Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Wigan Athletic | Saturday 21st August | Match Preview

Comments

• Options
    Can someone explain to me how 4 players in midfield is weaker than 3 players in midfield because I can’t see that I must be mental. 
    This 433 is only going to work if one of the wide players comes in along side stockley when the other wide player has the ball. Ours are just staying wide at the moment. So all 3 are isolated the cross has to be right on the money with only stockley to aim at and there’s not many players at this level can do that constantly. Astockley has 2 CB to deal with while the full backs mark our wide players. It ain’t going to work by keeping the wide players wide we haven’t scored one goal from open play yet 
    Simple. 3 in the middle is more than 2 in the middle. 

2 in the middle are very flat, 3 in the middle are dynamic and have less space in front and behind them. 
  • Options
    MattF said:
    Has anyone made the joke yet that we should only be taking shots from outside the area tomorrow? If they haven't, we should definitely take lots of shots from outside the area tomorrow

Ben Amos will get a mixed reception because leaving Cafc is like leaving a cult and the cult members will give him stick but going back up to the House he had built in the North west, sounds like a good professional decision especially as the wages were higher. As long as he has his new contact lens in ! Amos will save any long range shots even in the miracle that they are on target.

He was in credit from his first stay at Cafc and in credit from last season despite doubts on some long range shots.

• Options
    Think people play football manager to much. There’s nothing more solid than 2 banks of 4.when defending look how easy m k dons first goal was. Walked through. You have 2 banks when defending when you attach one central midfield sits and covers the other goes forward with the RM and LM  players. Making 5 attaching players.with there 2 CB having a player to mark all the time instead of one marking and one sitting in a deck chair. The fullback have got to mark the RM and LM so all there back four have got a player to mark. Which will make there midfield track back to have spare players. 
    Do you think this 433 is entertaining because I’m fed up with it already we don’t look like scoring. Unless they start moving positions a bit more. Like MK dons 3 strikers did. 
  • Options
    1-0 win. Stockley 

Really hope we win to lift the negative and start climbing the table. 
  • Options
    Can’t see a win, draw 1-1 maybe best we can hope for. Still may be good enough to keep us out the bottom 3. 
  • Options
    Think people play football manager to much. There’s nothing more solid than 2 banks of 4.when defending look how easy m k dons first goal was. Walked through. You have 2 banks when defending when you attach one central midfield sits and covers the other goes forward with the RM and LM  players. Making 5 attaching players.with there 2 CB having a player to mark all the time instead of one marking and one sitting in a deck chair. The fullback have got to mark the RM and LM so all there back four have got a player to mark. Which will make there midfield track back to have spare players. 
    Do you think this 433 is entertaining because I’m fed up with it already we don’t look like scoring. Unless they start moving positions a bit more. Like MK dons 3 strikers did. 
    Ultimately the best formation suits the players you have the best.
  • Options
    Dreading this … Thomas better have his tin hat ready if we lose
  • Options
    clive said:
    Jesus !

Schwartz still not involved.

Something is very much amiss if after playing 45 mins for the U23's on tues he can't be on the bench. 
  • Options
    I have no hope. Does that mean we have a chance?
  • Options
    clive said:
    Jesus !

Something is very much amiss if after playing 45 mins for the U23's on tues he can't be on the bench. 
    Might have something to do with the fact he has done dick all since January. The only thing he has managed to work on is air miles. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clive said:
    Jesus !

I have to say I’m still for some reason really hoping he is able to play and prove a lot of people wrong, however, how can a professional footballer be so unfit he can’t run around and kick a ball for 30mins? Very strange situation. Or am I out of line? Has he actually had COVID and has suffered bad. If so I apologise for my impatience.
  • Options
    Dread a home game with Wigan at the best of times but this week....
    I have an irrational dislike of Wigan mainly in that they have had success.paid for in the past with little support. Now with a new owner rescuing them I would not be surprised to see them in a few years time back in the same position as last season.
    We are a mess, nobody seems to know what is going on but it really has killed all optimism. This game will not help, 2-0 Wigan.
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    clive said:
    Jesus !

I have to say I’m still for some reason really hoping he is able to play and prove a lot of people wrong, however, how can a professional footballer be so unfit he can’t run around and kick a ball for 30mins? Very strange situation. Or am I out of line? Has he actually had COVID and has suffered bad. If so I apologise for my impatience.
    Like you I wanted to see him come good but he played 45 mins for the u23's so he must have some level of fitness. If he cant make the squad when we literally have no options on the bench I seriously doubt he will ever feature for us which is just plain weird when you look at his past record
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    paulfox said:
    clive said:
    Jesus !

Like you I wanted to see him come good but he played 45 mins for the u23's so he must have some level of fitness. If he cant make the squad when we literally have no options on the bench I seriously doubt he will ever feature for us which is just plain weird when you look at his past record
    I’m finding the near silence over the situation quite frustrating, if he’s not going to be seen why don’t the club just get rid if that’s what both parties want?. 
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    AndyG said:
    paulfox said:
    clive said:
    Jesus !

I’m finding the near silence over the situation quite frustrating, if he’s not going to be seen why don’t the club just get rid if that’s what both parties want?. 
    Maybe that there are no other clubs wanting to sign him
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    paulfox said:
    AndyG said:
    paulfox said:
    clive said:
    Jesus !

