Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton v Wigan — 21/8/2021

Comments

• Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Having had time to calm down and reflect on the game, I think for 70 minutes, we didn’t actually play too badly today. Generally we looked to play our way out, and Watson and Dobson had a grip of the middle of the park. But to be fair to Wigan, every time the put the ball in the box they looked like scoring. Our wingers made it to easy for them to cross, and was not tight. They were crossing from pretty deep. RI & AF got beat every time, or would lose their men.. that is a big issue for me. I think we might need to get Pearce back in the team, he might give the odd penalty away, but you know, they won’t get a free header! 
    Adkins for changed it up at the wrong time today, I actually thought it was our best spell of the game when he took Dobson off, then we lost control of the midfield. And we went to lumping it forward and not winning the 2nd ball.
    Sorry Albie, I really wanted you to be successful this season, but until we know best how to play you, you need to come out of the team. He worked hard, but he created zero, and never wins the 2nd ball.. 

Adkins for me is very stubborn, he has his side and tactics in his head and we seem to stick with it, can’t remember him changing very much since he took over.

I would like us to go to playing 3 5 2 but I know we need to get a left back in to play that. But under Bowyer, some of our best performance were when we played 3 at the back.

Big 10 days for the club, hopefully a couple of good young loans in. If not a bloody long hard season!

Good post Dubai.

I thought Dobson * had a solid game, and he should've stayed on. Washington had to come on but for Albie in the 73th minute. 

CBT for DJ was a risk and that back fired as well. 

Confused how the upper North support the team for 88 minutes and then when the well paid Wigan team grab a goal in the 88th minute " we're effing Shite"  and "not fit to wear the shirt'' ringing out after the experience McLean gets a second as his legs are still good.

The guys all tried and didn't deserve that venom. After Charlie Kirk's poor effort, when a couple of yards out all regulars knew what was coming next.

Not sure how Steve Gallen convinces a club in the Championship or Premier to loan a player to a club in 21st position in League 1 unless they are sub standard and are going to be released soon anyway.

Not sure how Steve Gallen convinces a player and his agent to come to Cafc when we are 21st and none of the players can hit a cow's arse with a banjo when the goal posts are in sight.

*Compared to Cullen or Bielik he is well short but the guy did ok in midfield yesterday.
    Spot on post
  • Options
    If we don’t buy a proper striker plus at least 4 other useful players to strengthen the team we might sample league 2 football next season.
    and TS wants to be in the premiership in 4 to 5 seasons ......utter .fantasy land just like being a serious  rock star 😂😂😂😂😂
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Btw Wigan looked decent. Think Wyke is better than a lot give him credit for (mainly Sunderland fans) and Will Keane looked a good player. As did James McClean - I know a lot of people don't like him but he bossed it when he came on.

Word for Ben Amos taking the banter from the Covered End well too - can't believe we didn't test him at all.
    I wasn't hopeful of testing him. As for criticism of Golfie or any of us who were calling this before the season started, we all want Charlton to win. We say what we do because that is how we see it and criticism and ridicule is only valid if we are proven wrong. I said there were no goals in the team and amazingly I was right. But it isn't insightful football knowledge on my part, you can wiki our team and see it for yourself. Add up the games and average out the goals.
    I agree with you and Golfie and others, the team as it stands has proved to not be good enough. 

Everyone could look at the numbers and see how players had performed in the past but that’s not always the best indicator of future performance. 

I was willing to wait a few games to see how we got on before sticking the boot in and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that approach.

Well done on calling it right re: goal threat before this season started. What I will say to that is that many of the same people were saying the same stuff last summer and we turned out to be one of the best goalscoring teams.
    & we haven't replaced a 15 goal striker
    & like my post says, people were saying the exact same thing last year, even down to your response here.

“Oh no we haven’t replaced Lyle Taylor, who’s going to step up?”

