Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

George Dobson - Gone to Wrexham p136, farewell message p142

Comments

• IdleHans said:
    At this moment,no one has confirmed officially that George has gone.Is it possible that Nathan has somehow intervened ,seen his value and is over riding Scott and trying to get him to stay.
    I was going to say, “wishful thinking”, but you make a good point. Technically it is possible. The well informed Hungarian media are saying he flies out tomorrow for a medical and then -only then- signs a contract with them. 

But given that both Rich and Louie have tweeted out that he is off, it would be a pretty massive series of events today to make it happen. I could imagine Jones is furious, not least at being forced to lie to us in his first post-match, but I think it would involve Methven throwing Scott under the bus, and also messing up his  P&L spreadsheet to create the new offer to Dobbo. 

But you are right, WIOTOS, much as I hate to use that old trope.
    Easy solution. Bin off Scott and add his wages to Dobbos contract.
    I was going to suggest that myself :) the snag though is that we would then need to recruit a new person to do the job that Steve Gallen did pretty well (given the multiple shitshows above him). And Methven would have to explain this new change to the Yanks.
  • @PragueAddick

We replace the inconsistent but deadly on his day CBT with....

Fiorini 

What a great bit of business.

PS not having a dig but you were insistent that it was impossible Dobson would move to Hungary and no way they could even know who he was.
    I wonder if taking Fiorini was a quid pro quo for them taking Tedic back. 
    Is it not standard in loan contracts that the player can be sent back to their parent team in transfer windows? 

So I expect there is nothing nefarious here, apart from Appleton getting to pick a player he previously worked with.

Though that being said, after the CBT loan deal to Derby, who knows.

• JamesSeed said:
    Window couldn’t have turned out much worse, if Dobson really is leaving. Losing CBT was bad enough. 
    Losing on Tuesday will be an almost historically bad day for the club, as I think it would make us odds on to be relegated to the 4th division for the first time in our history.
    I agree. Really poor January window. If we don't win on Tuesday I think we be relegated comfortably with the current squad. Sadly and rather nievely I am pinning all my hopes on a player who has been out nearly all season and is injury prone even when he does return. Damaged goods when he returned from Birmingham but I still hope he can save us! The thought of 4th division football. Catastrophic.
  • JamesSeed said:
    Window couldn’t have turned out much worse, if Dobson really is leaving. Losing CBT was bad enough. 
    Losing on Tuesday will be an almost historically bad day for the club, as I think it would make us odds on to be relegated to the 4th division for the first time in our history.
    Scary
  • Ben18 said:
    Those happy that Dobson is leaving because we've not been very good while he's been here.

They must have been delighted when Conor Gallagher was recalled in the Championship?
    Wonder what happened at the end of that season?
  • Ben18 said:
    Those happy that Dobson is leaving because we've not been very good while he's been here.

They must have been delighted when Conor Gallagher was recalled in the Championship?
    Not even slightly comparable players. Gallagher was Dobson, but he was also our creator and our goal threat. He WAS our team. The one time in recent history that a Hero Player really has carried us 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 11
    IanC1960 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    If we'd made Dobson a really good offer and he turned it down because he got a much better offer from a bigger club then so be it, that's football. 

But what i cannot accept is how someone has decided it's a good idea to a) give him a poor contract offer and b) sell him when we're in a relegation battle. Absolutely shocking.

I hope the owners look back and think the peanuts of a transfer fee was worth it when we're playing at home to Barrow and Harrogate in front of 5k fans next season.
    Rumours that he's had several offers and the latest met all his demands.
    That is a lie

Thanks Ian for posting yesterday and today despite it deflating everyone quicker than a blow out on the motorway.
    From your other post you believe George has been offered around 10k to 11k a week on a 3 year deal ?

As this was a concrete offer and Cafc didn't feel George should be on parity with the highest earners in the team, then the 'one bad injury' from a new contract kicks in with player and agent. 

I'm gutted with losing both Dobson and Corey Blackett-Taylor when we are trying to stay in the 3rd tier.

Blackett-Taylor has definitely got the best contract of his career so far at Derby and George in Hungary.
  • @PragueAddick

Fiorini 

PS not having a dig but you were insistent that it was impossible Dobson would move to Hungary and no way they could even know who he was.
    possibly but that wasn't the way it was presented to fans in the signing announcement.
  • There we go proven our club is once again run by liars and pricks, Charlton are fucked once again.

