Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Elliot Lee - gone to Wrexham (p15)

Comments

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Well, I just came from making a somewhat miserable post on another thread so it's great to find something positive.

Maybe some boffin can list other father-son Charlton players (?).
    Keith and Gavin Peacock
    Colin and Chris Powell
    Nicky Forster and Jake Forster-Caskey (if you count step sons)

I believe that’s it.
    Ged and Jacob Roddy
    First father and son pair where the father made his debut after the son - can see Ged getting a run out in the pizza cup.
  • Options
    ColinTat said:
    Good signing, happy with it.  Not sure it fits into Nigel's prefferred 433, and if he wanted to desperately sign him then Shinnie is the perfect match for him and Stockley as the provider.

This is a fine signing, but just as important is that this team needs pace down the flanks.  We've not got it at right fb, so they desperately need to get it at lb and really lm.
    Kirk seems to be the closest thing to a LM albeit playing more forward than traditional winger. He's no Rommedahl but he's not slow, same as DJ on the right. If pace is going to be needed that's when we can throw CBT into the mix.

I definitely agree that we need speedy, attacking full backs, definitely on the left and preferably on the right too.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    if we sign a good young attacking fb on perm, I think its a good window, loans will be the cherry on top. We should have less injuries than previous seasons as well.

Your last sentence is one of hope rather than fact…..we have had appalling bad luck over the last few seasons.
    Let’s hope your assessment is correct…..our bad luck not withstanding.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    if we sign a good young attacking fb on perm, I think its a good window, loans will be the cherry on top. We should have less injuries than previous seasons as well.

I don't think it's quite the catastrophe it's made out to be in some corners but it's a qualified success at best. There have been some good signings but some less so, and the fact that the new system seems slow and overly complex is worrying.

A good signing at FB and possibly another CM will give us what is probably a decent enough team but I won't lie and say I wasn't hoping for a little better than just decent.
  • Options
    We all want a team of Robert Lee's and now we have his son, good to keep it in the family  
  • Options
    Matt’s available…

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Thought he was a striker rather than a no10, but fine yeh goal record okay for that.

key point for me though is he doesn’t appear to be championship quality. We need to be trying to assemble a championship side, like we had in 11/12 and like we had in 18/19.
    Bit late for that now. That should have happened 2-3 months ago. Now its just get players in who are good enough to firstly stay in this league & if we are in a decent position in January (ie top half) then maybe mount a play off push. 

Championship quality players wont be joining us now.
    Cheer up. We can attract L2 players.
    League 2 players such as Kirk, Stockley, Lee and Famewo... Oh wait...
  • Options
    I still think we've got a decent first XI, who could arguably make top 6 although with Gilbey and Purrington injured it might take a while for that XI to actually play together. Midfield doesn't look sensational but still early days so Dobson and Clare deserve a bit more time. We need a LB but the huge concerns for me are cover for Stockley and Inniss. If we can get those 3 I'd be feeling a lot more positive than a few days ago. 
  • Options
    I still think we've got a decent first XI, who could arguably make top 6 although with Gilbey and Purrington injured it might take a while for that XI to actually play together. Midfield doesn't look sensational but still early days so Dobson and Clare deserve a bit more time. We need a LB but the huge concerns for me are cover for Stockley and Inniss. If we can get those 3 I'd be feeling a lot more positive than a few days ago. 
    that is a massive understatement.
  • Options
    Not to worried about centre back cover now that Elerewe has broken through. I think we have enough with Pearce and Gunter to cover that position. Left back is a priority as is a forward. 
  • Options
    Does anyone remember a flood lit game, against Bradford City I think, where Lee ended up on his hands and knees at the Holmesdale end (Sept /Oct 1985 ) searching the ground . A Bradford  player joined in and then others. They were looking for a contact lens apparently belonging to Lee.
    I couldn't recall the game, but yes I do remember Lee searching for a lens.
     I recall it was one of the first at Sellout Park. I checked.  Remember Sunderland was the first Sellout fixture. The second was Bradford City.  I remember the Bradford player going over to Rob who was on his hands and knees searching He then joined him. Very surreal. 
    Thanks for remembering it. 
    I also remember if correct that the attendance v Bradford was @3,400.
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    -----------McGivalry
    Matthews - Innis - Famewo - *NEW*
    ---------Dobson - Gilbey
    DJ----------- Lee ---------Kirk
    -----------Stockley

looks a good team to me
    And if we can’t play football, at least with a DJ we’ll be able to dance in the stands at the end of the game.

