Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Corey Blackett-Taylor - (p34 - signed for Derby on loan til the end of the season)

Comments

• Elliot Lee also gave the sense he'd do something exciting for a while, until we crushed him
  • I'll be interested to see what we do with that spot next season. We still need a proper left wing-back in. Thre's no way we're getting away with him there in tight games against top opposition unless he really works on the defensive side of his game over the summer. He's looked terrifying against teams bound for League Two, which is great, but you could see in the Portsmouth match - where they were terrible - that the brilliant forward runs also came with troubling defensive lapses and that space will be targeted by teams next season. On the one hand it'll give that gap between the RWB and the RCB a break for once, but what we really need is the ability to keep the opposition guessing with having both a really defensively aware attacking LWB as well as the raw pace and surprise factor of CBT to rotate in at various points. I think if we look at CBT as our main man there and move on we'll regret it

I guess that's why we're now seeing Purrington at LCB when CBT plays ...... when CBT gets forward, Purrington being a traditional LB, moves across to cover CBT's run - and the rest of the back line shunt across to cover Purrington's CB position.

Maybe that's the 'masterplan'? :smile:

• Everything I like about Leko with less of the bad. That’s cbt
    I mentioned in the last post match thread how he is turning into the player Leko could have been.

Be interesting to see if he can maintain it. 
  • Leuth said:
    Elliot Lee also gave the sense he'd do something exciting for a while, until we crushed him
    yeah it must be tough when a few thousand are singing that you are the "white Pele" 
    I mentioned in the last post match thread how he is turning into the player Leko could have been.

Leko is an interesting one this season for me. He really hasnt shown anything like the player he was previously for us before his injury. Maybe he isnt fully recovered ? when I watch him he doesnt seem that interested for some reason
  • AndyG said:
    Leuth said:
    Elliot Lee also gave the sense he'd do something exciting for a while, until we crushed him
    yeah it must be tough when a few thousand are singing that you are the "white Pele" 
    The most inappropriate nickname I've heard for some time.
  • AndyG said:
    Everything I like about Leko with less of the bad. That’s cbt

Leko is an interesting one this season for me. He really hasnt shown anything like the player he was previously for us before his injury. Maybe he isnt fully recovered ? when I watch him he doesnt seem that interested for some reason
    I thought he showed flashes of the player he could be at the beginning of the season, and indeed even did decent when he first fitted in at wing back in JJ's 3-5-2.

Sadly it has all gone downhill since, which partly was probably not helped by the team performing poorly as well as him being put up front - which I really don't think is a good position for him.
  • AndyG said:
    Everything I like about Leko with less of the bad. That’s cbt

I thought he showed flashes of the player he could be at the beginning of the season, and indeed even did decent when he first fitted in at wing back in JJ's 3-5-2.

Sadly it has all gone downhill since, which partly was probably not helped by the team performing poorly as well as him being put up front - which I really don't think is a good position for him.
    Your right on the playing him upfront bit for sure. I have just been suprised by what I have seen in terms of effort from him. When he came back he really did seem delighted to be here and I would have thought he would be busting a gut to try and stay and although it is only my view from watching him he doesnt seem to have done so
  • Leko has certainly gone backwards.
  • Sponsored links:

• It's mad isnt it that certain players have made an impact whilst others who would have been expected to haven't. I for one wasnt really that bothered when we signed CBT but now I would be gutted if he left as I want see how he develops here. Another example is Dobson, he couldnt get near the starting squad earlier in the season and now he is imo so far ahead in the POY stakes the others may as well not turn up. The downside for me would be players such as Gilbey who I had such high hopes for this season but for some reason it just hasnt happened 
  • AndyG said:
    It's mad isnt it that certain players have made an impact whilst others who would have been expected to haven't. I for one wasnt really that bothered when we signed CBT but now I would be gutted if he left as I want see how he develops here. Another example is Dobson, he couldnt get near the starting squad earlier in the season and now he is imo so far ahead in the POY stakes the others may as well not turn up. The downside for me would be players such as Gilbey who I had such high hopes for this season but for some reason it just hasnt happened 

And there's the difficult piece about recruitment - in football and in the wider world of employment - the human factor. You can do all the homework you like, watch a player play a hundred times, interrogate the stats to the nth degree, interview everyone a player has known since they were 6 years old yet, still, even if all the evidence points to them being a great signing, they can show up at the club and not settle immediately, lose confidence or comfort in their environment and their form goes down the pan. Or they can catch COVID and struggle to recover. Or a relative can die at the worst possible time, etc. etc.

