Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Bolton Wanderers | Tuesday 28th September 2021

Comments

• Options
    Imagine our goals against if every team took their chances like Bolton did last night.  :/
  • Options
    robroy said:
    All this talk of another protest smacks of a toddlers tantrum to me. 

We can’t keep bloody protesting every time we get a run of bad results. It’s embarrassing on and off the pitch. Some of the drivel and venom I’ve read on Twitter is sickening. People being very abusive to TS. 

As for last night I opted to save my £10 and read the match thread. Having watched the highlights it’s the basics yet again we fail to do in defence. 

The middle of the park is a stroll. 

The alarm bells should have rang for everyone when Morgan was given the number 10.

“All this talk”? It’s just a bloke with a meaningless Twitter handle who is so in touch with events that he doesn’t even know Rotherham is an international weekend. Laughable. 
    I doubt it’s a bloke - probably a 12 year old keyboard warrior
  • Options
    robroy said:

We can’t keep bloody protesting every time we get a run of bad results. It’s embarrassing on and off the pitch. Some of the drivel and venom I’ve read on Twitter is sickening. People being very abusive to TS. 

As for last night I opted to save my £10 and read the match thread. Having watched the highlights it’s the basics yet again we fail to do in defence. 

The alarm bells should have rang for everyone when Morgan was given the number 10.

“All this talk”? It’s just a bloke with a meaningless Twitter handle who is so in touch with events that he doesn’t even know Rotherham is an international weekend. Laughable. 

Sandgaard, of all people, knows what the fans are saying. I don’t personally see any point in giving Adkins Fleetwood, but I’d sack him regardless of the result. This structure doesn’t work - too many mistakes in the window, too many mistakes on the pitch. Results will bring it down. It’s only a question of when.
    So if its the structure (and not disagreeing necessarily) - why will getting rid of NA work? Aren't you  suggesting the way TS /GR/NA work is the root issue and hence until that set up changes any new manager will also fail?

Change the structure and not the manager maybe?
  • Options
    I still don't rate the goalkeeper.  Apart from 1 good game earlier in the season, I think he's been crap!!
  • Options
    Ok so if the answer is a change on manager ( I'm not saying it isn't) how would everyone feel if the new one comes in and says right I'm in charge and I'm bringing my own people in. Goodbye JJ, Goodbye everyone else involved in the coaching set up !
    People cant pick and choose where to lay the blame due to sentiment. Who is our defensive coach ? He would be the first person I would be asking questions of
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Imagine the mood at the training ground this morning…..jeez
  • Options
    robroy said:

Sandgaard, of all people, knows what the fans are saying. I don’t personally see any point in giving Adkins Fleetwood, but I’d sack him regardless of the result. This structure doesn’t work - too many mistakes in the window, too many mistakes on the pitch. Results will bring it down. It’s only a question of when.
    So if its the structure (and not disagreeing necessarily) - why will getting rid of NA work? Aren't you  suggesting the way TS /GR/NA work is the root issue and hence until that set up changes any new manager will also fail?

I think Adkins has lost all credibility and that won’t just be with the fans. Replacing him may not work, but I think it’s more likely to work than more of the same. We need to bring in someone who can call the shots and is in charge, accountable only to the owner. There’s no role for someone sitting in the background whispering in Sandgaard’s ear, especially if they don’t have a background in club management.
    I think (I don't know) that TS may believe he needs to be strong and NOT sack him & try to promote the long term stability line. But it depends on who else (apart from GR) is whispering in his ear and may validate that the players have lost faith in NA.

Potentially GR is advising to do nothing as he helped identify NA and it reflects on him too?
  • Options
    Had a bit of time to reflect on last night and I do believe its time for Adkins to go. 

Whilst an arm round the shoulder for players is great, We need someone who is going to provide that whilst letting them know they MUST do better and laying into players (privately) as at the end of the day, this is there job and they arent performing. Alex Ferguson, for example, was great at that. Adkins looks out of touch tactically and I do get the feeling he is really on his own.

Whilst I dont think we will get relegated, we arent going up unless by some miracle. Personally I dont think the squad is a bad one BUT they are very unfit and not being used to full effect and I'm sorry as a professional team it isnt good enough that this many games in, this is still an issue. 

Chopping and changing the smacks of desperation and like Curbs and Deano said, you cant build a team like that. 

Overall the performance was better but no team should fade away like that after going down a goal. 

As to who should take over, I cant think off the top of my head but I really do think Curbs should be in and around the team. 

One things for sure, something needs to change.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Watching the goals we concede, the players must be under the instruction to defend the box when the opposition attack.

Purrington doesn't get within 10 yards of the crossing player for their second goal, he runs along the edge of the box.

Its all well and good trying to stay compact but neither full back has any help from their wingers. So you've got a situation where all our defenders are in the box, and their wide players have an eternity to pick out a cross.

Then its panic stations, shit deflections or finishes from the edge of the box.
    Yes, it does almost seem like a deliberate ploy to give up a really dangerous part of the pitch, as it happens move after move, game after game...

