Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gillingham v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 21st September 2021 | Match Preview

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2021
    AndyG said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    1-2 We go behind early but a mazy classic Leko run ends with a toe poke finish from Stockley. Everyone clamours about "That's why you should play the ball to his feet" 

Late in the second half Gillingham hit the crossbar. Gunter/Matthews smashes the ball out for a throw whilst completely unpressured from the rebound. A poor throw routine gives substitute Elliott Lee a chance to break, he rounds half the team and is scythed down by his evil brother in the 18 yard box. 

Our Lee gets the last laugh as he slots home, not once but twice as the ref demands a retake. 

Team:

MacGillivray
    Gunter/Matthews - Lavelle - Famewo - Souare
    Dobson 
    Morgan - Arter
    Leko
    Washington - Stockley

(Subs: Harness, Pearce, Gunter/Matthews, Purrington, Clare, Lee, Davison)
    (Morgan & Leko off around 68, Lee & Clare on. 

For what it's worth (nothing), I'd choose the following to start in a straightforward 4-4-2: 

MacGillivray 
    Matthews - Lavelle - Famewo - Souare 
    Leko - Dobson - Clare - B.Taylor 
    Washington - Davison

Bench:
    Harness, Gunter, Elerewe, Morgan, Jaiyesimi/Lee, Kirk, Stockley

*Edit* or: 

4-2-3-1 

MacG 
    Matthews - Lavelle - Famewo - Souare 
    Dobson - Clare
    Leko - Lee - B.Taylor 
    Davison

That gives you Washington and Stockley available for a shape change to 4-4-2 if it's not working. (Lee could also join Davison up top)
    That midfield looks horrible - no passing quality whatsoever 
    We have to make do with what we have. 

If it was entirely up to me, Morgan would be in there, but I'll just have people whining about how shit this 21 year old that keeps getting picked by managers is. 
    This fascinates me mate. When I read your posts I nearly always agree or if indont I can certainly see your point of view. But when you defend Albie by saying he is 21 and people should stop whining I just cant see your point. Ok he is 21 but has played loads of games, been around the 1st team for a few years but is no better today than he was in his 1st appearance imo. He wants far to much time on the ball. Would rather pass backwards than forwards. His set pieces are frankly dire. He has been given another chance the 1st few games of the season but who can in all seriousness can say they have seen anything that lends any credibility to the hope that he is anywhere near good enough
    He's one of our best passers of the ball, I have seen nothing to say he's going to be a premier league or even top championship player, I do think when he inevitably leaves he will do well at this level and lower championship, lesser skilled footballers have done so and even better.

He's gone backwards this season, undoubtedly. I would also argue with JFC & Gilbey yet to return he's our best passer of the ball. 
  • Options
    Oh dear god.  IF THAT is the team we're going to get hammered.

Well and truly.

Goodnight Nigel.  I hope you prove me wrong. 

Rest our top goalscorer, captain and hardest working player.

OR play our expensive wingers, get the ball WIDE early and have Lee play off our striker. 

Carnage is going to ensue.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    On reflection and no offence to either VFR4Life or Leaburn Forever

But why the hell is the squad being potentially leaked from within so soon before matches?

Do we seriously think thats okay from whoever it is at the club - Surely the reaction should be: "Why the hell is our team being leaked from Sparrows Lane" regardless of the level we're currently at... instead of "Christ is that the team we're going to be seeing".

No wonder there are still aspects within the club that are rotten to the core

Shows Sandgaard still has work to do away from the matchday team
    Totally agree. If that is the bona fide team sheet for tomorrow, regardless of my views on its shortcomings, I would hope that whoever in the club leaked it is found and fired. Totally out of order and if it is on our forum it is in the hands of our opponents. Hopefully it is just a bit of harmless speculation from the training ground which has found its way on here. In which case no harm done.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Stockley not to start. 
    We’ll win. 
    The revival starts here. 
    [Edit: If that team list is correct I’m not so sure. Watson & Morgan? Agree with resting Stockley though]. 
    But more importantly wtf if going on behind the scenes!?
    Something is amiss if team lineups are being leaked. 
  • Options
    arny23394 said:

Stupid Nigel still has no idea.

One up front doesn't work, you complete bell end!

