Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

George Dobson - Gone to Wrexham p136, farewell message p142

Comments

• I wish we could have all given Dobbo a decent thank you and send off. It’s not like we will even be seeing him back at the Valley in an oppo’s kit, he’s off to Hungary, which is one of the strangest transfers in our history, surely?

For our current level, thought he gave everything he could and battled like three players in one. In fact surrounded by some of the shirkers he has played with in midfield, he was playing for three players in one in most games he played for us.
  • Carter said:
    sam3110 said:
    Still think a lot of people are putting too much emphasis on Dobson's influence in keeping us up.

Remember he's played 95% of this season and we're only out of the relegation places on goal difference

Surely if he's that much of a difference maker we wouldn't be down there in the first place
    He can't be everywhere. The defence being a collective of braindead mutes isn't on him. The midfield is so easy for sides to get past without him in it 

He was also integral in the midfield that sides got past with ease in the rest of the season
  • Sponsored links:

• It’s about money plain and simple. Wasn’t happy with what he was offered. So chose to leave for more money. Simple as that. 
  • The window hasn't been that good has it?
  • Rudders22 said:
    IanC1960 said:
    mrbligh said:
    Gillis said:
    If you worked harder than any other employee at your organisation and had been the best performer there for the past few years, but your boss told you he didn't rate you and paid other employees (who put in less effort than you) better money, how long would you stick around?
    Just because the last regime made a mistake overpaying players doesn’t mean we should add those mistakes by overpaying others when it’s time for contract renewal. 

Agreed that he’s the best player at the club but not because he’s playing like a Championship calibre player, it’s because the players earning Championship calibre money haven’t been pulling their weight.

We had a valuation on how much a player of his ability was worth paying. His camp had a different valuation. That’s the business of football.
    The current regime is making mistakes overpaying players that play worse than Dobson. 
    That hardly negates the point I’m making. 

The money Dobson wants it sounds as though he can only get from a random club in Hungary. This isn’t a pre contract with a Championship club, or even another League One club. 

We created plenty of problems for ourselves elsewhere but I think that fact probably tells us that, for this particular contract negotiation, the club got it right.
    Utter nonsense. Captain. Player of the year and 2nd place player of the year the last two years. 26 years old so coming into his prime. Not worth 4K a week? Nonsense mate 
    Got a source on that number? I’d have guessed he was on about 4k per week on his last contract and if the rumours of a small increase are true…
    Yep, Mick Dobson
    I am not ITK, but I was told this by another fan in Crossbars, about a month ago. it is alleged that Fraser is on £10,000, and Dobbo is on about £4000. He would be happy to sign However, the contract he was offered was for a measly small increase amount. I was told by another person as well. The person i know in Crossbars indicated that this info came directly from Dobbo's Dad.  What I was told he was offered on a new contract I thought "The club are taking the piss".  When Fraser is on £10,000 and Dobbo is on £4000 and what he was offered. (I can't remember the exact figure, but if they offered him a decent contract he would have signed). 
    Did Dobson and Fraser sign under different owners?
  • Sponsored links:

• Seems to me there is more than meets the eye here. First of all I find it very odd that a player such as George voluntarily wants to go to Hungary. No offence to that league, but surely you would wait until the summer before making that decision. 

Secondly, why leave now. Club captain, has loved his time here up until this season. 

It could be the (rumoured) falling out between himself and Scott. But, again, seems odd that Scott (and by extension the ownership group) would essentially cut their noses off to spite their face. 

We will lose a lot more than 300k if we get relegated so that transfer fee becomes irrelevant.

If, and it’s a big if, George’s heart was no longer in it, I can see the sense in letting him go. We’re in a battle and need everyone pulling in the same direction. 

Very, very odd.
    I agree. Say George’s value is currently 300k, that’s with him having very limited options as most windows closed and only a few months left on his contract, his actual value in a normal market must be higher.  

So how are no clubs in the UK interested in signing a player with a regular value of over 300k for £0 in a few months time?  It doesn’t make sense. 

It’s an upsetting thought that something has gone so wrong that he wants to get out so badly with us in this mess. 

