Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Palace Manager

Comments

• Options
    Has it been officially announced by Palace yet?
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    ct_addick said:
    Not a success in USA at NYFC....could take them down with any luck
    From wiki - 'New York City improved its position in the MLS standings in each of his years with the club, improving from 17th in 2015 to 4th in Vieira's first season in 2016 and then to 2nd in 2017'.
    I don’t know what NYC’s expectations were, but given they’re owned by the same mob as Manchester City, I’d imagine they were higher than that. And that Wiki entry was almost certainly written by his management team. 
    MLS has a salary cap though, so they can't go and buy a ton of players. Think you can only have 3 designated players over the cap. So in general he would've had to work with what he had, and 17th to 2nd in 2 years is fairly decent.

Don't get me wrong though, i'm not saying it's a great appointment. Definitely a risky one for Palace. It goes tits up, he'll be gone by Christmas, but if it works out well he'll be touted as the next Arsenal manager.
    is it a salary cap for the squad or just how much you pay individuals?
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Addickted said:
    @Henry Irving will you stop spoiling the moment?

You've lived in Bromley too long and will be wearing a red and blue cardy sooner or later.
    You live in Maidstone!  You''re practically French

Living on the front line here we have more reason than most to hope that Palace crash and burn but we'll wait for it to happen before we start the street parties
    By this logic we shouldn’t enjoy anything until we’ve won it. I just don’t get that logic. We might as well not enjoy beating Germany. Not enjoy any of Wimbledon. Not post on the forum about anything we’re excited about. 

Right now Palace are in an extremely precarious position. The worst place they’ve been since De Boer left. Nobody is saying they’re 100% fucked - I count at least 8 teams that will probably finish below them still - but blimey, what’s the point in (Charlton) Life if we can’t get together in some sort of support group and share our hope?!
    As the novelist and poet Charles Kingsley said, All we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about.  

I will be very, very disappointed if Palace are not relegated by Guy Fawkes Night.  And the fact it's unlikely to happen isn't going to dampen my hope that it will.  

And if we reach the 6th of November with them still, mathematically able to stay up, I will simply change my deadline and wish for their relegation to be confirmed by Christmas.  And if not then, New Year's Eve, Valentine's Day, the vernal equinox, April Fools' Day or the end of the season.  

I won't have my irrational hope diminished by logical expectation. Where is the fun in looking backwards in monochrome hindsight, compared to the glorious technicolour aspiration of seeing their season finish, miserably, as soon as possible?  

I support - and will always support - two teams.  My first is Charlton.  And my second remains 'whoever Palace are playing'. 

I want the main course of my football season to be a large serving of Charlton promotion.  But I am also looking forward to a glorious appetiser in the form of an early relegation for the Croydonians.  

I am not going to predict their relegation, merely hope for it.  But if you want a sign as to when it might come, look no further than the bard.  'Death, a necessary end, will come when it will come'.  That, as I am sure everyone knows is from the Julius Caesar, referring to the Ides of March.  So, lump on the stripey mugs to be relegated by 15 March.     
    Admin - another 'Promote' post for @Chizz please.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    ct_addick said:
    Not a success in USA at NYFC....could take them down with any luck
    From wiki - 'New York City improved its position in the MLS standings in each of his years with the club, improving from 17th in 2015 to 4th in Vieira's first season in 2016 and then to 2nd in 2017'.
    I don’t know what NYC’s expectations were, but given they’re owned by the same mob as Manchester City, I’d imagine they were higher than that. And that Wiki entry was almost certainly written by his management team. 
    MLS has a salary cap though, so they can't go and buy a ton of players. Think you can only have 3 designated players over the cap. So in general he would've had to work with what he had, and 17th to 2nd in 2 years is fairly decent.

Don't get me wrong though, i'm not saying it's a great appointment. Definitely a risky one for Palace. It goes tits up, he'll be gone by Christmas, but if it works out well he'll be touted as the next Arsenal manager.
    is it a salary cap for the squad or just how much you pay individuals?
    "in 2021 the maximum salary that can be spent on any player is $651,250. Designated Players are an exception to this rule. Their salaries may exceed the maximum charge."

Zlatan for example as a designated player was earning millions whilst most of the squad were on 12k a week or less.
  • Options
    England lose to Ukraine then palace fans will be screaming announce Southgate
  • Options
    If Southgate got sacked by England I'd be delighted if he ended up at Palace

For all my defence of him, he is nealry as bad as Chris Coleman when it comes to club management
  • Options
    He took Boro down after several years in the Premier League let's hope Palace appoint him and he has the same effect on them.
  • Options

For all my defence of him, he is nealry as bad as Chris Coleman when it comes to club management
    That was ages ago. He's got loads of valuable experience since. He'd do a better job now than Hodgson.
  • Options

That was ages ago. He's got loads of valuable experience since. He'd do a better job now than Hodgson.
    Sunderland probably thought the same with Coleman.