Recruitment is not an exact science, and I think, while accepting that there were probably things that could have been done differently or better in the last 2 summer transfer windows, there's also a large slice of luck that comes into it when you assemble a squad that just gels and works at the first attempt.

There's a reason why everyone still talks about the way the team gelled under Powell - because that kind of thing is not the norm and just because it happened once doesn't mean it's reasonable to expect it will happen every time or that it is easy to replicate. Even with the Powell side, I remember Danny Green being one of the players that people were most excited about when he signed, but he ended up being one that split opinion and was probably one of the less successful signings (aside from probably the only total flops that season in Alonso and Clarke). There were things that happened that summer that helped, but it was more than just getting players signed early, we also lucked out to an extent that they all lived up to what they were hoped to be when identified as signings and just gelled and fought for the shirt from day one.
  • Coincidence or CBT's positive influence on the side?

From the turn of the year we have played 22 games of which we've won 8, drawn 4 and lost 10.

This is a list of games in which CBT did not start in that period:

L 1-0
    L 1-0
    L 2-1
    D 1-1
    D 2-2
    L 2-1
    L 2-1
    L 4-0
    L 2-0
    L 2-0 
    D 0-0
    L 2-1
    D 1-1

P 13, W 0, D 4, L 9, F 5-A 22

Now the games in that period when he did start:

W 1-0
    W 2-0
    W 2-1
    W 3-2
    W 1-0
    W 2-0
    W 1-0
    L 2-1
    W 1-0

P 9, W 8, D 0, L 1, F 14-A 5  

The one game we lost when Taylor started in that period was the Lincoln match and of course we were somewhat destabilised early on by the sending off of Gilbey. The two set of stats are still quite remarkable though. 

Delving a bit deeper, there is a factor that gives a more rational reason for the successful matches - the final 6 wins all contained the following players in the starting line up:

MacGillvray
    Matthews
    Clare
    Dobson
    CBT
    Stockley or Aneke
    Washington

There would, however, have been plenty of games in that time where CBT did not start but the majority of the others did on occasions when we lost. So, is he our lucky charm or is it just a case of those 7/8 players being our starting point for next season? 
    Interesting stats but given that MacG, Clare and Dobson have been playing for most of the season, how many of the 13 winless games featured Stockley and/or Washington? They're the key for me.

From the turn of the year we have played 22 games of which we've won 8, drawn 4 and lost 10.

L 1-0
    L 1-0
    L 2-1
    D 1-1
    D 2-2
    L 2-1
    L 2-1
    L 4-0
    L 2-0
    L 2-0 
    D 0-0
    L 2-1
    D 1-1

W 1-0
    W 2-0
    W 2-1
    W 3-2
    W 1-0
    W 2-0
    W 1-0
    L 2-1
    W 1-0

The one game we lost when Taylor started in that period was the Lincoln match and of course we were somewhat destabilised early on by the sending off of Gilbey. The two set of stats are still quite remarkable though. 

Delving a bit deeper, there is a factor that gives a more rational reason for the successful matches - the final 6 wins all contained the following players in the starting line up:

MacGillvray
    Matthews
    Clare
    Dobson
    CBT
    Stockley or Aneke
    Washington

There would, however, have been plenty of games in that time where CBT did not start but the majority of the others did on occasions when we lost. So, is he our lucky charm or is it just a case of those 7/8 players being our starting point for next season? 
    Interesting stats but given that MacG, Clare and Dobson have been playing for most of the season, how many of the 13 winless games featured Stockley and/or Washington? They're the key for me.
    And that's a very fair point. Those that started out of Washington and/or Stockley or Aneke in those games:

