Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Bolton Wanderers | Tuesday 28th September 2021

Comments

• Options
    Chunes said:
    Shall we create a separate thread for the I-Told-You-So's? They're taking up so much of the site
    We need to look forward now and start to sort this mess out.
  • Options
    Lauren (fan of the year) Kreamer is right.
  • Options
    We'd be hard pressed to get much worse so things have to turn at some point.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    I was in shock at the end of that. We looked good for most of the first half, and the Bolton equaliser, badly defended as it was, felt a bit against the run of play. But there was a worrying five minutes after that when our heads dropped and we clung on for half time. Second half was an even affair - Bolton looked a lot better but we were right with them, up until the second goal. But there ws a horrible look as a number of our players ran out of gas and needed replacing. And then Bolton scored again, and again our heads dropped, and tis time Bolton had time to turn the screw, which they did - thye had what looked like a clear penalty turned down too.

By the end, we could all see this is a team with relegation written all over it. I wanted Adkins to succeed but he won't be turning this around - 24 changes in four matches is pure desperation. But a new manager will inheirit the same problems. A big number of our squad can't do 90 minutes, and we're at the end of september. Where is Kirk and the lad we bought from Swindon (who's name escapes me)? We looked good for 45 minutes against Gillingham and again tonight, so why do we disintegrate so badly?

Adkins time is up sadly, but all the problems will remain within the playing side. We need a good appointment to get the team playing to a system they can all work in, but the worry is we will get another knee jerk appointment who will need instant success and be fired when it doesn't happen. It's notable a lot of those yelling for Adkins to go don't really have a plan to take the club forward beyond sacking everyone and starting again. That ain't gonna happen. Curbs made a good point post match, that continually changing the squad and the tactics is near impossible when you only have two training days between one match and the next to implement the new plan, But after Bolton, we'll need to do it again.

Enough! I have no idea who we could lure into Adkins empty seat on the bench, or if we'll be promoting Jackson, which apart from the huge bond etween him and the fans, would be a big risk. But we are in a dire position now, after only ten games, and we need a manager who can convert the its of our squad into a team. And patience for it to happen. Saturday will be fun.
  • Options
    What would it take to get CURBS??? 
    Oh dam I've just woken up.
  • Options
    Why do we support a club that’s in a permanent state of turmoil ?

60 years next January SHG, at my wits end.
    My first game was in 1961
    My first game was around January 1962 as well.
    Can't remember who we played!
  • Options
    PWR having slept on it. First 30 or so minutes thought we were very good. Our wide men caused them no end of problems with some real end product. Then we stopped using them and Bolton got back into it. Thought Clare, Lee and Watson were decent in that opening period too.They targeted Matthews by always having a man out wide hugging the touchline. Gave that player space to pick up the ball and get going at him which Matthews was unable to deal with all night.

Up to their 2nd goal I actually thought we were the better side albeit without creating a great deal. Sadly Leko going off and CBT disappearing pretty much ended our attacking threat. Once that 2nd goal went in any confidence evaporated immediately and the rest was obvious. Defensively and offensively our full backs just aren't good enough. Purrington offers nothing going forward and Matthews was done time and again by the man cutting inside.

Centre half position also a worry. Lavelle reminds me a bit of Phil Chapell but without the aerial dominance and Famewo has a horror pass in him most of the time he gets the ball. That said he was busting a gut at towards the end to get us forward and try and make something happen.

Adkins has to go.  As much as people say they don't identify with these players it's a squad that is so much better than the results it is achieving. No idea who we could bring in to replace him but someone who can vary their tactics during a game would be a positive start.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think the saddest thing is I've never been less interested in Charlton. Barely even got a reaction from me when they started thumping us. Couldn't even be bothered to go last night I just stayed at home. Fallen out of love with football massively, never thought I'd say that.
    I went through what you are feeling during the Dowie season - took a few years to get the passion back I can tell you…..
  • Options
    After the Portsmouth game I mde the comment that in most games we look good for 25 monutes and poor for the rest of it. And here we are again.

Three games attended since I've been back in the UK and three defeats. Should I give up?
  • Options
    10 games into a season is when you can start to Judge: we are 23rd in League1.

Played some of our best football in first half but were picked apart as the 2nd half worn on and the heads dropped.

Superb attitude from Josh Davison who is the fittest and quickest member of the squad. I was gob smacked when he was left out of the 18 man squad against Cheltenham.

Curbs and Deano summed up our plight under Nigel Atkins. 

Listen to guys who have been successful at Cafc on and off the pitch. 

