Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton v Wigan — 21/8/2021

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Some people are calling for 4-4-2 because the approach that Adkins has adopted. It appears that Stockley is the focal point of the team and the intent is to get the ball up and around him as soon as possible. The flaw being that when it’s a 60 yard pass up in the air then you have to have someone around him to pick up the pieces. We don’t. 
    On top of that, our midfield appears to only there for defensive duties and to try and nullify the opposition. Sure, that’s fine, but you need to use them offensively as well. Again, We don’t. 
    We bypass them and they’re always 20 yards to far away for Stockley because we can’t transition our players as quick as the ball. So 3 players are now redundant. At least with a strike partner they should be in and around Stockley and we have half a chance of retaining possession in the last third. It’s direct, long ball tactics with the wrong formation. Even if you push DJ and Kirk inside slightly to get closer to Jaydon, we don’t have willing attacking full backs to overlap and create width. 
    I’m no UEFA A badge coach but it appears we are a complete shit show and another season of football under a tactically naive manager.
  • Options
    Some people are calling for 4-4-2 because the approach that Adkins has adopted. It appears that Stockley is the focal point of the team and the intent is to get the ball up and around him as soon as possible. The flaw being that when it’s a 60 yard pass up in the air then you have to have someone around him to pick up the pieces. We don’t. 
    On top of that, our midfield appears to only there for defensive duties and to try and nullify the opposition. Sure, that’s fine, but you need to use them offensively as well. Again, We don’t. 
    We bypass them and they’re always 20 yards to far away for Stockley because we can’t transition our players as quick as the ball. So 3 players are now redundant. At least with a strike partner they should be in and around Stockley and we have half a chance of retaining possession in the last third. It’s direct, long ball tactics with the wrong formation. Even if you push DJ and Kirk inside slightly to get closer to Jaydon, we don’t have willing attacking full backs to overlap and create width. 
    I’m no UEFA A badge coach but it appears we are a complete shit show and another season of football under a tactically naive manager.
    Indeed. There was a monent in the 1st half where inniss it think, pumped a 60 yarder up to Stockley. Obviously it completely bypassed our midfield 3 who just stood and watched, but both DJ and Kirk were literally standing on their respective touchlines! I mean what do you expect Stockley to do? As it goes, I think he lost the header anyway, but that's basic stuff.
  • Options
    Nothing to do with how Morgan played versus Dobson or Watson, but when we switched to 2 up top, it was curious that when we reduced our central midfield from 3 to 2 players, the man sacrificed was the most defensive one. A big gamble, which didn't really work.

It's not as if we were losing at the time either. If the game had finished nil nil, most fans would have gone home grumpy with the performance, but happy with the result.
  • Options
    42% win rate over 550 games managed - he surely should know what he’s doing.
  • Options
    Don’t boo the players or shout your not fit to wear the shirt. From what I can see it’s not their fault - they are trying but it isn’t working. 

Support the team - Blame the Regime. 
  • Options
    You would think so, but I can only judge him on what’s happened this season. It’s not been good enough.
  • Options
    Nothing to do with how Morgan played versus Dobson or Watson, but when we switched to 2 up top, it was curious that when we reduced our central midfield from 3 to 2 players, the man sacrificed was the most defensive one. A big gamble, which didn't really work.

It's not as if we were losing at the time either. If the game had finished nil nil, most fans would have gone home grumpy with the performance, but happy with the result.
    From what I could see Albie was playing up front with Stockley in the second half up until the point of the Dobson substitution. Then he dropped back into midfield and Washington played up front with Stockley. 

I think we played with 2 x central midfielders for most of the second half 
  • Options
    mogodon said:
    Just out of interest, how many players short do people think we are of being a decent side for this division 
    1) Macgillivray
    2) Matthews or Gunter
    3) NEW
    4) NEW DCM
    5) Inniss
    6) Famewo (but need another option to keep them on their toes)
    7) NEW CM
    8) NEW ACM
    9) Kirk
    10) Stockley
    11) NEW WINGER

5 starters plus two or three strong options to push them from the bench.

Clare and Dobson should be squad players along with Watson. Don’t know enough on CBT but will continue to assume a squad option. 
    I said EXACTLY this need for the squad a week ago. How is it WE know what is needed but the club don't? 
    Some one needs to send this to TS
  • Options
    Had a good little spell early second half, but 10/ 20 minutes of good patches every other game isn't enough. 

Watson for all the jokes and looking way past it last season was the best of the midfield 3, that might say more about the others than him though. Looks like we might be seeing him start more often than Adkins planned.

