Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Wigan Athletic | Saturday 21st August | Match Preview

Charlton Athletic v Wigan Athletic
Saturday 21st August 2021 ... 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Craig Hicks

Introduction
The Addicks return to the Valley for the second time this season in what is turning out to be desperate need of a win, if not to make the early league table look better, but at the very least to install some confidence into this new look Charlton team. Wigan Athletic are the visitors to SE7 this weekend in what'll be another difficult game for the Addicks, there will certainly be hope amongst the faithful that we can record a first three points of the season, and so stop the table from looking like an evening at Eurovision for the United Kingdom.

We might be used to nil poi on this island.

But it'll be difficult to accept as Charlton fans in League One if it begins to happen on a regular basis.

The Opposition
Name: Wigan Athletic (14th) | Manager: Leam Richardson
Ground: DW Stadium
Previous Meeting: Wigan Athletic 0-1 Charlton Athletic

For those with "Athletic" in their name it seems that there is a requirement in recent seasons for bad ownership with arguably unfair outcomes, especially for the fans at the very least. Both Charlton and Wigan of course found themselves relegated from the Championship at the same time, and for the latter it must have been even more difficult to take when they did such a good job of hauling themselves into mid-table safety.

Returning to League One, life for Wigan wasnt easy by any means and over the course of the short summer they'd be forced to watch as senior players (understandably) decided to find pastures new. It was argued that Administrators were making life difficult for buyers, and at one stage there was even rumour that previous Charlton "associates" were looking to get their paws on another English club. Thankfully those rumours didnt materialise and the Latics would be rescued by what appears to be genuine investment from the Middle East, especially after our own hopes from that region ended in the most bizarre of rants.

Naturally for Wigan, having lost so many senior players there would be a need to dip largely into the transfer market this summer and is unsurprising that its something we've seen. Both Ben Amos and Jordan Cousins will potentially return to familiar surroundings this Saturday, whilst any defensive slip ups that we've seen from the Addicks of late will surely be gratefully received by the experience of Charlie Wyke (top scorer at this level last season), Stephen Humphrys (signed from Rochdale) or Gwion Edwards who should be the main danger from midfield.

As for the Manager; Richardson is still largely inexperienced.

But as we saw from Manning last night, if you can get your ideas on to the players, you stand a chance.

Charlton Team News
With such a shallow squad, there unfortunately cant be many changes despite what is an early run of bad form - In some ways its perhaps not a bad thing as it will give the players a chance to play themselves into some kind of form. But equally as Lee Bowyer confessed last season, a shallow squad can be dangerous in the sense that players become too comfortable and too relaxed on the pitch as they know there is no one else good enough to replace them.

In some ways you could equally say its a harsh assessment, there have been times against both Oxford and Milton Keynes where we've played decent football, things could have been so different had Conor Washington or Jayden Stockley converted opportunities in both games, but sadly wasnt to be - What the players do need to learn though is that the ball doesnt become some feared object the most we go behind, there will be a number of occasions this season where we'll probably find ourselves up against adversity again, but the inability to overcome that and achieve a "Golfie" over the last few years is a big concern.

MacGillivray
Matthews - Inniss - Famewo - Gunter
Clare - Dobson
Jaiyesimi - Morgan - Kirk
Stockley

Substitutes Bench: Harness - Elewere - Pearce - Watson - Clayden - Washington - Davison

Prediction
As we've seen from the last two away fixtures, scoring that first goal is oh so important - Unfortunately as we saw on Tuesday night, hanging on to the lead for a decent period is equally important and something we certainly need to better (along with a great number of things) after the trip to Milton Keynes. It was mentioned last night that we only lost four away games all season, having lost two already this term is a sign that Fort Valley must become a daunting place for visiting teams if we want this season to turn into anything.