• Options
    The Bolton manager quoted as saying that if they could hold out until 60 minutes he knew Charlton would fatigue as you cannot keep up the high press for 90 minutes. 

Seems like everyone, us and the opposition can see what the issues are but not those on the ground inside the club. 

I know I keep banging on about the naivety been shown by our owner, but as I've posted before having a near empty premier league quality  stadium with a super duper senior management structure is ludicrous to put it mildly when you're second from bottom of league one. 

12,700 was the attendance but in reality was there more than 8-9,000 in the ground? 
    The crowd looked really sparse in the West and Covered end. 

Pre season Thomas wanted the Valley full... some bloody hope of that in the near future. 

Time to show that the Billy big bollocks isn't just all show and no substance.
  • Options
    Another thing to note I think is the lack of quality players that have come through the academy in recent years. Only Davison in last night’s squad and though he works hard he’s not what we are used to. 
    It is things like that which are a hangover from the Duchatalet nightmare that Sandgaard has to fight with. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'll leave everything else for another post, but that formation doesn't work, and never will with the players we have. You'll get good periods, but never long enough to win many games, and we will always be vulnerable at the other end

What we had out there - 4231 or 4213 - a centre forward, a very advanced No 10 (Lee) and 2 wingers only works if the 2 wingers are the sorts of players who can chase back to help their full backs, as otherwise they get hopelessly exposed. And it needs really fit players too, the sort who can run and up down the flanks all game, and not flag with 30 to go.

For the first 30 minutes yes we looked good going forward, but as with every other game we look so vulnerable down the flanks, as defending isn't the forte of CBT and Leko. As they tired (CBT in particular), any protection dried up completely, and we faced waves of attacks. Being a Charlton full back this season is a nightmare job, as every team has spotted our weakness there, and it's not the fault of Watson and Clare/Gilbey either, as by trying to protect both the middle of the park and the flanks, they end up protecting neither.
    Just wanted to say, I totally agree with this and it was even worse against Pompey which was 4-2-2-2.

It's so obvious , I cant understand why a professional coach can't see it. 

By all means blame Mathews but he had no chance with that formation and Bolton knew it. 
  • Options
    Just imagine what the mood here and inside the ground would be if Duchatalet was still owner with Katrien Meire as CEO ...
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Shall we create a separate thread for the I-Told-You-So's? They're taking up so much of the site
    Tbh @Chunes, us ITYS were royally rounded on and made to feel like heretics on this forum.  The reality is we are loyal fans who absolutely love the club. I've been going since the age of 7 so 54 years and I am really hurting this morning. 

Afraid I have seen it all before and bought the t shirt. The young ones on here haven't and naturally are glass half full. I said on the pre match thread we'd lose by 3 goals as we are a rabble without a game plan. Bolton would be and were the opposite. 

Anyway back to lurking on this forum for me. Sorry if you think we are crowing about our pre season predictions about ill prepared squads, lack of strikers, shit manager, crap full backs, no centre midfielders etc etc.
    Everybody who has shared an opinion on this forum has been roundly disagreed with at some point. I'm sure everyone has posted an I Told You So, as well. I know I have. But it's on every page these days, has CL turned into a point-scoring exercise? I thought this site's purpose was for sharing opinions, agreeing and disagreeing? At some point surely you just have to get over yourself and move on. Some users are bringing up the same ITYS twice a day. It's not a good look, it's petty. 
    Completely agree. It doesn't help that you get a few posters who think each post is aimed at them to comment and must spend way too many unhealthy hours on here per day.
  • Options
    We need to spend big in January if we are going to stay up this season. 
  • Options
    I think the saddest thing is I've never been less interested in Charlton. Barely even got a reaction from me when they started thumping us. Couldn't even be bothered to go last night I just stayed at home. Fallen out of love with football massively, never thought I'd say that.
    I went through what you are feeling during the Dowie season - took a few years to get the passion back I can tell you…..
    I left during early part of Chris Powell reign- Gary Doherty did a back header that striker ran on to and scored- and I didn't go back until Taylor-Grant combo  linked up. Missed the whole Powell promotion season- if it doesn't bring you joy get rid
    and I still don't regret missing it.
    Still signed in for the moment......
  • Options
    Think we need a bigger change than just the manager. 

The recruitment model failed big time and needs to change.

Whether that's by sacking one of the members of the committee or just giving the manager a much bigger say in who comes in and out, something needs to happen by January to keep us out of League Two. 
  • Options
    Defensively we are a shambles both Full backs are inept Matthews has been woeful for far too long.