Listening to the post match and the reasoning for taking DJ off was because he thought he couldn't keep up with the pressing game - and this is the issue. Adkins just doesn't have the players he needs to play the way he wants,  there were times when NA just looked frustrated at what was happening, a throw in springs to mind. It's not just a case of getting players in, or even quality players - NA needs to get the specific players he wants and needs or it'll be more 15 good footballing minutes, 75 piss poor minutes.

Will Adkins get the players he needs though....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I hope Ben Amos got a good reception.

Did he?
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Having had time to calm down and reflect on the game, I think for 70 minutes, we didn’t actually play too badly today. Generally we looked to play our way out, and Watson and Dobson had a grip of the middle of the park. But to be fair to Wigan, every time the put the ball in the box they looked like scoring. Our wingers made it to easy for them to cross, and was not tight. They were crossing from pretty deep. RI & AF got beat every time, or would lose their men.. that is a big issue for me. I think we might need to get Pearce back in the team, he might give the odd penalty away, but you know, they won’t get a free header! 
    Adkins for changed it up at the wrong time today, I actually thought it was our best spell of the game when he took Dobson off, then we lost control of the midfield. And we went to lumping it forward and not winning the 2nd ball.
    Sorry Albie, I really wanted you to be successful this season, but until we know best how to play you, you need to come out of the team. He worked hard, but he created zero, and never wins the 2nd ball.. 

Adkins for me is very stubborn, he has his side and tactics in his head and we seem to stick with it, can’t remember him changing very much since he took over.

I would like us to go to playing 3 5 2 but I know we need to get a left back in to play that. But under Bowyer, some of our best performance were when we played 3 at the back.

Big 10 days for the club, hopefully a couple of good young loans in. If not a bloody long hard season!

Good post Dubai.

I thought Dobson * had a solid game, and he should've stayed on. Washington had to come on but for Albie in the 73th minute. 

CBT for DJ was a risk and that back fired as well. 

Confused how the upper North support the team for 88 minutes and then when the well paid Wigan team grab a goal in the 88th minute " we're effing Shite"  and "not fit to wear the shirt'' ringing out after the experience McLean gets a second as his legs are still good.

The guys all tried and didn't deserve that venom. After Charlie Kirk's poor effort, when a couple of yards out all regulars knew what was coming next.

Not sure how Steve Gallen convinces a club in the Championship or Premier to loan a player to a club in 21st position in League 1 unless they are sub standard and are going to be released soon anyway.

Not sure how Steve Gallen convinces a player and his agent to come to Cafc when we are 21st and none of the players can hit a cow's arse with a banjo when the goal posts are in sight.

*Compared to Cullen or Bielik he is well short but the guy did ok in midfield yesterday.
    Spot on post
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I hope Ben Amos got a good reception.

Did he?
    Yeah both before the game, and then at the start of the second half when he took his place in front of goal

He got the "You're shit ahhhhhh" chant at one stage in the 2nd half, which led to him turning and looking at the North Stand in a bemused way, where he then got the good natured chant of: "You should have stayed at the Valley"

No doubt at FT he walked off the pitch thinking: "Thank god I didnt!!!"
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I defy anyone to show me a squad of the past that is worse than this . How have they let it get this bad ? 
    That second season in league one under Parkinson. That was some shit team.
    Yes I agree. Parky's team in that televised game was the lowest football can possibly get
    I’d be interested to compare teams . Anyone know that team ? 

Yes that’s pretty bad but what would we give for Semedo and Jackson in our current midfield? 
    To me this a decent team-Maybe lacking pace 
  • Options
    If you include the last 4 home games of the mini League Champ season, all last season's home matches and the first two League home matches of this season we have won 8 home games out of 29.  Two of these wins were against Hull(already Champions) and Lincoln( already in Play offs)

8 wins out of 29 at home = failure on a massive scale when 25 of those matches are League 1. Lots of defeats in that number I would rather not check.

A reset is needed by all of us plus a stronger mentality by the players, coaches and fans/critics/ a clear vision on how the club can go forward on and off the pitch. 

I'm not interested in scapegoats on or off the pitch, but we are in a massive hole.
    We need to stop digging and falling further down and start the one step at a time climb. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Does anyone honestly think that the plan is to bang it up in the general direction of Stockley and no one bother to try and get anywhere near him?

That that's what they practice in the week and re-enforce at half time and from the touch line? 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Does anyone honestly think that the plan is to bang it up in the general direction of Stockley and no one bother to try and get anywhere near him?

