Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Corey Blackett-Taylor - (p34 - signed for Derby on loan til the end of the season)

Comments

• Options
    LTKapal said:
    JamesSeed said:
    CAFCDAZ said:
    I'd happily sell him, we lose as many points as he gains us because of his lack of wanting to support the LB. yes I know I hate lazy wingers, but watch every game back and tell me I'm wrong, you couldn't because its facts
    Er, no we don’t. 
    Goals and assists result in points. Can’t remember him costing any points. This is getting weird now. 
    I think that's a weird statement to make.
    He doesn't cost points the other way or conceeding but he does cost points going forwards but it's not measurable that's the issue. The problem being He's won us points at games quite a few times this season but at the same time cost us quite a few ala yesterday where the correct choice to square to tedic probably would have put us 2-1 up and likely won us the game. ( 2 points dropped) yes we should have played better fullstop but that's a good oppurtunity squandered and it's those fine margins between a poor game we draw and a poor game we won will be the difference between mid table and playoffs realistically.

That said it's difficult because he does so well to get in those positions and the debate whether another winger would get in those positions to get to oppurtunity to pass to tedic ala the example is there but to say he doesn't cost us points in that regard is silly.

@LTKapal  DAZ was talking about CBT costing us goals by not helping out defensively. He wasn’t talking about him costing us points by not passing when he should. 
  • Options
    I can barely remember anyone other than CBT threatening the Orient defence, and he was marked by three defenders most of the time. The times when he isn't closely marked are when we break quickly from defence, which often doesn't happen as our midfielders often like to pass backwards. If CBT is back in defence helping out, he won't be much of a threat up front. He will also need a decent ball to feet ot to chase, so if it goes behind him, he has to pause and collect, leaving him with a lot of work to do.
    So there are numerous problems before he even creates chances. I've seen a few posts from people praising our fans for giving the team abuse at full time. When CBT goes and we lose another creative spark, they'll be able to pat themselves on the back and say 'I helped with that dumbass move' although I'm sure they'll find another Albie Morgan type to jump on instead. 
  • Options
    Once again CBT was our ONLY threat at Orient. It beggars belief that many of our fans are happy to lose our only attacking threat.
    (May scores plenty & finishes, but does not generally create many chances). 
    This. We are back to where we were at the start of the season under Holden. Our only attacking threat is giving the ball to CBT and hoping he creates something. 

Can’t understand how anyone thinks losing CBT is anything but a bad thing for Charlton. 
    We lost JRS in the summer, didnt effectively replace him and now look what a mess we have on our right hand side. If we lose CBT & do the same thing on the left then we are in deep trouble.  
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Bizarre the level of criticism CBT gets.
    Ideally we’d have 4-5 players that were able to score goals, we don’t, we only have 2 players that are liable to score, which puts more pressure and expectation for CBT and Alfie to score every game.

When that doesn’t happen, people get frustrated, but it’s really not their fault, as we haven’t got a decent fit for purpose squad, which is why I refuse to get on CBT’s back.

If he wants to leave in January (some may say he already has checked out in his head) then fine, but for goodness sake if he goes, we should be signing at least 2 players that are likely to score goals, as we are well short, and that’s before you start sorting out the defence.
  • Options
    In all my time enjoying and watching football I have understood that the winger position is by far the position where you get to see the most inconsistent of performances, sometimes dazzling, other times totally ineffective. There are a few exceptions to this rule at elite level, Salah, Messi, Ronaldo once upon a time, but in general and for whatever reason, you just get up and down performances in that area of the pitch. 

Our deficiencies lie in so many other areas of the pitch and are only there due to a series of disastrous recruitment decisions by people who had no clue whatsoever as to what they were doing. Our team is still an unbalanced batch and requires more work done to it than will be possible this window, but CBT is not the problem, however frustrating it can be when he shoots rather than crosses or vice versa, unless they turn into goals or assists, at which point all the Jekyll and Hyde opinions come out to play. 