Chuks did, after being famously dubbed “one goal Chuks” by one poster last summer.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    rikofold said:
    Maybe Famewo and Inniss were more confident in front of Amos. Likelihood is they are still getting used to the new keeper. When Amos improved last season, the whole of the defence was strengthened. Football like any other sport is a confidence game. Right now, a number of the players’ confidence looks shot. Look at Albie’s reaction after the first Oxford goal went in. He was down on his haunches with his head in his hands. And I also don’t think Stockley is the right person to be skipper. Needs to be someone who is more in the mix in the middle or at the back. I can see Inniss in this role - someone who can gee everyone up when needed.
    The setup of the team was different. They were protected in midfield by at least Pratley. I agree it's someone more in the mix in the middle. The balance is all wrong, and it's not just the absence of a left foot on the left side. 
    Maybe. Though Pratley only came on at 77 mins. I don’t remember but looks like we played Stockley down the middle, Millar on the left and DJ on the right. Replace Millar with Kirk and that’s the same as yesterday. We did have a proper left back (Purrington) but Matthews was right back (same as yesterday).  Pearce and Famewo were centre backs. As I recall, folk weren’t that enamoured with Pearce last season and were calling out for Inniss. So Inniss and Famewo was what we had yesterday.  Watson played both games - I guess it was him playing deep against Plymouth - no doubt he played the same role yesterday (I didn’t see the game). Amos was in goal. 

That just leaves JFC and Gilbey- replaced yesterday by Morgan and Dobson. A key difference is goals - Gilbey and JFC both scored against Plymouth and have 51 career goals between them. Dobson and Morgan have 9 between them (they are younger and have played less games but don’t look prolific). So on this analysis those who say the problem is in midfield are spot on.
    This in spades.  JFC is a massive gap in this team that hasn't even been attempted to be filled. 
    If the Purrington/left back debacle is anything to go by then I wouldnt put it past them to be thinking that they can just wait  for JFC to get fit again !!
  • Options
    rikofold said:
    Maybe Famewo and Inniss were more confident in front of Amos. Likelihood is they are still getting used to the new keeper. When Amos improved last season, the whole of the defence was strengthened. Football like any other sport is a confidence game. Right now, a number of the players’ confidence looks shot. Look at Albie’s reaction after the first Oxford goal went in. He was down on his haunches with his head in his hands. And I also don’t think Stockley is the right person to be skipper. Needs to be someone who is more in the mix in the middle or at the back. I can see Inniss in this role - someone who can gee everyone up when needed.
    The setup of the team was different. They were protected in midfield by at least Pratley. I agree it's someone more in the mix in the middle. The balance is all wrong, and it's not just the absence of a left foot on the left side. 
    Maybe. Though Pratley only came on at 77 mins. I don’t remember but looks like we played Stockley down the middle, Millar on the left and DJ on the right. Replace Millar with Kirk and that’s the same as yesterday. We did have a proper left back (Purrington) but Matthews was right back (same as yesterday).  Pearce and Famewo were centre backs. As I recall, folk weren’t that enamoured with Pearce last season and were calling out for Inniss. So Inniss and Famewo was what we had yesterday.  Watson played both games - I guess it was him playing deep against Plymouth - no doubt he played the same role yesterday (I didn’t see the game). Amos was in goal. 

That just leaves JFC and Gilbey- replaced yesterday by Morgan and Dobson. A key difference is goals - Gilbey and JFC both scored against Plymouth and have 51 career goals between them. Dobson and Morgan have 9 between them (they are younger and have played less games but don’t look prolific). So on this analysis those who say the problem is in midfield are spot on.
    And Gilbey and JFC are still with the club, so can be expected to play again this season.
  • Options
    Just because other teams are playing 433 we should Should we these  other teams haven’t got a old fashioned centre forward playing for them and no number 10 player only gilbey can play the number 10 roll in our squad and we don’t know when he will be back. .this formation ain’t going to work for us. 4 shots on target all season proves it. Change tactics or we go nowhere but maybe down.no one in our team will manage double figures keep playing like this 
  • Options
    we won’t see see JFC at last seasons levels so write home off. He’ll be back in Jan / Feb and will take a couple months to back to sharpness.

