Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match thread: Milton Keynes v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 17th August, 2021

Comments

• Options
    4 4 2 sounds good. But we’ve only had the players to do that since Kirk joined
  • Options
    Out of interest, am I the only one that thinks the new keeper is rubbish?
    no huge questions marks over him, poor for opener today and Saturday, has he even made a save of note so far? everytime the ball goes on target seems to go in
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    4 games played, all with the same outcome that we just simply do not create enough chances.  On Saturday we would never have got an equalizer and tonight was no different

I have never ever seen a manager of this club stick so much to a formation during games when it is so clear we would end up with a a defeat as the last 3 games have been played out.  Either he thinks this formation is the future and its going to click or he is trying to prove a point he needs more/better players to those above him.  Either way its awful to watch

Stayed back deliberately at the end to see what reaction the manager and players got when they came across to what was left of the supporters there.  Booing and a chant of not fit to wear the short was the response they got back from some.
    He won’t ever change the formation. I like Adkins, but he’s not the sort to change tactics. 

He won’t even let the wingers swap around, let alone throw away the formation he’s specifically recruited for, after just 4 games. It seems even the u23s and u18s have started playing 4-3-3.

Its not the tactics, it’s the players not being good enough as a unit. There’s no star quality in the team besides DJ and even he’s hot and cold.
  • Options
    No, he’s woeful. That positioning for the first goal today was under 16 stuff. 
  • Options
    We need a striker in to be honest. But we need somebody/s in whatever way we set up. I think we need the following first teamers in, CF, CM, CM, LB, GK. That is the minimum btw.
  • Options
    Not sure I feel that sorry for Adkins. Sheff wed game and first half tonight shows there is better there than smashing it long and installing no confidence in our players. Manager bounce last season and now watching some of the most predictable turgid football we’ve seen, jury is well and truly out.
    Im not a big fan so far, he rated morgan over shinnie for one, says a lot
  • Options
    Not sure I feel that sorry for Adkins. Sheff wed game and first half tonight shows there is better there than smashing it long and installing no confidence in our players. Manager bounce last season and now watching some of the most predictable turgid football we’ve seen, jury is well and truly out.
    Agreed, I don't feel sorry for him. The squad is weak yes, but you still need a gameplan. How many teams who finished miles below us last season had a gameplan and gave us a good game? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ‘Gunter gets pressured onto his left and slows down the phase of play either coming on his right or kicking it out’….10 days later, still happening. Fuck me, I know these people have done their badges and have experience but it’s so frustrating.
    Said in the match thread,he's much the same on his right.
    Fella needs a 20M No fly zone where no opposition player can go near him.Get within the zone and he shits himself.One of THE worst ball players I've seen in a Charlton shirt.
    Quite how he's managed to get so many international caps f******g mystifies me!!

• Options
    Bang the ball up to Stockley but no one is feeding off him.
    No discernible game plan.
    No shot on target second half!
    Clueless!
  • Options
    esseffect said:
    4 4 2 sounds good. But we’ve only had the players to do that since Kirk joined
    Do we have the players for a 442? We get overrun in a midfield 3, I'd hate to see it as a 2. Plus if Kirk and DJ are wide are they going to track back enough?
  • Options
    F*cking hell. What's going on.

Painful 
  • Options
    What I'll say as well. 

Mo Eisa 
    Troy Parrott
    Scott Twine 

Best front 3 in the division, I did think it would be tough for us tonight but I didnt  expect us to make it as easy as we did. 

Really hope Roddy and Steve Gallen have some genuine pedigree rabbits in their hat 
  • Options
    Got the same amount of points as Ipswich who were nailed on to win the league by October due to there signings 
    I agree we need some qaulity in but the reaction so far is ott
  • Options
    Dare I say it.

Get curbs back
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I am not proud to say that I have been calling this for weeks & weeks. Got pelters on the Transfer Rumours thread back in early July when I questioned our lack of transfers.....got told not to panic & the transfer window doesn't close until end of August. 