• Options
    that is a massive understatement.
    Agreed, but we've got Lee now to play a more attacking 433/4231 and Gilbey to come back, on paper it's not weak. 
  • Options
    this signing personally is very missing link so my feeling is the season starts tomorrow, gives more space to DJ & Captain 
  • Options
    Best signing since Innis from Palace.
    This signing will work for us PITY it is only a loan signing.
  • Options
    I wouldn't be surprised if there was an option to make it perm in Jan if it works out and we are looking to free up a loan spot
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gilbert lol. 
  • Options
    This is a good signing, him and his brother are both very effective players especially at this level 

He is similar to Andrew Shinnie in a way, very direct, minimal decorative elements just effective 
  • Options
    I wouldn't be surprised if there was an option to make it perm in Jan if it works out and we are looking to free up a loan spot
    Out of contract next June. Hopefully the only worry will be if we want him in the Championship!
  • Options
    Will most likely play more games & score more goals than his dad did at The Valley. 
    What an idiotic comment 
    I could probably look it up but I dont thknk Robert Lee played much at the Valley. He scored the last goal there but as a sub so I'm thinking that might have been his breakthrough season. He left us before we went back, so although he played a lot of games & scored a lot of goals I'd stick my neck out to say probably a handful of games & 1 goal at THE VALLEY.
    Had a beer - whilst your negative comments are usual, poor spelling is not ??

Robert Lee scored more than 1 goal at The Valley - annoyingly my Home and Away book is in the loft - pretty sure he scored on his debut at The Valley 

My point is that your original comment was not needed - Robert Lee played lots of games and scored lots of goals for us at home games - sadly most at grounds that were not our ‘home’ - he was however a massive player for us and one of the key players that kept us in Div 1 way beyond what was thought possible 
    I'm a bit cheesed off with your digs at Golfie.

FYI, if his spelling is off, it's because he had an eye operation two days ago.

He doesn't want any sympathy but leave it out. He wasn't criticising Robert Lee. He probably saw and appreciated the player more than the average Lifer of equivalent age.
  • Options
    Will most likely play more games & score more goals than his dad did at The Valley. 
    What an idiotic comment 
    I could probably look it up but I dont thknk Robert Lee played much at the Valley. He scored the last goal there but as a sub so I'm thinking that might have been his breakthrough season. He left us before we went back, so although he played a lot of games & scored a lot of goals I'd stick my neck out to say probably a handful of games & 1 goal at THE VALLEY.
    Had a beer - whilst your negative comments are usual, poor spelling is not ??

Robert Lee scored more than 1 goal at The Valley - annoyingly my Home and Away book is in the loft - pretty sure he scored on his debut at The Valley 

My point is that your original comment was not needed - Robert Lee played lots of games and scored lots of goals for us at home games - sadly most at grounds that were not our ‘home’ - he was however a massive player for us and one of the key players that kept us in Div 1 way beyond what was thought possible 
    I'm a bit cheesed off with your digs at Golfie.

FYI, if his spelling is off, it's because he had an eye operation two days ago.

He doesn't want any sympathy but leave it out. He wasn't criticising Robert Lee. He probably saw and appreciated the player more than the average Lifer of equivalent age.
    Hope everything went well with golfie’s eye op.

Hopefully, when he’s fully recovered, he’ll be able to see his glass isn’t always half empty.
    😎

Just kidding. 

Wishing you a speedy recovery golfie.  👍🏼
  • Options
    Enjoyed his 15 minutes. Thought he looked strong and didn’t expect the pace he has. Look forward to seeing what he can do over 90 minutes, but initially looks like a smart signing for us.