Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton v Wigan — 21/8/2021

Comments

• Options
    Apologies for asking but I've been a bit out if it the last few weeks in hospital but finally caught up last night that weve lost four on the spin which shocked me as I thought they were winnable games.

So is it true that the team were booed off or told they were not fit to wear the shirt?

Also will Adkins survive?

Just gobsmacked at what I've seen and wondering if I should watch the highlight of all the games or would it better to watch the Sound of Music? 
    There are no highlights…..
    Unless Paulie starts another thread. 
  • Options
    I have not had a season ticket since RD took over [having held one from 1980, through all the dark period up to the Curbs era], but did some away games when I could. 

I was 50:50 to buy one this season, but decided against it when it became clear last month that TS would not invest in the squad [or could not invest in the squad].  I did go to the Sheff Wed game and my suspicions were confirmed, even though we got a point. I also watched the stream of the MK Dons game, during which we clearly had no plan B - lump up to Stockley and not much else - I will not repeat earlier points about Albie, no left back and so on. 

Within the context of the dross we have suffered for years at our club, I am not surprised that fans are booing after only 2 games. They are much more loyal than most [and more than I am prepared to be] and based on what I have read about yesterday's game, it looks like we were lucky to get away with 0-2.

Fans will stop going to games if TS does not commit to investment, or be honest with the fans if he is unable to invest.

All the nonsense about last minute loans, 5 year plans has to stop. Either invest properly and give Atkins as chance or carry on as you are TS, and next season you will be the proud owner of a 4th tier club. It has happened to others and it will happen to us if changes are not made soon. As I posted elsewhere, there is no point in having a "structure" in place with a half decent manager if all you have is a poor team, literally not fit to wear that shirt. 

This feels like a nicer version of Roland in charge. Good intent, nice guy, but a useless owner up to this point.

It's going to get a lot more toxic in the next few weeks and fans patience is also about to snap based on the dross that is being served up so far.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    I'm trying to keep some perspective. 3 defeats on the bounce over Christmas and we're maybe a bit less despondent....I don't know.

What is clear with hindsight is that the League 1 transfer window is like a Black Friday sale and you have to get  in quick to get what you want. The 4/5 key signings that we need simply aren't available anymore. The recruitment team were just too slow through the doors. Quite a few of us said it at the time, but that's by the by now.

Full-backs are the problem with this system (which NA has pretty much confirmed he's not going to change). We only looked dangerous on the rare occasions that the full-backs supported the wingers. And even then they don't have the ability to put a decent ball into the box. (Who still thinks Maatsen was "dog shit of a player"?)

The other massive miss is Innis's threat at set pieces has gone. Probably a combination of the ball in and that he's been sussed out by opposition players/managers. Like Stockley now too, he's getting penalised for fouling more.

Still congratualtions to Wigan on their clean sheet win. And at least Kirk looked good jogging down the line at times.
  • Options
    Booing, chanting "You're not fit to wear the shirt" and "We're fucking shite" are such blunt instruments. They demotivate the whole team, even those who had moderately good games. McGillivary was good, I thought Kirk showed some promise and also Famewo had a good game, yet they get hit by this barrage of abuse. Being a supporter comes with some responsibilities, our job is to give encouragement to the team through good times and bad. How anyone can think that this sort of vitriol and abuse will motivate players and management is beyond me.
    I agree that the team is not good enough and we are likely to see many substandard games this season, that the recruitment has not been good enough and much of the criticism of individual players and the teams tactics overall. However I will never go down the road of indiscriminate abuse of the team. I am a supporter and that's what I will continue to do, even when what I see in front of me is pretty dire. Meet up with mates, have a beer or two, discuss individual players and the tactics and the management failings, criticise  all you like, that's certainly what I do every home game, and at the moment it is the highlight of the matchday. But at the end of the game, if the team has played badly, I reflect on the shortcomings, moan about it with my mates, then carry on with my life.
    Agree with this I stayed and clapped them off at the end. 

They put the effort in the problem is they aren't good enough. If they hadn’t tried then they would have deserved to be booed. They are trying but there is no one capable of putting their foot on the ball and creating chances. 

I have been very disappointed with the recruitment and TS focus to be honest. It beginning to feel like the emperors new clothes…….

