Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Elliot Lee - gone to Wrexham (p15)

Comments

• Options
    Anyway, he’s another body and will struggle not to improve our current array of dross
  • Options
    One more in there, Gilbey to eventually return, Adkins has options to alter that midfield or rest players, something he couldn't do in the first four games,
  • Options
    I am neither overwhelmed with joy nor underwhelmed with disappointment at this signing, I therefore consider myself merely whelmed.
  • Options
    Hysterical with joy. "Whelmed" indeed.
  • Options
    Never heard of him in footballing terms, was he a first team regular at Luton?
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Living in Bedfordshire I know a few Luton fans... colleague who is a Luton ST holder sent me the following:

You’d have been better off keeping Shinnie, I'm amazed you let him go! EL has been decent for us over the years, but IMO he is nowhere near C’Ship standard, we loaned him out last season as well, to Oxford as he hasn't been near our first team for a while. You’re getting a player who is at his ceiling in L1, rather than being likely to set it alight.

Obviously it's not quite as simple as Shinnie vs Lee, as the former clearly didn't fit into the system that Adkins wants (whereas presumably Lee does), but here's hoping he proves my mate wrong!
  • Options
    Happy with this. Welcome Elliott. Different player to what we have at the club.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2021
    I don't think anyone's expecting Lee "to set the league alight", but with him & Kirk (plus Blackett-Taylor) we're already a fair bit stronger than the start of the season.

If we can get a play maker midfielder, a striker as back up, who is better than Davison and a LB, I think we should have a chance of the play offs.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    We needed an attacking midfielder who can score goals. Then if you play 4-2-3-1 you can play Stockley as your central striker with Elliott Lee behind. DJ, Gilbert, or Washington can play in the wide positions on the flanks either side of Lee. 

We are 21st in League 1, and we need players to improve the team and especially bring some goals to the side.

With Gilbey and Purrington getting fitter, we should start to improve. Plus another couple of players in.

Looks a decent signing for league 1.
  • Options
    I don't think anyone's expecting Ollie "to set the league alight", but with him & Kirk (plus Taylor Blackett) we're already a fair bit stronger than the start of the season.
    Now I’m even more confused. 
  • Options
    Will most likely play more games & score more goals than his dad did at The Valley. 
    What an idiotic comment 
    I could probably look it up but I dont thknk Robert Lee played much at the Valley. He scored the last goal there but as a sub so I'm thinking that might have been his breakthrough season. He left us before we went back, so although he played a lot of games & scored a lot of goals I'd stick my neck out to say probably a handful of games & 1 goal at THE VALLEY.
    Had a beer - whilst your negative comments are usual, poor spelling is not ??

Robert Lee scored more than 1 goal at The Valley - annoyingly my Home and Away book is in the loft - pretty sure he scored on his debut at The Valley 

My point is that your original comment was not needed - Robert Lee played lots of games and scored lots of goals for us at home games - sadly most at grounds that were not our ‘home’ - he was however a massive player for us and one of the key players that kept us in Div 1 way beyond what was thought possible 
    Jeez......it was a joke !  And referencing that Robert Lee (not Rob Lee.....that came after he left us) played most of his CAFC career away from the Valley, at Selhurst & Upton Pk. 

Some of you really need to get a sense of humour.. and if my spellings is not up to scratch today its because ive had eye surgery today.. 
    Hope that went well Golfie!
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Living in Bedfordshire I know a few Luton fans... colleague who is a Luton ST holder sent me the following:

You’d have been better off keeping Shinnie, I'm amazed you let him go! EL has been decent for us over the years, but IMO he is nowhere near C’Ship standard, we loaned him out last season as well, to Oxford as he hasn't been near our first team for a while. You’re getting a player who is at his ceiling in L1, rather than being likely to set it alight.

