Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Bolton Wanderers | Tuesday 28th September 2021

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2021
    LenGlover said:
    Simonsen said:
    Big chance missed by Washington at 1-2 (the lob just past the near post). I like him and his off the ball movement but he needs a lot of chances.

Didn't look like our goalie made much of an effort for Bolton's first goal. Think he's got to save that one (he looked similarly suspect at Wycombe). But maybe I'm expecting too much from a Div 3 keeper. 
    Deano explained that on Charlton TV. He said the keeper was watching the Bolton player between the goalscorer and the goal in case he deflected it. Hence the late movement.
    On seeing a replay, I think it is a good point.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    The most depressing stat is we have been in Division 1 in 8 of the last 13 seasons. Will be 9 in 14 this time next year, if we can avoid relegation. 

I wish we’d been in Division 1 in 8 of the last 13 seasons! 
    I keep forgetting it’s League 1. 

I still call it the third division. 
  • Options
    Oh my! I’ve just seen the Goals. Shocking.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    The most depressing stat is we have been in Division 1 in 8 of the last 13 seasons. Will be 9 in 14 this time next year, if we can avoid relegation. 

I wish we’d been in Division 1 in 8 of the last 13 seasons! 
    I keep forgetting it’s League 1. 

I still call it the third division. 
    Turd division more like.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Simonsen said:
    Big chance missed by Washington at 1-2 (the lob just past the near post). I like him and his off the ball movement but he needs a lot of chances.

Didn't look like our goalie made much of an effort for Bolton's first goal. Think he's got to save that one (he looked similarly suspect at Wycombe). But maybe I'm expecting too much from a Div 3 keeper. 
    Deano explained that on Charlton TV. He said the keeper was watching the Bolton player between the goalscorer and the goal in case he deflected it. Hence the late movement.
    On seeing a replay, I think it is a good point.
    I initially too thought it was poor goalkeeping and even made the comment in the match thread, but as above a goalkeepers insight made me change my opinion.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Simonsen said:

Is that right?

Keeping an eye on a player in case the ball gets deflected rather than keeping an eye on the ball in case it goes into the goal?

Hmm.

The blame, of course, lies with Matthews (and others maybe) for allowing the shot.  But I thought that MacGillivray could have done better.
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    LenGlover said:
    Simonsen said:

Is that right?

Keeping an eye on a player in case the ball gets deflected rather than keeping an eye on the ball in case it goes into the goal?

Hmm.

The blame, of course, lies with Matthews (and others maybe) for allowing the shot.  But I thought that MacGillivray could have done better.
    One for Deano the goalkeeping coach I'd say but it does explain what happened.
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    LenGlover said:
    Simonsen said:

Is that right?

Hmm.

Of course a keeper has to keep an eye on those that the ball comes near. Why is that a surprise? 
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    LenGlover said:
    Simonsen said:

Is that right?

Hmm.

It's the type of goal we have been letting in for over a year now.  3, 4 or even more players make mistakes, even minor ones, and it all adds up because no one does the right thing.  Matthews let's him cut inside then, I think it was Clare doesn't react fast enough.  He didn't even anticipate it.  Even if MacGillivray makes the save both center halves are the wrong side of their man so it would be an easy tap in. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    At the end of last season the main thing coming out of the club is that they wanted to sign younger players that could play at a higher intensity. Very strange that the old guard are still in place or on the fringe nearer starting than to younger players.
    Fitness seem another big issue which again considering the desire to play a high tempo pressing game is a bit weird
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    There were twitter clues of a bit of disquiet about how the club was playing hardball with out of contract players who wanted to stay. A false economy on a number of fronts. There was an impetus from last season that we may have thrown away. Think of the vibe at the club in our record League One winning season. Think of the continuation from Bowyers end of his first season and first full season. I say we may have thrown it away, I don't have the full facts but like I said there were some cryptic twitter clues. It was why I held off getting my season ticket.
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Talal said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    LenGlover said:
    Simonsen said:

Is that right?

Hmm.

Of course a keeper has to keep an eye on those that the ball comes near. Why is that a surprise? 

Because, by doing so, it would appear that he has let the ball go into the goal.

Now ... call me old-fashioned ... but I much prefer a goalkeeper who keeps an eye on the ball and stops it going into the goal.
    Guess Deano is wrong then, poor keeper he was. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Talal said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    LenGlover said:
    Simonsen said:

Is that right?

Hmm.

Because, by doing so, it would appear that he has let the ball go into the goal.

Now ... call me old-fashioned ... but I much prefer a goalkeeper who keeps an eye on the ball and stops it going into the goal.
    Guess Deano is wrong then, poor keeper he was. 

If Deano had been in goal, then the shot would have hit the intervening player ... and Deano would have saved the deflected shot.
  • Options
    The two guys who clean our windows support Bolton and Oxford United respectively. They couldn’t come as scheduled today. Every cloud has a silver lining!
  • Options
    Clive Woodward went big for the weight training for eyes and it works, all about using the peripheral vision we neglect or don't make the most of because we don't need to

Last night was another shitshow of players making stupid mistakes still have no idea how we are meant to be playing, still seem leaderless and have more than a few experienced players coasting at the clubs expense. 

If it was as simple as clearing out the bad eggs, the coasters the ones treating defensive shape or tracking runners as an optional extra I'd have them out tomorrow 
  • Options
    Get pissed and feel like shit for a week or go Charlton , I feel like shit,  horrendous nights kip the evening after , dehydration etc 

was double figure pints in by the time Charlton slumped to the new depths in some pub on Finchley Road with glory Liverpool fans (who do come Charlton for the football experience ) I’m such a shit drinker I don’t even 100% know who was there fffs 
    My new upside down curfew is that I’m not allowed home before 10pm (mrs will go to bed around then ) because I’m so annoying, so was chaperoned home in a sherbert think I got home 11ish and was late enough to miss the family .