Maybe that there are no other clubs wanting to sign him
    Would be nice to hear some honest assessment of the situation.🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    The irony and comedy gold is that Ronnie Schwartz isn't fit to be put on the bench and play 10 minutes at the end when we are chasing a game. Conor Washington isn't fit to play yet Watson can be put on to play his walking football when we are 2-1 down at MK Dons. 

I just want Charlton Athletic to stop being a comedy side. The bar is being set so low, limbo dancers can't get under.
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    clive said:
    Jesus !

This is where the silence about Ronnie's issues doesn't do him or the club any favours. Has he been genuinely ill (whether Covid or mental illness or whatever) or not? As "stakeholders" in the club, it's not unreasonable to be given some information about what's going on

After all we're getting detailed updates about Gilbey, and as a result everyone understands the situation and wishes him well. That we're not getting the same for Ronnie, if anything just makes people suspect the worst.
  • Options
    What can you say about it footballer who isn't good enough to play? In public. As a professional manager? 
  • Options
    3-1 to the Addicks. Clare, Schwartz and Blackett-Taylor on the scoresheet.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2021
    There’s a reason most of the top clubs play 4-3-3.

Two banks of four is all well and good until you get caught out when both your wingers are stuck high up the pitch. Most 4-4-2 formations will have one flair winger and on the opposite side, someone who can tuck in and do a job in the middle to maintain defensive solidity. And then you’re back to effectively a 433 again.

It may have been popular to look at Powell’s team in 11/12 as a 4-4-2 but trust me, it was a lopsided 4-3-3 shape more than you realise.

— BWP - Kermorgant
    —————————Wagstaff
    Jackson
    ————Hollands Stephens
  • Options
    Mac 

Matthews Innis Pearce Fam 

Morgan  Dobson

DJ   Kirk  Claydon

Stocks

Fam at left back because Gunter can't start after Tuesday and we miss Pearce leadership.  

Morgan is not a number 10. We need him deeper picking up loose balls and knocking it about the pitch

Claydon  to pull out wide as Fam won't be overlapping but Kirk and DJ need to be close to Stockley so he has support. 

Definitely not the team I wanted to be putting out but it's the best I've got!

1-1 and that's hopeful 
  • Options
    Yes, teams don't have to be balanced. I have often thought that a great formation would be to have a wing back and a more conventional full back with a wide attacker ahead of him. The advantage would be that there is no need to play three at the back or potentially leave your defence over exposed. But it is about players and what their strengths are ultimately. 
  • Options
    We're gonna win, I found my lucky shirt and it still fits
  • Options

Congratulations on keeping yourself in good shape.
  • Options
    My first game of the season and one that to be honest, Wigan, is always a game I dread. The games against them rarely, if at all, produce classics.
    But it’s an afternoon out with my friends and a few beers so something to look forward to. 
    0-2 northerners. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    If Wigan line-up with a 4-2-3-1 style middle today:

CM              CM

AM

And we line-up with a 4-4-2 middle today.

CM              CM

Who marks Wigan's AM?

A central defender? Then there's a big hole in defence for someone to run into. A winger? Now there's an overload on one of the flanks. A midfielder? Well we've got 2 and they've got 3, so now one is completely free. 

That's why nobody is playing 4-4-2. One simple pass in the middle and your whole shape is all over the place. 
  • Options

Congratulations on keeping yourself in good shape.
    I just bought a big shirt and grew into it 😉

It's got a 100% win record, so I'm quietly confident about today 🤞
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Other than Tutt-Tutt, Muttley and myself, I'm not sure who else on CL has managed, coached teams, and set teams up. Some guys have played at a part time level but most have garnered experienced from football manager or I assume watching thousands of matches or playing in weekend Football.

Have relationships all over the field and link up.  Watch the best teams when there on it and there is always some one in space. We were the better team for the first 20 and last 10 minutes of the first half. We did not just play long ball to Stockley. In the 2nd half we were woeful and MK Dons just passed around us and through us. 

Nigel does have to own that 2nd half performance because that's why he's paid the big bucks. It's his gig not mine or yours.

100% support for Nigel Adkins and the team during and after the game, and then I will come on CL and give Constructive criticism or even praise if the impotent 4-3-3 can start to work this season. 

My hearts goes with 1-0 my football head,
    0-2.
    I dug myself into a hole by saying before a ball was kicked this season we would draw every game in August and I wasn't convinced we would score a goal from open play. Two defeats say I was too optimistic but unfortunately prescient so far with our attacking game.
  • Options
    To be honest, my coaching was at a much simpler level. It gives you an insight sometimes but is chalk and cheese on what goes on in the professional game. They have opponents analysed and develop tactics around that. We sort of sucked it and seed on the day. 

Some of the teams we played had rudimentary systems and rehearsed moves. I found it nigh on impossible to get anything above the very basic into the players. Which was probably partly my lack of coaching ability and partly their abilities and partly that we trained together for an hour a week. I got criticism for having short sided games and not drills in training but I thought drills were a waste of time with the limitations we had to deal with. Also if the players didn't enjoy the training they might have too much homework etc... :)