Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gillingham v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 21st September 2021 | Match Preview

Gillingham v Charlton Athletic
Tuesday 21 September 2021 | Kick-Off: 19.45pm
Live on Valley Pass

Referee: Keith Stroud - last officiated a Charlton game in Adkins' first loss as Charlton manager, at home to Peterborough United last season. A game where Stockley had a penalty saved. 

Introduction
5 defeats from the first 7 in League One must be worst start to a Charlton season in living memory. Chants of “sacked in the morning” was loud in the away end against Wycombe. Things are bleak and all is not well in SE7. Sandgaard addressed the fans on Twitter after the game stating it’s put us in a difficult position, and I am not quite sure he was talking solely about the league position… But dwelling in football gets you nowhere, especially when we have game coming up so fast again on Tuesday. The ‘derby’ game we have unfortunately played more than any in our recent history, Gillingham away.

Opposition
Manager: Steve Evans (36.4% win rate)
Stadium: Priestfield Stadium
League Position: 20th | Gillingham's Last 6: LDWLDL
Nickname(s): The Gills

Gillingham played at home to Milton Keynes on Saturday, losing 4-1, their line up was:

Cumming
McKenzie | Ehmer | Tucker | Tutonda
O’Keefe
MacDonald | Dempsey
Adshead
Kelman | Oliver 

Gillingham will be without O’Keefe for the fixture against the Addicks as he was sent off midway through the first half again Milton Keynes. Tactical wise, they often play a formation us Charlton fans know all about. The diamond was a huge success for us under Bowyer and is a way that Evans has often deployed since taking over at The Gills. Like every team in this division, they have some names who stand out. Jack Tucker at centre back was one that we apparently were interested in during the summer whilst it was reported that we had a bid rejected for Kyle Dempsey in midfield late on in the window.

The biggest danger man has to be Oliver who scored 17 last season, his best ever return in his career. Kelman, his strike partner, is on loan from QPR, the youngster is yet to have a full season under his belt so will be looking to impress. Kyle Dempsey, Gillingham‘s skipper makes them tick in midfield when they get going.

We could also see two brothers come up against each other, Olly Lee plays for Gillingham and scored against us last season so will again want to play a part and get one over his brother. Keep an eye out for their dad, he is bound to be there on Tuesday night.

Charlton Team News
We learnt a few days ago the extent of Inniss' injury alongside the news that Schwartz is also set to be out for the same length of time, 2 months. They join Forster-Caskey on the treatment table, although the recovery of the cultured midfielder is going well. We now may have a big squad on paper, but the fitness and match sharpness of several members of the squad remain a concern for Adkins whilst seemingly having to perform a juggling act to find what will work best without players breaking down too quickly. Gilbey, Purrington, Arter, Souare, and probably a few more are all at different points in their fitness.

One thing we have learnt quickly this season is Stockley cannot play up front on his own, we are a much better team when he has a partner who can stretch the defence. We also know that central midfield has been a big issue. Until we have a settled side, until we have a team that does the work defensively and is able to support going forward without leaving gaping holes in the middle, problems will persist. Let's hope with the majority of players getting fitter and stronger, those early season problems will be a thing of the past...

Six changes were made to the trip to Adam’s Park but the same type of performance continued. The only positives from the game to a Lavelle opened his account for his new side which should help him settle and the subs made an impact when they were introduced. 

MacGillivray
Gunter | Lavelle | Famewo | Souaré
Dobson | Arter
Lee | Blackett-Taylor
Washington | Stockley

Subs: Harness, Pearce, Clare, Morgan, Kirk, Leko, Davison

Prediction
The short trip down the A2 has seen us struggle at times, but with a fully packed out away end, and hopefully getting behind the players on a Tuesday evening, I could see this having the potential to be a fiery encounter. We all know what to expect from a Steve Evans side, he is going to be in the ear of the 4th official the whole game and often that will influence proceedings. With Stroud as the referee, it only adds another ingredient to that potential. I think we could see at least one red card in this, and if we do, hopefully it won’t us! A horrible loss on the road to Wycombe means a big reaction is needed, otherwise I dread to think what is going to happen. So anything but 3 points would be failure, I just don’t have the heart to predict anything else. A late winner sparks jubilation - it’s the emotional rollercoaster of football after all.