Although to be fair; Southgate was probably harshly treated by Middlesbrough, lasted three years before they got relegated (two years finished mid-table) - His fourth season he got sacked when they were fourth in the Championship, Middlesbrough ended up 11th that year and spent another six years trying to get back to the Premier League where they spent just one season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He got sacked and then they appointed Gordon Strachan who signed loads of dross from north of the border.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Addickted said:

You've lived in Bromley too long and will be wearing a red and blue cardy sooner or later.

Living on the front line here we have more reason than most to hope that Palace crash and burn but we'll wait for it to happen before we start the street parties
    By this logic we shouldn’t enjoy anything until we’ve won it. I just don’t get that logic. We might as well not enjoy beating Germany. Not enjoy any of Wimbledon. Not post on the forum about anything we’re excited about. 

Right now Palace are in an extremely precarious position. The worst place they’ve been since De Boer left. Nobody is saying they’re 100% fucked - I count at least 8 teams that will probably finish below them still - but blimey, what’s the point in (Charlton) Life if we can’t get together in some sort of support group and share our hope?!
    As the novelist and poet Charles Kingsley said, All we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about.  

I will be very, very disappointed if Palace are not relegated by Guy Fawkes Night.  And the fact it's unlikely to happen isn't going to dampen my hope that it will.  

And if we reach the 6th of November with them still, mathematically able to stay up, I will simply change my deadline and wish for their relegation to be confirmed by Christmas.  And if not then, New Year's Eve, Valentine's Day, the vernal equinox, April Fools' Day or the end of the season.  

I won't have my irrational hope diminished by logical expectation. Where is the fun in looking backwards in monochrome hindsight, compared to the glorious technicolour aspiration of seeing their season finish, miserably, as soon as possible?  

I support - and will always support - two teams.  My first is Charlton.  And my second remains 'whoever Palace are playing'. 

I want the main course of my football season to be a large serving of Charlton promotion.  But I am also looking forward to a glorious appetiser in the form of an early relegation for the Croydonians.  

I am not going to predict their relegation, merely hope for it.  But if you want a sign as to when it might come, look no further than the bard.  'Death, a necessary end, will come when it will come'.  That, as I am sure everyone knows is from the Julius Caesar, referring to the Ides of March.  So, lump on the stripey mugs to be relegated by 15 March.     
    3 likes for this is a joke. 

Arise Sir Chizz
  • Options
    Jon Fortune   special agent
  • Options
    Numbers said:
    Chizz said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Addickted said:

3 likes for this is a joke. 

Arise Sir Chizz
    A contender for post of the year from @chizz there!
  • Options
    People never learn.

Start the gloating and celebrating when they go down not before a ball has been kicked.

Every season there is a similar "palace relegation watch" thread that goes very quiet by May.

• Options
    Dark, dark times. Chelsea are beatable, they've already taken 4 points off City this season. They beat a formidable Liverpool side to get to the final in '90. I feel like fate and omens are coming together in favour of the pathetic dweebs from Croydon. 

Just the thought of what might be too come makes me sick to my guts. 
  • Options
    Whatever happens, they are still Palaaarse … so fuck ‘em 
  • Options
    Sickening day for football.
  • Options
    I bet Forest get through and the scummy jammy Surrey divers get them. Millwall away is the hardest game they've had in their route to the semis. Gits. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don’t worry about Palace - we are miles behind them. Our rivals are Cambridge.
  • Options
    And there lies the problem.
  • Options
    It's the one thing we have had over them all these years. A trophy.
    I don't think I can bear it if they won it.
    Let's hope their dreams go the same way as Allison's Fedora, Coppell's 'Wrighty and Brighty' team and Pardew's Dance.

• Options
    Bilko said:
    Not a problem, our rivals could be Sutton next season.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Bilko said:
    Not a problem, our rivals could be Sutton next season.
    And ebbsfleet the season after. 
  • Options
    cblock said:
    Jon Fortune   special agent
    Whatever them pricks do or say, the 15th May 2005 will forever haunt them.
  • Options
    Chelsea will be desperate for the trophy, for the prize money! 

We’ll still be the only fa cup winners in SE london
  • Options
    The only consolation is that at least it’s not our real local rivals … i mean seriously it takes as long to get there as it does them to get to Brighton 
  • Options
    sammy391 said:
    Chelsea will be desperate for the trophy, for the prize money! 

We’ll still be the only fa cup winners in SE London
    We will always be the only FA Cup winners in the borough of Greenwich. No one will ever take that away from us. 
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    MrLargo said:
    Dark, dark times. Chelsea are beatable, they've already taken 4 points off City this season. They beat a formidable Liverpool side to get to the final in '90. I feel like fate and omens are coming together in favour of the pathetic dweebs from Croydon. 

Just the thought of what might be too come makes me sick to my guts. 
    Palace without Gallagher haven’t got a prayer of beating Chelsea.

Firmly believe Vieira has got lucky this year. Conor has been carrying that club with some of his performances in the middle of the park.

He is going to be very hard to replace next season. Worth a small amount on them to be relegated in 2023. It’s about time.