Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Wigan Athletic | Saturday 21st August | Match Preview

Comments

• Options
    Nads and TS should know that expectations were high and we needed to hit the ground running.

We won't win with 1 up front.
    Change the formation to a bog standard 4-4-2, using both wings to attack.

He probably won't, and this will be another boring display/defeat. Then Nads will be within 4 games of losing the support of the fans, and possibly the owner.
  • Options
    I predict lots of Sean Clare fouls. 
  • Options
  • Options
    "He is an athlete so we would expect his recovery to take longer than Joe Bloggs with his 20 fags and eight pints a day lifestyle".
  • Options
    So unless something happens by noon tomorrow, we will will have a weaker squad than for the MK game  :#
  • Options
    As sure as the red red robin keeps bob bob bobbing along so will our run of defeat. 3-1 Wigan.
  • Options
    Nads and TS should know that expectations were high and we needed to hit the ground running.

He probably won't, and this will be another boring display/defeat. Then Nads will be within 4 games of losing the support of the fans, and possibly the owner.
    Which 2 central midfeilders do you expect to do the job that 3 haven't been able to do?

We won quite a lot of games with 1 up front towards the end of last season, including 1 when we scored 6.

The formation isn't the problem. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Now that I have lost any belief in our owner I will be happy to settle for a point towards our survival target of 50 points. 1-1
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Washington must be a non starter so another source of a goal has gone.

Our super sub Aneke has Gone.

The Elephant in the room Ronnie Schwartz is no where to be seen.

Josh Davidson should play despite looking  short of the standard. At least he will run and run and despite the poor lob against Wimbledon did produce one of our few decent shots on target this Season. Play him nearer to Stockley so he can at least attempt an effort on goal plus it supports the lonely Jayden.

Davison. Heard it being pronounced with a hard ‘a’, as in Davos. Or Davros. I think you’re right by the way. Anything is worth trying, even if only for 30 minutes. 
    I predict a narrow defeat. Followed by a Monday management/owner crisis zoom meeting and a CL meltdown. 
  • Options
    So, Washington, Gilbey, Schwartz, Purrington out, Inniss semi-knackered.
    Good job we have strength on the bench (Watson, Pearce , Davison and a bunch of kids who do not look up to it.)
    All going well, Tommy.

• Options
    That bloke uses the lift in the  west upper, relegation fears exterminated by a 2-1 win.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Washington must be a non starter so another source of a goal has gone.

Our super sub Aneke has Gone.

The Elephant in the room Ronnie Schwartz is no where to be seen.

Josh Davidson should play despite looking  short of the standard. At least he will run and run and despite the poor lob against Wimbledon did produce one of our few decent shots on target this Season. Play him nearer to Stockley so he can at least attempt an effort on goal plus it supports the lonely Jayden.

Davison. Heard it being pronounced with a hard ‘a’, as in Davos. Or Davros. I think you’re right by the way. Anything is worth trying, even if only for 30 minutes. 
    I predict a narrow defeat. Followed by a Monday management/owner crisis zoom meeting and a CL meltdown. 
    On me 'ead Son.

Davros. Creator of Dalek Hales, who went around exterminating opposition defences. And pigeons.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:

Which 2 central midfeilders do you expect to do the job that 3 haven't been able to do?

We won quite a lot of games with 1 up front towards the end of last season, including 1 when we scored 6.

The formation isn't the problem. 

It is a problem at the Valley when we have no goal scoring midfielders, No super sub  Chuks who could score and now no Washington who most of his career could score 1 in 3 in League1.

I like Stockley but he won't score many on the deck in the area without good support.

The Plymouth 6 goals was a freak result as for once we had support in the box and Gilbey was on Fire along with Millar and Stockley plus we had Chuks to bring on to run riot. We created more chances in that away game than 4 home matches. 

I said we would struggle to score from open play in August with the 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 before the Sheff Wed game and so far just a Penalty and a header from a free kick.

With the players available, we are not set up to score and now Nigel's master plan of 25 clean sheets is looking dubious with the mandatory mistakes.

Not the formation per se, but we appeared to be one even more defensive when we went 2-1 down against MK Dons who couldn't believe their luck how easy the game was at 2-1 up.

Did you not want a striker to play along side Stockley ? Forget about anyone else I'm only talking about Cafc not Man city.
  • Options
    Cheers @JamesSeed for pointing out my mistake, Davison not Davidson. I have trouble with Davis and Davies as well. Dyslexia rules KO.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Weird to hear the pronunciation the other day. Can’t remember if it was on Charlton TV or Charlton Life podcast. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Southbank said:
    Good job we have strength on the bench (Watson, Pearce , Davison and a bunch of kids who do not look up to it.)
    All going well, Tommy.

Seeing as Washington looks like he will be missing there should now be no good reason why Schwartz can't be on the bench.....or are you telling me we will he going into a home match with just TWO strikers. One playing & 1 on the bench. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'd be tempted to play Pearce and stick Famewo left back. Anything to keep Gunter from playing there. 
  • Options
    Got my prediction spot on for MK apart from our goal scorer. Let's hope I get this one wrong. Apologies to those that dont like negativity but can only see a 0-2 defeat at least. As I say, let's hope I'm wrong.
  • Options
    If he plays the same midfield three, it's a defeat. Watson must start, there is no other option sadly.
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    All going well, Tommy.

Seeing as Washington looks like he will be missing there should now be no good reason why Schwartz can't be on the bench.....or are you telling me we will he going into a home match with just TWO strikers. One playing & 1 on the bench. 
    You'd think Ronnie would be selected. He's had 4 weeks of training under his belt. He can't be that unfit. 
  • Options
    If Ronnie isnt on the bench I think we can safely assume we are unlikely to ever see him feature again
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    If Ronnie isnt on the bench I think we can safely assume we are unlikely to ever see him feature again
    Who’s going to buy him off us?
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    In which case what was the point of him playing for the U23s the other day?
    ozaddick said:
    Southbank said:
    All going well, Tommy.

You'd think Ronnie would be selected. He's had 4 weeks of training under his belt. He can't be that unfit. 
    Only played 45mins though, the rest of the squad were at that stage of fitness a month ago
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    ozaddick said:
    Southbank said:
    All going well, Tommy.

Only played 45mins though, the rest of the squad were at that stage of fitness a month ago
    So good enough for a spot on the bench with half hour of playing time possible? You'd think so. 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    ozaddick said:
    Southbank said:
    All going well, Tommy.

That is my point mate, he played for the U23's the other night. If he isnt in the squad on Saturday NA must really not fancy him. I personally would love to see him feature as I think DJ and Kirk might be just be able to supply balls into the box that he could feed on
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    AndyG said:
    ozaddick said:
    Southbank said:
    All going well, Tommy.

That is my point mate, he played for the U23's the other night. If he isnt in the squad on Saturday NA must really not fancy him. I personally would love to see him feature as I think DJ and Kirk might be just be able to supply balls into the box that he could feed on
    If he was on the way out though I'd question if Adkins would even bother worrying about getting his match fitness up.

Leave that to the other poor sods that'll sign him if anyone.