Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Insulate Britain Protests (Blackwall Tunnel p22)

Comments

• Options
    What would they do if they caused a fatal accident. Just try and claim the moral high ground?
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    Huskaris said:
    Huskaris said:
    Gribbo said:
    Huskaris said:
    Gribbo said:
    Huskaris said:
    Gribbo said:
    rananegra said:
    Cloudworm said:
    Just for clarity as some people seem confused by the objectives of the protesters:

WE DEMAND 

That the UK government immediately promises to fully fund and take responsibility for the insulation of all social housing in Britain by 2025;

That the UK government immediately promises to produce within four months a legally binding national plan to fully fund and take responsibility for the full low-energy and low-carbon whole-house retrofit , with no externalised costs, of all homes in Britain by 2030 as part of a just transition to full decarbonisation of all parts of society and the economy.

Ah so they want insulation done in "social housing"

So all the job dodging, benefit claiming protesters yesterday can get their council gaff all warm and toasty for free. 
    Can we establish whether the protestors are middle class hippie drop-outs or scumbags on dole? I can't really tell from this thread, may be they're both?

(The police's hands' off reaction make it clear even if not everyone here can see it)
    I'll profile them for you if you want -

- Retired teachers, reliving their militant student days, but because they've never lived in the real world (school - Uni - back to school again), they don't realise that quite a lot if other people don't get paid if they're late / don't turn up for work and can even lose their job over it. 

- She does reiki and yoga.

- He's started a little plot in the garden, but because that's something else he knows f*** all about, all the produce has gone or died by mid May, so they're back to buying bio from their local Waitrose.

- They've got a Buddha stature in the corner of the garden. They tell everyone it's carved in special stone, but it's cast in not-so- eco concrete and they got it from Whelans down Sheerness for a fiver.

- Dream catchers in the garden.

- Gaff stinks of joss sticks

- Jeremy Vine blaring out every morning.

- They've got a holiday home in France or Italy. 

- They inherited shed loads from the sale of their parents property in Lewes and look for the best schemes that give the best returns when investing, even though their anti Capitalists.

- They all definitely go Glastonbury. 
    I will be using this as my "wanker barometer" from now on. 

Terrifyingly, I tick 2 of those boxes. 
    A place in France and Glasto?
    Place in France, too ashamed to admit the other. 
    Oh no, not Jeremy Vine.

Nearly as bad as following James O'brien on Twitter
    I listen to him on LBC every day but I don't go on Twitter. 

It's really important to understand the viewpoints of those that you disagree with, but I really do feel like him and the people that "follow" him have a distinct lack of critical thinking and, much like many of the people they despise, only want to hear things they agree with. 

He's just a left wing Piers Morgan, saying a load of shite to be provocative, but I bet if you sat down with him in your dining room, he wouldn't come up with half of that bollocks, it's a living, and all the money these days is in the culture wars. 
    Really?  He used to spend most of his time slagging off Corbyn, and mentions voting Tory as many times as he’s voted Labour, doesn’t come across as very left wing to me.
    Piers Morgan was slagging off the government over how they have handled COVID, does that make him left wing?

Slagging off Corbyn just means he has a functioning brain. 
    Okay so what makes him left wing?
    The fact that for the past 5 years he will oppose literally anything the government does, unless it is a case of saying "I think they've got it right on this one!!!" Until 10 minutes later he has a call that by some miracle makes him realise he "was wrong"...

As well as consistent cases of "cognitive dissonance"

Maybe left wing is the wrong description, literally anti anything the government does would be more precise, painfully so.

But his livelihood depends on it, I might sound overly critical there but I really do like him, he was one of my heroes growing up for reasons I won't bother going into, but his routine is unbelievably predictable and transparent. 

