Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Denmark - Wembley Stadium - Wednesday 7th July 8pm KO - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Woke up at 4 after going to sleep nervous at 12. It’s going to be a long day, would like to be confident.

I think it’s going to be tough and that first goal is important. 
  • Options
    limeygent said:
    Hope Thomas still likes football after the game.
    He owns a club on the road back to greatness and it plays in a country where football could be on the cusp of a double boost of post-lockdown return to going to games again and the national team generating a massive feel good factor about the game. Win/win for him tonight whatever the outcome…which will be England 3-0 Denmark 
  • Options
    Today is the day chaps and chapettes.
  • Options
    Its gana be a long day followed by an even longer 90+ mins of football
  • Options
    Nervous for the game. Ukraine was an easy game and we just needed to stay focused. 

This one will be a real test. After the first game you'd probably say they've been the team of the tournament. 4-0 against Wales and beating Czech Republic is nothing to turn your nose up at. 
  • Options
    Nervous for the game. Ukraine was an easy game and we just needed to stay focused. 

This one will be a real test. After the first game you'd probably say they've been the team of the tournament. 4-0 against Wales and beating Czech Republic is nothing to turn your nose up at. 
    You’re backed by 60k at Wembley. Big advantage and you’re certainly favourites.
  • Options
    My girlfriend has indicated that she knows for a fact that Danes have big sausages.  I didn’t know how to respond to that.
    Isn't she a vegetarian?
    Did she say they have big veggie sausages?
  • Options

Wales got ahead of themselves for that game and forgot the basics they’d employed so well before that and if plan A and plan B was Gareth Bale they were always going to be vulnerable at some point. They probably should have played a L1 player in that game who could have put them right. Beating the Czech Republic is no big deal apparently 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Danepak said:

You’re backed by 60k at Wembley. Big advantage and you’re certainly favourites.
    True. We are definitely favourites for the game don't get me wrong, just think Denmark will be no mugs and have come to win. Also have a lot of goodwill and motivation because of their opening game and Eriksen's situation. 

Interesting to see how big the home effect actually is over the course of a season. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This royal throne of kings, this sceptred isle,
    This earth of majesty, this seat of Mars,
    This other Eden, demi-paradise,
    This fortress built by Nature for herself
    Against infection and the hand of war,
    This happy breed of men, this little world,
    This precious stone set in the silver sea,
    Which serves it in the office of a wall,
    Or as a moat defensive to a house,
    Against the envy of less happier lands,
    This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England …

It's coming home.

COME ON!!!!!

• Options
    edited July 2021
    We've looked very assured throughout, even v Scotland we never looked like losing.

So can't see anything but a win for England. Even if we go behind the options on the bench are formidable and we are dominant in the air.

It's coming home

• Options
    I feel exactly the same way I did 3 years ago for the Sweden game.   If we turn up and don't do anything stupid we will win.

Watching the game last night it was so open and ragged from so early.  The lack of any extra time and the half hour we had the cigars out for against Ukraine could make a big difference.

Really relaxed about it, which is a horrible feeling, as you all know for an English Charlton fan! 
  • Options
    Confident England will beat Denmark. Italy however is a completely different thing.
  • Options
    For those feeling the nerves kicking in, Just imagine it’s Charlton v Sunderland tonight, we’ll be fine!
  • Options
    For those feeling the nerves kicking in, Just imagine it’s Charlton v Sunderland tonight, we’ll be fine!
    I hope Stones and Pickford aren't reading this.....
  • Options
    Same starting XI as Saturday night with Saka in for Sancho - I'm more relaxed about this one than I was for the Ukraine game.

We will be too strong for them at home, 3-0
  • Options
    Woke up feeling nervous, the Danes won't make it easy that's for sure.

Lucky enough to have a ticket so I'll be at Wembley with my CAFC flag. Tempted to wear my '98 playoff final shirt as well for good luck! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    GL mate
  • Options
    Sorry not sure how to embed this from my phone but had to post.

https://twitter.com/clarencehouse/status/1412676459227975685?s=21
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    I believe we will win but bizarrely it's possible we go a goal down to a mistake  before hitting top gear and winning well as the tired Danes are put to the sword. 
    If both teams were fresh then a close contest as Denmark have some seriously good Tournament players in Dolberg and Damsgaard, who because of the plight of Eriksen and the 1 match injury to Poulsen have taken their opportunity with aplomb.
    Their captain kjær is a captain on and off the pitch and with Christensen and Vestergaard, they are resolute at the back and flair going forward in Christensen case with that cracker of a goal.

Braithwaite surprisingly has looked decent compare to his time at Middlesbrough and Mæhle has played well with his runs forward. 
    Højbjerg in the engine room has been consistent and Schmeichel continues to be a massive influence for Denmark, similar to his dad Peter for the Danish team.

• Options
    Buzzing for tonight and confident we'll get through.

Come on England!!
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    I've seen most of the Denmark games and as with the Ukraine game we should win this one - so long as we remain focused that is. Come on England! 
  • Options
    I’m a massive England fan but for some reason not feeling any buzz or nerves for tonight. 

I think it will be a very tough game, Denmark will play deep and compact and make it frustratingly hard for us to break down. May take the game to open up in the 2nd half for us to get some momentum.

Heart is saying it’s destined to go to penalties, head is saying that over a potential 120 mins and a more effective bench we should have enough to break them down. 
  • Options
    Understand why England fans would be nervous but I don’t think there is much reason to be. 

Denmark have had a great run and it’s a fantastic story but England have been very assured (without being cocky), haven’t conceded a single goal and scored four in their last match. I don’t think England will underestimate their opponents which could have been a factor with previous squads, intact if anything I think this England team/manager are perhaps guilty of over-estimating their opponents. 

Add to that it’s going to be played at home in-front of a massive support I can’t really see how it will go wrong for England.