Even got told by a poster that they wanted to rip my head off & piss down my neck for daring to suggest that TS's transfer policy was no different to Duchatalet. I said at least under RD we brought players in.

Seems like TS is happy to rely on the U23's. That's ok if you have a Shelvey, a Gomez or a Parker. Not so good if you have Claydon, Roddy or Vennings.

Think it might be too late anyway. Most of the good players have joined new clubs and any other players we are interested in the selling clubs will know we are desperate & will be upping their prices as I type.

Just too fucking late. Time to strengthen was back in June & July.

Could be in the bottom 4 come 5pm Saturday. And I dare anyone to call me a bedwetter. 
    The thing is mate you "call it out" when we are 3-0 up, that we should go for the 4th, if we signed someone who scored 20 goals the previous season you would want someone that scored 25. 

If we signed Messi you would moan we didn't get Ronaldo as well.

If we won the league with 99 points you would moan we didn't get 100.

If you predict the apocalypse on an hourly basis your be right eventually. 
    If we signed somebody who can score 20, signing somebody who can score 25 improves us. Why would you not want that. We have lost about 25 goals with Aneke, JFC and Gilbey and not brought any in to compensate. We haven't signed Messi or Ronaldo and we have absolutely no chance of getting near 99 points as it stands.
  • Options
    Certainly seems a big downgrade on Amos. Doesn't come for crosses, positioning and kicking suspect, at fault for 2 goals. Maynard-Brewer couldn't have done any worse. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1968CAFC said:
    8 points behind the pack after only three games 
    wake up a smell the Roses Adkins 👎👎

Just my opinion but I feel sorry for Adkins. Can hardly expect him to work miracles with the mediocrity he’s been given to work with. I can’t think of any manager that could do better with a substandard first eleven and a bench made up of raw kids.
    This is what i dont understand,would TS really go through everything he did to acquire the club only to leave us with a mid-table(at best)team? I cant believe he would. Surely?!
  • Options
    There was one silver lining tonight.  Apparently Dean Kiely can do a job in midfield.
  • Options
    Whole squad is weak and not good enough. No positives from this start to the season. TS, through his lack of support, has caused this problem. If he has not got the cash, or does not want to splash some cash, he should level with us. 

Statements from him indicate we may get a few loan signings, but if that was the intention, why wait until we are getting beaten by average teams ?

Looks like no plan is in place and all a bit knee jerk.

Adkins may decide to walk if he does not get the support he clearly needs 
  • Options
    Firstly, MK Dons are a great team to watch, really play some lovely football.  Much like Oxford before them.  We just can't keep up with teams of this quality as gutting as it is to say as a Charlton fan when talking about two minnows of the game.

Our midfield is poor, Dobson, Clare and Morgan ok squad fillers but none of them should be starting.

Should have gone all out for Fraser or even Twine who is a very good player.

I thought Parrott was strong and expect him to do well this season too.

MKDons and Oxford will be right up there at the end of the season.

Watson should do the honourable thing and retire like the Crewe lad has, his heart is clearly not in it.  I wouldn't have him anywhere near the bench, rather have one less sub.  Gunters foul throws utterly unforgivable with his experience and the new keeper looks like a rabbit in the headlights.

As for Innis, it's just laughable.  Can't string any games together.  He started the season unfit as we were scared to play him pre-season.  You simply cannot have the guy as a first choice CB no matter how good he may be in the 10-15 games you may get out of him each season.

Really sad situation re Inniss...if he was consistently fit he'd be championship level easy.  Unfortunately he's not reliable fitness wise hence why he's with us and this approach is not the basis of a solid defence. 

• Options
    aliwibble said:
    There were some nice moments in that, but sadly once again, my favourite bits of the evening have been the pre and post match stuff, rather than the match itself. But I have other things to be getting on with rather than post-mortems tonight.

"The song" playing before the start of the programme got on my tits.  Addicks to victory indeed.