You need to go!
    I assume the team above is what you’d put out tomorrow and it only has one up top??
    Nope.  This was published as the most likely team for tomorrow.  Adkins doesn't learn from his mistakes.  No one in their right mind would play one up front, when you lose every week using this formation.  
    Published where? 
  • Options
    this ain't looking good VFRfor life - might be worth clarifying whether this is your guess or info you have received otherwise, whether u r right or wrong, u r not going to look good  
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    this ain't looking good VFRfor life - might be worth clarifying whether this is your guess or info you have received otherwise, whether u r right or wrong, u r not going to look good  
    It’s the correct team sheet. That’s what will start tomorrow.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If that team starts, Adkins will be gone and Jacko takes charge of the team for Portsmouth on Saturday and probably for the rest of the season.
  • Options
    How is there so much certainty? 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    It’s the correct team sheet. That’s what will start tomorrow.
    well that can only help the opposition so shouldn't have been posted 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Thanks @ForeverAddickted for posting - I’ve added to your likes now! Much prefer the view I’ve got than what we have had so far this season. Big game tomorrow night.
    Leysdown has improved since I last visited 😳
  • Options
                                           MacG
                   Matthews  Lavelle  Famewo  Souare
                                   Dobson  Arter
            Blackett-Taylor                   Lee     
                             Washington  Leko
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    supaclive said:
    Oh dear god.  IF THAT is the team we're going to get hammered.

Well and truly.

Goodnight Nigel.  I hope you prove me wrong. 

Rest our top goalscorer, captain and hardest working player.

Tbf he's only got 2 goals this season with the other goalscorers with one each. Hardly hitting the top of the goal scoring charts is he.

* for context the "shit" MacAuley Bonne has 5.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Starting to feel like someone is stirring the pot behind the managers back.

Could it be the same person that was doing it before under Bowyer?
    Nah.....more likely Kirk's agent. Gets the lad a move & finds he is bombed out after just 3 games. 

Or Clare's agent.

• Options
    VFR4life said:
    Line up is…

mcgillivray
    matthews
    lavelle 
    pearce
    purrington
    watson 
    morgan
    lee
    cbt
    davison
    washington
    In what world does OAP Watson and the equally awful Albie come back into that team… and Pearce for Famewo??? What logic is there for bombing Matthew’s and then recalling him to the XL

If true this feels like a panicked selection.

I almost hope we get beat to end this madness… and I don’t say that lightly!! 
  • Options
    Give up all hope … Keith Stroud is the ref 
    we have no chance with him as ref … never forgive the club for not supporting his calm that Charlton fans damaged his car in the car park since then he had it in for us …. 
  • Options
    Tbf Nigel was right when he said we wouldn't guess his teamsheet if that's really what we're playing
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If the VFR team is correct,(he is ITK) and in the surreal soap opera world of Charlton Athletic it  feels we have reached after 7 games an incendiary moment in our season. 

When the guys on 3 and 4 year contracts don't start (DJ + Kirk) and if Pearce and Watson ( "back up players" this season) do start then everybody should be aware that we have may reached Nigel's Waterloo, or Dagenham away potentially under Chris Powell.
    The big difference is it wasn't CP team that was playing poorly, it was the team he inherited. Who's team is this ?

Who made the decision at Cafc to sign 4 wingers when we needed a couple of young attacking full backs, especially on the left  which gives you the option of 3-5-2. 

There feels like a rift between Adkins, Roddy and Gallen.

Who is leaking the team ?

I don't want to accuse anyone but is the Tea Lady at Sparrows lane a stirrer ?
  • Options
    1-1, after the last couple i have gone back into negative mode for the time being. We really need to get something going or its going to be a long season
  • Options
    Unless it's a fitness issue i don't see how you can drop Arter after 1 game, he absolutely needs to start.

Adkins also appears to have very quickly forgotten just how bad the Watson/Morgan midfield duo was v Cheltenham.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    I've heard that there will be six changes tonight and a good number of players want Adkins gone. He apparently instructs the players in training to play long to Stockley but then throws the players under the bus with the media by saying the opposite.

Discontent reigns it seems.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    I've heard that there will be six changes tonight and a good number of players want Adkins gone. He apparently instructs the players in training to play long to Stockley but ten throws the players under te bus with the media by saying the opposite.

Juicy, but what's the provenance of this?
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    LenGlover said:
    I've heard that there will be six changes tonight and a good number of players want Adkins gone. He apparently instructs the players in training to play long to Stockley but ten throws the players under te bus with the media by saying the opposite.

Juicy, but what's the provenance of this?
    'a club insider'
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!