Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Athletic v Wigan Athletic | Saturday 21st August | Match Preview

123457»

Comments

• Looking at the bench we are set up to chase the game. 2 strikers, Claydon and the new boy all with splinters.
    Surprised we have 2 wingers and 2 strikers in the bench, but no midfielders
  • arny23394 said:
    RedChaser said:
    Phil said:
    Wyke isn’t that great a striker.He will score if chances are laid on a plate for him as McGeady did many times last season.
    He hasn’t scored this season (cue the inevitable!).
    One needs to look beyond the number of goals he scored last season.
    Am sure that we'll oblige
    Hope Innis is fit because we need his height against Wyke.
    I didn’t think Adkins sounded particularly confident in his post match conference, when he said Inniss should be fit for Wigan. Can see him missing out.
    Cough, cough, Innis starts 😅
  • My first miss of the season so nailed on home win! Kirk hat trick.
  • Whoever tipped us of the other day that Watson and Dobson would start, well played, bang on the money 👏.
  • Redrobo said:
    LCafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Nads and TS should know that expectations were high and we needed to hit the ground running.

We won't win with 1 up front.
    Change the formation to a bog standard 4-4-2, using both wings to attack.

He probably won't, and this will be another boring display/defeat. Then Nads will be within 4 games of losing the support of the fans, and possibly the owner.
    Which 2 central midfeilders do you expect to do the job that 3 haven't been able to do?

We won quite a lot of games with 1 up front towards the end of last season, including 1 when we scored 6.

The formation isn't the problem. 

It is a problem at the Valley when we have no goal scoring midfielders, No super sub  Chuks who could score and now no Washington who most of his career could score 1 in 3 in League1.

I like Stockley but he won't score many on the deck in the area without good support.

The Plymouth 6 goals was a freak result as for once we had support in the box and Gilbey was on Fire along with Millar and Stockley plus we had Chuks to bring on to run riot. We created more chances in that away game than 4 home matches. 

I said we would struggle to score from open play in August with the 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 before the Sheff Wed game and so far just a Penalty and a header from a free kick.

With the players available, we are not set up to score and now Nigel's master plan of 25 clean sheets is looking dubious with the mandatory mistakes.

Not the formation per se, but we appeared to be one even more defensive when we went 2-1 down against MK Dons who couldn't believe their luck how easy the game was at 2-1 up.

Did you not want a striker to play along side Stockley ? Forget about anyone else I'm only talking about Cafc not Man city.
    It doesn't matter if you play 1 striker, 2 strikers, 3 strikers or more IF your getting totally over run in midfield as we have in 3 of the last 4 games.

If you remember in the Plymouth game they started with a midfield 5 and changed it to a 4, then we totally over ran them.  Gilbey, Millar et al were able to bomb forward, at will, even super sub Pratley got in the act.  That was because we controlled the midfield.

You point about Chuks is correct and I haven't seen anyone suggest otherwise.

I'll ask again which 2 central midfeilders do we have that could do the job 3 have so far failed to do?
    Your question is not valid as the dynamics change. 
    A flippant answer would be that in a 4-4-2 there will be one more midfielder, but I would suggest that by reducing the flexibility of roles that playing in a three demands it would enable the two to concentrate on the one aspect of defending.
    But you advocating playing DJ and Kirk as the two wide players in the 442 aren't you, or have a miss understood? 
  • Watching them warm up the keeper.  There's no doubt he can make a good save, he just can't pass it to one of our players. Why don't you practice that!
  • What happens if we need to change Morgan, Watson or Dobson? 
    Clayden, Washington or even Davison on and Kirk to 10?

I don't even think there is anyone that could do a job as DM? 
  • Set up for a 0-0
  • What happens if we need to change Morgan, Watson or Dobson? 
    The only possibility would be Gunter/Matthews  in midfield and Elerewe at left back. Desperate is it not?
  • Sponsored links:

• why not just put dempsey, vennings, or Powell on the bench, if we get a injury in midfield we are fucked
  • edited August 2021
    The difference between Jordon Cousins reception and Ben Amos will be quite telling today. JC will get a good reception where Ben Amos will get the Judas treatment from the Covered end.  You just know if we beat him from 25 yards it will hit the crossbar and the ball goes safe; or just hits the corner flag !
    Who is going to have a shot on target from 25 yards? 
    Morgan for one, that's why I said about maybe hitting the corners flag. I believe you were at the Wimbledon game when Albie saw the keeper off his line and tried to hit the target from the near the half way line.
    It was a Hollywood attempt when we needed local rep in the League cup.

How far out was Kwadwo Baah with his two shots which beat Ben Amos ? Less than that but at an angle. From 1 yard to 25 yards let's create chances and hit the target and see if Ben can save them

Amis is a decent keeper at League 1 level and just like the erratic Ben Hamer, left Cafc when still in credit. 
    When was the last time Albie Morgan had a shot on target in open play from 25 yards?
    I'm talking shots into the top corner that all beat Amos last year, not low shots that wouldn't trouble Amos.
    It may have happened, but not too often.
  • RedChaser said:
    Whoever tipped us of the other day that Watson and Dobson would start, well played, bang on the money 👏.
    Clare is injured. Mate saw him hobbling into the stadium. Possibly achilles.
  • That’s not good, could be out for some time if it’s a bad one. In days gone by that was known to finish a players career. Roy McFarland Derby & England being a case in point.