Obviously it's not quite as simple as Shinnie vs Lee, as the former clearly didn't fit into the system that Adkins wants (whereas presumably Lee does), but here's hoping he proves my mate wrong!
    Shinnie scored 3 goals in 29 games last year.  He isn't a striker.  Elliot scored 6 in 20 for Oxford last year.  He obviously is.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

If you had offered me one or the other this time last year, I’d have probably taken Shinnie so it makes sense. Unfortunately it didn’t quite click for him here the same way it did at Luton though. I think Lee could definitely come in, do a job (10+ goals) and help us out in an area where he’s desperately needed.
  • Options
    Decent signing I think.  I don’t really see us being able to get better based on budget it would seem, so given his track record, I’ll take it 
  • Options
    Reminds me a lot of Paul Smyth.

Not sure if that is a good thing or not.
  • Options
    I don't think anyone's expecting Ollie "to set the league alight", but with him & Kirk (plus Taylor Blackett) we're already a fair bit stronger than the start of the season.

If we can get a play maker midfielder, a striker as back up, who is better than Davison and a LB, I think we should have a chance of the play offs.
    Maybe not but I'm hoping that Elliot will given he's the one we actually signed ;)
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

Maybe not but I'm hoping that Elliot will given he's the one we actually signed ;)
    Yes, I've already corrected thanks. Getting too tired, time to log off.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Luton fan I know says he’s a very decent L1 player and we’ve done well to bring him in. Similar level to Shinnie, both left as they’ve now got better midfielders.

He added he’s absolutely more than capable of pulling the strings for an ambitious L1 side.

Also shared the link below to a Luton forum thread on the move:

https://members.boardhost.com/lutonoutlaws/thread/1629993665.html
    He seems to be a good L1 player. 

If we go up this season (which seems a long way off), probably not someone you'd want for the Championship, but that's irrelevant at this moment.

His goalscoring record is hard to judge, as it's good for a No 10, but so-so for an out and out striker.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Will most likely play more games & score more goals than his dad did at The Valley. 
    What an idiotic comment 
    I could probably look it up but I dont thknk Robert Lee played much at the Valley. He scored the last goal there but as a sub so I'm thinking that might have been his breakthrough season. He left us before we went back, so although he played a lot of games & scored a lot of goals I'd stick my neck out to say probably a handful of games & 1 goal at THE VALLEY.
    Had a beer - whilst your negative comments are usual, poor spelling is not ??

Robert Lee scored more than 1 goal at The Valley - annoyingly my Home and Away book is in the loft - pretty sure he scored on his debut at The Valley 

My point is that your original comment was not needed - Robert Lee played lots of games and scored lots of goals for us at home games - sadly most at grounds that were not our ‘home’ - he was however a massive player for us and one of the key players that kept us in Div 1 way beyond what was thought possible 
    To be fair I don't think Golfie was knocking Robert?  He even said he played many games and scored a lot of goals.  He merely pointed out most of them weren't at the Valley.

The only criticism I have ever seen on here about Robert is the common reference to him as Rob and the fact, like Paul Walsh, he sometimes comes across like he forgot he played for us. 
    I don’t put Robert Lee in the Paul Walsh camp - Robert spoke fondly about his time with us on Charlton TV during no fans in stadiums - admittedly he wasn’t as media friendly as Curbs or Lennie - some are better on camera than others  

Paul Walsh can simply do one - and I say that sadly, as I stood on the East Terrace and thought he was a footballing god when he appeared on the scene in 1980 - I was 12 when he was sold and I cried (with my late Dad trying to explain to me that supporting Charlton this would always be the way things would be !!)
    I’d expect him to speak fondly of us when actually on Charlton TV but I’ve read other interviews where he’s forgotten we ever existed. 
  • Options
    Thought he was a striker rather than a no10, but fine yeh goal record okay for that.

key point for me though is he doesn’t appear to be championship quality. We need to be trying to assemble a championship side, like we had in 11/12 and like we had in 18/19.
    Bit late for that now. That should have happened 2-3 months ago. Now its just get players in who are good enough to firstly stay in this league & if we are in a decent position in January (ie top half) then maybe mount a play off push. 

Championship quality players wont be joining us now.