Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Bolton Wanderers | Tuesday 28th September 2021

Comments

• Options
    I’m so deflated that I don’t know what to say about the game that hasn’t already been said... but I hope the club ban the idiot who threw something at the Bolton players after their equalising goal. If you’re that easily provoked then you shouldn’t be allowed to attend football matches.
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Fear not, Gunter will be back in on Saturday 
    yes, depressing isn't it......hope he surprises us and puts in a shift.
  • Options
    TEL said:
    cabbles said:
    Fear not, Gunter will be back in on Saturday 
    yes, depressing isn't it......hope he surprises us and puts in a shift.
    Gunter will be off to play for Wales straight afterwards.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    JamesSeed said:
    Hopefully people on this website will now realise how poor Matthews is as a defender. He is OK going forward but 3 of the last 6 goals has been down to him showing his player inside rather than down the wing and they have scored 3 times and he was possibly at fault for two other goals , so many people on this website keep saying how great he is and hopefully they will now realise how wrong they are . There is a reason why so many Welsh managers have given Gunter over 100 caps and Matthews only 14 because a Right Back needs to be a defender first which clearly Matthews cannot do !!! Please wake up to the fact that Matthews cannot defend 
    No but I've realised that you know bugger all about football.
    Have you not noticed the lack of defensive cover from the midfield. None of them track runners, ever. It's difficult to defend when you've got at least two players coming towards you, time and time again.
    Matthews is infinitely better than Gunter. Whether he had been over the last ten years I don't know, but in a Charlton shirt he certainly has. 
    Not quite right. Watch the replay of their first goal and you'll see Leko sprinting back to mark the wide player. So what does Matthews do?  Partly cover the wide player anyway, which shows Afolayan inside, allowing him to shoot (and score). That's two weeks in a row he's backed off allowing a player to score. Sorry, he's not really good enough.
    Totally agree with you, Matthews is not good enough - 3 of the last 6 goals are exactly the same . If Matthews is being outnumbered, he should be telling people around him where to go - at this level that is just basic communication. However all 3 goals were 1 on1 situations and he just ain’t good enough
  • Options
    Thought  Adkins was a good appointment and continued to back him until now. But there is clearly something very wrong behind the scenes and ultimately the manager takes the fall.  Sandgaard has to take the tough call before a wretched starts becomes something far more serious ... as it stands there are no signs of any corners being turned 
  • Options
    Was it me or did JJ and JE have  more of an active role in giving instructions to the players tonight than usual - saw them by the touchline quite a bit…….
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    JamesSeed said:
    Hopefully people on this website will now realise how poor Matthews is as a defender. He is OK going forward but 3 of the last 6 goals has been down to him showing his player inside rather than down the wing and they have scored 3 times and he was possibly at fault for two other goals , so many people on this website keep saying how great he is and hopefully they will now realise how wrong they are . There is a reason why so many Welsh managers have given Gunter over 100 caps and Matthews only 14 because a Right Back needs to be a defender first which clearly Matthews cannot do !!! Please wake up to the fact that Matthews cannot defend 
    Have you not noticed the lack of defensive cover from the midfield. None of them track runners, ever. It's difficult to defend when you've got at least two players coming towards you, time and time again.
    Matthews is infinitely better than Gunter. Whether he had been over the last ten years I don't know, but in a Charlton shirt he certainly has. 
    Not quite right. Watch the replay of their first goal and you'll see Leko sprinting back to mark the wide player. So what does Matthews do?  Partly cover the wide player anyway, which shows Afolayan inside, allowing him to shoot (and score). That's two weeks in a row he's backed off allowing a player to score. Sorry, he's not really good enough.
    Totally agree with you, Matthews is not good enough - 3 of the last 6 goals are exactly the same . If Matthews is being outnumbered, he should be telling people around him where to go - at this level that is just basic communication. However all 3 goals were 1 on1 situations and he just ain’t good enough
    So you would rather see Gunter at right back would you? Good luck with that.

As for your comment about me knowing more about football than anyone else on this site then I don't think that I've ever said that, but I'd happily back my judgement against yours. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Curbs for manager at Fleetwood on Saturday.
    Back to basics. 4-4-2 and a nought-nought.

Bit of organisation. Stop the oppo playing through us and give our fullbacks some proper cover.
    There stopped the rot already. :wink:

• Options
    Elliot Lee looks a luxury player, don't rate him - spends most of the game on the floor
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    JamesSeed said:

As for your comment about me knowing more about football than anyone else on this site then I don't think that I've ever said that, but I'd happily back my judgement against yours. 
    Well you seem to think you know more than Steve Brown and everyone else that thinks Matthews display in the last 2 games has been  dire 
  • Options
    They just kept banging 20 - 30 yard diagonal balls into acres of space on our right hand side. Matthews played very centrally (he must have been asked to) for a full back and so we never cut out the space, so they kept hitting it. 

It looked to me like they were sizing us up in our dominant period and waiting for us to open up.

First game I have seen this season. My sympathies to the regulars.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Bit of organisation. Stop the oppo playing through us and give our fullbacks some proper cover.

