Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Bolton Wanderers | Tuesday 28th September 2021

Comments

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    esseffect said:
    I do actually think Adkins walks before being sacked. It’ll be like Bowyer. All wanting him out only to be replaced by someone worse.
    I know you were 100% behind Bowyer so what would you do now? 
    Honestly, I have no idea. I’m glad it’s not my decision. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    esseffect said:
    I do actually think Adkins walks before being sacked. It’ll be like Bowyer. All wanting him out only to be replaced by someone worse.
    I know you were 100% behind Bowyer so what would you do now? 
    I know I was much the same as well, but for me its as I mentioned earlier mate.

You just didnt see Lee Bowyer teams crumbling when we went behind, not on a consistent basis anyway as know there was the Blackpool and Hull games just to pick a couple - We saw a lot of comical errors at times (which werent funny) but thats how we'd concede rather than players pretending to go through the motions...

You'd have performances like the Rochdale game where our defending wasnt great but we'd still see a shift from them to get back into it, now we might as well just pack up and go home, the only time we've not done that was Saturday against Portsmouth which equally says a lot about them.

I get the whole, Williams and Maddison treatment in public, it was a step too far.

But comparing the players under the two Managers, it feels like Professional Footballers are little more than children, give them the nicey nice approach every time and they'll just take the piss out of you and you'll be ignored - Give them a bollocking once in and while and they'll know where they stand.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    We don't know how JJ or Euell will do but we do know that the owner and his team are clueless when it comes to appointing a manager so we are probably better off taking a punt on hoping either or both together can do it rather than appoint Adkins mark 2. 
  • Options
    Had a bloody long trip back from Snowdonia determined to get to the game. So wish I hadn't bothered. Nothing has changed from day one; second half in particular awful. Sorry, but NA has to go. Sandgaard also has to take a share of the blame. If we don't change this now, far from 'blowing the league out of the water' we're going to be involved in a relegation battle- one which we are demonstrably not adept at escaping. 
  • Options
    Undoes any of the few positives from Saturday, disgusting result.  
  • Options
    We don't know how JJ or Euell will do but we do know that the owner and his team are clueless when it comes to appointing a manager so we are probably better off taking a punt on hoping either or both together can do it rather than appoint Adkins mark 2. 
    We do not know this. There was potential for it to be a good appointment. It hasn't worked out. If they did fudge it again then we'll know they're clueless.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Croydon said:
    bobmunro said:
    Off_it said:
    esseffect said:
    mendonca said:
    J BLOCK said:
    According to a player Adkins barely says a word in the dressing room before the game or at half time.
    I can believe that. I think his coaching team were the tactical men and he was the Mr Motivator. In fact this has become crystal clear. 
    If players are doing that then they really need to stop pointing the finger. 

Whoever you know J Block sounds like a whingeing bastard  
    "The players" didn't like Bowyer either, did they?

Sounds like they don't like anyone much. Poor lambs.

The players stopped liking Bowyer when he started calling them out in public.

The players won't play for Adkins because he has zero credibility - Adkins is laughing saying 'walking is great' but fuck all else while the players are laughing at him, not with him.

That doesn't excuse the players by the way.
    What credibility do the players have? Little pricks breaking rank, moaning, leaking line ups. And when they don't like the next manager? 'oh he's lost the dressing room' take 3.

Absolute arseholes.

Lineups was not a player. Well not a recent one 
    You mean the fat failed one? 
    You'd think there'd be less of him, the amount he leaks
  • Options
    esseffect said:
    My worry is a new manager cannot do anything different. What can be done? 
    Errrrr.....shoot once in a while?
  • Options
    But if they don't change it you bring somebody in.
  • Options
    Big chance missed by Washington at 1-2 (the lob just past the near post). I like him and his off the ball movement but he needs a lot of chances.

Didn't look like our goalie made much of an effort for Bolton's first goal. Think he's got to save that one (he looked similarly suspect at Wycombe). But maybe I'm expecting too much from a Div 3 keeper. 
  • Options
    Hopefully people on this website will now realise how poor Matthews is as a defender. He is OK going forward but 3 of the last 6 goals has been down to him showing his player inside rather than down the wing and they have scored 3 times and he was possibly at fault for two other goals , so many people on this website keep saying how great he is and hopefully they will now realise how wrong they are . There is a reason why so many Welsh managers have given Gunter over 100 caps and Matthews only 14 because a Right Back needs to be a defender first which clearly Matthews cannot do !!! Please wake up to the fact that Matthews cannot defend 
    No but I've realised that you know bugger all about football.
    Have you not noticed the lack of defensive cover from the midfield. None of them track runners, ever. It's difficult to defend when you've got at least two players coming towards you, time and time again.
    Matthews is infinitely better than Gunter. Whether he had been over the last ten years I don't know, but in a Charlton shirt he certainly has. 
    Agree he is sometimes over run but on all the goals that he has been at fault at , it has been him on a 1 on 1 situation and he has let the player inside ,rather than showing him the line,  maybe you should listen to Brownie on the CAFC TV and he also blames Matthew - maybe he don’t know about football either -even though he played in the premiership!! 
  • Options
    Sandgaard and Adkins have one thing in common, they both give a David Brentish impression, nice enough guys but no steel. Sandgaard did not fire Bowyer even when things were going badly and Adkins is full of bs, I find his Together Everyone Achieves More comment in every programme particularly Brentish. It would not surprise me if the players feel the same.
    Get someone in to manage who will give the players what for, not hippyish motivational blather.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    siblers said:
    Scoham said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Don’t want Jackson or Euell in the job, this is too critical now and we need an experienced head. 
    I’d argue that’s the last thing we need.

