Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Palace Manager

Comments

• Options
    Obviously hoping it goes belly up for them but he has at least shown some promise in making a positive change to a team.

7th with Nice in his first season, getting good tunes out of Balotelli and Saint Maximan. A better finish than Lucien Favre had done the season before. Then the next season finished 5th.

Is he the guy to walk into an aged squad, players out of contract all over the place, not alot of money and make everything OK? I'd be very surprised if he was but as with other seasons, there always seem to be enough other teams who are shitter than Palace to keep them there. 

Please let this be the year! 
  • Options
    I hope he has a fantastic contract, brings in a lot of players, shifts out most of the current squad, plays tippy tappy football with players who can't and finds the job more challenging than Karel Fraeye found us.

• Options
    Not sure how many loanees PL clubs can have but assume he will just tap up Man City and Arsenal for a ton of their players.
  • Options
    Yep right stop all the pitter pattering around... THOSE STRIPEY CARNTS ARE GOING DOWN THIS SEASON!

(Repeat 40,000 times)
  • Options
    Next season will be palaces 15th consecutive season finishing above us , the last one we were above them was our Prem relegation season 
    they’ve spent the last 9 seasons in the Prem while we’ve been flapping about in league fucking one for most of that. 
    their last season in the third tier was 45 years ago ffs 

these are shithouse disgraceful times for us and our second (Surrey based) rivals 
    It’s such a horrible set of stats that I don’t think about them. Let alone type them out with such inevitable monotony. 
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    @Henry Irving will you stop spoiling the moment?

You've lived in Bromley too long and will be wearing a red and blue cardy sooner or later.
    You live in Maidstone!  You''re practically French

Living on the front line here we have more reason than most to hope that Palace crash and burn but we'll wait for it to happen before we start the street parties
    By this logic we shouldn’t enjoy anything until we’ve won it. I just don’t get that logic. We might as well not enjoy beating Germany. Not enjoy any of Wimbledon. Not post on the forum about anything we’re excited about. 

Right now Palace are in an extremely precarious position. The worst place they’ve been since De Boer left. Nobody is saying they’re 100% fucked - I count at least 8 teams that will probably finish below them still - but blimey, what’s the point in (Charlton) Life if we can’t get together in some sort of support group and share our hope?!
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Why do young English managers not get chances to manage in the Prem and ex world class players get these sort of opportunities all of the time ? Even someone like Eddie Howe isn't getting a sniff. It seems the only English managers are ones who win promotion. 

One of our best managers Lennie Lawrence never even played league football. He stumbled into the job here following Ken Craggs' exit.

Lets hope this backfires on them. 
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Addickted said:

You've lived in Bromley too long and will be wearing a red and blue cardy sooner or later.

Living on the front line here we have more reason than most to hope that Palace crash and burn but we'll wait for it to happen before we start the street parties
    By this logic we shouldn’t enjoy anything until we’ve won it. I just don’t get that logic. We might as well not enjoy beating Germany. Not enjoy any of Wimbledon. Not post on the forum about anything we’re excited about. 

Right now Palace are in an extremely precarious position. The worst place they’ve been since De Boer left. Nobody is saying they’re 100% fucked - I count at least 8 teams that will probably finish below them still - but blimey, what’s the point in (Charlton) Life if we can’t get together in some sort of support group and share our hope?!
    That's totally illogical.

You can enjoy beating Germany as it has happened.

You can't enjoy England winning Euro 2020 as it hasn't happened.

You can enjoy Wimbledon as a display of excellent tennis but not Andy Murray being knocked out as he hasn't been. Yet

Just like Palace haven't gone down.  Yet.

And yes, people are saying they are 100% fucked, that was my point.   

Even you are saying that you think they will probably finish 12th ie higher than last season but they are in the "worst place they've been since De Boer left them"?  Remember they stayed up that season too.

Nonsensical.

la vendetta è un piatto che va servito freddo

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Addickted said:

Unless it's the Tapas.

To be fair with the Compiegne episode I had six bottles of Bishops Finger by the time I got there and was wearing a full collection of remembrance poppies.

Thinking now, it was probably Cliff that tried to stop me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Addickted said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Addickted said:

Unless it's the Tapas.

To be fair with the Compiegne episode I had six bottles of Bishops Finger by the time I got there and was wearing a full collection of remembrance poppies.

Thinking now, it was probably Cliff that tried to stop me.
    So your usual breakfast then.

We did go to Compiegne another time together but it was Cliff who was with you when you drunkenly interrupted a ceremony on remembrance Sunday 

How is old Cliff, haven't heard from him for ages?

• Options
    Wouldn't write them off that soon, Always liked Vieras style and some of his displays at Arsenal where world class, if that translate to Prem success we will have to wait and see... do i want them to go down... OH YES.....but lets wait until the drop is certain.

And don't forget they still  get a serious amount of wedge in parachute payments.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Addickted said:

That's totally illogical.

You can enjoy beating Germany as it has happened.