L 1-0 Washington
    L 1-0
    L 2-1 Washington
    D 1-1 Aneke
    D 2-2 Washington
    L 2-1
    L 2-1
    L 4-0
    L 2-0
    L 2-0 
    D 0-0 Stockley
    L 2-1 Stockley
    D 1-1 Washington/Aneke

As I've said, MacGillvray, Matthews, Clare, Dobson, CBT, Stockley or Aneke and Washington should be our starting point and might be the sort of underpin for a team (plus three or four regular starters) that we had when successful in 2011/12. Our biggest problem at the start of this season was that we didn't have a squad let alone any knowledge of what our best side might look like. That really shouldn't be the case next season.
  • edited April 2022
    RC_CAFC said:
    All this proves that it’s so ridiculous when fans state… I don’t want league 2 players or I don’t want Prem loans, or I don’t want players who are coming down from above as they’ll be less hungry… 

The best players from Charlton have come from anywhere and everywhere and it’s about us signing the right player and person, not where they’ve been playing their football so far.
    Especially when one thinks that we didn't want to pay the asking price for Sorba Thomas but did sign Pope, Lookman, Bonne and Burstow - and made substantial returns on the relatively low combined investment. We also took a punt on signing Michael Smith from Darlington - he didn't work out for us but has certainly had a decent career with 24 goals from 49 appearances this season for Rotherham.
  • RC_CAFC said:
    All this proves that it’s so ridiculous when fans state… I don’t want league 2 players or I don’t want Prem loans, or I don’t want players who are coming down from above as they’ll be less hungry… 

The best players from Charlton have come from anywhere and everywhere and it’s about us signing the right player and person, not where they’ve been playing their football so far.
    Exactly it's generally hit and miss. Sometimes we sign a Bielik, Gallagher and Dasilva on loan, and other times we get a Levitt, John and Castillo. The key is of course trying to get more hits.
  • Sponsored links:

• AndyG said:
    CBT has been the only player I've really enjoyed watching this season.
    100% agree. My negative feelings about this season are not even based on our results tbh. I want to watch my team and occasionally feel that sense of anticipation and get on the edge of my seat when a player is going to be doing something exciting. He is the only player really that has done that. TBH the season has been a bit of a borefest regardless of the results

I thought the first 13 games or so were boring or poor but personally I like to watch teams who create chances and maybe I have been lucky but the last 6 homes games I have been to we have won 5 of them and even Lincoln we created 6 good chances which were squandered by mainly Washington who is an honest player but hit and miss. 

I gave the Oxford home game a swerve  when I realized who was missing and we got thumped. 

CBT needs to be more of a forward player as his wing back responsibilities negate his attacking prowess. Not convinced his stamina is good enough for him to be a wing back. 
    Having two central strikers and CBT switching to the left or right wing depending on the slowest defender who is marking him. Obviously the two up front are mobile and keep working the CB's.

L 1-0
    L 1-0
    L 2-1
    D 1-1
    D 2-2
    L 2-1
    L 2-1
    L 4-0
    L 2-0
    L 2-0 
    D 0-0
    L 2-1
    D 1-1

W 1-0
    W 2-0
    W 2-1
    W 3-2
    W 1-0
    W 2-0
    W 1-0
    L 2-1
    W 1-0

MacGillvray
    Matthews
    Clare
    Dobson
    CBT
    Stockley or Aneke
    Washington

Didn’t work today, though CBT still shone.
  • There's only so much a man can do 
  • We need to get him on a longer contract. His performances over the last few games have been fantastic. I am sure it would have been noticed by other clubs
  • Our one creative threat
  • edited April 2022
    Unplayable today. They couldn't get near him. Never seen a Charlton player go past people so easily. 
  • edited April 2022
    Our second most attacking player by average position today, behind only Mason Burstow. Effectively being deployed as a winger in all but name.

• Our second most attacking player by average position today, behind only Mason Burstow. Effectively being deployed as a winger in all but name.

Part of the problem of the 'wing-back' position in a nutshell. Looks so disjointed with massive gaps at the back.