By contrast, we never have situations like that when we go forward, where we are just given time and space on the flanks to whizz the ball across the middle of the box, we have to earn it
  • Options
    Embarrassing that three important goals against us in recent games are almost carbon copies of each other. 

Two key things which are down to the management team and which need to be sorted now.

1/ team spirit is fragile to say the least. Now this may be down to the chopping and changing that has been going on but once the Bolton equaliser went in Charlton heads dropped and things began to fall apart. There was no leader on the pitch to get heads up and get back on track.

2/ fitness levels. Clare, B-T, Leko and Lee were all floundering by the hour mark. Their second goal was in part down to B-T not tracking back and Clare should have been pulled 15 mins before he was. It just isn't good enough for the majority of a team to be blowing out of their arse for the last half an hour. (Note that the Bolton manager rested some of his first pick and then introduced them to finish us off). 
  • Options
    robroy said:

I think Adkins has lost all credibility and that won’t just be with the fans. Replacing him may not work, but I think it’s more likely to work than more of the same. We need to bring in someone who can call the shots and is in charge, accountable only to the owner. There’s no role for someone sitting in the background whispering in Sandgaard’s ear, especially if they don’t have a background in club management.
    Your probably right.  I think it's a bigger problem than Adkins on his own though.

If you get an environment where the manager isn't in charge this happens.  For different reasons but it reminds me of what happened at Chelsea a few years ago. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    I think the saddest thing is I've never been less interested in Charlton. Barely even got a reaction from me when they started thumping us. Couldn't even be bothered to go last night I just stayed at home. Fallen out of love with football massively, never thought I'd say that.
    I went through what you are feeling during the Dowie season - took a few years to get the passion back I can tell you…..
    I left during early part of Chris Powell reign- Gary Doherty did a back header that striker ran on to and scored- and I didn't go back until Taylor-Grant combo  linked up. Missed the whole Powell promotion season- if it doesn't bring you joy get rid
    and I still don't regret missing it.
    Still signed in for the moment......
    That can be said for many things in life, but regrettably not when it comes to the life long supporting of a football club. It is impossible to 'get rid' even though the thought very briefly crossed my mind at about 10.00pm last night.
    There would have been 2000 in the home seats yesterday if people only went expecting joy. If that
  • Options
    I think the saddest thing is I've never been less interested in Charlton. Barely even got a reaction from me when they started thumping us. Couldn't even be bothered to go last night I just stayed at home. Fallen out of love with football massively, never thought I'd say that.
    I went through what you are feeling during the Dowie season - took a few years to get the passion back I can tell you…..
    I went through that from about 1992 to 2015. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    bobmunro said:
    I left during early part of Chris Powell reign- Gary Doherty did a back header that striker ran on to and scored- and I didn't go back until Taylor-Grant combo  linked up. Missed the whole Powell promotion season- if it doesn't bring you joy get rid
    and I still don't regret missing it.
    Still signed in for the moment......
    That can be said for many things in life, but regrettably not when it comes to the life long supporting of a football club. It is impossible to 'get rid' even though the thought very briefly crossed my mind at about 10.00pm last night.
    A moment of weakness @bobmunro.  We forgive you.

We almost didn't get there last night ... no petrol and a long trip from the Hertfordshire/Cambridgeshire borders.

But my lad came up trumps.  I am the World's worst car passenger, but a powerful sedative and a decent journey meant that we got to The Valley in good time.

We then got soaked, and thoroughly miserable.  The car steamed up on the return journey and we plodded Northwards over partially-flooded roads.  The final part of our trip home involved a detour due to road closures and a furtive scurry down country lanes and forgotten by-ways.

My lad got home well after midnight.

But I'm glad we were there.  For those who us who love this Club ... while results like last night's break our hearts ... being there is part of what it is all about.

Shared pain ... but we will enjoy the good times (for there will be good times) all the more for nights like last night.

I have endured this feeling a hundred times before ... maybe a thousand times before.  But I don't care.  I'm glad that we made it last night.

And I am glad that this is my Club and that my lads were there with me.
    masochist
  • Options
    edited September 2021
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    robroy said:

I thought it’s known who it is?
    Do tell - I don’t do social media, so I am out of the loop in that respect 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    robroy said:

I thought it’s known who it is?
    Do tell - I don’t do social media, so I am out of the loop in that respect 
    Is it that self-appointed spokesperson for the CAFC masses, who seems to love the sound of his own voice and favours filmed confrontation with himself at the centre of the action?
    #Notinmynamepal
  • Options
    To sack Adkins and Roddy, Sangaard will after admit he got it wrong but if he doesn't he will have to admit that he will have add getting out of Div 2 to his five year plan. 
  • Options
    robroy said:

Out of interest Airman, do you see JJ as a viable option?  It would seem you were right in terms of your thoughts on the set up operationally in terms of how the club is run.  I would fear that if we sack NA and get someone else in, would they agree to the existing set up and if they did, it would probably result in a repeat of what we currently have.  

I think JJ would be worth a shot and perhaps the most viable option given the current set up