Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

George Dobson - Gone to Wrexham p136, farewell message p142

Comments

• Had hoped it was a bit of a standoff over contract terms, sign or we'll drop you v I want better terms or I'm off to Hungary.

Seems sadly not.

Think it would be daft selling him - dont think he's the type who would sulk like CBT did, and while there would be some merit in the argument of getting something in now rather than lose a player on a free if we were in midtable, as we're at risk of going down, there's a strong feeling that losing one of your best players for a small fee is a false economy.
    Especially if -as alleged - he is on less wages than Tennai Watson  who in  every game shows us why he was considered surplus by MKD. 
    I don't think he was "considered surplus," I think MK Dons were relegated and his contract was up. There were rumors of Championship interest from Birmingham and one other club.

This is not to say he should make more than Dobbo or less than Dobbo, it's to clarify the circumstances. 

Brownie12 said:
    masicat same 
    Overrated pler as waouuuts CBT. Could do abwith him for the next 16 games, but next season he would be on the bench.
    cos of all the other players we have who are better? 
    Let see what they are capable of under a proper manager. 
    Same could  be said about Dobson.

Collectively, there seems to be a tenancy to rationalise player departures by saying "we can get better than him" when all the evidence is that we've repeatedly failed to do so.

There are a lot of better players than Dobson out there but there are also a lot worse.

There are very few of either though who stay fit or work harder than him.
    True under many circumstances, but in this case we have two players in Coventry and Taylor who want to play in thee same role as Dobson. Whether or not they're better, time will tell. But this is a rare case of us having the replacements lined up before we let a player go. 
  • 'We aren't missing Dobson' while we get carved out repeatedly down the middle of the park. 

I haven't seen a replacement that is 'better' so far. 
    How did I know someone would say this, and how did I know it was going to be you.

It’s such a nonsensical comment. 

We’ve been carved out repeatedly down the middle of the park in plenty of games Dobson has played as well.

Just as if we go on and win this 2 - 0 now that won’t mean it was a good idea we didn’t offer him a better contract.

Literally no one knows at this stage. 
    It's like you missed the second half of my post. 

I haven't seen a replacement that is better. And some of the 'replacements' have been here a while now. 
  • edited February 10
    Croydon said:
    Find this all very weird. Why not see out your contract and see what offers you get at the end of the season. Worst case scenario you sign for another League One club or move abroad then.
    Who says they were allowed to? 

Dobson was forced to train with the youngers so clearly he was being pushed out. 
    What was to stop him from training with the U23s until the summer?

Worst case scenario he's banned from Sparrows Lane (whether we'd be allowed to do that or not, I'm unsure), and has to train like a Free Agent - He'd then get his revenge, by ensuring that the club got no money for him this summer, and he'd then be able to pocket a bit extra through a signing on fee.
    Fucking hell. Some way to treat your club captain. 
    You missed my post where I disagree with the fact that he's training with the U23s in the first place

The post you've quoted - I'm asking whats to stop Dobson from going: "Okay I'll train with the U23s where you've put me till the end of the season, and then leave for nothing"

But fair enough!!
  • edited February 10
    I just want to sum up what we're being told by ITK posters:
    1. Dobbo's contract expires in the summer and the club offered him a new deal on minimally higher wages
    2. Dobbo rejected this deal feeling he was worth more and hoping the club would improve their offer 
    3. Whether the club countered or how negotiations went from there we don't know, but Dobbo was left unhappy with what was on offer. 
    4. The club and player proceeded to negotiate a transfer fee and wages to another club for the player. 
    5. The player was made to train with the U21s while the transfer was being finalized.

If this is true, and if I'm being honest, the only even slightly abnormal part is step 5, and that's by no means unheard of. I think Dobbo deserves better in his last week at the club. But everything else is how football works. Dobbo's camp can say "it's not about money" but it clearly is, and that's understandable and okay. If it wasn't about the money he'd sign the new deal.

But he has every right to demand, and find, the wages he thinks he's worth. 

Yes he's our club captain and yes I wish things worked out better. And even more so than with CBT, if we're going to lose him in the summer and (unlike with CBT) if he isn't considered first choice then it makes sense for the club to cash in. 

