Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Wigan Athletic | Saturday 21st August | Match Preview

Comments

• Options
    The difference between Jordon Cousins reception and Ben Amos will be quite telling today. JC will get a good reception where Ben Amos will get the Judas treatment from the Covered end.  You just know if we beat him from 25 yards it will hit the crossbar and the ball goes safe; or just hits the corner flag !
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    1-0 win

Solid, professional, uninspiring win which will be perfectly fine to get the first 3 points.of the season. Clean sheet victory baby.

The positivity posse extremists will declare it a new dawn and a complete performance, top 2 is in sight, the Thomas Sandgaard era has begun and a crowning ceremony will be scheduled, every fan will have to great TS with a well vaselined hand or "you're not proper Charlton"

The negativity naz!s will declare it a false dawn and a paper over the cracks performance, DJ shit, Morgan shit, Stockley a one trick pony and Watson is too old. CATS (campaign against Thomas Sandgaard) is mentioned for the first time.

A lot of opinions will be passed off and accepted as fact and much debate about us and Ipswich will happen, sources finally confirm they're paying every player 30k a week. 
  • Options
    The difference between Jordon Cousins reception and Ben Amos will be quite telling today. JC will get a good reception where Ben Amos will get the Judas treatment from the Covered end.  You just know if we beat him from 25 yards it will hit the crossbar and the ball goes safe; or just hits the corner flag !
    Who is going to have a shot on target from 25 yards? 
  • Options
    Who is going to have a shot on target from 25 yards? 
    Morgan for one, that's why I said about maybe hitting the corners flag. I believe you were at the Wimbledon game when Albie saw the keeper off his line and tried to hit the target from the near the half way line.
    It was a Hollywood attempt when we needed local rep in the League cup.

How far out was Kwadwo Baah with his two shots which beat Ben Amos ? Less than that but at an angle. From 1 yard to 25 yards let's create chances and hit the target and see if Ben can save them

Amis is a decent keeper at League 1 level and just like the erratic Ben Hamer, left Cafc when still in credit. 
  • Options
    LCafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Nads and TS should know that expectations were high and we needed to hit the ground running.

We won't win with 1 up front.
    Change the formation to a bog standard 4-4-2, using both wings to attack.

He probably won't, and this will be another boring display/defeat. Then Nads will be within 4 games of losing the support of the fans, and possibly the owner.
    Which 2 central midfeilders do you expect to do the job that 3 haven't been able to do?

We won quite a lot of games with 1 up front towards the end of last season, including 1 when we scored 6.

The formation isn't the problem. 

It is a problem at the Valley when we have no goal scoring midfielders, No super sub  Chuks who could score and now no Washington who most of his career could score 1 in 3 in League1.

I like Stockley but he won't score many on the deck in the area without good support.

The Plymouth 6 goals was a freak result as for once we had support in the box and Gilbey was on Fire along with Millar and Stockley plus we had Chuks to bring on to run riot. We created more chances in that away game than 4 home matches. 

I said we would struggle to score from open play in August with the 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 before the Sheff Wed game and so far just a Penalty and a header from a free kick.

With the players available, we are not set up to score and now Nigel's master plan of 25 clean sheets is looking dubious with the mandatory mistakes.

Not the formation per se, but we appeared to be one even more defensive when we went 2-1 down against MK Dons who couldn't believe their luck how easy the game was at 2-1 up.

Did you not want a striker to play along side Stockley ? Forget about anyone else I'm only talking about Cafc not Man city.
    It doesn't matter if you play 1 striker, 2 strikers, 3 strikers or more IF your getting totally over run in midfield as we have in 3 of the last 4 games.

If you remember in the Plymouth game they started with a midfield 5 and changed it to a 4, then we totally over ran them.  Gilbey, Millar et al were able to bomb forward, at will, even super sub Pratley got in the act.  That was because we controlled the midfield.

You point about Chuks is correct and I haven't seen anyone suggest otherwise.

I'll ask again which 2 central midfeilders do we have that could do the job 3 have so far failed to do?
    Your question is not valid as the dynamics change. 
    A flippant answer would be that in a 4-4-2 there will be one more midfielder, but I would suggest that by reducing the flexibility of roles that playing in a three demands it would enable the two to concentrate on the one aspect of defending.
  • Options
    I’ve received an email from the club advising I get to the Valley early so I don’t miss the pre match entertainment.
    I don’t want that but really hope for entertainment during the match.
  • Options
    For the record, I rate Ben Amos highly at league one level.
    His dodgy spell coincided with our first choice centre backs out of the team.
    He dominates his area catching high balls and made some top class saves from inside the 6 yard box.

Would love it though if he dropped a high ball at Stockley's feet.

• Options
    2-1
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    2-1
    Thanks! Well happy with that. Glad we’ve got you living over there to tell us the scores early. 👌🏻
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I suspect my first 🤦🏻‍♀️ will be when I see the line-up; more 🤦🏻‍♀️ will follow throughout the match & I’ll probably spend the rest of the weekend reading the post-match meltdown here 😫
  • Options
    Ghandour currently out on the pitch doing some drills
  • Options
    Christ no
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    Christ no
    Kirk on the bench I reckon
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Southbank said:
    Christ no
    Nooo... Means he's not involved today

Wouldnt be out this early warming up today if he was part of the squad

Jacob Roddy is with him as well
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    Christ no
    Kirk on the bench I reckon
    Starts... No Clare today
  • Options
    edited August 2021
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Yay:  Kirk starting. 

Boo: Watson starting. 

Watson and Dobson together sounds like a fun time. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    FFS fella :D

Someone else put the team sheet up, me and SELR are getting our wires crossed
  • Options
    Presume Clare is injured 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Team news  ?

And no match thread. Poor. 
  • Options
    Why don’t we have a CM on the bench? Giving Watson 90 mins is asking for trouble.
  • Options
    Watson and Dobson together! We could call
    them Watson, or even Dob…
  • Options
    Think people play football manager to much. There’s nothing more solid than 2 banks of 4.when defending look how easy m k dons first goal was. Walked through. You have 2 banks when defending when you attach one central midfield sits and covers the other goes forward with the RM and LM  players. Making 5 attaching players.with there 2 CB having a player to mark all the time instead of one marking and one sitting in a deck chair. The fullback have got to mark the RM and LM so all there back four have got a player to mark. Which will make there midfield track back to have spare players. 
    Do you think this 433 is entertaining because I’m fed up with it already we don’t look like scoring. Unless they start moving positions a bit more. Like MK dons 3 strikers did. 
    Honest question. 

Why out of 68 teams in the top 3 divisions did 65 of them not play 442 if its that obvious?  Are they all wrong?

Any formation can be entertaining when executed well and not when it isn't. 
  • Options
    Looking at the bench we are set up to chase the game. 2 strikers, Claydon and the new boy all with splinters.
  • Options
    What happens if we need to change Morgan, Watson or Dobson? 
  • Options
    Surprised Washington is fit enough for the bench