Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton v Wigan — 21/8/2021

Comments

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Does anyone honestly think that the plan is to bang it up in the general direction of Stockley and no one bother to try and get anywhere near him?

That that's what they practice in the week and re-enforce at half time and from the touch line? 
    What is the plan? Do you know?
    It certainly isn't apparent to me
    It's not the same thing though is it. 
    Is it not?
    Humour me, what do you think is the plan?
    I don't know what the plan is but I can guarantee it's not hoof it in the general direction of Stockley and all stand and watch.

Humour me do you honestly think that is the plan? 
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:
    Some people are calling for 4-4-2 because the approach that Adkins has adopted. It appears that Stockley is the focal point of the team and the intent is to get the ball up and around him as soon as possible. The flaw being that when it’s a 60 yard pass up in the air then you have to have someone around him to pick up the pieces. We don’t. 
    On top of that, our midfield appears to only there for defensive duties and to try and nullify the opposition. Sure, that’s fine, but you need to use them offensively as well. Again, We don’t. 
    We bypass them and they’re always 20 yards to far away for Stockley because we can’t transition our players as quick as the ball. So 3 players are now redundant. At least with a strike partner they should be in and around Stockley and we have half a chance of retaining possession in the last third. It’s direct, long ball tactics with the wrong formation. Even if you push DJ and Kirk inside slightly to get closer to Jaydon, we don’t have willing attacking full backs to overlap and create width. 
    I’m no UEFA A badge coach but it appears we are a complete shit show and another season of football under a tactically naive manager.
    Indeed. There was a monent in the 1st half where inniss it think, pumped a 60 yarder up to Stockley. Obviously it completely bypassed our midfield 3 who just stood and watched, but both DJ and Kirk were literally standing on their respective touchlines! I mean what do you expect Stockley to do? As it goes, I think he lost the header anyway, but that's basic stuff.
    My old dad (who played a bit himself & was once scouted by a League club) has always said that lumping it forward to a big man for him to head down/back to a team mate didn't work most of the time. 

First your target man has to win the ball......difficult when being buffeted by 2 burly defenders.

The knock down has to find the supporting players. Again difficult as it's hard to accurately find them over a range of even 5-10 yards. 

Most times the ball will land into space or to an opposing player. Probably only works 10% of the time.

Football is an easy game. Why are we making it more difficult for ourselves. 
    I am going to go out on a limb here.
    We spent a lot of money and effort to secure Stockley full-time.
    But he is very limited as a player, compared to say Chuks, or Lyle Taylor, or Ricky Lambert.
    Moreover, I think his presence is very limiting to the team, insofar as he becomes a convenient hoofball outlet.
    Unless we intend to add more quality and variety to our play, he will become all to easy for the opposition to plan for and nullify.
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:
    Some people are calling for 4-4-2 because the approach that Adkins has adopted. It appears that Stockley is the focal point of the team and the intent is to get the ball up and around him as soon as possible. The flaw being that when it’s a 60 yard pass up in the air then you have to have someone around him to pick up the pieces. We don’t. 
    On top of that, our midfield appears to only there for defensive duties and to try and nullify the opposition. Sure, that’s fine, but you need to use them offensively as well. Again, We don’t. 
    We bypass them and they’re always 20 yards to far away for Stockley because we can’t transition our players as quick as the ball. So 3 players are now redundant. At least with a strike partner they should be in and around Stockley and we have half a chance of retaining possession in the last third. It’s direct, long ball tactics with the wrong formation. Even if you push DJ and Kirk inside slightly to get closer to Jaydon, we don’t have willing attacking full backs to overlap and create width. 
    I’m no UEFA A badge coach but it appears we are a complete shit show and another season of football under a tactically naive manager.
    Indeed. There was a monent in the 1st half where inniss it think, pumped a 60 yarder up to Stockley. Obviously it completely bypassed our midfield 3 who just stood and watched, but both DJ and Kirk were literally standing on their respective touchlines! I mean what do you expect Stockley to do? As it goes, I think he lost the header anyway, but that's basic stuff.
    My old dad (who played a bit himself & was once scouted by a League club) has always said that lumping it forward to a big man for him to head down/back to a team mate didn't work most of the time. 

First your target man has to win the ball......difficult when being buffeted by 2 burly defenders.

The knock down has to find the supporting players. Again difficult as it's hard to accurately find them over a range of even 5-10 yards. 

Most times the ball will land into space or to an opposing player. Probably only works 10% of the time.

