Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton v Wigan — 21/8/2021

Comments

• Options
    Chunes said:
    Stockley is very one dimensional. A top bloke, hard worker, good at what he does, but he lacks that all-round game you probably need from a lone CF. I remember a lot of comments last season saying "He's decent but he makes us worse" and I agreed with that. I was surprised we signed him as I thought Adkins liked teams to keep it on the floor. But given how our other recruitment has gone, I'm not sure we could have done any better. 
    Agreed. I've said it before, but the equivalent would be playing Carl Leaburn as a lone striker, or other similar target men players like Emily Heskey or Niall Quinn, they're players that you'd pair with a sharp goalscorer to form the classic big man/small man partnership. 

A lone forward has to be more mobile, and better on the floor.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Stockley is very one dimensional. A top bloke, hard worker, good at what he does, but he lacks that all-round game you probably need from a lone CF. I remember a lot of comments last season saying "He's decent but he makes us worse" and I agreed with that. I was surprised we signed him as I thought Adkins liked teams to keep it on the floor. But given how our other recruitment has gone, I'm not sure we could have done any better. 
    Agreed. I've said it before, but the equivalent would be playing Carl Leaburn as a lone striker, or other similar target men players like Emily Heskey or Niall Quinn, they're players that you'd pair with a sharp goalscorer to form the classic big man/small man partnership. 

A lone forward has to be more mobile, and better on the floor.

I have said the above so much that I'm glad you and hopefully other can see that. The guy who plays near Stockley doesn't have to be small; 6ft and fast would be a great partnership. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    YTS1978 said:
    Some people are calling for 4-4-2 because the approach that Adkins has adopted. It appears that Stockley is the focal point of the team and the intent is to get the ball up and around him as soon as possible. The flaw being that when it’s a 60 yard pass up in the air then you have to have someone around him to pick up the pieces. We don’t. 
    On top of that, our midfield appears to only there for defensive duties and to try and nullify the opposition. Sure, that’s fine, but you need to use them offensively as well. Again, We don’t. 
    We bypass them and they’re always 20 yards to far away for Stockley because we can’t transition our players as quick as the ball. So 3 players are now redundant. At least with a strike partner they should be in and around Stockley and we have half a chance of retaining possession in the last third. It’s direct, long ball tactics with the wrong formation. Even if you push DJ and Kirk inside slightly to get closer to Jaydon, we don’t have willing attacking full backs to overlap and create width. 
    I’m no UEFA A badge coach but it appears we are a complete shit show and another season of football under a tactically naive manager.
    Indeed. There was a monent in the 1st half where inniss it think, pumped a 60 yarder up to Stockley. Obviously it completely bypassed our midfield 3 who just stood and watched, but both DJ and Kirk were literally standing on their respective touchlines! I mean what do you expect Stockley to do? As it goes, I think he lost the header anyway, but that's basic stuff.
    My old dad (who played a bit himself & was once scouted by a League club) has always said that lumping it forward to a big man for him to head down/back to a team mate didn't work most of the time. 

First your target man has to win the ball......difficult when being buffeted by 2 burly defenders.

The knock down has to find the supporting players. Again difficult as it's hard to accurately find them over a range of even 5-10 yards. 

Most times the ball will land into space or to an opposing player. Probably only works 10% of the time.

Football is an easy game. Why are we making it more difficult for ourselves. 
    I am going to go out on a limb here.
    We spent a lot of money and effort to secure Stockley full-time.
    But he is very limited as a player, compared to say Chuks, or Lyle Taylor, or Ricky Lambert.
    Moreover, I think his presence is very limiting to the team, insofar as he becomes a convenient hoofball outlet.
    Unless we intend to add more quality and variety to our play, he will become all to easy for the opposition to plan for and nullify.
    Do you think we played "hoof ball" last season? 
    As I alluded to, we had more quality and variety last season, courtesy of Chuks, Millar and others so we didn't have to be so one dimensional.
    I'm not setting out to dismiss Stockley, but we need to utilise him better and/or get another striker of quality that has something different to vary things.
    Better still, make better use of DJ and Kirk.
    Maybe they can deliver the quality we need if they are fed in the right areas

So really if you consider Kirk as an reasonable replacement for Millar the problem is more the midfields inability to get the ball to him and DJ.

It's the same 3/4 back 4 as last season, Stockley is the same as last season.  The main difference is the midfield isn't it?

