Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Wigan Athletic | Saturday 21st August | Match Preview

Comments

• Options
    I agree with the majority on here that we will likely get turned over..... but its making me think, when are we going to win?

We are gonna have to win games at some point. A good number of them to even stay up.

I cant even imagine our current midfield being able to win a game of football.
  • Options
    1-1 We will raise our game against Wigan. Kirk enterprising…
  • Options
    Charlton Life is going to be fantastic if we lose this one. Inject the entertainment into my veins.
  • Options
    We'll  look good in patches but Albie will blaze over from 6 yards out and we'll fail to keep a clean sheet. Got a mate coming down for this so it should be a good laugh before and after at least. 
  • Options
    Bring in Pearce, Clayden and Watson. 
  • Options
    0-2 down @ h/t to a Wyke brace. "Couldve had four". Kirk smashes in at the death to grab a point and ... and our season has finally begun! 
  • Options
    Looking forward to this.

Adkins surely has to start Kirk and with Washington potentially injured surely Schwartz has to be on the bench......if not then Cawley or Mendez wont be doing their jobs if they dont ask why the f**k not.

Head says we will lose but its the CAFC way to win when we are least expecting it.

2-0. 
  • Options
    Wyke isn’t that great a striker. He will score if chances are laid on a plate for him as McGeady did many times last season.
    He hasn’t scored this season (cue the inevitable!).
    One needs to look beyond the number of goals he scored last season.
  • Options
    Phil said:
    Wyke isn’t that great a striker.He will score if chances are laid on a plate for him as McGeady did many times last season.
    Am sure that we'll oblige
  • Options
    Phil said:
    Wyke isn’t that great a striker.He will score if chances are laid on a plate for him as McGeady did many times last season.
    Hope Innis is fit because we need his height against Wyke.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RedChaser said:
    Phil said:
    Wyke is the same height as Famewo
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    RedChaser said:
    Phil said:
    Wyke is the same height as Famewo
    Yeah but bigger in this case is better 😉
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Phil said:
    I didn’t think Adkins sounded particularly confident in his post match conference, when he said Inniss should be fit for Wigan. Can see him missing out.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    The tactics I feel we should employ for this one are not pretty. Davison and Stockley as a front two. Kirk and DJ out wide. Long balls forward bypassing midfield and the two midfielders kicking lumps out of Wigan when they try to build. Set pieces our main chance.

I expect more of the same though so victory requires Wigan not to score and defeat possibly requires Wigan not to score more than one.
  • Options
    Looking forward to this.

Adkins surely has to start Kirk and with Washington potentially injured surely Schwartz has to be on the bench......if not then Cawley or Mendez wont be doing their jobs if they dont ask why the f**k not.

Head says we will lose but its the CAFC way to win when we are least expecting it.

2-0. 

Golfie wins the contrary award 2021.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    We may not have any stars, but I hope Kirk will show some enterprise as we try to trek back up the league. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Washington must be a non starter so another source of a goal has gone.

Our super sub Aneke has Gone.

The Elephant in the room Ronnie Schwartz is no where to be seen.

Josh Davison should play despite looking  short of the standard. At least he will run and run and despite the poor lob against Wimbledon did produce one of our few decent shots on target this Season. Play him nearer to Stockley so he can at least attempt an effort on goal plus it supports the lonely Jayden.

We have an emergency at LB, an 18 year old and a 100 capped Welsh RB are not the answer.  When will steady Eddie,  Ben Purrington be back ?

Nigel Adkins said he wanted a younger fitter side: then why does Watson come on when we are 2-1 down and should be chasing the game ? Ben was a useful player in his day BUT he is so off the pace, JJ could out run him !

Mix and match on Saturday, long ball to the twin strikers to pressure League 1 CB but also feed both Charlie Kirk, and DJ who had a superb 1st half at MK Dons though it was nearly forgotten after the 2nd half no show, when the Dons passed around, through and then used game management to kill us off.

I will go for an optimistic draw, if Morgan, Clare, Kirk, Dobson, DJ can get in their faces and treat the game the same way lower division teams treat a cup tie (not Cafc who haven't treated the cups with respect for years)

Composure, Composure, and if the players especially DJ and Albie haven't been working on shots on target in the afternoon then we will continue to be a bottom half League 1 team and that really isn't why nearly 10k Cafc fans/critics/supporters/ families and piss heads purchased season tickets.

Get well soon, Purrington and Gilbey and the goal scorer who is going to manifest in the next 12 days. 

• Options
    Not too hopeful after witnessing the first 3 league games . We seem to do OK for first 20 minutes, the it all goes tits up . 3-1 to Wigan  .
  • Options
    Phil said:
    Wyke isn’t that great a striker. He will score if chances are laid on a plate for him as McGeady did many times last season.
    Surely that applies to most L1 strikers though. How many goals will Stockley score without service? Or BWP 10 years ago
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    We may not have any stars, but I hope Kirk will show some enterprise as we try to trek back up the league. 

Trev, this is Cafc, please keep your feet on the ground because, "Houston we have a problem". 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Apollo 11 or Apollo 13 of football matches?

I would normally say "you never know with Charlton", but i think it is evident we are deficient across the pitch.

So it's Apollo 13 for me.
  • Options
    Hoping for a performance, anything less and there will be mayhem. 
    Head says 0-3 Wigan, Heart says 2-1 Charlton.
    Didn't go to Oxford, went to MK and was the worst performance by a Charlton side in a LONG LONG time.
    Lets put it right, starting on Saturday.....COYRs
  • Options
    I fear we'll fail to register a shot on target despite Amos being absolute wank at dealing with shots from distance.

cant see us getting hammered but think we'll lose 1-0.

meh
  • Options
    Really hoping for a better performance otherwise I worry things could start to get toxic among the crowd. 
  • Options
    Charlton Life is going to be fantastic if we lose this one. Inject the entertainment into my veins.
    Simpsons Hook It To My Veins GIF - Simpsons Hook It To My Veins Barney -  Discover amp Share GIFs
  • Options
    God damn my positivity because it hurts more when I'm let down but I do think we will win.

Sub par performance but think we will scrape it 1-0 with the headmaster scoring.
  • Options
    I'm feeling optimistic, so on the score prediction thread I went for a 0-0 draw
  • Options
    Hoping for a performance, anything less and there will be mayhem. 
    Head says 0-3 Wigan, Heart says 2-1 Charlton.
    Didn't go to Oxford, went to MK and was the worst performance by a Charlton side in a LONG LONG time.
    Lets put it right, starting on Saturday.....COYRs

You can't include the 1st half, where for the first 20 mins and the last 10 mins we played some decent football with DJ outstanding.
    The pass to Stockley was sublime by DJ but a good save rather that a bad miss by Jayden changed the course of the match.
    Also Morgan set peices were good and one free kick led to the goal.

2nd half we were woeful, and after losing Washington, it looked like damage limitation by Nadkins, and trying not to concede more goals.

• Options
    1-3 Wigan 
  • Options
    Missing it for a wedding. Therefore it's nailed on to be the first win of the season.