Some of you have praised the new set up, can’t believe you have been taken in once again.

Having said this I will still be there Tuesday cheering my club on, in the feint hope we may get out of this shit.
  • edited February 11
    @PragueAddick

Fiorini 

Is it not standard in loan contracts that the player can be sent back to their parent team in transfer windows? 

So I expect there is nothing nefarious here, apart from Appleton getting to pick a player he previously worked with.

Though that being said, after the CBT loan deal to Derby, who knows.

Varies from deal to deal. Some don’t have a break clause, some do. 
  • Which players who came in in january are better then Dobson now ?
  • Well the Hungarian Transfer Window closes on Valentine's day...so I guess we'll all know after then if he's gone (looking likely)...
  • Sponsored links:

• Not saying I agreed with the strategy, but we brought in two engine room midfielders in January, in Bakinson and Coventry, when we also had two more due to return from injury in Camara and Taylor. That suggests that Dobson leaving in January/February was expected. 

I would be happy if Dobson stayed, but far more serious for our squad balance was losing CBT, Fraser and Chem Campbell, and only bringing in the unfit Fiorini., as we now look so ordinary.
  • The transfer strategy seems to have been set by Appleton, and his wants, and then doubled down on it when he left 
  • How about about putting your club, team mates and supporters before you yourself. Dobson doesn't have to leave before the end of the season he is choosing to in the same way that Lyle Taylor made a choice not to play. His mind was made two months ago at the same time as his performance starting to decline. At the time we needed our captain to step up he is choosing to walk away. It is a choice - he does not have to leave. He can stay, go at the end of the season. 
    Unless the club are desperate for the transfer fee, then why sell him 
  • edited February 11
    Ben18 said:

Well said Ben: totally different level player's but how important they were to Cafc.

It's the strangest logic that the two time POTY who leaves everything on the pitch for the duration of every 100+ minute match whether he plays well or not is to blame for his colleagues lack of application or skill levels.

Gallagher was taken back to Chelsea and sent to Swansea as he was playing alongside two young players that are in non league football now and were thrown in because of our mandatory injury issues.
  • edited February 11
  • I still don't personally feel that we were missing Dobson yesterday, he has been part of a midfield that has underperformed for many years...the person we missed was CBT, his unpredictability was a real asset.

To lose both in a January is negligent however.

Seems to me, the board "feel we are too big to go down" and do not realise the situation we are in.
    Thing with Corey though was, he’s an out and out winger. And sometimes he’d go quiet - even though I think he worked hard in pre-season on both his fitness and decision-making. I’m not heading down the “luxury player” with this, but, Curbs pointed out several times that he won’t provide defensive cover. That is a problem if someone insists that we play 3-5-2. It does increasingly seem that that someone is Scott. Personally I agree with whoever it was yesterday that was scathing about insisting on such  a formation in League One. And the two players who are supposed to be the wing backs cannot cross and are pretty lightweight defenders too. But overall it was a genuine question, what formation do you play if you leave Corey to wreak destruction in the way he does best?. 

He was an unused sub for Derby yesterday. Someone will know better than me about how Derby set up and whether they are more fluid or pragmatic than to adopt rigidly one system. But I’ll be interested to see how they get the best out of him.
    I’m not sure I agree on Scott insisting on a 352. 

In fact, I’m pretty certain it was said at the time of Holden’s sacking that Scott wanted him to play 433? Probably nonsense, but I’m certain the manager/head coach chooses the formation. 

• How about about putting your club, team mates and supporters before you yourself. Dobson doesn't have to leave before the end of the season he is choosing to in the same way that Lyle Taylor made a choice not to play. His mind was made two months ago at the same time as his performance starting to decline. At the time we needed our captain to step up he is choosing to walk away. It is a choice - he does not have to leave. He can stay, go at the end of the season. 
    His been banished to the u21s by Scott hardly encouraging him to stay,dont think you could ever question Dobbos commitment to his team mates or the fans
    This is what really stinks to me. There has been quiet a bit of emphasis on Jones being ‘Manager’ because of being accountable for certain decisions - but if he is being overruled but Scott on this, then there is already a massive breakdown in that relationship.

If Jones believes that Coventry and Taylor are better in the position, then we will just have to accept that. If he does not, and wants Dobson, that’s a massive red flag.