Gillingham 1-2 Charlton Athletic

Comments

• Options
    Another predictable result could be on the cards, with us all ranting about Evan's the $%×/ post match.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Hoping to get enough people to play indoor football to avoid having to watch this. Combining that with a bet on Gillingham gives us a chance of an unexpected win. I’m expecting more of the same though with pressure on NA increasing.

I’d go for a similar team but drop Gunter completely from the squad and give Deji a go at right back. Leko up front rather than Stockley if fit enough.

We need to play with more composure on the ball, win more second balls, defend better and press more effectively. Not too much to ask…

If they play a diamond we’ll need to get it right in the middle to avoid losing the battle.

You’ve picked 8 subs, who will you drop?
  • Options
    Exactly the formation I argued for post Saturday, 442 with Lee as an attacking mid in the Graeme Stuart mould.
    It makes sense as it makes the best of the players we have.
    The only difference is I would have Matthews for Gunter.
  • Options
    Gillingham were unable to fill their substitutes bench on Saturday and one less now after O’Keefe’s sending off. 

Whilst we have 8 on ours. Maybe Nigel will let Evans have one of ours. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    1-2 We go behind early but a mazy classic Leko run ends with a toe poke finish from Stockley. Everyone clamours about "That's why you should play the ball to his feet" 

Late in the second half Gillingham hit the crossbar. Gunter/Matthews smashes the ball out for a throw whilst completely unpressured from the rebound. A poor throw routine gives substitute Elliott Lee a chance to break, he rounds half the team and is scythed down by his evil brother in the 18 yard box. 

Our Lee gets the last laugh as he slots home, not once but twice as the ref demands a retake. 

Team:

MacGillivray
    Gunter/Matthews - Lavelle - Famewo - Souare
    Dobson 
    Morgan - Arter
    Leko
    Washington - Stockley

(Subs: Harness, Pearce, Gunter/Matthews, Purrington, Clare, Lee, Davison)
    (Morgan & Leko off around 68, Lee & Clare on. 

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    1-2 We go behind early but a mazy classic Leko run ends with a toe poke finish from Stockley. Everyone clamours about "That's why you should play the ball to his feet" 

Late in the second half Gillingham hit the crossbar. Gunter/Matthews smashes the ball out for a throw whilst completely unpressured from the rebound. A poor throw routine gives substitute Elliott Lee a chance to break, he rounds half the team and is scythed down by his evil brother in the 18 yard box. 

Our Lee gets the last laugh as he slots home, not once but twice as the ref demands a retake. 

Team:

MacGillivray
    Gunter/Matthews - Lavelle - Famewo - Souare
    Dobson 
    Morgan - Arter
    Leko
    Washington - Stockley

(Subs: Harness, Pearce, Gunter/Matthews, Purrington, Clare, Lee, Davison)
    (Morgan & Leko off around 68, Lee & Clare on. 

For what it's worth (nothing), I'd choose the following to start in a straightforward 4-4-2: 

MacGillivray 
    Matthews - Lavelle - Famewo - Souare 
    Leko - Dobson - Clare - B.Taylor 
    Washington - Davison

Bench:
    Harness, Gunter, Elerewe, Morgan, Jaiyesimi/Lee, Kirk, Stockley

*Edit* or: 

4-2-3-1 

MacG 
    Matthews - Lavelle - Famewo - Souare 
    Dobson - Clare
    Leko - Lee - B.Taylor 
    Davison

That gives you Washington and Stockley available for a shape change to 4-4-2 if it's not working. (Lee could also join Davison up top)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have a ticket for this, but I may swerve it - we are poor, it’s a crap ground, the pond life from both clubs will be out in force - the thought of the train home after another depressing result doesn’t fill me with glee, especially as it will have plenty of idiots on it
  • Options
    Robert Lee will be on Charlton TV to watch his 2 boys, so once again will be fairly neutral

I've had enough of the whole Gillingham awayday experience so am happy to swerve this and watch on TV
  • Options
    I've no idea what our team will be

More random formation and personnel changes no doubt PLUS can the likes of Arter and Souare play 2 matches in 4 days? It wouldn't surprise me if Souare was rested
  • Options
    decided to swerve this and won't even watch on the box - playing 7 a side and will avoid it.

Can't be arsed.

expecting another dismal defeat - will probably be a score draw with a stay of execution for Nige
  • Options
    Got the feeling this could be one of those Dagenham or Northampton away when the crowd turn on the team after a pathetic showing.  Probably in the minority here but I do not want to be coming up against a Steve Evans side in current form. We look unmotivated and timid and Gillingham will be up for it.