• Seems to me there is more than meets the eye here. First of all I find it very odd that a player such as George voluntarily wants to go to Hungary. No offence to that league, but surely you would wait until the summer before making that decision. 

Secondly, why leave now. Club captain, has loved his time here up until this season. 

It could be the (rumoured) falling out between himself and Scott. But, again, seems odd that Scott (and by extension the ownership group) would essentially cut their noses off to spite their face. 

We will lose a lot more than 300k if we get relegated so that transfer fee becomes irrelevant.

If, and it’s a big if, George’s heart was no longer in it, I can see the sense in letting him go. We’re in a battle and need everyone pulling in the same direction. 

Very, very odd.
    Dont think we saw any reduction in effort in the matches he has played recently. Can’t be easy playing for a club (Scott) who has told you he doesn’t rate you and who doesn’t want you……..
  • I'd love to have been a fly on the wall when AS advised Dobbo that he was an average L1 player.

What an utter bellend ! And what a credit to our club ...NOT ! 

I wonder whether those who feel that George made his decision based on the wage increase offered, read that he  would have still have been earning considerably less than T. Watson ...

Just think about what you witnessed at Reading this afternoon. 

The "performance " of said player merited that differential, did he ? 

This issue says FAR more about out main recruiter than it does about our ex 100%er. 

The whole thing stinks. 
    Dobson is an average League One player. He’s certainly not a Championship midfielder. That said, he’s an important player to Charlton and they should have tried to keep him for this season at least. 
  • Rudders22 said:
    IanC1960 said:
    mrbligh said:
    Gillis said:
    If you worked harder than any other employee at your organisation and had been the best performer there for the past few years, but your boss told you he didn't rate you and paid other employees (who put in less effort than you) better money, how long would you stick around?
    Just because the last regime made a mistake overpaying players doesn’t mean we should add those mistakes by overpaying others when it’s time for contract renewal. 

Agreed that he’s the best player at the club but not because he’s playing like a Championship calibre player, it’s because the players earning Championship calibre money haven’t been pulling their weight.

We had a valuation on how much a player of his ability was worth paying. His camp had a different valuation. That’s the business of football.
    The current regime is making mistakes overpaying players that play worse than Dobson. 

The money Dobson wants it sounds as though he can only get from a random club in Hungary. This isn’t a pre contract with a Championship club, or even another League One club. 

We created plenty of problems for ourselves elsewhere but I think that fact probably tells us that, for this particular contract negotiation, the club got it right.
    Utter nonsense. Captain. Player of the year and 2nd place player of the year the last two years. 26 years old so coming into his prime. Not worth 4K a week? Nonsense mate 
    Got a source on that number? I’d have guessed he was on about 4k per week on his last contract and if the rumours of a small increase are true…
    Yep, Mick Dobson
    I am not ITK, but I was told this by another fan in Crossbars, about a month ago. it is alleged that Fraser is on £10,000, and Dobbo is on about £4000. He would be happy to sign However, the contract he was offered was for a measly small increase amount. I was told by another person as well. The person i know in Crossbars indicated that this info came directly from Dobbo's Dad.  What I was told he was offered on a new contract I thought "The club are taking the piss".  When Fraser is on £10,000 and Dobbo is on £4000 and what he was offered. (I can't remember the exact figure, but if they offered him a decent contract he would have signed). 
    Both signed under Sandgaard in the 21/22 season but Dobbo in the summer, Fraser in the January. 

Dobbo had come off a couple of poor seasons for S’Land, I’m guessing why he was on a comparatively low wage. 
  • Rudders22 said:
    IanC1960 said:
    mrbligh said:
    Gillis said:

Yep, Mick Dobson
    Both signed under Sandgaard in the 21/22 season but Dobbo in the summer, Fraser in the January. 

Dobbo had come off a couple of poor seasons for S’Land, I’m guessing why he was on a comparatively low wage. 
    Thanks. I know Fraser came with a better reputation and was probably already on a higher salary before he joined. 
  • Really gutted about this. Would have much preferred having Dobbo til the end of the season, even if he left on a free. 

Like, imagine if we’d sold Bauer in January!