If the defence don't have an available midfielder to pass to, or the don't have any confidence in them to use the ball they are going to get it as far away from the goal as possible and hope it doesn't come straight back, aren't they?

The hit and hope to Stockley isn't a result of a plan or tactics, its a result of the plan and tactics not working. 
    You seem to be looking for an argument where there is none.
    My whole point is, hoofing it up to Stockley cannot possibly be "the plan".
    But rather it is de facto what is happening due to shortcomings in the team.
    My question is, given that Nige has the team he signed off on, what actually is the plan?

My original question was does anyone honestly think it is the plan.  Which you seemed happy to argue about...

If even @addick1959 agrees that it isn't the plan but a result of not being able to implement what ever the plan is I think we both agree it isn't. 
    No I didn't, I merely asked what you thought the plan was.

• Options
    Is there anything to justify why Shockley is captain? He doesn't strike me as Captain material. Inniss ~ absolutely, or Gunter and of course Pearce maybe but Shockley, no. Leave him to concentrate on the job of scoring and let a man lead the team. 

Anything to suggest why he shouldn't be?

Always gives 100% every game, not his fault he gets 60 yard balls pumped up to him for most of the game - Innis won't play every game, Pearce will rarely start and once we finally have a left back then Gunter will be second choice right back - not sure why you call him Shockley either, currently our joint top scorer and has been immense defending set pieces
    A genuine Freudian slip/typo  ~ Stockley. 

"Giving 100%" doesn't make someone captain material. We all know many workers who give 100% but would struggle to motivate a man in a desert with a fresh water spring. Stockley I don't think is a motivating force. But yes I agree he gives 100% and seems like a thoroughly decent bloke. Just not a captain. 
  • Options
    Was glad to hear Curbs on CTV on Sat telling SM that people shouldn't shout their mouths off with how great they are until they have won some football matches. No awards for who and what he was alluding to there. I am beginning to think there must be something-in-the-water at Sparrows Lane because both TS and NA and to a lesser degree SG are all talking up this squad as though they really think they have something special here.Some good solid down to earth Curbs talk is what is needed. Bowen came across really well too. Happy days ....
  • Options
    Stockley did well last season because ... There was NO PRESSURE on him and he had considerably greater service. And buoyed by a good player in Aneke when playing. This season he has the complete opposite to deal with. All the pressure and no service. First things first ~ let's take the pressure off him and give armband to someone else. And then get some quality in to provide him plus one up front. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Obviously terrible judges of football to call us good offensively. 

Don’t care what a couple of random Wigan fans say, my own eyes tell me we are miles off being good enough and will not “turn it around” with the team as it is. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Does anyone honestly think that the plan is to bang it up in the general direction of Stockley and no one bother to try and get anywhere near him?

That that's what they practice in the week and re-enforce at half time and from the touch line? 
    What is the plan? Do you know?
    It certainly isn't apparent to me
    It's not the same thing though is it. 
    Is it not?
    Humour me, what do you think is the plan?
    I don't know what the plan is but I can guarantee it's not hoof it in the general direction of Stockley and all stand and watch.

Humour me do you honestly think that is the plan? 
    I counted. There were 5 long balls to Stockley from defence or from the keeper all match. Plus one clearance with ended up on his bonce.
  • Options
    I made flippant remark about signing Trammere cast off CBT but I agree with curbs he looked hungry and he said it’s his Sirt of signing hungry player looking for a contract. I know he didn’t quite make it back with there LB for the goal but he tried to track back something DJ doesn’t do. 
    Kirk looks like he could as well so both these could work in a 442 then stockley can have his much needed strike partner. 
    DJ doesn’t want to come into the box for some reason there was a couple of times where stockley was shouting at him because he didn’t come in when Kirk had crossed into far post. At Oxford he just got marked out the game because he wouldn’t change position it might not be him it might be Adkins orders to stay wide. 
  • Options
    I do not think we offer enough options when we have possession,look at the best,now I am not comparing us with Man City and the like,but look at the way these teams play,how often do you see Harry Kane just drop deeo for a wall pass,Lukakau the same ,it gives the team a second to move forward as a unit,Charlie wyke did it saturday,I cannot recall Stockley doing this at all,he should be, he is strong enough to hold off the inevitable dig from behind.it really is simple,one rwo,back to the guy who gave you the pass or sideways to an advancing colleague,turn and on you bike to a more dangerous position.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    15%    Play offs (heavily reliant on signing some fit footballers who aren’t just shit) 
    60%     7th-12th
    24%     13th-20th
    1%      The big R 
  • Options
    15%    Play offs (heavily reliant on signing some fit footballers who aren’t just shit) 
    60%     7th-12th
    24%     13th-20th
    1%      The big R 
    It’s the consolidation renaissance of 16/17.  You may remember such wonderful results as the 3-0 away defeat to Swindon in the rain, 1-0 away at Oldham on Valentine’s night, the 0-0 at Rochdale and the 4-3 defeat at Shrewsbury.  As an ardent League One consolidationist, I am happy 
  • Options
    I have had some time since Saturday to gather my thoughts on everything and while like everyone not happy with the last 4 games and current squad I think we are in danger of over reacting and becoming like spoilt kids who demand everything now. 

