Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

George Dobson - Gone to Wrexham p136, farewell message p142

Comments

• The whole saga went on too long. Good luck Dobson, Wrexham are lucky to have ya, but..

• AndyG said:
    Good luck George all the best. The way this has all been handled is ridiculous even for us 
    AndyG said:
    Good luck George all the best. The way this has all been handled is ridiculous even for us 
    Thought George Best had moved to Wrexham.   

Now he was a player👍
  • Hales, Flanagan, Walsh, Elliot, Robert Lee, Andy Reed, Kermorgant, Konsa, Gomez, what's new!
    Charlton being Charlton.
    Sorry he is not in that class,but I know what you mean.

Did we get money for Andy Reid ?
  • Hal1x said:
    Not a surprising move, he was always one who loved the limelight when he was here, real big time charlie, expect him to fit in well over in hollywood

Dont be absurd.
    I thought it was an absurd enough comment it was clearly in jest, maybe not!

• Wrexham will easily have the biggest playing budget in the league this year. Number of fans is one thing, but their sponsorship is the key. The TV show gives sponsors a reach not matched even by many Premier League clubs, there is a reason why their shirt sponsors are TikTok.
  • Apparently told Fehervar his wife wanted to stay in London...
    Didn't want to move country, then moved country. 
  • Good luck to George,never let us down,but we move on,we have some decent midfielders now,so I dont think we will miss him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Carter said:
    Gribbo said:
    Not sure why people think Wrexham are rolling in money. Their owners are famous, but I don't personally think they're wealthy enough sustain the amount of investment we know is needed to step it up. They're doing okay at the moment because they're getting good gates off the back of being in the limelight, and maybe some other streams of income, off the back of their owners and the documentary. Maybe the owners could attract a bit more invest as and when the time comes, but that's if they don't start getting bored in the meantime.
    I wish I could agree with you. The way to compare is who has genuine financial resources at the level. That Disney plus show is pulling them in millions of not just eyes but revenue. A mate of mine lives in California and sees people mincing around wearing Wrexham shirts, the revenue from the show will be substantial given the access they have, the merchandise revenue worldwide, the sponsorship deal they have which will be vastly inflated due to the aforementioned Disney plus exposure then you have the personal substantial wealth of one of the biggest draws in cinema plus both of them being independently wealthy from the production companies they own. Yeah, they can sustain Wrexham for a while yet. 

The legacy when they get bored will be a huge worldwide following that I'm sure will wilt over time once Ryan Reynolds and Rob McIlhenney walk away but in fairness to them they are spending money where it needs spending, training facilities, the ground, the overall club infrastructure. 

Yeah, fair enough. And I suppose the more successful the team do get, the bigger that global (US) support will get....

• Wrexham will easily have the biggest playing budget in the league this year. Number of fans is one thing, but their sponsorship is the key. The TV show gives sponsors a reach not matched even by many Premier League clubs, there is a reason why their shirt sponsors are TikTok.
    Birmingham?
  • Carter said:
    Gribbo said:
    Not sure why people think Wrexham are rolling in money. Their owners are famous, but I don't personally think they're wealthy enough sustain the amount of investment we know is needed to step it up. They're doing okay at the moment because they're getting good gates off the back of being in the limelight, and maybe some other streams of income, off the back of their owners and the documentary. Maybe the owners could attract a bit more invest as and when the time comes, but that's if they don't start getting bored in the meantime.
    I wish I could agree with you. The way to compare is who has genuine financial resources at the level. That Disney plus show is pulling them in millions of not just eyes but revenue. A mate of mine lives in California and sees people mincing around wearing Wrexham shirts, the revenue from the show will be substantial given the access they have, the merchandise revenue worldwide, the sponsorship deal they have which will be vastly inflated due to the aforementioned Disney plus exposure then you have the personal substantial wealth of one of the biggest draws in cinema plus both of them being independently wealthy from the production companies they own. Yeah, they can sustain Wrexham for a while yet. 

The legacy when they get bored will be a huge worldwide following that I'm sure will wilt over time once Ryan Reynolds and Rob McIlhenney walk away but in fairness to them they are spending money where it needs spending, training facilities, the ground, the overall club infrastructure. 

According to this article here https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ryan-reynolds-made-over-450-222854697.html

"Reynolds reportedly owned a 25% stake in Mint Mobile at the time of its $1.35 billion sale to T-Mobile, netting the famous actor over $330 million. The actor also cofounded and sold Aviation American Gin for $610 million. Reynolds reportedly netted as much as $122 million from the deal. "

His Deadpool 3 base salary is reported to be $30 million with backend deals netting him approximately another $35-50 million (Deadpool 2 was $20 million base with approx $30 million on the back of the films $786 million gross). This, coupled with the fact that the Disney fee covers the running costs of the club, I don't think the ugly sod is going end up on the streets with Blake Lively at all. 
  • Personally I’m not overly fussed with Dobson. Would've been nice to have him back but what's done is done and we move on. As much as we love him, there's a reason why he's never progressed above league one.

I think we'll find that Berry and Docherty will actually prove to be better players and we won't miss Dobson at all.

