Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Bolton Wanderers | Tuesday 28th September 2021

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2021
    We started well but as the game went on the gaps grew and the defeat looked more and more likely. Maybe the chopping and changing means we lack awareness as a team, maybe the late signings mean we have too many unfit players but nobody seems to be taking responsibility for it whereas the ignorant supporters were calling it for what it was at the time.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    bobmunro said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    bobmunro said:
    Off_it said:
    esseffect said:
    mendonca said:
    J BLOCK said:
    According to a player Adkins barely says a word in the dressing room before the game or at half time.
    I can believe that. I think his coaching team were the tactical men and he was the Mr Motivator. In fact this has become crystal clear. 
    If players are doing that then they really need to stop pointing the finger. 

Whoever you know J Block sounds like a whingeing bastard  
    "The players" didn't like Bowyer either, did they?

Sounds like they don't like anyone much. Poor lambs.

The players stopped liking Bowyer when he started calling them out in public.

The players won't play for Adkins because he has zero credibility - Adkins is laughing saying 'walking is great' but fuck all else while the players are laughing at him, not with him.

That doesn't excuse the players by the way.
    One of them told him walking was brilliant when he got told he was waking not running back and hasn't been seen again 😳

Those players (it's more than one) collectively known as the Bomb Squad.
    Surely after tonight Matthews should be joining them... the bloke's stealing a wage.
  • Options

And then you read that Macauley Bonne scored twice for Ipswich tonight ...... 7 goals in 8 games. 

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Croydon said:
    bobmunro said:
    Off_it said:
    esseffect said:
    mendonca said:
    J BLOCK said:
    According to a player Adkins barely says a word in the dressing room before the game or at half time.
    I can believe that. I think his coaching team were the tactical men and he was the Mr Motivator. In fact this has become crystal clear. 

The players won't play for Adkins because he has zero credibility - Adkins is laughing saying 'walking is great' but fuck all else while the players are laughing at him, not with him.

What credibility do the players have? Little pricks breaking rank, moaning, leaking line ups. And when they don't like the next manager? 'oh he's lost the dressing room' take 3.

Absolute arseholes.

Lineups was not a player. Well not a recent one 
    You mean the fat failed one? 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Croydon said:
    bobmunro said:
    Off_it said:
    esseffect said:
    mendonca said:
    J BLOCK said:

What credibility do the players have? Little pricks breaking rank, moaning, leaking line ups. And when they don't like the next manager? 'oh he's lost the dressing room' take 3.

Absolute arseholes.

I don't disagree.
    Stark contrast to what Deano was saying about Curbs assembling a squad of decent players with the right character
  • Options
    siblers said:
    Scoham said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Don’t want Jackson or Euell in the job, this is too critical now and we need an experienced head. 
    I’d argue that’s the last thing we need.

An experienced manager at this level means a “big name” like Adkins dropping down, or someone who’s been at this level for years and not made the step up.

Give JJ and Euell a few games to see if they get a reaction, if not bring in a good young manager on the way up.

Successful managers at this level tend to be younger. Maybe it’s fresh ideas, more drive to do well or finding it easier to relate to players? Whatever it is it works more often than the likes of Adkins and Slade stepping down and feeling like they’re doing us favour.
    Hard to know how much influence JJ has under Adkins but isn't he somewhat responsible for this mess too? 
    Partly, but Bowyer had very different ideas to Robinson. JJ can a go as caretaker and if it doesn’t work out get someone else in. It’s worth a gamble to see if he can turn it around.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Talal said:
    Talal said:
    I don't think there was a lack of effort out there (suggesting they weren't playing for the manager), they're just not good enough. 
    I think there's certainly some talent in our squad, I just personally think they are poorly managed and poorly coached. You can see that in so many aspects of our play - yes we manage to have some good spells, but overall I'd argue everytime team I've seen play us this season look more comfortable on the ball, and have better movement off it.
    I'd be surprised if another manager could get significant improvement from a number of them, especially the central midfielders. No matter who gets picked in that position they aren't good enough over 90 minutes and I don't see how a different manager could change that. That said we've got to try something as this clearly isn't working. 
    Disagree

a new manager will have a large squad to pick his best XI, and be consistent with them! 

4+ wingers to chose from, 3 or 4 strikers’ to chose from as well as a plethora of midfielders who can play centrally or within a diamond etc 

defence is dependant on the midfield - but 2 decent LBs to pick from, two poor right backs arguably, but with a set of good options centrally too! 

It’s about consistent teams, a clear game approach and proactive game play - none of which we have!
  • Options
    Bomb squad has to be Dobson, Kirk and DJ, all recent signings that have completely bombed and not in Adkins's plans seemingly
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Talal said:
    I don't think there was a lack of effort out there (suggesting they weren't playing for the manager), they're just not good enough. 
    I think there's certainly some talent in our squad, I just personally think they are poorly managed and poorly coached. You can see that in so many aspects of our play - yes we manage to have some good spells, but overall I'd argue everytime team I've seen play us this season look more comfortable on the ball, and have better movement off it.
    I'd be surprised if another manager could get significant improvement from a number of them, especially the central midfielders. No matter who gets picked in that position they aren't good enough over 90 minutes and I don't see how a different manager could change that. That said we've got to try something as this clearly isn't working. 
    We've invested to much in wingers, and it's not really football meta anymore so probably wouldn't work but I feel like a diamond of 

Lee,
    Gilbey, Clare
    Dobson

And then Stockley/Davison and Washington/Leko up front would certainly improve that aspect of our game. 