he needs to be discounted for this season and anything above that is a bonus 
  • Options
    Booing, chanting "You're not fit to wear the shirt" and "We're fucking shite" are such blunt instruments. They demotivate the whole team, even those who had moderately good games. McGillivary was good, I thought Kirk showed some promise and also Famewo had a good game, yet they get hit by this barrage of abuse. Being a supporter comes with some responsibilities, our job is to give encouragement to the team through good times and bad. How anyone can think that this sort of vitriol and abuse will motivate players and management is beyond me.
    I agree that the team is not good enough and we are likely to see many substandard games this season, that the recruitment has not been good enough and much of the criticism of individual players and the teams tactics overall. However I will never go down the road of indiscriminate abuse of the team. I am a supporter and that's what I will continue to do, even when what I see in front of me is pretty dire. Meet up with mates, have a beer or two, discuss individual players and the tactics and the management failings, criticise  all you like, that's certainly what I do every home game, and at the moment it is the highlight of the matchday. But at the end of the game, if the team has played badly, I reflect on the shortcomings, moan about it with my mates, then carry on with my life.
    I didn't boo or sing those songs, but plenty around me in J Block did.  Then the players starting clapping them, what's that all about?  All they did was antagonise an already volatile crowd.

Like you, even if they are dire, I will still turn up every week to support them and cheer them on.

What I don't like to see is a manger when questioned, can't see how bad his team really is and refuses to changes things.

Should have gone to spec savers Nigel 😆
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    What a terrible decision to get rid of Andrew Shinnie. 
    The mistake is not bringing in central midfielders of the required quality, rather than letting Shinnie go.
    True, but I would have kept Shinnie. I thought he done well for us, always created something. 
    He was never going to resign, he wasn't even getting on the bench towards the end of the season. 
    Maybe we should have seen the signs with Adkins then, because in my opinion, Shinnie was our best midfielder until Adkins come in 
  • Options
    I have never booed my team or a player as it achieves nothing, but I can understand the frustrations behind it. 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    What a terrible decision to get rid of Andrew Shinnie. 
    The mistake is not bringing in central midfielders of the required quality, rather than letting Shinnie go.
    True, but I would have kept Shinnie. I thought he done well for us, always created something. 
    I liked him, he’s a good technical footballer, but you can’t keep every player who did alright. We have enough of that in the squad with Matthews, Pearce, Gunter and Watson. You’ll never improve if you keep too many players like that.

One reason for our good run under NA was Gilbey effectively replacing Shinnie. He brought more energy and showed he’s a goal threat.
  • Options
    Booing, chanting "You're not fit to wear the shirt" and "We're fucking shite" are such blunt instruments. They demotivate the whole team, even those who had moderately good games. McGillivary was good, I thought Kirk showed some promise and also Famewo had a good game, yet they get hit by this barrage of abuse. Being a supporter comes with some responsibilities, our job is to give encouragement to the team through good times and bad. How anyone can think that this sort of vitriol and abuse will motivate players and management is beyond me.
    I agree that the team is not good enough and we are likely to see many substandard games this season, that the recruitment has not been good enough and much of the criticism of individual players and the teams tactics overall. However I will never go down the road of indiscriminate abuse of the team. I am a supporter and that's what I will continue to do, even when what I see in front of me is pretty dire. Meet up with mates, have a beer or two, discuss individual players and the tactics and the management failings, criticise  all you like, that's certainly what I do every home game, and at the moment it is the highlight of the matchday. But at the end of the game, if the team has played badly, I reflect on the shortcomings, moan about it with my mates, then carry on with my life.
    I didn't boo or sing those songs, but plenty around me in J Block did.  Then the players starting clapping them, what's that all about?  All they did was antagonise an already volatile crowd.

Like you, even if they are dire, I will still turn up every week to support them and cheer them on.

What I don't like to see is a manger when questioned, can't see how bad his team really is and refuses to changes things.

Should have gone to spec savers Nigel 😆
    Quite sure he can see how poor they are. But what manager slags his players off publicly? Bowyer started to do that and it backfired. 
    What manager slags his owner off publicly? One who’s about to be shown the door I’d guess.
  • Options
    Traditionally, the No.10 shirt is given to the team's playmaker or star attacking midfielder. It is a number not to be worn lightly, and one of the shirt numbers that a player must earn. Has Albi earned it?
  • Options
    What is the point of showing Patrick's winning goal at Wembley when those players have all gone bar Pierce who is now just cover and Purrington who unfortunately has been injured. Showing this on screen a few minutes before kick off doesn't inspire the team and just makes me realize how we have gone backwards in the last 18 months on the field even those we appear to have good people with the right intentions off the field.