Will they be better players that can play 3 games a week ?
    Will they play over 40 League matches in a season ?
    So many midfielders that have come to CAFC in recent seasons were going to be better players than George.
    Some weren't even better than Albie Morgan 🙄
  • If Dobson wanted to be at Charlton then he would. Wrexham will be top six this season. They have the money to compete. Move on. 
  • Personally I’m not overly fussed with Dobson. Would've been nice to have him back but what's done is done and we move on. As much as we love him, there's a reason why he's never progressed above league one.

I think we'll find that Berry and Docherty will actually prove to be better players and we won't miss Dobson at all.

So many midfielders that have come to CAFC in recent seasons were going to be better players than George.
    Docherty yes, looking at his record there is absolutely nothing to suggest he won't be able to play most games.
    Berry no idea as he's a bit older, but who says he has to play over 40 league games anyway? If we got around 35 games from him then that might be enough. No one is expecting everyone to play every game, that's why Jones is building a squad.
  • Gribbo said:
    Carter said:
    Gribbo said:

Yeah, fair enough. And I suppose the more successful the team do get, the bigger that global (US) support will get....

I suspect they might find it a lot harder this season. Wrexham’s success so far has come from them being a big fish in a small pond each successive season. This division is where it gets harder because it’s a shark tank with blood dripping into the water. We had the EFL’s top scorer and we flirted with relegation.
  • edited July 7
    Personally I’m not overly fussed with Dobson. Would've been nice to have him back but what's done is done and we move on. As much as we love him, there's a reason why he's never progressed above league one.

Docherty yes, looking at his record there is absolutely nothing to suggest he won't be able to play most games.
    Berry no idea as he's a bit older, but who says he has to play over 40 league games anyway? If we got around 35 games from him then that might be enough. No one is expecting everyone to play every game, that's why Jones is building a squad.

Good point on Berry.
    We need potentially 16 players to be involved in the 90+ minutes and to be successful most teams need about 6 to play most of the time.
    This is a new era with Dobson, May and CBT now just ex players.
    It's great that Nathan Jones will own this squad.
    We know that he wanted Dobson to stay but it appears to be his decision that May moved on. Obviously May realized that the set up wasn't ideal for him under Nathan so he needed to move on; this happens at most clubs but it is a gamble for Jones with Alfie goal record.
    A big call for Jones and he needs the half dozen players who will be part of the attacking process to step up to the plate and all chip in with goals.

The 11 players on the field at the business end of a match and I mean in the last 20 minutes and not putting on an attacking sub in added time (I agree with Ivan Toney that he felt disgusted) are important.

I agree with you Chris a strong squad will make as contenders and not just 1 or 2 players.
  • Sponsored links:

• sam3110 said:
    siblers said:
    Not gone to one of the genuine promotion favourites like Birmingham or Huddersfield. A big step up for Wrexham in this league, I can see them upper mid table but no higher this season.
    Think I'd rather play for Wrexham over the other two, probably higher wages, bigger crowds, better atmosphere plus being in the documentary plays a part  and if they can continue to throw money at players, they've a fairly good chance of going up
    Bigger crowds? Their stadium holds less than half of ours! Even Huddersfield's is a full 11k bigger, and St Andrews is 2.5x the size!
    Bums on seats are similar to ours.

There are not many empty seats at The Racecourse.
    That's comparing a team with 2 years of success against one with 2-3 years of failure. If/when we start challenging properly, we'll get much bigger gates.
    Agreed, but was answering Samuel relating to now.
    Who's this Samuel you speak of?

The point is whatever trajectory Wrexham are on right now, as it stands they are a much smaller club than Birmingham, Huddersfield and us, in many different ways, from history, to relatively recent success, and their peak right now is on a par with our lowest ever point. 

Dobson has gone there for money and for the hope they continue on an upward trajectory, not because the crowds are bigger and the atmosphere is better
  • Gribbo said:
    That’s part of the problem (for us at least!), those other income streams that Wrexham can attract off the back of their bandwagon are massive. I think things may slow down a bit when they reach the Championship where you start to see the stakes increase significantly, but at our level they will be light years ahead of anyone else in revenue generation.  
  • Good luck George. You will be missed.

I would be amazed if we finish above Wrexham this coming season. They already have the core of a decent team and there is not a huge gulf between top of League 2 and most of League 1.
  • The Charlton owners have financially backed NJ on player signings far more than Reynolds has Parkinson. If Charltons board had spent no more than £350k on a player like Wrexham there would be people on here saying where is the clubs ambition . 

Yes he has made them more high profile due to his Hollywood status but where are all these big money signings they are constantly linked with. His policy of high wages  on freebies will only get them so far.
  • The Charlton owners have financially backed NJ on player signings far more than Reynolds has Parkinson. If Charltons board had spent no more than £350k on a player like Wrexham there would be people on here saying where is the clubs ambition . 

Yes he has made them more high profile due to his Hollywood status but where are all these big money signings they are constantly linked with. His policy of high wages  on freebies will only get them so far.
    Fee for Brunt is rumoured to be high 6 figures. But the other 2 signings so far this window are both free transfers.
  • edited July 7
    Reminder...George Dobson don't play for us anymore...

...this saga is getting rather tiresome...can we please just let it be...🥱🥱