Comments

• Options
    4 games in and it seems a chore to attend already. Wigan will win we're just not good enough 
  • Options
    Unfortunately I can see us getting a spanking on Saturday. If Wigan score 1st the heads will drop and it could get really embarrassing. Adkins needs to earn his corn between now and Saturday the lads will have been shocked getting the boos last night and it will either get them up for it or sink them.
  • Options
    I can see it going pear shaped if we lose
  • Options
    The only positive I can see is that this isn't a football for a fiver fixture. 2-0 Wigan.
  • Options
    Three predictions
    Amos will make some great saves, MacGillvray won't
    Cousins will beat up our midfield.
    Wyke will score and show what a League 1 striker should be like.
  • Options
    2-0 Wigan
  • Options

James McClean: Republic of Ireland winger returns to Wigan after ending Stoke stint

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58255107
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Very hard to find reasons to be positive. I guess starting with Kirk, DJ and Stockley will give us a glimpse of Adkins front three, they should be interesting. Morgan is a real hit and miss player and this season it’s been all miss so hopefully he’s due a hit (I know, straw clutching). 

That’s probably about it. 
  • Options
    Bloody embarrassing this is going to be!
  • Options
    edited August 2021

Prediction
    As we've seen from the last two away fixtures, scoring that first goal is oh so important - Unfortunately as we saw on Tuesday night, hanging on to the lead for a decent period is equally important and something we certainly need to better (along with a great number of things) after the trip to Milton Keynes. It was mentioned last night that we only lost four away games all season, having lost two already this term is a sign that Fort Valley must become a daunting place for visiting teams if we want this season to turn into anything.
    But what's the actual prediction for the game?
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

Prediction
    I dont give actual scoreline predictions anymore

Havent done for a couple of seasons as I will always refuse to predict a Charlton defeat

Consider me our version of Mark Lawrenson :D
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    written with the dust still unsettled from Black Tuesday in MK ..
     Adkins needs to make changes to freshen up a side that looks stale after just a handful of games, But I doubt that he will make many

Elewere, Kirk, Davison all deserve a start .. but our main problem is in midfield and the cupboard is pretty empty there apart from the three who have played so far .. I am also concerned about the defence, Elewere made a decent appearance yesterday and should start.. but will he ? .. I have little faith in Adkins a t m, but to be fair to him (begrudgingly) his squad is so thin as to be anorexic .. however his tactical nous and decision making lack credibility .. we need a win against fellow Athletics, they are a decent side even though their results so far are far from convincing

CAFC 2 v Wigan Athletic 1
  • Options
    Wigan will win.

1-3
  • Options
    Unless we see a massive upturn from the players we will be in trouble. 0-2. 
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

Prediction
    I dont give actual scoreline predictions anymore

Havent done for a couple of seasons as I will always refuse to predict a Charlton defeat

Consider me our version of Mark Lawrenson :D
    Fair enough, predicting Charlton isnt much fun these days!
  • Options
    A comfortable clean sheet win.

Charlton 0 Wigan 3
  • Options
    3-1 to Charlton...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2021
    I really don't know about this one, head say's loss, heart say's win, so probably end up somewhere in in between and end up with a useless draw, which is about as much use as "Tits on a Bull", Should we lose CL will be in meltdown pretty rapid. B)
  • Options
    1 - 1
  • Options
    I am looking on the bright side,... at least i not a Gooner!
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Easy.

Wigan have strengthened a side that is already better than us:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58255107

Next.
  • Options
    I've predicted 3 wins for us so far so going to predict a Wigan win this time. 0-2 Wigan.
  • Options
    I was desperate for us to sign Stephen Humphrys, I’d have taken him over any of our summer signings. 

Based on that and that alone, I can’t see any reality where he doesn’t notch a hat-trick on Saturday. 

Our season won’t kick in until we’ve got everyone fit and new bodies through the door
  • Options
    4 games to get the preseason legginess out. Season starts tomorrow. 

1-2 to the addicks 
  • Options
    I've got a ticket for Saturday.

My only consolation is that it is not a season ticket this year. 
  • Options
    Wigan beat Rotherham and drew with Wycombe who have both started well. 

They'll beat us 2-0.