I've realised I've taken this thread off topic, sorry. 
    If he is not left wing he is certainly socially liberal 
  • Options
    Really surprised there's not bottles of piss being thrown over them from the other carriageway.
  • Options
    Having watched those videos, I am convinced one or even some of them will be killed or seriously injured - if a car is on the outside lane doing 70 and there is a lorry in the middle lane next to that car, the car can’t see what’s ahead of it to the left hand side until the last seconds 
  • Options
    It looks like they've stopped it in both directions
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    It looks like they've stopped it in both directions
    Yep - AA Roadwatch for that section of the M25 shows big queues both directions 
  • Options
    Can't they just unfurl a banner off a crane up town or something
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    They are able to cause disruption because it is practically possible. I heard on the wireless that they tell the Police what they’re going to do just before they do it, hence the improved response times from the Police over the past week or so.
    The arrests will clog up the legal system.
    The Police arrested some people yesterday just before they got on to the road using conspiracy laws.
    However if the protestors keep a low profile then the M25 is a long road to be able to police every inch.
    Arrest and imprisonment is not a deterrent so these protests will continue (and become more creative, and probably more dangerous and cause real harm to more people.)
    It happens because it can, like a determined person or group could poison the water supply.
    Vilification is not going to stop this, maybe persuasion could work, I don’t know.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Really surprised there's not bottles of piss being thrown over them from the other carriageway.
    This is actually an idea.
    I saw a video once of a disgruntled farmer covering the front of a bank with manure from his muck spreader.
  • Options
    A bottle of piss emptied over their heads could be mighty persuasive.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    They are able to cause disruption because it is practically possible. I heard on the wireless that they tell the Police what they’re going to do just before they do it, hence the improved response times from the Police over the past week or so.
    The Police arrested some people yesterday just before they got on to the road using conspiracy laws.
    However if the protestors keep a low profile then the M25 is a long road to be able to police every inch.
    Arrest and imprisonment is not a deterrent so these protests will continue (and become more creative, and probably more dangerous and cause real harm to more people.)
    It happens because it can, like a determined person or group could poison the water supply.
    Vilification is not going to stop this, maybe persuasion could work, I don’t know.
    What about if they cause a 10 car pile up? Is that all prepared for with local firefighters, ambulances and hospitals ?
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Having watched those videos, I am convinced one or even some of them will be killed or seriously injured - if a car is on the outside lane doing 70 and there is a lorry in the middle lane next to that car, the car can’t see what’s ahead of it to the left hand side until the last seconds 
    If they continue with those tactics on the M25 in the rush hour, it's not them I'm concerned about it's the traffic behind travelling at speed causing a multiple pile up which could have tragic consequences on those innocent drivers, put an incredible strain on our first responders and the local hospitals and cause absolute chaos for hours on one of the busiest motorways in Europe.

Meanwhile Hilda and Howard get released by the Police and sent home to adjust their thermostats.
    That’s a very good point - rush hour driving on the M25 is an ‘experience’ at the best of times - I would not want to be in my Wife’s Mini, have to brake very suddenly, and get rear ended by a Transit that’s coming behind me rapidly because it’s doing 85mph…..
  • Options
    If there were a multiple pile up caused by the protestors it wouldn't stop them. Sadly it seems inevitable an accident will occur.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    If only some would follow them home. Block their gas guzzling 4×4 in on the driveway so they cant go and pick Tarquin up from fencing practice and Jemima from sewing class.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    seth plum said:
    What about if they cause a 10 car pile up? Is that all prepared for with local firefighters, ambulances and hospitals ?
    No I would think it isn’t prepared for.
    The conundrum is related to the practicalities.
    Activism is very often creative and difficult to deal with, like Swampy in the past.
    Activists can be creative and clever and do the unexpected. Conventional protest is not as effective. If millions can march through London to protest the Iraq war, or the ongoing disaster of Brexit, what do they get from it beyond sore feet?
    These protests can be argued to being successful in that everybody is talking about them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Kind of starting to respect their moxie. Still doing this, now knowing they're going to be dragged off, threatened, hated. They must really mean it!

Still don't think they're doing it right though. You don't want to popularise your cause by unpopularising yourself. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Kind of starting to respect their moxie. Still doing this, now knowing they're going to be dragged off, threatened, hated. They must really mean it!

Still don't think they're doing it right though. You don't want to popularise your cause by unpopularising yourself. 
    The really love the attention.

Bunch of oxygen thieves that don’t give a shit about ‘their’ cause. An embarrassment to all those moving the green agenda forward throughout the world. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Leuth said:

That's because people like them like playing the victim, even though it's their actions that causes the reactions you've pointed out. If they took a more constructive approach for their cause, people may admire them, but they don't want that do they
  • Options
    I do suspect a few screws loose
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I do suspect a few screws loose
    Possible side effect from starting on the weed in their mid 60's
  • Options
    Leuth said:

They are use to it from all the other protests they turn up too every other day of the week.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

They are also no doubt adding to their numbers of people who are prepared to do this, because of the press coverage they are getting - at some point they are going to be in the position where the Police don’t get there in time, and some drivers get out and meat out their own ‘justice’
  • Options
    Probably went straight to skunk, skipping all the mellow buzzes. Ah well
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!