Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gillingham v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 21st September 2021 | Match Preview

Comments

• Options
    0-0 - that covers the score, the quality and the referee's mark
  • Options
    It's the worst possible place to go and get our season back on track. 

It's their cup final and they won't let us play any football ( not that we have been at all this season) and to add to that , the fat prick on the sideline will be doing his best to influence the ref.

I predict ninety minutes of anti football and probably a narrow defeat.

2-1 Loss
  • Options
    Think we'll sneak a win here . 1-0 Lee with the goal .
  • Options
    One thing I know already. If Stockley plays, the first time the ball gets played up to him their defender will hit the deck holding his face and their players and management team will be screaming at the ref.
    4-4-2, or rest Stockley and play 3-5-1 with Leko up front.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    One thing I know already. If Stockley plays, the first time the ball gets played up to him their defender will hit the deck holding his face and their players and management team will be screaming at the ref.
    Not a bad shout but shouldn’t we play another player instead rather than play with 10?
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Not a bad shout but shouldn’t we play another player instead rather than play with 10?
    Whoops, should read 4-5-1.
  • Options
    This will be the first ever charlton game where our own manager will get more stick than Steve Evans.

I dread to think the panic changes he’s going to make here, because of the quick turnaround where does that leave Souare, Arter, Pearce, Washington etc, can they go again 3 days later?  

MacG
    Matthews, Lavelle, Famewo, Souare
    Clare, Watson
    Lee
    CBT, Leko, Washington 

Too much turmoil, on the pitch that is, to get a win Vs a Steve evans side which will have had the hair dryer treatment after Saturday.

1-1 in hope.
    2-1 in reality.
    On second thoughts I wonder if Deji will be consider for tomorrow and he sticks with 3 at the back?  

MacG
    Deji, Lavelle, Famewo 
    Matthew, Clare, Arter, Souare
    CBT, Leko, Washington 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2021
                                           MacG
                   Matthews  Lavelle  Famewo  Souare
                                   Dobson  Arter
            Blackett-Taylor     Lee        Leko
                                      Washington 

No long balls! Though not sure whether Leko or Washington up top. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Lot of talk of 4-4-2 and I get it but I really don't think we have a centre mid pairing good enough to play as a two. They're barely good enough when there's three. 
    That’s why I’d go for a Curbs/Powell style 4-4-2 with a CM out wide. Lee’s not an out and out CM but he seems to have more energy about him than Kirk or DJ. Clare might be another option.

I don’t see 3 at the back as a good option with Gunter or Matthews being our options on the right and Soaure probably unlikely to start another game so soon after Saturday.

I’m not convinced by playing with a lone striker, the wide attackers in 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 don’t seem to know if they’re supposed to add width, support Stockley or track back. They don’t look capable of doing all three equally well.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Talal said:
    Lot of talk of 4-4-2 and I get it but I really don't think we have a centre mid pairing good enough to play as a two. They're barely good enough when there's three. 
    That’s why I’d go for a Curbs/Powell style 4-4-2 with a CM out wide. Lee’s not an out and out CM but he seems to have more energy about him than Kirk or DJ. Clare might be another option.

I don’t see 3 at the back as a good option with Gunter or Matthews being our options on the right and Soaure probably unlikely to start another game so soon after Saturday.

I’m not convinced by playing with a lone striker, the wide attackers in 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 don’t seem to know if they’re supposed to add width, support Stockley or track back. They don’t look capable of doing all three equally well.
    That's fair enough. I'd be happier seeing Lee out wide as he'd likely tuck in more. Agree about the wide men not really knowing what their job is but if we play two up that includes either Stockley or Davison we'll end up lumping it. Would have to be Leko and Washington. 
  • Options
    Another 2-0 defeat and no shining sun or singing birds for Adkins by Wednesday morning.
  • Options
    Hoping for a great night, ( for all the right reasons) clean sheet and nick it 1-0 right at the death.
    COYRS!!
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Scoham said:
    Talal said:

That's fair enough. I'd be happier seeing Lee out wide as he'd likely tuck in more. Agree about the wide men not really knowing what their job is but if we play two up that includes either Stockley or Davison we'll end up lumping it. Would have to be Leko and Washington. 
    I’d be happy to see Leko and Washington up front. Would give us more mobility and movement up there and we’ll have to avoid hoofing it up to them.
  • Options
    The 88th minute in the Wigan game when the fans went from supporting the team to  "Your not fit to wear the shirt" may be the day that the new and last season's players lost the crowd; or the crowd lost the players depending how you see it.

If the cliché starts that Adkins has lost the dressing room then "Lost" is the buzz word on and off the pitch.

I was at the valley for the Cheltenham game and have seen the goals on quest and heard comments on CL about the Wycombe match. No positives other than both teams didn't score 5 against us. 

Gillingham 2 Charlton 3

I keep seeing Davison score a brace and Lee with the 3rd.

No idea why I just said that other than I feel lost in my own Charlton quicksand and I want to dream, believe and achieve.

Nurse, nurse, bring me my medication 

The "you're not fit to wear the shirt" chants actually started in the previous game against MKD. 3 games into the season must be a new and unwanted record...
  • Options
    Think we will win, but unfortunately NA has “lost” the crowd and people will just be waiting for the next defeat to start again 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    442 but not playing 2 wingers, so you could have Morgan or Clare on the right of midfield, with just the one winger - CBT on current form - on the left
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Agreed, he's a red card waiting to happen, the number of times he's getting penalised by refs this season
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As we know, wingers are inconsistent so maybe drop CBT from the squad and bring somebody into the team who was dropped from the squad last game. 
  • Options
    Because of who the opposition is, a win could turn our season around, a defeat could see the end of Adkins reign. 

Sadly, the latter feels more likely 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Because of who the opposition is, a win could turn our season around, a defeat could see the end of Adkins reign. 

Sadly, the latter feels more likely 
    I think we're much further away than a win against a struggling Gillingham from turning our season around.

I can see them turning us over by a couple of goals tonight 2-0/3-1.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    When a team is in a rut & losing games by being shit & not just by being unlucky then you need to pick a settled side & make as little changes as possible. A team needs to gel & that can only happen out on the pitch on matchdays.

However, some of the players selected on Saturday aren't fit enough to last 90 mins, let alone 2 games in 4 days, so I'm expecting more changes just for that reason alone.

Currently I'd go with the following:

Mac

Matthews  Famewo  Lavelle Purrington

Leko   Arter   Dobson  Blackett-Taylor 

Lee   Davison 

Would probably let in a few but up front will cause their defence problems. We arent losing games because we are getting thrashed......we are losing because we cant score more than 1 goal a game. We have more options to change the midfield & the strikers than we do the defence. Sort that out first & see how that goes.

Cant predict a result. Likely as not we will win because we cant be this bad game after game.....but then I said that on Saturday and the week before.

• Options
    Talal said:
    Lee plays as an old fashioned inside right rather than a winger, so really three in midfield
  • Options
    Anyone got 2 spare tickets for sale? 
  • Options
     Gillingham 0 - Charlton 1
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Anyone know which pubs for away fans?
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    As we know, wingers are inconsistent so maybe drop CBT from the squad and bring somebody into the team who was dropped from the squad last game. 
    Came on and skinned the right back about 47 times & caused more problems than the rest of the team combined and you want to reward him by dropping him from the squad. Stupidest thing I’ve read on here today. 
  • Options
    Vfrf said:
    Anyone know which pubs for away fans?
    The ones in Greenwich.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!