Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gillingham v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 21st September 2021 | Match Preview

Comments

• Options
    cafctom said:
    Taking the missus along to her first Charlton away day (not including pre season).

I knew that I’d be doing many of the away games this season, so when I saw Gillingham was on a Saturday I thought I’d score some points and gave it the right big one didn’t I….”Yeah, I’ll take you out for lunch in Rochester. We can walk around the castle etc”

Now the game has been moved to a Tuesday night, and so there is no choice but to head direct to the scaffold stand, where no doubt we’ll get beat and the only amusement will be watching Steve Evans pulling his trousers up all game.

I wish Steve Evans would belt up.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Great post, but I'd have Washington instead of Davison in the improved team
    That's a great point I hadn't considered - I think that would work well too!
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    I hope whoever is leaking this information is found and sacked. We cannot have someone inside the club working against it. Is it the same person who came out with the tosh about Bowyer never talking tactics?
    Absolute scummy behaviour undermining managers behind their backs. Should be man enough to stand up and say his piece or shut up and get on with it. Embarrassing.
    it's Adkins doing it
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    I've heard that there will be six changes tonight and a good number of players want Adkins gone. He apparently instructs the players in training to play long to Stockley but then throws the players under the bus with the media by saying the opposite.

Discontent reigns it seems.
    No doubting your honesty and sincerity Len, but I'd sure like to give this "club insider" a serious grilling.
    Where to start!
  • Options
    VFR4life said:
    Line up is…

mcgillivray
    matthews
    lavelle 
    pearce
    purrington
    watson 
    morgan
    lee
    cbt
    davison
    washington
    f**king hope not
  • Options
    Find it surprising if somebody is regularly leaking info - what would their agenda be?

Maybe Adkins is working for Palace and trying to fool us?

• Options
    1 ticket needed if anyone’s got 1 please? 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    this ain't looking good VFRfor life - might be worth clarifying whether this is your guess or info you have received otherwise, whether u r right or wrong, u r not going to look good  
    It’s the correct team sheet. That’s what will start tomorrow.
    well that can only help the opposition so shouldn't have been posted 
    You’d think having found out it’s been posted they’d change the line up. I would (assuming it was possible with injuries and fitness etc). 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    VFR4life said:
    Line up is…

mcgillivray
    matthews
    lavelle 
    pearce
    purrington
    watson 
    morgan
    lee
    cbt
    davison
    washington
    Surely not.
    It's almost as though Dobson, Clare, DJ and Kirk are now being punished for not being better than they are.
    Watson and Pearce, the 2 that "wouldn't be playing much".
    Morgan, just to show there's a pathway, whatever your ability.
    Davison, if he carves out a career above National League level I will eat my hat.

Leaving aside the implications of random individuals putting out a "confirmed" line-up 24 hours before a game, if it is indeed true it's like Nigel is now being defiantly comic.
  • Options
    edited September 2021

• . COYR.
    Leko for Kirk assuming he’s fit. CB-T on the left, Leko the right. 
    Davison is quite different from Stockley. Don’t think there’ll be such a temptation to lump it up to him. He makes more runs, and is often looking for through balls as he’s bit more paced than Stockley. 
    Famewo for Pearce maybe? Can’t believe he’s lost that much form. And Pearce will probably not be ready to play another game tonight. 
    Prefer Souare, but doubt he could be fit to start today. Might be though. 
    Again, would rather see Arter than Morgan, but doubt he’d be fit to start. 
    Massive game, sadly. 
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    I've heard that there will be six changes tonight and a good number of players want Adkins gone. He apparently instructs the players in training to play long to Stockley but then throws the players under the bus with the media by saying the opposite.

Have to admit it did seem very odd that Adkins suddenly came out and said he didn't want them playing long ball when as far as any of us could see, that's what we pretty much do every single game. 
  • Options
    If Leko was gassed against Wycombe and they had them in for training the past two days, I think Leko will be able to do 20-30mins at best. I would start him if he was able to do a longer stint. I liked Davison vs. Crawley and I think he is knocking on the door because of the hoofball. Famewo is guilty, for me, for more of the hoofball - I'd bring Deji in over Pearce, but with more midfielders providing runs and space for a pass for Famewo, he'd be fine. It's the lack of options that means he gooes full hoof. Souare and Arter both need more time for fitness (Souare did need to come off and Arter surprised me in making the 90 on Saturday).