Gillingham 3-1 (Adkins to be gone before the weekend).

• Options
    mendonca said:
    You know your team is in a bad situation when wholesale changes need to be made the game after wholesale changes were made.
    And that's exactly what happened last season.

If Gillingham play the diamond I am really worried we will just get totally over run in midfield.  Gillingham, not Manchester City, fucking Gillingham.  How did it get to this?

Can we afford to leave Stockley out from a defensive point of view?

It should be a case of turn up, play well and probably win.  It isn't. 

How many of Saturday's team would be able to start on Tuesday if you wanted them to?  Must be serious question marks over Arter, Pape and Leko.  God this is depressing.
  • Options
    I'd personally like to see Stockley dropped and Davison up top with Washington, but then also see the need to build a consistent partnership between Stockley and Washington.

Feel we'll win this 2-0, and the calls for Adkins to go will be eased slightly.
  • Options
    I have a ticket and for the first time in 56 yrs I don’t want to go to a game. I didn’t think football could get worse than the turgid crap I saw under Robinson. But Adkins has taken it to a whole new level. I get really depressed when I think about going and that feeling of embarrassment.  
  • Options
    Really surprised that after all the transfer speculation, Dempsey and Makepeace Tucker are still at Gillingham. I imagine the transfer speculation will start again in January if they don't sign new contracts
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2021
    It's a dangerous game dropping your captain and probably best Summer transfer for a rookie after 7 games. Some would argue it's why forwards should never be captain. 

I am not saying Stockley is undroppable, but it will take some man management to keep him motivated after that. He is not the issue, either our setup or execution of a plan is. But of course that was going to happen, as we are using league games as our pre-season. It's all linked.
  • Options
    This will be the first ever charlton game where our own manager will get more stick than Steve Evans.

I dread to think the panic changes he’s going to make here, because of the quick turnaround where does that leave Souare, Arter, Pearce, Washington etc, can they go again 3 days later?  

MacG
    Matthews, Lavelle, Famewo, Souare
    Clare, Watson
    Lee
    CBT, Leko, Washington 

Too much turmoil, on the pitch that is, to get a win Vs a Steve evans side which will have had the hair dryer treatment after Saturday.

1-1 in hope.
    2-1 in reality.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    It's a dangerous game dropping your captain and probably best Summer transfer for a rookie after 7 games. Some would argue it's why forwards should never be captain. 

I am not saying Stockley is undroppable, but it will take some man management to keep him motivated after that. He is not the issue, either our setup or execution of a plan is. But of course that was going to happen, as we are using league games as our pre-season. It's all linked.
    The worst part about it is we look far worse than we did in preseason.  The Reading, Palace and Fulham games we looked a bit short of quality but we pressed high and looked like when knew what we were trying to do.  There was a distinct lack of hoof ball as well. 

Of course everyone has a plan until you get punched in the face.  You could see it in the MK Dons game, we looked quite good, made one mistake and fell to pieces.  
  • Options
    Comfortable away win, 0-4, as somebody once said. 
  • Options
    Anyone mad enough to want to buy a ticket? I’ve got 2 spare
  • Options
    Anyone mad enough to want to buy a ticket? I’ve got 2 spare
    Weirdly tempted by going 
  • Options
    Thanks for another great preview. 

If NADS wants to be in charge for the Pompey game he needs to start the game with  -

MacGillivray
    Gunter | Lavelle | Famewo |Souare
    Lee |  Dobson | Arter | Blackett-Taylor 
    Leko | Stockley

We need to score first and we won’t do that with just Stockers up front in a 4-5-1. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    The 88th minute in the Wigan game when the fans went from supporting the team to  "Your not fit to wear the shirt" may be the day that the new and last season's players lost the crowd; or the crowd lost the players depending how you see it.

If the cliché starts that Adkins has lost the dressing room then "Lost" is the buzz word on and off the pitch.

I was at the valley for the Cheltenham game and have seen the goals on quest and heard comments on CL about the Wycombe match. No positives other than both teams didn't score 5 against us. 

Gillingham 2 Charlton 3

I keep seeing Davison score a brace and Lee with the 3rd.

No idea why I just said that other than I feel lost in my own Charlton quicksand and I want to dream, believe and achieve.

Nurse, nurse, bring me my medication 

• Options
    I predict a really crap game and we scrape a 2-1 win. Have to win eventually.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!