Saturday we was not great again and similar to the other 3 games this season but I do think we have the basis of a decent squad if recruitment is right in the next week or so and we add 6-7 players in areas that most have already said is required. 

I think the strategy is clear sign and contract young hungry players like Kirk, DJ, Dobson, Famewo and Clare. Look to progress these players and maybe cash in and re-invest and build, similar to Curbs 90's. I am actually fully on board with this and happy with that strategy so I feel i have to give patience top this process. 

The issues at present are that we are still short this could hopefully be fixed in the next week or so and the messages of "blowing the league" and a like have hyped everyone up myself including to thinking it will be easy and like 2011 which if we are realistic was very rare that it clicks that soon. I think this is a longer term project than TS and us Fans thought. 

In TS i think we have someone who cares is not a chancer and will be determined to make a success of Charlton, after the last 10 years I would snap your hand of for that, I am hopeful TS will learn from mistakes and think an experienced CEO would be a step in the right direction.

A sensible post, but I can't see any world in which we sign 6 or 7 players in the next week. Will likely be 2 maximum on deadline day. 
  • Options
    I can see 3-4 coming in ,maybe late in the day,if that does not happen I will start to worry.I do thin k we should be a bit more patient with the players who are in the team at the moment.Albie Morgan gets a lot of stick,but is it justified,he has been given a responsibility which may or may not be beyond him.The management team see Albie in training every day and clearly see something there which just needs to be transferred to the pitch,probably the same with others.Confidence is everything,no different to the sunday morning golfer who sinks every six footer in practise then ballses it up when it matters.Dobson is another one,he does not stop running,but does get over enthusiastic and makes mistakes.We need a 28-30 year old on the pitch who has been there and done it at this level.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I have had some time since Saturday to gather my thoughts on everything and while like everyone not happy with the last 4 games and current squad I think we are in danger of over reacting and becoming like spoilt kids who demand everything now. 

Saturday we was not great again and similar to the other 3 games this season but I do think we have the basis of a decent squad if recruitment is right in the next week or so and we add 6-7 players in areas that most have already said is required. 

I think the strategy is clear sign and contract young hungry players like Kirk, DJ, Dobson, Famewo and Clare. Look to progress these players and maybe cash in and re-invest and build, similar to Curbs 90's. I am actually fully on board with this and happy with that strategy so I feel i have to give patience to this process. 

The issues at present are that we are still short this could hopefully be fixed in the next week or so and the messages of "blowing the league" and a like have hyped everyone up myself including to thinking it will be easy and like 2011 which if we are realistic was very rare that it clicks that soon. I think this is a longer term project than TS and us Fans thought. 

In TS i think we have someone who cares is not a chancer and will be determined to make a success of Charlton, after the last 10 years I would snap your hand of for that, I am hopeful TS will learn from mistakes and think an experienced CEO would be a step in the right direction.

I agree with most of that.  I fully expect us still to bring in at least 4.  We have 4 loan spots still available and we would be foolish not to use them.

Dozens of out of contract goal keepers who could sit on our bench.  No rush there.

My fear is the budget didn't include a fee to replace Aneke with nor the wages to cover JFC and Gilbey.  I don't think the budget has been reduced, I think it's been spread more thinly than anticipated. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

I think the strategy is clear sign and contract young hungry players like Kirk, DJ, Dobson, Famewo and Clare. Look to progress these players and maybe cash in and re-invest and build, similar to Curbs 90's. I am actually fully on board with this and happy with that strategy so I feel i have to give patience to this process. 