I'd go for a Curbs-esque, 4-4-2 with one winger, one Stuart-style tucked in midfielder *IF* everyone was fit. Sadly, we don't have enough fit midfielders with full comfort on the ball to play that atm (unless you want to waste more time playing Watson...)
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

• . COYR.
    Leko for Kirk assuming he’s fit. CB-T on the left, Leko the right. 
    Davison is quite different from Stockley. Don’t think there’ll be such a temptation to lump it up to him. He makes more runs, and is often looking for through balls as he’s bit more paced than Stockley. 
    Famewo for Pearce maybe? Can’t believe he’s lost that much form. And Pearce will probably not be ready to play another game tonight. 
    Prefer Souare, but doubt he could be fit to start today. Might be though. 
    Again, would rather see Arter than Morgan, but doubt he’d be fit to start. 
    Massive game, sadly. 
    I agree and would add that if Arter is not fit, I would replace Morgan with Watson as I think Dobson is a bit to easily shrugged off the ball and playing the defensive CM on his own is asking too much at the moment. 
    For me it is Lee or Morgan. Good arguments for either starting, especially with the need for someone to play in Davison. 
  • Options
    Hoping for the best.
    Expecting  the  worst. 
    Sums this season up really 
    This … 
  • Options
    Note the warning about the Medway Tunnel for anyone driving this evening - queues have been bad there of late 
  • Options
    Note the warning about the Medway Tunnel for anyone driving this evening - queues have been bad there of late 
    Yeah there are roadworks as you come away from Gillingham now (one lane closed in the tunnel) and head up towards the Wainscott Bypass - 30mph speed limit in both directions as well
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    AndyG said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    1-2 We go behind early but a mazy classic Leko run ends with a toe poke finish from Stockley. Everyone clamours about "That's why you should play the ball to his feet" 

Late in the second half Gillingham hit the crossbar. Gunter/Matthews smashes the ball out for a throw whilst completely unpressured from the rebound. A poor throw routine gives substitute Elliott Lee a chance to break, he rounds half the team and is scythed down by his evil brother in the 18 yard box. 

Our Lee gets the last laugh as he slots home, not once but twice as the ref demands a retake. 

Team:

MacGillivray
    Gunter/Matthews - Lavelle - Famewo - Souare
    Dobson 
    Morgan - Arter
    Leko
    Washington - Stockley

(Subs: Harness, Pearce, Gunter/Matthews, Purrington, Clare, Lee, Davison)
    (Morgan & Leko off around 68, Lee & Clare on. 

For what it's worth (nothing), I'd choose the following to start in a straightforward 4-4-2: 

MacGillivray 
    Matthews - Lavelle - Famewo - Souare 
    Leko - Dobson - Clare - B.Taylor 
    Washington - Davison

Bench:
    Harness, Gunter, Elerewe, Morgan, Jaiyesimi/Lee, Kirk, Stockley

*Edit* or: 

4-2-3-1 

MacG 
    Matthews - Lavelle - Famewo - Souare 
    Dobson - Clare
    Leko - Lee - B.Taylor 
    Davison

That gives you Washington and Stockley available for a shape change to 4-4-2 if it's not working. (Lee could also join Davison up top)
    That midfield looks horrible - no passing quality whatsoever 
    We have to make do with what we have. 

If it was entirely up to me, Morgan would be in there, but I'll just have people whining about how shit this 21 year old that keeps getting picked by managers is. 
    This fascinates me mate. When I read your posts I nearly always agree or if indont I can certainly see your point of view. But when you defend Albie by saying he is 21 and people should stop whining I just cant see your point. Ok he is 21 but has played loads of games, been around the 1st team for a few years but is no better today than he was in his 1st appearance imo. He wants far to much time on the ball. Would rather pass backwards than forwards. His set pieces are frankly dire. He has been given another chance the 1st few games of the season but who can in all seriousness can say they have seen anything that lends any credibility to the hope that he is anywhere near good enough
    He's one of our best passers of the ball, I have seen nothing to say he's going to be a premier league or even top championship player, I do think when he inevitably leaves he will do well at this level and lower championship, lesser skilled footballers have done so and even better.