An experienced manager at this level means a “big name” like Adkins dropping down, or someone who’s been at this level for years and not made the step up.

Give JJ and Euell a few games to see if they get a reaction, if not bring in a good young manager on the way up.

Successful managers at this level tend to be younger. Maybe it’s fresh ideas, more drive to do well or finding it easier to relate to players? Whatever it is it works more often than the likes of Adkins and Slade stepping down and feeling like they’re doing us favour.
    Hard to know how much influence JJ has under Adkins but isn't he somewhat responsible for this mess too? 
    Partly, but Bowyer had very different ideas to Robinson. JJ can a go as caretaker and if it doesn’t work out get someone else in. It’s worth a gamble to see if he can turn it around.

The problem there though is money, so we give JJ and Euell 15 games and we're still in the relegation zone, does Sandgaard then spend more money sacking them off and bringing in a whole new manager and coaching staff? 

Two rounds of payoffs and some new appointments, don't see that happening personally. 

When I said caretaker I meant 1-3 games, no reason to give them a guaranteed 15 games.
  • Options
    Clare did well for 40 minutes. Maybe fitness was an issue.
  • Options
    Hopefully people on this website will now realise how poor Matthews is as a defender. He is OK going forward but 3 of the last 6 goals has been down to him showing his player inside rather than down the wing and they have scored 3 times and he was possibly at fault for two other goals , so many people on this website keep saying how great he is and hopefully they will now realise how wrong they are . There is a reason why so many Welsh managers have given Gunter over 100 caps and Matthews only 14 because a Right Back needs to be a defender first which clearly Matthews cannot do !!! Please wake up to the fact that Matthews cannot defend 
    No but I've realised that you know bugger all about football.
    Have you not noticed the lack of defensive cover from the midfield. None of them track runners, ever. It's difficult to defend when you've got at least two players coming towards you, time and time again.
    Matthews is infinitely better than Gunter. Whether he had been over the last ten years I don't know, but in a Charlton shirt he certainly has. 
    Agree he is sometimes over run but on all the goals that he has been at fault at , it has been him on a 1 on 1 situation and he has let the player inside ,rather than showing him the line,  maybe you should listen to Brownie on the CAFC TV and he also blames Matthew - maybe he don’t know about football either -even though he played in the premiership!! 
    He did play in the Premier League but he does also talk some shit. As much as I loved him as a player I can't stand him as a co-commentator. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    esseffect said:
    watching the Quest highlights on Saturday evening .. some superb goals banged in from distance by L1 and L2 players .. seems our lot are too stupid, frightened or don't have the energy to give the ball a right good belt at goal from 20+ yards ;. both frustrating and worrying (for me that is)
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Players coming across as petulant if what being discussed is true. One thing thinking it/discussing it with your team mates. It’s another thing leaking it to fans/mates. Complete lack of professionalism and just feeds in to that line of this squad of players (not all) being unlikable. Squad needed a fresh start this season but it didn’t happen. 
  • Options
    Just back from injury.
  • Options
    esseffect said:
    Ahhh yea of course. NA forgot to tell them to shoot. 3 points incoming 
  • Options
    I thought lumping long balls towards Bolton’s hulking centre backs (who made Leko look short and could realistically play basketball 🏀) was an inspired tactical approach.

5 points from 9 games - bye bye 👋 Nige - it’s been emotional.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Just back from injury.
    Probably shouldn't have started then, alongside a relative geriatric!
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    stonemuse said:
    I’m naturally optimistic and I saw no point in sacking a manager this soon … but do you know what? … he has lost the dressing room and lost the fans … just walk away Nigel, you are destroying us 

That is an absolute fact.
    Care to elaborate? or is it your own feelings.
  • Options
    CAFCOlly said:
    Players coming across as petulant if what being discussed is true. One thing thinking it/discussing it with your team mates. It’s another thing leaking it to fans/mates. Complete lack of professionalism and just feeds in to that line of this squad of players (not all) being unlikable. Squad needed a fresh start but it didn’t happen. 
    Considering the whole panic buying of toilet paper and petrol will tell you that we are genuinely weird as a human race, and the fact whenever a football team performs poorly you often hear the same thing, I'd probably argue that some people are being very liberal with the truth for whatever reason they feel necessary. 
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

Didn't look like our goalie made much of an effort for Bolton's first goal. Think he's got to save that one (he looked similarly suspect at Wycombe). But maybe I'm expecting too much from a Div 3 keeper. 
    That shot came through a ruck of players. I doubt the keeper didn't see it until too late.