But he is very limited as a player, compared to say Chuks, or Lyle Taylor, or Ricky Lambert.
    Moreover, I think his presence is very limiting to the team, insofar as he becomes a convenient hoofball outlet.
    Unless we intend to add more quality and variety to our play, he will become all to easy for the opposition to plan for and nullify.
    Wigan worked it out ,they just put cousins in front of him,virtually put him out of the game.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Stockley is very one dimensional. A top bloke, hard worker, good at what he does, but he lacks that all-round game you probably need from a lone CF. I remember a lot of comments last season saying "He's decent but he makes us worse" and I agreed with that. I was surprised we signed him as I thought Adkins liked teams to keep it on the floor. But given how our other recruitment has gone, I'm not sure we could have done any better. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Btw Wigan looked decent. Think Wyke is better than a lot give him credit for (mainly Sunderland fans) and Will Keane looked a good player. As did James McClean - I know a lot of people don't like him but he bossed it when he came on.

Word for Ben Amos taking the banter from the Covered End well too - can't believe we didn't test him at all.
    I wasn't hopeful of testing him. As for criticism of Golfie or any of us who were calling this before the season started, we all want Charlton to win. We say what we do because that is how we see it and criticism and ridicule is only valid if we are proven wrong. I said there were no goals in the team and amazingly I was right. But it isn't insightful football knowledge on my part, you can wiki our team and see it for yourself. Add up the games and average out the goals.
    I agree with you and Golfie and others, the team as it stands has proved to not be good enough. 

Everyone could look at the numbers and see how players had performed in the past but that’s not always the best indicator of future performance. 

I was willing to wait a few games to see how we got on before sticking the boot in and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that approach.

Well done on calling it right re: goal threat before this season started. What I will say to that is that many of the same people were saying the same stuff last summer and we turned out to be one of the best goalscoring teams.
    & we haven't replaced a 15 goal striker
    & like my post says, people were saying the exact same thing last year, even down to your response here.

“Oh no we haven’t replaced Lyle Taylor, who’s going to step up?”

Chuks did, after being famously dubbed “one goal Chuks” by one poster last summer.
    The difference being we had Chuks to step up, who's going to do it this year ?
    CBT had his chance for glory. Had that gone in…..

but it didn’t. 
  • Options
    If Kirk's miss had hit the pigeon and gone in, the pigeon would be our joint top scorer!
    Pigeon’s been signed by Ipswich. Just to spite us. 
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:

Do you think we played "hoof ball" last season? 
  • Options
    The reason I was interested in Cousins for Cafc is he can play CB, sitting midfielder or even RB in an emergency.( He started as a CB before being converted to Midfield by Chris Powell I believe) 
    League 1 will be a stroll for Cousins now he has matured and doesn't have to pass the ball when he is running fast or against the quality midfielders that are at most Championship clubs ( compared to League1)
    He was never as good as some suggested but why wouldn't he have been on our radar but fell into the category of the Wigan players who wages we couldn't match according to Adkins after he left Stoke.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stockley can play with the ball at his feet, just great in the air. He's got a good touch and good hold up play, as others have said it's not his fault the plan a lot of time just seems to be to knock it long and hope he can get on the end of it
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I said before the season started that Stockley is a slightly improved version of Leon Clarke. After watching the last few games I stand by that assessment.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    The way you'll get the best out of Stockley is to get crosses in from close to the byline that he can attack. To do that your wide men have to be comfortable crossing on the run.....or at least with their "good" foot. One of the reasons why we are currently so toothless in attack is that Gunter cant cross with his left, so he has to stop, cut back into his right & then cross. This then gives defenders time to get into position.....and are invariably by then have their back to goal & easy to head away. Defenders hate having to defend when facing their goal. 

I am hoping that now we have Kirk crosses will be delivered at pace.....and even along the floor at times.

It ain't rocket science. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    YTS1978 said:

As I alluded to, we had more quality and variety last season, courtesy of Chuks, Millar and others so we didn't have to be so one dimensional.
    I'm not setting out to dismiss Stockley, but we need to utilise him better and/or get another striker of quality that has something different to vary things.
    Better still, make better use of DJ and Kirk.
    Maybe they can deliver the quality we need if they are fed in the right areas

• Options
    The way you'll get the best out of Stockley is to get crosses in from close to the byline that he can attack. To do that your wide men have to be comfortable crossing on the run.....or at least with their "good" foot. One of the reasons why we are currently so toothless in attack is that Gunter cant cross with his left, so he has to stop, cut back into his right & then cross. This then gives defenders time to get into position.....and are invariably by then have their back to goal & easy to head away. Defenders hate having to defend when facing their goal. 

I am hoping that now we have Kirk crosses will be delivered at pace.....and even along the floor at times.