• Options
    Booing, chanting "You're not fit to wear the shirt" and "We're fucking shite" are such blunt instruments. They demotivate the whole team, even those who had moderately good games. McGillivary was good, I thought Kirk showed some promise and also Famewo had a good game, yet they get hit by this barrage of abuse. Being a supporter comes with some responsibilities, our job is to give encouragement to the team through good times and bad. How anyone can think that this sort of vitriol and abuse will motivate players and management is beyond me.
    I agree that the team is not good enough and we are likely to see many substandard games this season, that the recruitment has not been good enough and much of the criticism of individual players and the teams tactics overall. However I will never go down the road of indiscriminate abuse of the team. I am a supporter and that's what I will continue to do, even when what I see in front of me is pretty dire. Meet up with mates, have a beer or two, discuss individual players and the tactics and the management failings, criticise  all you like, that's certainly what I do every home game, and at the moment it is the highlight of the matchday. But at the end of the game, if the team has played badly, I reflect on the shortcomings, moan about it with my mates, then carry on with my life.
    I didn't boo or sing those songs, but plenty around me in J Block did.  Then the players starting clapping them, what's that all about?  All they did was antagonise an already volatile crowd.

Like you, even if they are dire, I will still turn up every week to support them and cheer them on.

What I don't like to see is a manger when questioned, can't see how bad his team really is and refuses to changes things.

Should have gone to spec savers Nigel 😆
    Plenty on here didn’t like Bow telling it like it was and calling players out though.
    Who does he need to call out? 

His system doesn't work, he just needs to change it up a bit
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:
    I'm trying to keep some perspective. 3 defeats on the bounce over Christmas and we're maybe a bit less despondent....I don't know.

What is clear with hindsight is that the League 1 transfer window is like a Black Friday sale and you have to get  in quick to get what you want. The 4/5 key signings that we need simply aren't available anymore. The recruitment team were just too slow through the doors. Quite a few of us said it at the time, but that's by the by now.

Full-backs are the problem with this system (which NA has pretty much confirmed he's not going to change). We only looked dangerous on the rare occasions that the full-backs supported the wingers. And even then they don't have the ability to put a decent ball into the box. (Who still thinks Maatsen was "dog shit of a player"?)

The other massive miss is Innis's threat at set pieces has gone. Probably a combination of the ball in and that he's been sussed out by opposition players/managers. Like Stockley now too, he's getting penalised for fouling more.

Still congratualtions to Wigan on their clean sheet win. And at least Kirk looked good jogging down the line at times.
    Well said and in the right spirit, unlike my own comments.

I would say that one has to question why TS has Roddy, Mumford and Gallen if between the 3 of them, we cannot sign a left back, half decent midfielders and another striker??

I think that TS and his senior team/advisors thought they could blag this division and that is why no effort was made to sign any decent players OR it may be that TS has no intention [or ability] to spend the money required.

Without a TEAM, there is no point in having a "structure", "plan" or all of the other football buzzwords we all like to use.

This looks like gross incompetence rather than the spitefulness of the RD era, but the outcome is still the same.
  • Options
    MattF said:
    Very hard to watch that
    Matthews totally lost the goal scorer
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    MattF said:
    Very hard to watch that
    Matthews totally lost the goal scorer
    Is that Morgan losing the ball as well?

Matthews can clearly see the danger but he's not sprinting to get back. I'd be surprised if he was tired because he barely got past the halfway line all game. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    BigDiddy said:
    I have not had a season ticket since RD took over [having held one from 1980, through all the dark period up to the Curbs era], but did some away games when I could. 

I was 50:50 to buy one this season, but decided against it when it became clear last month that TS would not invest in the squad [or could not invest in the squad].  I did go to the Sheff Wed game and my suspicions were confirmed, even though we got a point. I also watched the stream of the MK Dons game, during which we clearly had no plan B - lump up to Stockley and not much else - I will not repeat earlier points about Albie, no left back and so on. 

Within the context of the dross we have suffered for years at our club, I am not surprised that fans are booing after only 2 games. They are much more loyal than most [and more than I am prepared to be] and based on what I have read about yesterday's game, it looks like we were lucky to get away with 0-2.

Fans will stop going to games if TS does not commit to investment, or be honest with the fans if he is unable to invest.

All the nonsense about last minute loans, 5 year plans has to stop. Either invest properly and give Atkins as chance or carry on as you are TS, and next season you will be the proud owner of a 4th tier club. It has happened to others and it will happen to us if changes are not made soon. As I posted elsewhere, there is no point in having a "structure" in place with a half decent manager if all you have is a poor team, literally not fit to wear that shirt. 

This feels like a nicer version of Roland in charge. Good intent, nice guy, but a useless owner up to this point.

It's going to get a lot more toxic in the next few weeks and fans patience is also about to snap based on the dross that is being served up so far.

I think we are on a similar page. I have done my time in terms of being patronised with crap. I don't think the team is that broken that a few signings that address the issues wouldn't fix. However, apart from some notable exceptions, Charlton has been run stupidly for much of the time I have supported them.