It feels like people view Dobbo as being "exiled" to Hungary, and it seems to really skew the perception compared to if he were moving to Cheltenham or Orient. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Edun gets two bites at the Cherry and still ends up with a mouthful of carrot. Fucking useless. May quite rightly livid at the far post. 
  • If we do our customary defensive comedy act in the second half a lose then I think this thread is going to light up tilt.
  • Brownie12 said:
    Edun gets two bites at the Cherry and still ends up with a mouthful of carrot. Fucking useless. May quite rightly livid at the far post. 
    What about Dobbo though?!?!? Wouldn’t have happened if he was playing..
    Exactly my point. *cough*. 
  • Brownie12 said:
    masicat same 
    Overrated pler as waouuuts CBT. Could do abwith him for the next 16 games, but next season he would be on the bench.
    Let see what they are capable of under a proper manager. 
    Same could  be said about Dobson.

Collectively, there seems to be a tenancy to rationalise player departures by saying "we can get better than him" when all the evidence is that we've repeatedly failed to do so.

There are a lot of better players than Dobson out there but there are also a lot worse.

There are very few of either though who stay fit or work harder than him.
    Finally, my opinion. I don't understand why we always come out with we can do better bollox. How many times do we need to be burnt before we realise this is in recent years with our recruitment is very rarely the case. 

• At least we’ve got Connor Coventry! 
  • And bakinson! Woooooo!
  • 'We aren't missing Dobson' while we get carved out repeatedly down the middle of the park. 

How did I know someone would say this, and how did I know it was going to be you.

We’ve been carved out repeatedly down the middle of the park in plenty of games Dobson has played as well.

Just as if we go on and win this 2 - 0 now that won’t mean it was a good idea we didn’t offer him a better contract.

I haven't seen a replacement that is better. And some of the 'replacements' have been here a while now. 
    So according to your logic we can keep Dobson and not win in 14 games or lose him and continue to not win but also get money. Whether the replacements are better than Dobson or not it's not like he's the glue that has been holding this team together, we're absolutely useless with him as well
  • edited February 10
    'We aren't missing Dobson' while we get carved out repeatedly down the middle of the park. 

So according to your logic we can keep Dobson and not win in 14 games or lose him and continue to not win but also get money. Whether the replacements are better than Dobson or not it's not like he's the glue that has been holding this team together, we're absolutely useless with him as well
    We had reached January in a poor position and need urgent support in the transfer window. 

We've sold our two best players (other than May) and our only creative midfielder (even though he was playing poorly). We have replaced one of them and the replacements have been dire. 

It's not specifically Dobson, it's the terrible approach to the entire window. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Brownie12 said:
    masicat said:
    Overrated player as was CBT. Could do with him for the next 16 games, but next season he would be on the bench.
    Let‘s see what they are capable of under a proper manager. 
    Yep - let’s. In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. 
  • edited February 10
    @SDAddick

Your point 4. Based on which post do you assert that this has happened?

i do not see a post that says that. There are just a couple of people who have said “he’s gone” and others simply believe them and assume  that this is what must have happened. 

When we see something from either the Fehervar club or a reliable HU medium which confirms that, we can believe it. Otherwise it is just an assumption which begs a number of questions, two of which I put to our Fehervar fan Lifer. 

• @SDAddick

Your point 4. Based on which post do you assert that this has happened?

i do not see a post that says that. There are just a couple of people who have said “he’s gone” and others simply believe them and assume  that this is what must have happened. 

When we see something from either the Fekervar club or a reliable HU medium which confirms that, we can believe it. Otherwise it is just an assumption which begs a number of questions, two of which I put to our Fekervar fan Lifer. 

My post was based around those two posters and I led in with something like "If this is true." I have no way or validating it and we'll learn more officially in the coming days. 

I think your skepticism is valid and I share it. I was more pointing to the fact that some people seemed outraged over what is largely a pretty normal process in football. 
  • They can't get CBT and Fraser back but as we now have a manager surely he can persuade one of our better players to remain
  • se9addick said:
    I don’t even care if he’s signed a pre-contract in Hungary (which sounds insane, but whatever), if he’s available for the rest of the year get him in the team. 
    Hungarian window is still open. I would guess he’s gone immediately.