That that's what they practice in the week and re-enforce at half time and from the touch line? 
    What is the plan? Do you know?
    It certainly isn't apparent to me
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    What’s Curbs win rate? Things ain’t what the used to be the game has moved on, mind you I wouldn’t hesitate to have Curbs involved somewhere in the set up.
  • Options
    At the risk of sounding melodramatic, I can't believe how deflated and dispirited I am right now about our football club.
    Feels like the good Samaritan has unexpectedly turned around and smacked me in the mouth.
    Maybe it is a cumulative thing but I don't think I have got the stomach for any more disappointment.
    It is clear that I had unrealistic expectations.
    I truly believed that Tommy was going to fund a recruitment drive that would see us cherry pick some of the best available talent the way we did before CP's promotion season.
    What we have so far seems woefully inadequate and not of sufficient quality.
    I am sceptical we will resolve this in the remaining 10 days
    We have no apparent game plan; no game changing players; no creativity; no chance creation; no goals; no cohesion; no excitement; no fulcrum and no reassuring words from management that have any substance to placate the fans.
    We have a lower league one side without any convincing drive or purpose.
    This is what I am seeing.
    Make it go away please Tommy
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

It's not the same thing though is it. 
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    What’s Curbs win rate? Things ain’t what the used to be the game had moved on, mind you I wouldn’t hesitate to have Curbs involved somewhere in the set up.
    38% over 790 games..
  • Options
    At the risk of sounding melodramatic, I can't believe how deflated and dispirited I am right now about our football club.
    Feels like the good Samaritan has unexpectedly turned around and smacked me in the mouth.
    Maybe it is a cumulative thing but I don't think I have got the stomach for any more disappointment.
    It is clear that I had unrealistic expectations.
    I truly believed that Tommy was going to fund a recruitment drive that would see us cherry pick some of the best available talent the way we did before CP's promotion season.
    What we have so far seems woefully inadequate and not of sufficient quality.
    I am sceptical we will resolve this in the remaining 10 days
    We have no apparent game plan; no game changing players; no creativity; no chance creation; no goals; no cohesion; no excitement; no fulcrum and no reassuring words from management that have any substance to placate the fans.
    We have a lower league one side without any convincing drive or purpose.
    This is what I am seeing.
    Make it go away please Tommy
    Keep the faith mate, Charlton till we die. The law of averages say our fortunes have to change eventually 😉.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    What’s Curbs win rate? Things ain’t what the used to be the game had moved on, mind you I wouldn’t hesitate to have Curbs involved somewhere in the set up.
    38% over 790 games..
    Cheers, how many in the Prem compared to Adkins?
  • Options
    What is the point of showing Patrick's winning goal at Wembley when those players have all gone bar Pierce who is now just cover and Purrington who unfortunately has been injured. Showing this on screen a few minutes before kick off doesn't inspire the team and just makes me realize how we have gone backwards in the last 18 months on the field even those we appear to have good people with the right intentions off the field.

The players we have now aren't as good which isn't their fault. It's just counter productive showing  " the good old days" it makes we sad what we have lost especially the top players from the Wembley winning side.
    Agreed. Playoffs aren't cup finals. Our FA Cup in 1947, Watson's winner for Wigan, those are moments of club history, to be celebrated forever

That Bauer goal was a great moment at the time, but was just part of the ups and downs of league football, especially as we went down the following season anyway. If we were still in the Championship, then yes I could perhaps understand replaying it.
    So only the FA Cup matters really.  The one thing that is like a play off final because  it is a final but you think it doesn't count.
    They're massively different in historical importance. One is to be the best cup team in the country, the other is to be the 3rd best team in the 3rd tier.

And it looks really weird to play such a long clip of the 2019 Final before the match (with commentary), when
    a) the players have nearly all gone
    b) we got relegated the following season, so the playoff win (however great at the time) didn't really mean anything long term

• Options
    YTS1978 said:
    Indeed. There was a monent in the 1st half where inniss it think, pumped a 60 yarder up to Stockley. Obviously it completely bypassed our midfield 3 who just stood and watched, but both DJ and Kirk were literally standing on their respective touchlines! I mean what do you expect Stockley to do? As it goes, I think he lost the header anyway, but that's basic stuff.
    My old dad (who played a bit himself & was once scouted by a League club) has always said that lumping it forward to a big man for him to head down/back to a team mate didn't work most of the time. 

First your target man has to win the ball......difficult when being buffeted by 2 burly defenders.

The knock down has to find the supporting players. Again difficult as it's hard to accurately find them over a range of even 5-10 yards. 

Most times the ball will land into space or to an opposing player. Probably only works 10% of the time.

Football is an easy game. Why are we making it more difficult for ourselves. 
  • Options
    Is there anything to justify why Shockley is captain? He doesn't strike me as Captain material. Inniss ~ absolutely, or Gunter and of course Pearce maybe but Shockley, no. Leave him to concentrate on the job of scoring and let a man lead the team. 

Gunter? Really? That means he’d be a shoe in every week 😯

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

It's not the same thing though is it. 
    Is it not?
    Humour me, what do you think is the plan?