I agree with most of that.  I fully expect us still to bring in at least 4.  We have 4 loan spots still available and we would be foolish not to use them.

Dozens of out of contract goal keepers who could sit on our bench.  No rush there.

My fear is the budget didn't include a fee to replace Aneke with nor the wages to cover JFC and Gilbey.  I don't think the budget has been reduced, I think it's been spread more thinly than anticipated. 

Good point, plus maybe over confidence in Morgan's ability to step up as the 10. 
  • Options
    I think we will see a better Charlie Kirk once we team him up with a left footed LB.
    Both him and Gunter were too similar on Saturday in terms of cutting inside, barely any overlaps- they were often cutting back into space the other was occupying.
    Kirk doesn't seem to the be the conventional winger in regards to beating a man, pacey- rather wants ball to feet at all times, and will deliver quality in regards to passes/crosses/shooting.
    If we had Wigan's LB on Saturday, we may possibly have seen a different result (factoring in our keeper's form & their reluctance to put their chances away)
  • Options
    Centre mid playmaker and a strike partner for stockley - both need to be top draw for league 1 - then the left back, cb and s few others on loan - anything less and u can write another season off 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Centre mid playmaker and a strike partner for stockley - both need to be top draw for league 1 - then the left back, cb and s few others on loan - anything less and u can write another season off 
    Do you honestly think we are not going to play 433?

We need an alternative not a partner. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:

As others have said, stockley is a target man, not a loan striker so unless there is a radical change in how we implement the 433, it will have to be scrapped with the personnel we have 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:

As others have said, stockley is a target man, not a loan striker so unless there is a radical change in how we implement the 433, it will have to be scrapped with the personnel we have 
    I don't necessarily disagree but it worked last season and we don't have the midfield to play 442 nor the full backs to play 352.

You can play any formation you like but with the midfielders we currently have what ever it is won't work. 

I am not sure that 433 is purely Adkins choice either BTW I suspect the whole club will be playing it this season. 
  • Options
    If we are staying with our current formation, which I suspect is likely, surely we need another striker in the Stockley mould as a reserve or we are in trouble if he gets injured. Also, it can give us a plan B if required in games. They don't have to be as good as Stockley but decent. It probably has to be a youngish player who doesn't mind warming the bench.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:

I don't necessarily disagree but it worked last season and we don't have the midfield to play 442 nor the full backs to play 352.

You can play any formation you like but with the midfielders we currently have what ever it is won't work. 

I am not sure that 433 is purely Adkins choice either BTW I suspect the whole club will be playing it this season. 
    Never mind the midfield, if anything it's the attacking full backs that we miss more.

I thought Kirk was a bit predictable on Saturday, as his first thought was to cut inside. With the lack of an attacking  LB outside him, that made it easy for their defence, as they knew there was no danger from the overlap. They could double up on Kirk safely.

433 sides rely on full backs for their width, as you need your wingers inside the box to provide a goal threat, to stop the centre forward being isolated
  • Options
    I was told Gallen is very indecisive but that was from somebody who may have an agenda
  • Options
    What is the point of showing Patrick's winning goal at Wembley when those players have all gone bar Pierce who is now just cover and Purrington who unfortunately has been injured. Showing this on screen a few minutes before kick off doesn't inspire the team and just makes me realize how we have gone backwards in the last 18 months on the field even those we appear to have good people with the right intentions off the field.

The players we have now aren't as good which isn't their fault. It's just counter productive showing  " the good old days" it makes we sad what we have lost especially the top players from the Wembley winning side.
    Agreed. Playoffs aren't cup finals. Our FA Cup in 1947, Watson's winner for Wigan, those are moments of club history, to be celebrated forever

That Bauer goal was a great moment at the time, but was just part of the ups and downs of league football, especially as we went down the following season anyway. If we were still in the Championship, then yes I could perhaps understand replaying it.
    So only the FA Cup matters really.  The one thing that is like a play off final because  it is a final but you think it doesn't count.
    They're massively different in historical importance. One is to be the best cup team in the country, the other is to be the 3rd best team in the 3rd tier.