Any good team is built from a good goalkeeper and a sound defence. We do not have that, whatever players the manager selects, all the time that the midfield has more holes than a sieve. Not that that excuses the lack of organisation of the back four. They get dragged out of position easily and the marking is non-existent. 
  • Options
    It's ridiculous that YET AGAIN we seem to have a team of players with so many unable to run and press for 90 minutes, indeed 70 minutes. In previous seasons it was excusable as we were dealing in the bargain bucket bin, but this summer we had a decent budget and the chance to build a team with the right physical attributes.

I've said previously that our formation leaves us very vulnerable defensively, really not helped by so many opposition players being fitter than us

As for tonight, Davison made a good impression again. Leko and CBT had good moments going forward, but are part of the defensive problem, especially as CBT was knackered after 45 minutes, and no way should have stayed on for the full 90. Clare showed promise, Watson was ok...

Yes we were 3-1 down and chasing a win, but it all got a bit Karel Fraeyeish at the end, with Washington, CBT, Davison and Stockley in attack with Gilbey and bizarrely Lee being the midfield behind them, I suppose we should be thankful we only conceded one more.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    First game for me this season, usually following on the CL match thread and needing to see for myself what it's all about.

No lack of effort. Can't believe some accusing our players of laziness. That first half looked like some mostly average and below average players playing for each other and forming more than the sum of their parts, then we looked spent. Not sure when Leko went off but that seemed significant.

Couldn't believe Lavelle was a pro footballer. Mistook him for Pearce. Plays it slow and easy along the back. Very nervous demeanour. Akin F very good and mostly composed in contrast.

Also our keeper was working hard. Notable that he was consistently encouraging Lavelle to pass forward, while also making himself available for a Lavelle back-pass. He made a fine save in the first half that the ref mistakenly gave a goal kick for. He was unsighted for the first goal. 3 Bolton players were in offside positions I think as the ball was struck.

I'd like to see some analysis of what went wrong on the pitch tonight by those qualified to do so. Tactical errors can/should be addressed without sacking the manager and if there has been an improvements over the past few games (from accounts on here) it could be detrimental to sack the manager if green shoots are emerging (despite tonight's result!).

• Options
    edited September 2021
    JamesSeed said:

Well you seem to think you know more than Steve Brown and everyone else that thinks Matthews display in the last 2 games has been  dire 
    I think that the teams' performance in the last two (or ten) games had been dire. I wouldn't single out Matthews as being the problem though. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Elliot Lee looks a luxury player, don't rate him - spends most of the game on the floor
    Works hard, great movement on and off the ball, quick thinking, creative, got a goal in him.

Luxury player, really ??????

A nice player, but as FOURTH attacking player, which was what he was today, it did leave us very weak in midfield behind him, as he didn't track back that much. I wonder whether, if Adkins survives tonight, we will only play Lee as one of the wingers and bring in a central midfielder to give slightly more protection in front of the defence.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Any good team is built from a good goalkeeper and a sound defence. We do not have that, whatever players the manager selects, all the time that the midfield has more holes than a sieve. Not that that excuses the lack of organisation of the back four. They get dragged out of position easily and the marking is non-existent. 
    The keeper ? .. MacG was presumably sold by Cowley because he wasn't deemed good enough .. there is something about his game, some weakness or something lacking and I am damned if I can put my finger on what it is. He seems competent but not at all confident if that makes sense .. can this supposed lack of confidence, transmit to those around him?  .. IF IF Henderson is fit, get him in, though of course with any new (or indeed returning) player we bring in, there is always a big IF about fitness
  • Options
    Comedy comment of the evening - incredible 😂😂😂
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Works hard, great movement on and off the ball, quick thinking, creative, got a goal in him.

Luxury player, really ??????

Got a decent first touch, but he was poor tonight. Slow, poor set pieces and that dive just wound me up to be honest. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    LouisMend said:
    Thanks @LouisMend, doing the Lord's work while some of us were in the boozer trying to make sense of it all. Can't be much fun talking to a doomed manager (again).

"We’ve got a long-term vision", though - does anyone who knows anything about football believe such a thing exists in the third tier in 2021? The manager's job is a short-term vision to get the f*ck out of there (in the right direction) - particularly in this godforsaken division.

• Options
    LouisMend said:
    Thanks @LouisMend, doing the Lord's work while some of us were in the boozer trying to make sense of it all. Can be much fun talking to a doomed manager (again).

"We’ve got a long-term vision", though - does anyone who knows anything about football believe such a thing exists in the third tier in 2021? The manager's job is a short-term vision to get the f*ck out of there (in the right direction) - particularly in this godforsaken division.

The problem at the moment isn't that we're not close enough to the vision, it's that we're stranded in the relegation places, and on merit.

Even if Thomas had said to us - "Sorry chaps we won't be blowing this league away, but I want us to be a solid L1 side aiming for the playoffs" - 2nd bottom would be a massive failure
  • Options

The problem at the moment isn't that we're not close enough to the vision, it's that we're stranded in the relegation places, and on merit.

Even if Thomas had said to us - "Sorry chaps we won't be blowing this league away, but I want us to be a solid L1 side aiming for the playoffs" - 2nd bottom would be a massive failure

This is the thing, isn't it? It's delusional. Still, maybe Adkins' long-term vision is knowing his best team by Christmas.