• Options
    sam3110 said:
    Bomb squad has to be Dobson, Kirk and DJ, all recent signings that have completely bombed and not in Adkins's plans seemingly
    To lack of inclusion of DJ and Kirk is baffling - especially when you’re desperate for a win! 

Said in the match thread, subs were telegraphed as soon as the team sheet came out - we knew what subs would be made! 

Kirk and DJ should have been like for like replacements for tiring leko and CBT , but being bombed out of the squad has stopped that
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    sammy391 said:
    Talal said:
    Talal said:
    Disagree

a new manager will have a large squad to pick his best XI, and be consistent with them! 

4+ wingers to chose from, 3 or 4 strikers’ to chose from as well as a plethora of midfielders who can play centrally or within a diamond etc 

defence is dependant on the midfield - but 2 decent LBs to pick from, two poor right backs arguably, but with a set of good options centrally too! 

It’s about consistent teams, a clear game approach and proactive game play - none of which we have!
    Plethora of below average central midfielders. 
  • Options
    esseffect said:
    I do actually think Adkins walks before being sacked. It’ll be like Bowyer. All wanting him out only to be replaced by someone worse.
    It’ll take some doing for the next person to get less than 6 points from 30.

JJ - "Hold my beer......"
  • Options
    Hopefully people on this website will now realise how poor Matthews is as a defender. He is OK going forward but 3 of the last 6 goals has been down to him showing his player inside rather than down the wing and they have scored 3 times and he was possibly at fault for two other goals , so many people on this website keep saying how great he is and hopefully they will now realise how wrong they are . There is a reason why so many Welsh managers have given Gunter over 100 caps and Matthews only 14 because a Right Back needs to be a defender first which clearly Matthews cannot do !!! Please wake up to the fact that Matthews cannot defend 
    No but I've realised that you know bugger all about football.
    Have you not noticed the lack of defensive cover from the midfield. None of them track runners, ever. It's difficult to defend when you've got at least two players coming towards you, time and time again.
    Matthews is infinitely better than Gunter. Whether he had been over the last ten years I don't know, but in a Charlton shirt he certainly has. 
  • Options
    That was the one, the one where you get a slight sinking feeling that we genuinely could be in a relegation battle, wait for it..

To the 4th tier.  

I’m ready to give up following football after that I really am.  Just, at a complete loss.
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:
    Someone saying on Facebook Adkins has walked ( ohh the irony) 
    Couldn't get any petrol for his car, I've also heard.

Asked someone for a lift after the game and they said "take that thumb out of your arse and stick it in the air".......he's still walking as we speak!
  • Options
    You have to laugh. How poor are those players! Talentless. 
    Worst Charlton team I’ve ever seen I thought but then I remembered 1979/80. So second worst!
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Hopefully people on this website will now realise how poor Matthews is as a defender. He is OK going forward but 3 of the last 6 goals has been down to him showing his player inside rather than down the wing and they have scored 3 times and he was possibly at fault for two other goals , so many people on this website keep saying how great he is and hopefully they will now realise how wrong they are . There is a reason why so many Welsh managers have given Gunter over 100 caps and Matthews only 14 because a Right Back needs to be a defender first which clearly Matthews cannot do !!! Please wake up to the fact that Matthews cannot defend 
    Yeah, I make you right except ...... all night long Matthews was overloaded 2-1.
    Why was that and why was it allowed to continue?

Even for the Bolton equaliser tonight, where was the midfielder supporting Matthews, covering the space and challenging?
    If that space is closed down, the Bolton goalscorer can't turn inside and shoot. Clare was already in the box, but surely he should have stepped forward and closed the space?

Any fullback will be vulnerable if he's exposed.

• Options
    Players who we need to ship out with the manager: Matthews, Gunter and Washington. Barker can't do worse at right back. Players who shouldn't be starting, Watson and Pearce.

Then work it out with what you have left.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Scoham said:
    siblers said:
    Scoham said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Don’t want Jackson or Euell in the job, this is too critical now and we need an experienced head. 
    I’d argue that’s the last thing we need.

An experienced manager at this level means a “big name” like Adkins dropping down, or someone who’s been at this level for years and not made the step up.

Give JJ and Euell a few games to see if they get a reaction, if not bring in a good young manager on the way up.

Successful managers at this level tend to be younger. Maybe it’s fresh ideas, more drive to do well or finding it easier to relate to players? Whatever it is it works more often than the likes of Adkins and Slade stepping down and feeling like they’re doing us favour.
    Hard to know how much influence JJ has under Adkins but isn't he somewhat responsible for this mess too? 
    Partly, but Bowyer had very different ideas to Robinson. JJ can a go as caretaker and if it doesn’t work out get someone else in. It’s worth a gamble to see if he can turn it around.

The problem there though is money, so we give JJ and Euell 15 games and we're still in the relegation zone, does Sandgaard then spend more money sacking them off and bringing in a whole new manager and coaching staff? 

Two rounds of payoffs and some new appointments, don't see that happening personally.