When I started supporting them, they had one of the best attacks in Division 2 but one of the worst defences. There is usually and reliably a but with us. Some things are more important than others of course but a club on the up tends to set itself high standards in every aspect of what it does. That is the challenge and whilst I like Sandgaard and haven't given up on him, I question some of the comments he has made to build expectations and that guitar cameo with the squad we had was beyond embarrassing.

To me he clearly knows far less about football than he thinks. But he is intelligent and as he learns things ought to improve. Providing he listens. I'd lock him in a room for a day with Airman.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    BigDiddy said:
    Cloudworm said:

I would say that one has to question why TS has Roddy, Mumford and Gallen if between the 3 of them, we cannot sign a left back, half decent midfielders and another striker??

I think that TS and his senior team/advisors thought they could blag this division and that is why no effort was made to sign any decent players OR it may be that TS has no intention [or ability] to spend the money required.

Without a TEAM, there is no point in having a "structure", "plan" or all of the other football buzzwords we all like to use.

This looks like gross incompetence rather than the spitefulness of the RD era, but the outcome is still the same.
    Not sure what Mumford has got to do with the team. He's got enough on with the commercial side.
    OK - I was making the wider point that without a team, nothing else really matters, to the fans at least.

We have wasted a whole summer, ended up with a team that may get us relegated or at best be in the lower half of  the 3rd tier.

Real fans are fed up.
  • Options
    Probably the wrong expression - what I mean is season ticket holders and those who have supported the club through thick and thin.

I am really disappointed in TS, because I thought after RD, the club might have an owner that knows what he is doing.

I would much rather be talking the club up, but that is not possible at this point.
  • Options
    BigDiddy said:

I think we are on a similar page. I have done my time in terms of being patronised with crap. I don't think the team is that broken that a few signings that address the issues wouldn't fix. However, apart from some notable exceptions, Charlton has been run stupidly for much of the time I have supported them.

When I started supporting them, they had one of the best attacks in Division 2 but one of the worst defences. There is usually and reliably a but with us. Some things are more important than others of course but a club on the up tends to set itself high standards in every aspect of what it does. That is the challenge and whilst I like Sandgaard and haven't given up on him, I question some of the comments he has made to build expectations and that guitar cameo with the squad we had was beyond embarrassing.

To me he clearly knows far less about football than he thinks. But he is intelligent and as he learns things ought to improve. Providing he listens. I'd lock him in a room for a day with Airman.
    I really hope that he turns it around and soon.
  • Options
    BigDiddy said:
    BigDiddy said:
    Cloudworm said:

Not sure what Mumford has got to do with the team. He's got enough on with the commercial side.
    OK - I was making the wider point that without a team, nothing else really matters, to the fans at least.

We have wasted a whole summer, ended up with a team that may get us relegated or at best be in the lower half of  the 3rd tier.

Real fans are fed up.
    Absolutely the priority for the next ten days, no question.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I think the recent losses necessitate additional supplementary spending that perhaps TS wasn't expecting and I just hope that he can see that now and will put his hand in his pocket. As has already been said elsewhere, loans can be a massive gamble and don't play into the longer term approach that I think everyone yearns for. I think he needs to be under no illusion that we are underperforming in key areas and he's the one who has the capacity to make the significant investment we may still need.

If he doesn't and we rely on loans and waiting for injured players to return, it's going to be a long season with many disappointed and angry fans. Everything was set for success and the desire to stick to a budget below that of our rivals may cost us even a low chance of reaching the playoffs.
  • Options
    Apologies for asking but I've been a bit out if it the last few weeks in hospital but finally caught up last night that weve lost four on the spin which shocked me as I thought they were winnable games.

So is it true that the team were booed off or told they were not fit to wear the shirt?

Also will Adkins survive?

Just gobsmacked at what I've seen and wondering if I should watch the highlight of all the games or would it better to watch the Sound of Music? 

The Von Trapp family get away from danger. ( Spoiler alert)
    Charlton will stay in danger until we can find goal scorers and relationships all over the field and partnerships with better link ups. 
  • Options
    If Kirk's miss had hit the pigeon and gone in, the pigeon would be our joint top scorer!
    This would have been the greatest goal in football history ngl
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Btw Wigan looked decent. Think Wyke is better than a lot give him credit for (mainly Sunderland fans) and Will Keane looked a good player. As did James McClean - I know a lot of people don't like him but he bossed it when he came on.

Word for Ben Amos taking the banter from the Covered End well too - can't believe we didn't test him at all.
    I wasn't hopeful of testing him. As for criticism of Golfie or any of us who were calling this before the season started, we all want Charlton to win. We say what we do because that is how we see it and criticism and ridicule is only valid if we are proven wrong. I said there were no goals in the team and amazingly I was right. But it isn't insightful football knowledge on my part, you can wiki our team and see it for yourself. Add up the games and average out the goals.
    I agree with you and Golfie and others, the team as it stands has proved to not be good enough. 