And it looks really weird to play such a long clip of the 2019 Final before the match (with commentary), when
    a) the players have nearly all gone
    b) we got relegated the following season, so the playoff win (however great at the time) didn't really mean anything long term

My dad went to the '47 final and the '98 final. He said the '98 game was far more thrilling to watch. Indeed it is in the best 4 games seen at Wembley behind the '66 World Cup final, 6-3 Hungarian drubbing and the '53 Matthews Blackpool final. 

The '19 game was also an exciting tense dramatic affair so you canstick your sad view on it in the 'crevis of your mind' if you see what I mean . The '98 final was a game I shared with my dad and kids. We went down after one season but your remarks won't remove a great memory for thousands of addicjs, nor the 2019 affair either. 
    You've completely missed my point
    No I haven't.  I simply completely disagree because as you know any event is the memory of an individual.  I don't  know many who went to 1947 and 1998 games but I will go with what my dad said , not some bloke who thinks only his view is right. Park your view in the crevice. 
    You HAVE missed my point. I never knocked the playoff games, there were 2 of the best days of my life. 1998 was the best game I ever saw live

I said they had less long term importance than the FA Cup win. Major trophies are there forever, whereas playoff and promotion success are more short term. That 2019 playoff goal from Bauer was a great moment at the time, but 2 years on having been relegated straight away and losing all the players, surely not something to play before a match?
  • Options
    I'm a bit late to this particular party/wake but, for what it's worth, here are my thoughts on Saturday:

What a waste of a bloody day. Roads were awful pretty much everywhere - it took four hours to drive down and three-and-a-half hours to drive back home ... and the time in between journeys wasn't much cop either.

The football was dire, from us anyway. Prior to Saturday I'd only seen the Chef Wendy game live and the MK match on Charlton TV but that was by far the worst performance I'd seen for some time. Clueless doesn't cover it.

There is no movement from this team, no rushing from the back/midfield to support any attacking movements. An over-60s walking football team is livelier than our lot.

Albie cannot play in that position again. If he's going to be in the team he has to be deeper-lying so that he has the whole pitch in front of him. As a No 10/CAM/CHF (whatever you want to call that position) he's too slow, too indecisive, and doesn't seem capable of making a Bowyer-esque run into the box to get onto a pass or take defenders on to have a shot at goal. If anything, he seems to be the handbrake on this team.

What has happened to our defence? Last year the back four were, on the whole, quite sound which is why the oppo tended to let fly from long-range so often (after they'd walked through our non-existent midfield). This year though they seem to be a disaster waiting to happen. I hadn't been impressed with McGilly in the two matches I'd seen but on Saturday he was the difference between a demoralising defeat and an absolute destroyation.

Normally you'd like to see the manager change the game by making substitutions. That certainly happened this week ... by handing the midfield to Wigan and hence the game. It may not have a Curbs-style back-to-basics nought-nought performance but I thought that we may just be able to fluke a draw going into the last few minutes. In the end our lack of solid midfield and defence contributed to more poor goals conceded.

The second half summed up our goal threat: there was a lone pigeon wandering about the Cupboard End half the pitch for a large chunk of the second 45. It was in no danger whatsoever and eventually made itself comfortable in the safest place in the stadium: the middle of the Wigan goal. 

Were there any positives from Saturday? Not many ... and they weren't on the pitch ones.

First, it was good to see the group of people on the back row of the Cupboard End Top Shelf across the aisle from my seat. I normally say hello to the chap who sits on the end of that group and they were back on Saturday, first time I'd seen him for 18 months or so.

Secondly, at half time I bumped into one of my old Phoenix cricket club pals. That was the first time I'd seen him for a number of years, which was nice. Good to see you again Bomber!

Oh well, onwards and downwards. Back again for more disappointment on Saturday ...
  • Options
    I can see 3-4 coming in ,maybe late in the day,if that does not happen I will start to worry.I do thin k we should be a bit more patient with the players who are in the team at the moment.Albie Morgan gets a lot of stick,but is it justified,he has been given a responsibility which may or may not be beyond him.The management team see Albie in training every day and clearly see something there which just needs to be transferred to the pitch,probably the same with others.Confidence is everything,no different to the sunday morning golfer who sinks every six footer in practise then ballses it up when it matters.Dobson is another one,he does not stop running,but does get over enthusiastic and makes mistakes.We need a 28-30 year old on the pitch who has been there and done it at this level.
    Albie may wonderful in training, but he’s been shit in the games that count.( maybe shit is harsh, just not very good).