He's gone backwards this season, undoubtedly. I would also argue with JFC & Gilbey yet to return he's our best passer of the ball. 
    He probably had too much pressure on him. He is still young and it is easy to forget that but the way forwards as a player like him is to come in off the bench or to cover an injury and impress without undue pressure. Not be our talisman for success when there is not any background evidence of this. Above all else, it isn't fair on him. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I do like to give managers a chance and find there feet/system but it has to be said...it has only got worse and thats the scary part.

Tonight has to be the turnaround game for Adkins. A performance and solid win is needed, nothing more nothing less. This squad is a good and talented lot but with no cohesion, we arent going anywhere.

1-0 Charlton. Lavelle

Personally the system I would play to suit our strengths is:

Craig Mac
    Matthews      Famewo       Lavelle        Purrington

Arter           Clare

Leko                                                    Kirk

Stockley        Washington

Arter sits and covers a winger pushing forward until Clare is back and covering the other winger. 5 attacking at any one time is good number. If we can manage overlaps also then great.

Washington dropping off Stockley at times for knock downs and playing on the shoulder for flicks but changing it up a little to keep defenders guessing. 

We have 2 CMs that can pass a ball so play out to wings for crosses into the box with 2 strikers and an approaching Clare and back post winger!

More importantly any winger that plays HAS to try beat there full back. 

• Options
    LenGlover said:

No doubting your honesty and sincerity Len, but I'd sure like to give this "club insider" a serious grilling.
    Where to start!
    There is a pretty easy solution to this, if the ‘inside’ blabber is to be believed and that is for the team to not play long ball, but take control of their actions on the field and try to play a controlled passing style on the deck and see what happens. Adkins cannot criticise them for doing so, as he has publicly stated that this is what he asks them to do. If that doesn’t work, perhaps points more to player capability and effort than any disquiet behind the scenes. 

While the manager picks the team and sets out our stall, it is the players who play and can influence the outcomes of games. Their misplaced passes, misdirected hoofs, constant passing backwards if not hoofing and lack of positional discipline is what I see as hurting us this season thus far and that needs a collective effort to resolve. I have not missed a minute of our football last season nor this, including every friendly etc, so am not speculating, the above is my genuine assessment based on watching every minute. Our team needs to get a grip and the more experienced pros need to show some leadership, calm and 100% commitment. Those qualities too have been on and off like a broken tap - Gunter, Watson and Stockley (yes Stockley who just moaned at everyone when captaining) being good examples. 

We will continue to get behind them, but time for them to step up and show a bit of collective nous and fight.
  • Options
    Well i think we've just about done Gillinghams homework for them. Who's playing, thier strengths, weaknesses, formation and tactics. I bet they can't wait 😂
  • Options
    Dreading tonight 
  • Options
    robroy said:
    Dreading tonight 
    i'm looking forward to it - i'm not going so will watch charlton tv - however bad we might be, there'll be a bit of drama on offer - starting line up gate, NA's tenure, see if we can find any correlation behind TS and Ged Roddy's views on the sqaud at the fans forum and the reality on the pitch,  local derby atmosphere, listen to a few old legends pre and post match  - beats coronation street.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    LenGlover said:

Have to admit it did seem very odd that Adkins suddenly came out and said he didn't want them playing long ball when as far as any of us could see, that's what we pretty much do every single game. 
    There is a massive difference between going long TO Stockley, which we did as an option quite well last season, and generally just hoofing it in his general direction and just standing there watching it, which is what we have been doing. 

Agreed.
    You have a big number 9 and of course at times you have a longer pass option but not a wild uncontrolled kick. Mix and match with football intelligence. We are dunces at the Moment and JFC won't be back until February. 

Will we watch a drama unravel tonight than rather than just a 3rd tier football match ?

The way Cafc have been playing and with Steve Evans in the other corner it feels more like a panto than a drama: oh no it doesn't, oh yes it does.

Evil enters stage left......

• Options
    Was in Rochester at the weekend, decent Austrian bar on the high st.....at the south end.

• Options
    There is no proof that the team sheet posted on here has actually come from the Club - I really can’t believe it’s from the Club - people outside the Club playing silly buggers IMO
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    this ain't looking good VFRfor life - might be worth clarifying whether this is your guess or info you have received otherwise, whether u r right or wrong, u r not going to look good  
    Really?

You and @VFR4life could fairly be accused of being traitors to the club then, couldn't you?

• Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Really?

You and @VFR4life could fairly be accused of being traitors to the club then, couldn't you?

Indeed - but I don’t believe them 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!