The players we have now aren't as good which isn't their fault. It's just counter productive showing  " the good old days" it makes we sad what we have lost especially the top players from the Wembley winning side.
    Agreed. Playoffs aren't cup finals. Our FA Cup in 1947, Watson's winner for Wigan, those are moments of club history, to be celebrated forever

That Bauer goal was a great moment at the time, but was just part of the ups and downs of league football, especially as we went down the following season anyway. If we were still in the Championship, then yes I could perhaps understand replaying it.
  • Options
    Traditionally, the No.10 shirt is given to the team's playmaker or star attacking midfielder. It is a number not to be worn lightly, and one of the shirt numbers that a player must earn. Has Albi earned it?
    He’s tried to . It’s not his fault that he’s not good about for the number 10 role . 
  • Options

Brilliant post Altrincham. 

I think that some, not all, but definitely some get a kick out of the negativity. We all know people who are are their most content (I won’t say happy) when they’re moaning or slagging someone off and from the singing at the end yesterday, I reckon there are plenty like that sitting in that covered end. 

I’m in no way hiding from the fact we have problems down there but, as I mentioned in my earlier post, the team put in a shift yesterday and they don’t deserve the vitriol being sent their way.
  • Options
    It's only recently that the No 10 shirt has been given this mythical quality anyway, as previously when teams played 2 up front, the No 10 was usually just given to the smaller striker playing alongside the bigger No 9

The likes of Lisbie, BWP and Ajose have all had the No 10 shirt for us
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Albie is commited and full of energy (and one of our own) but lacking in experience...he will improve but for the moment - no.  I think the club is putting way too much pressure on him by playing him as a number 10 when he is clearly not ready.
  • Options
    It is  role rather than a number. People understand what the role is in the context of No 10. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    rikofold said:

This in spades.  JFC is a massive gap in this team that hasn't even been attempted to be filled. 
    If the Purrington/left back debacle is anything to go by then I wouldnt put it past them to be thinking that they can just wait  for JFC to get fit again !!
    Couldn't agree more, see my post on the other thread. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Covered end wasn't wrong. We're fucking shit. Never really looked like scoring, don't remember Amos make a single save.

On that note, quality in difference. Amos was quality for them today.
    If Amos didn't have anything to do how can one assess his quality, unless we inspected his teeth ?

I was at the game and Amos didn't have a save to make( I can't remember the shot on target ) but did take crosses cleanly and have a very tidy game.

There was a pigeon in the covered end goal 2nd half as he realized he was safe there.

( Did anyone else notice Polish Pete the Pigeon ?)

• Options
    It's all about the midfield for me.
    Holland's and Stevens were a quality pairing at this level. 

As for Cullen Bielik and Aribo what can I say. 

At present we have Dobson Watson Clare and Morgan. None of these are good enough for a promotion  push.

It's all about a rebuild next summer now as we are going nowhere fast this season. 
    We should have stayed in the boozer.
  • Options
    Apologies for asking but I've been a bit out if it the last few weeks in hospital but finally caught up last night that weve lost four on the spin which shocked me as I thought they were winnable games.

So is it true that the team were booed off or told they were not fit to wear the shirt?

Also will Adkins survive?

Just gobsmacked at what I've seen and wondering if I should watch the highlight of all the games or would it better to watch the Sound of Music? 
  • Options
    I think yesterday was the worst of the four league games , although we nearly nicked a point . Our new keeper kept it to 2-0 and was the only positive.  Huge game on Saturday v the other CAFC .
  • Options
    I think yesterday was the worst of the four league games , although we nearly nicked a point . Our new keeper kept it to 2-0 and was the only positive.  Huge game on Saturday v the other CAFC .
    And yet some have said that yesterday was the best performance so far. 
  • Options
    Apologies for asking but I've been a bit out if it the last few weeks in hospital but finally caught up last night that weve lost four on the spin which shocked me as I thought they were winnable games.

So is it true that the team were booed off or told they were not fit to wear the shirt?

Also will Adkins survive?

Just gobsmacked at what I've seen and wondering if I should watch the highlight of all the games or would it better to watch the Sound of Music? 
    There are no highlights…..