Everyone could look at the numbers and see how players had performed in the past but that’s not always the best indicator of future performance. 

I was willing to wait a few games to see how we got on before sticking the boot in and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that approach.

Well done on calling it right re: goal threat before this season started. What I will say to that is that many of the same people were saying the same stuff last summer and we turned out to be one of the best goalscoring teams.
    & we haven't replaced a 15 goal striker
    & like my post says, people were saying the exact same thing last year, even down to your response here.

“Oh no we haven’t replaced Lyle Taylor, who’s going to step up?”

Chuks did, after being famously dubbed “one goal Chuks” by one poster last summer.
    The difference being we had Chuks to step up, who's going to do it this year ?
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    If Kirk's miss had hit the pigeon and gone in, the pigeon would be our joint top scorer!
    We can be critical of his finishing but at least the pigeon knew where to be.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    We can be critical of his finishing but at least the pigeon knew where to be.
    Best bit of positional sense on the pitch.  Is it too late for it to get MOM?
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    BigDiddy said:
    BigDiddy said:
    Cloudworm said:

Real fans are fed up. 
    What's a 'real fan'?
    A Real fan......a fan of Real Madrid. 
  • Options
    Btw Wigan looked decent. Think Wyke is better than a lot give him credit for (mainly Sunderland fans) and Will Keane looked a good player. As did James McClean - I know a lot of people don't like him but he bossed it when he came on.

Word for Ben Amos taking the banter from the Covered End well too - can't believe we didn't test him at all.
    I wasn't hopeful of testing him. As for criticism of Golfie or any of us who were calling this before the season started, we all want Charlton to win. We say what we do because that is how we see it and criticism and ridicule is only valid if we are proven wrong. I said there were no goals in the team and amazingly I was right. But it isn't insightful football knowledge on my part, you can wiki our team and see it for yourself. Add up the games and average out the goals.
    I agree with you and Golfie and others, the team as it stands has proved to not be good enough. 

Everyone could look at the numbers and see how players had performed in the past but that’s not always the best indicator of future performance. 

I was willing to wait a few games to see how we got on before sticking the boot in and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that approach.

Well done on calling it right re: goal threat before this season started. What I will say to that is that many of the same people were saying the same stuff last summer and we turned out to be one of the best goalscoring teams.
    & we haven't replaced a 15 goal striker
    & like my post says, people were saying the exact same thing last year, even down to your response here.

“Oh no we haven’t replaced Lyle Taylor, who’s going to step up?”

Chuks did, after being famously dubbed “one goal Chuks” by one poster last summer.
    The difference being we had Chuks to step up, who's going to do it this year ?
    Adkins thinks its Davison. 
  • Options
    It is now very obvious that we need to get players in a very quickly. I dont think you can fault the effort of the players but there are too many either not in their natural position or some are just not good enough. I actually think that if we get in a decent LB, a creative midfielder and another striker then that would make the difference needed. With the way the window has gone it does make me think that someone has told TS that our youngsters can step up. Who that might be who knows but I just cant see a businessman who without doubt is pretty switched on would not see that failure this season is only going to burn money. I suspect there will be some interesting conversations going on at the moment ! If we end up at the close of this window with anything like the squad we have at the moment not a chance Adkins will not walk imo. TS has always said money is there for transfers and I suspect there might be a power struggle going on within the club in terms of what's needed
  • Options
    I was furious yesterday, but have calmed down a bit now. I don't blame Adkins realky as he's not able to shuffle the pack. He made changes to try and be positive, but the lack of quality throughout the squad is frightening. A few weeks in and we're still without a left back and a reserve keeper ffs. That is shocking. I really believed TS would nail it this summer, but it's been a disaster so far. Gonna have to be a busy couple of weeks to try and rescue the season now I feel.
  • Options
    BigDiddy said:
    Probably the wrong expression - what I mean is season ticket holders and those who have supported the club through thick and thin.

I am really disappointed in TS, because I thought after RD, the club might have an owner that knows what he is doing.

I would much rather be talking the club up, but that is not possible at this point.
    I think you’re probably like me @BigDiddy and fell for the ‘blow through the league ‘ and ‘that’ll be us next year’ type of comments. I can imagine they regret saying them now after what has transpired so far. Quite embarrassing.

Assuming we don’t end up getting the calibre of players to compete between now and the end of the month, it would be nice if someone were to hold their hands up and say they got it wrong. However, this will never happen, nor should it, because it reflects poorly on the new guys. It’ll probably go unsaid but hinted at maybe.

So, everyone is entitled to make mistakes, as long as they learn from them. I’m going to give TS at least another transfer window to get things right and in the meantime, keep reminding myself we very nearly lost the club just last year.

Chin up, mate.