I think he will be off personally, but just like JRS not being adequately replaced, I think all those wishing him a premature farewell will rue their beliefs. At this League One level we have a proper threat of a player, when his game is on it.

If up for it, financially and commitment wise, our newish owners have an incredible amount of hard work ahead of them. Let’s hope Andy Scott is up to the task. A lot rests of his shoulders now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Once again CBT was our ONLY threat at Orient. It beggars belief that many of our fans are happy to lose our only attacking threat.
    (May scores plenty & finishes, but does not generally create many chances). 
    This. We are back to where we were at the start of the season under Holden. Our only attacking threat is giving the ball to CBT and hoping he creates something. 

Can’t understand how anyone thinks losing CBT is anything but a bad thing for Charlton. 
    We lost JRS in the summer, didnt effectively replace him and now look what a mess we have on our right hand side. If we lose CBT & do the same thing on the left then we are in deep trouble.  
    We also haven't improved on Clare at right back.
  • Options
    CBT isn't creative at all though. He has literally two moves. They're good moves, but byeline and left-foot dink or cut in and shoot is everything he knows. And if you know he's going to do one or the other as a defence, you can organise for it. You know that if he gets the ball, he isn't going to try any sort of early cross or through-ball or skill move.

I'm not saying he isn't one of our most effective players with the ability to make goals happen, but his effectiveness has been well down recently and there have been some downright appalling, weak performances from him. He also doesn't contribute much to team play. I'd rather a midfield where the goals and creativity are spread around than pass to CBT and inshallah
  • Options
    The issue is he is so quick and able to use both feet so well he can go inside or outside, plus we feed him the ball so much that he gets into multiple great positions each game and is then really hit and miss at the end product stuff.  

Some fans see that as a huge negative focussing on the wasted chances but a) that is why he is in L1 and why he won't be doing a double jump to the PL and b) any one we bring in to replace him will almost certainly fail to get into those positions so will ultimately create less... Kirk a classic example.

My only gripe with him is that he doesn't put any effort into the defensive side, I know it's not his game but it is an issue for our solidity and it is an issue for his own personal ceiling imo.

I really hope he stays, I am certain he leaves and we are poorer for it.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    wmcf123 said:
    CBT isn’t aided by the fact that there’s nothing on the other side whatsoever 
    Apart from our best striker ridiculously !
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    CBT isn't creative at all though. He has literally two moves. They're good moves, but byeline and left-foot dink or cut in and shoot is everything he knows. And if you know he's going to do one or the other as a defence, you can organise for it. You know that if he gets the ball, he isn't going to try any sort of early cross or through-ball or skill move.

I'm not saying he isn't one of our most effective players with the ability to make goals happen, but his effectiveness has been well down recently and there have been some downright appalling, weak performances from him. He also doesn't contribute much to team play. I'd rather a midfield where the goals and creativity are spread around than pass to CBT and inshallah
    If he does go though it won't miraculously translate to more goals and creativity being spread around. We'd go from one threat to none.

Outside of maybe Dobson (on a good day) none of the midfield really seem to be contributing to team play. It's very much 4 or 5 individuals who just so happen to be wearing the same colour shirt.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:

So he only goes past his man on the left or right I agree.
    Presumably you want him to also go through his legs or leap frog him?  :)
  • Options
    Fee agreed with Derby
  • Options
    Great player, sad to see him go but understand why we cashed in. Made a big step forward this season and think he'll do well at Derby. Can't begrudge someone wanting to move closer to home either
  • Options
    We have to play them twice still. Would target that side of the Derby line up as we know he won't tackle.
  • Options
    We have to play them twice still. Would target that side of the Derby line up as we know he won't tackle.
    By the time we play Derby he'll be a tackling machine.
  • Options
    And a lot more decisive in front of goal too, it’s the Charlton way.
  • Options
    Kick him into touch early, won’t see him again.