You can't enjoy England winning Euro 2020 as it hasn't happened.

You can enjoy Wimbledon as a display of excellent tennis but not Andy Murray being knocked out as he hasn't been. Yet

Just like Palace haven't gone down.  Yet.

And yes, people are saying they are 100% fucked, that was my point.   

Even you are saying that you think they will probably finish 12th ie higher than last season but they are in the "worst place they've been since De Boer left them"?  Remember they stayed up that season too.

Nonsensical.

I didn't intend to say I think they will finish 12th - I think there are eight teams (that could provide the three required) that might be so abysmal they could, yet again, save Palace. That doesn't stop them being in the worst position they've been in since De Boer though, does it?  We need a lot of things to go our way for the dream to be fulfilled, but that doesn't mean Palace are in good shape. 

Either way, I am going to - along with a bunch of people here - savour their major fuck ups, defeats and all-round general incompetence along the way (just as we savour tournament wins along the way), and either hope those of you who don't wish to join us don't open the thread, or just try and ignore the 'Palace are doing so well' stuff we have to put up with. After all, if England don't win the tournament, you're not going to say "I told you so" to anyone who dared dream.... are you? 

edit - "And yes, people are saying they are 100% fucked, that was my point." Who said that? Could you pull out a quote? 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    @jimmymelrose

"Yep right stop all the pitter pattering around... THOSE STRIPEY CARNTS ARE GOING DOWN THIS SEASON!

(Repeat 40,000 times)"

QED
  • Options
    @jimmymelrose

"Yep right stop all the pitter pattering around... THOSE STRIPEY CARNTS ARE GOING DOWN THIS SEASON!

(Repeat 40,000 times)"

QED
    Worth a 'promote' that one.
  • Options
    @jimmymelrose

(Repeat 40,000 times)"

QED
    You seem like a fun guy! 
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    @jimmymelrose

(Repeat 40,000 times)"

QED
    You seem like a fun guy! 
    Stop flirting stud.
  • Options
    People never learn.

Start the gloating and celebrating when they go down not before a ball has been kicked.

Every season there is a similar "palace relegation watch" thread that goes very quiet by May.
    Hopefully the likes of Allardyce wont be available come October / November when Vieira gets sacked.

Although he certainly showed he couldnt save West Brom last season
    That's the thing.

Much as I hope they crash and burn they have a habit of acting quickly when they are in a mess.

I also remember a similar premature celebrations when "rubbish" Roy Hodgson was appointed
    I was pissed off when they appointed Hodgson because he was a very good fit for them, he had done brilliantly at other middling Premier League clubs like Fulham and WBA and knows how to set a team up.

The football won’t be pretty, it will be pragmatic above all else but it will get you 50 points and safety and you will only hit trouble when fans and owners starting “wanting more” and you then fall away trying to be something you’re not.

It seems from the outside that Palace are, once again, trying to break out of their established way of playing and that could backfire on them again,
  • Options
    Expect the worse and anything else is a bonus …. 
    And just be grateful it’s not our real rivals,  just one that takes forever to get to , probably as long as it takes palace to get to Brighton and we all know that’s a weird rivalry .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No way of knowing how Viera will do. Hope he flunks of course but he could just as easily do well. No point in worrying about it. It is what it is. Concentrate on Charlton overhauling them not them plummeting past us.
  • Options
    @jimmymelrose

(Repeat 40,000 times)"

QED
    Lol, what? What's this got to do with me?

I haven't said anything about it? ,🤔
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    @jimmymelrose

(Repeat 40,000 times)"

QED
    Worth a 'promote' that one.
    Worth a relegate more like.
  • Options
    Only agreed verbally still ..Russell slade still in the running 
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Not a success in USA at NYFC....could take them down with any luck
    From wiki - 'New York City improved its position in the MLS standings in each of his years with the club, improving from 17th in 2015 to 4th in Vieira's first season in 2016 and then to 2nd in 2017'.
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    From wiki - 'New York City improved its position in the MLS standings in each of his years with the club, improving from 17th in 2015 to 4th in Vieira's first season in 2016 and then to 2nd in 2017'.
    I don’t know what NYC’s expectations were, but given they’re owned by the same mob as Manchester City, I’d imagine they were higher than that. And that Wiki entry was almost certainly written by his management team. 
  • Options
    It's not a manager they need,  more like people to muck out that zoo at shithurst. 
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    ct_addick said:
    I don’t know what NYC’s expectations were, but given they’re owned by the same mob as Manchester City, I’d imagine they were higher than that. And that Wiki entry was almost certainly written by his management team. 
    MLS has a salary cap though, so they can't go and buy a ton of players. Think you can only have 3 designated players over the cap. So in general he would've had to work with what he had, and 17th to 2nd in 2 years is fairly decent.

Don't get me wrong though, i'm not saying it's a great appointment. Definitely a risky one for Palace. It goes tits up, he'll be gone by Christmas, but if it works out well he'll be touted as the next Arsenal manager.