It ain't rocket science. 
    He did one of those v Wigan (or was it MK?). No one on the end of it, but knowing he can do that might encourage people to get in the box more. 
  • Options

It ain't rocket science. 
    Thats where I hope Ronnie will benefit if he ever comes back into the fold

Stick it low into the box, just out of reach of the Goalkeepers... Defenders will be more worried about kicking it than heading it as they'll be outside their comfort zone - Seem to remember both Inniss and Famewo shanking low crosses clear yesterday.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    YTS1978 said:

As I alluded to, we had more quality and variety last season, courtesy of Chuks, Millar and others so we didn't have to be so one dimensional.
    I'm not setting out to dismiss Stockley, but we need to utilise him better and/or get another striker of quality that has something different to vary things.

So really if you consider Kirk as an reasonable replacement for Millar the problem is more the midfields inability to get the ball to him and DJ.

It's the same 3/4 back 4 as last season, Stockley is the same as last season.  The main difference is the midfield isn't it?

If the defence don't have an available midfielder to pass to, or the don't have any confidence in them to use the ball they are going to get it as far away from the goal as possible and hope it doesn't come straight back, aren't they?

The hit and hope to Stockley isn't a result of a plan or tactics, its a result of the plan and tactics not working. 
  • Options
    If Cousins did, as people say, get put in front of Stockley to nullify him then it hardly takes a genius to work out that we should have a spare man in midfield who will be free to receive the ball and take it forward!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    YTS1978 said:

So really if you consider Kirk as an reasonable replacement for Millar the problem is more the midfields inability to get the ball to him and DJ.

It's the same 3/4 back 4 as last season, Stockley is the same as last season.  The main difference is the midfield isn't it?

If the defence don't have an available midfielder to pass to, or the don't have any confidence in them to use the ball they are going to get it as far away from the goal as possible and hope it doesn't come straight back, aren't they?

The hit and hope to Stockley isn't a result of a plan or tactics, its a result of the plan and tactics not working. 
    You seem to be looking for an argument where there is none.
    My whole point is, hoofing it up to Stockley cannot possibly be "the plan".
    But rather it is de facto what is happening due to shortcomings in the team.
    My question is, given that Nige has the team he signed off on, what actually is the plan?

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    YTS1978 said:

You seem to be looking for an argument where there is none.
    My whole point is, hoofing it up to Stockley cannot possibly be "the plan".
    But rather it is de facto what is happening due to shortcomings in the team.
    My question is, given that Nige has the team he signed off on, what actually is the plan?

My original question was does anyone honestly think it is the plan.  Which you seemed happy to argue about...

If even @addick1959 agrees that it isn't the plan but a result of not being able to implement what ever the plan is I think we both agree it isn't. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Quite nice to see as saw him replying to another tweet which I thought sounded like a PR person had written it for him (Bit like what Cafc43v3r says above) - So good to see he's not shying away either with these replies
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    we won’t see see JFC at last seasons levels so write home off. He’ll be back in Jan / Feb and will take a couple months to back to sharpness.

he needs to be discounted for this season and anything above that is a bonus 
    Finally someone talking sense about the ( non ) return of JFC.
  • Options
    What is the point of showing Patrick's winning goal at Wembley when those players have all gone bar Pierce who is now just cover and Purrington who unfortunately has been injured. Showing this on screen a few minutes before kick off doesn't inspire the team and just makes me realize how we have gone backwards in the last 18 months on the field even those we appear to have good people with the right intentions off the field.

The players we have now aren't as good which isn't their fault. It's just counter productive showing  " the good old days" it makes we sad what we have lost especially the top players from the Wembley winning side.
    Agreed. Playoffs aren't cup finals. Our FA Cup in 1947, Watson's winner for Wigan, those are moments of club history, to be celebrated forever

That Bauer goal was a great moment at the time, but was just part of the ups and downs of league football, especially as we went down the following season anyway. If we were still in the Championship, then yes I could perhaps understand replaying it.
    So only the FA Cup matters really.  The one thing that is like a play off final because  it is a final but you think it doesn't count.
    They're massively different in historical importance. One is to be the best cup team in the country, the other is to be the 3rd best team in the 3rd tier.

And it looks really weird to play such a long clip of the 2019 Final before the match (with commentary), when
    a) the players have nearly all gone
    b) we got relegated the following season, so the playoff win (however great at the time) didn't really mean anything long term

My dad went to the '47 final and the '98 final. He said the '98 game was far more thrilling to watch. Indeed it is in the best 4 games seen at Wembley behind the '66 World Cup final, 6-3 Hungarian drubbing and the '53 Matthews Blackpool final. 

The '19 game was also an exciting tense dramatic affair so you canstick your sad view on it in the 'crevis of your mind' if you see what I mean . The '98 final was a game I shared with my dad and kids. We went down after one season but your remarks won't remove a great memory for thousands of addicjs, nor the 2019 affair either. 
    You've completely missed my point