Unfortunately Nigel has to go , the players may be pony but they should be more than good enough to be out of the bottom 4 , they’re clearly not playing for him .

0%      Top 2
    0%   Play offs 
    28% 7th-12th
    65%    13th-20th
    7%    The big R 

driven to drink by our ineptitude , someone end this misery now please 

• Options
    I said on the matchday thread at half time, watch us go to pieces in the second half, but I was hoping to be wrong. It seems that we cannot play well for more than 45 minutes at the most
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2021
    To have been lost once by the manager could be considered unfortunate to have been lost by successive managers is damn right careless (by the players).
  • Options
    I wouldn't go as far as 'I hate footballers' but I agree that they're getting off incredibly lightly, and I really do feel sorry for Adkins. This is the first time maybe ever that I've gotten the sense that some players are semi-actively wrecking us. I won't excuse Bowyer for some of his conduct - it was disgraceful and he picked on the wrong people for the wrong reasons - and Adkins' tactical ideas haven't been perfect, have they, but it's clear that some of our players are quite capable of playing like they're in a sulk, and deliberately refusing to execute a plan. 

Sadly, it's easier to replace the manager. But would they do it again?
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Off_it said:
    esseffect said:
    mendonca said:
    J BLOCK said:
    According to a player Adkins barely says a word in the dressing room before the game or at half time.
    I can believe that. I think his coaching team were the tactical men and he was the Mr Motivator. In fact this has become crystal clear. 
    If players are doing that then they really need to stop pointing the finger. 

Whoever you know J Block sounds like a whingeing bastard  
    "The players" didn't like Bowyer either, did they?

Sounds like they don't like anyone much. Poor lambs.

The players stopped liking Bowyer when he started calling them out in public.

The players won't play for Adkins because he has zero credibility - Adkins is laughing saying 'walking is great' but fuck all else while the players are laughing at him, not with him.

That doesn't excuse the players by the way.
    The more I think about this the more it annoys me to be honest. I hate footballers. Adkins has had an absolute pig this season, he's changing formations and personnel constantly, morale seems to be low and fitness is diabolical across the squad, not just with the players who joined late, so I'm not defending his performance, but it's ridiculous that footballers get to decide the direction of the club based on their perception of 'credibility'. Adkins turned up credible, he's managed a team to promotion to the Premier League and improved a number of teams he's been at. How many of our lot have any Premier League credibility? Watson certainly can say he did, and he's one of the only ones who turns up and tries, he's just limited by age. The rest of them though, players we signed on the way down from not cutting it at Premier League academies plying their trade at L1 and L2 level, or dropping down from failure at Championship clubs, they're hardly superstars in the making. They might not like Adkins making silly little videos encouraging positive mental health in people, sure, but if you think the manager isn't credible so you ignore him to play your own way and the plan you cook up in your head is to spend every game lumping it to the big galoot up front's face then you don't need to look any further than the end of your nose to find a lack of credibility. How much better off we would all be if instead of rolling their eyes at the manager some of these actually had a look at themselves. Everyone involved is culpable for our worst ever start to the season, but it's Adkins who will be out on his ear while the rest of these continue to pick up Charlton money and then hopefully decide, if the next manager suits them, that they'll actually do as they're asked and play some football. In a fair few cases this is a lot of players who decided they couldn't be arsed under Bowyer anymore because he was too mean to them, perked up when the manager changed and lost one in 10, stuffed a team 6-0 away and beat the champions, but now a few months later they've decided they can't be arsed again because the same bloke they did well for is, what, too nice on Twitter? Fuck the lot of them, burn it all.
    I like this, you're right some are absolutely stealing  a living. 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Leuth said:
    I wouldn't go as far as 'I hate footballers' but I agree that they're getting off incredibly lightly, and I really do feel sorry for Adkins. This is the first time maybe ever that I've gotten the sense that some players are semi-actively wrecking us. I won't excuse Bowyer for some of his conduct - it was disgraceful and he picked on the wrong people for the wrong reasons - and Adkins' tactical ideas haven't been perfect, have they, but it's clear that some of our players are quite capable of playing like they're in a sulk, and deliberately refusing to execute a plan. 

I mentioned after the Portsmouth game that I was sitting right behind our technical area and could hear every word being said by Adkins, he was literally losing his shit at the style of play and I have no doubt that the backwards/sideways slow build up was nothing to do with what he was wanting. From what I could tell the team on the pitch were basically doing their own thing. In that case what is a Manager supposed to do ?
    We keep going on about the players but how is it we manage to sign all the players with a bad attitude?
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Leuth said:

I mentioned after the Portsmouth game that I was sitting right behind our technical area and could hear every word being said by Adkins, he was literally losing his shit at the style of play and I have no doubt that the backwards/sideways slow build up was nothing to do with what he was wanting. From what I could tell the team on the pitch were basically doing their own thing. In that case what is a Manager supposed to do ?
    Quit, if they are ignoring his instruction, he has definitely lost the dressing room and Managers always pay for that as it is their job to keep them onside and manage personalities in the squad. 
  • Options
    I suppose OPTA stats and analytical models can tell you everything you need to know about a players, except whether they are a c*nt.
    There's a lot to be said for Curbs attention to detail and due diligence of a player's character
    I very much doubt they're all cnuts. I expect we have one or two sh*t stirrers though that are creating problems.