Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Bolton Wanderers | Tuesday 28th September 2021

Comments

• Options
    Adkins is the managerial equivalent of someone like Harry Arter. He's older, but not that old. He's been all the way to Premier League, but now he's at Charlton in League One when there should still be life in his career. Why is that? It's because his career is only heading in one direction.

All the Mr Nice Guy stuff, it might work on some but I found it a bit cringe from the first interview he gave for us. Give me Bowyer's grumpy realism any day of the week - at least he came across as honest. I can 100% believe the players are laughing at him now results aren't going well because he comes across as having very little credibility.
    I know tonight's not the night for ''told you so".......

But I did say I hated the faux positivity that was posted every fecking morning. No, not every day is happy, bright & cheerful. I wonder of Adkins will be posting his usual cheerful bollox tomorrow....?
  • Options
    Adkins is the managerial equivalent of someone like Harry Arter. He's older, but not that old. He's been all the way to Premier League, but now he's at Charlton in League One when there should still be life in his career. Why is that? It's because his career is only heading in one direction.

All the Mr Nice Guy stuff, it might work on some but I found it a bit cringe from the first interview he gave for us. Give me Bowyer's grumpy realism any day of the week - at least he came across as honest. I can 100% believe the players are laughing at him now results aren't going well because he comes across as having very little credibility.
    And the vast majority of our players have very little credibility.
    They are third division players who have done f*** all atm.
  • Options
    The cries of "I don't think anyone can possibly come in here and change things" is absolutely potty. Just needs a manager who can motivate, nominate his captain who will ensure EVERYONE on the pitch knows who is the leader and who is the boss and this squad will rise. It is a perfectly good enough squad. It's just run by fannies at the moment. 

TS, wield the axe. And make it snappy. I have to say, just hearing Curbs on Charlton TV each week makes me think he really should consider having another shot. He brings instant identity (huge problem at the club) connects past and present. Is a really grounding presence and clearly still has the spark and the nous to do something. If TS is unsure it fits his 5 year plan to conquer Europe (!!) He could at least give him this season to steady the ship. 
    If TS gets this one wrong it could end up being another Dowie, Les Reed, Pardew, Parkinson fiasco...

• Options
    3.20 am and still fuming. 
    Fuck off Charlton 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Oggy Red said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Hopefully people on this website will now realise how poor Matthews is as a defender. He is OK going forward but 3 of the last 6 goals has been down to him showing his player inside rather than down the wing and they have scored 3 times and he was possibly at fault for two other goals , so many people on this website keep saying how great he is and hopefully they will now realise how wrong they are . There is a reason why so many Welsh managers have given Gunter over 100 caps and Matthews only 14 because a Right Back needs to be a defender first which clearly Matthews cannot do !!! Please wake up to the fact that Matthews cannot defend 
    No but I've realised that you know bugger all about football.
    Have you not noticed the lack of defensive cover from the midfield. None of them track runners, ever. It's difficult to defend when you've got at least two players coming towards you, time and time again.
    Matthews is infinitely better than Gunter. Whether he had been over the last ten years I don't know, but in a Charlton shirt he certainly has. 
    Not quite right. Watch the replay of their first goal and you'll see Leko sprinting back to mark the wide player. So what does Matthews do?  Partly cover the wide player anyway, which shows Afolayan inside, allowing him to shoot (and score). That's two weeks in a row he's backed off allowing a player to score. Sorry, he's not really good enough.
    Leko does run back, but where is the midfield cover?
    Matthews does show the player outside but the Bolton player does well to turn inside. Where was the cover inside? Just because you shown them the outside doesn't mean that that is where they will go. A proper defence will have cover in case the forward cuts inside. This team, defensively, is a shambles. 
    And Bolton's Afolayan has a reputation for cutting inside. That's what he does.

Surely our analysts and management team had picked up on that. The players would have been warned.
    People can blame Matthews but he should never have been left unsupported - the inside channel should have been closed off. Somebody else didn't do their job.

It's that switching off which costs us dearly.

As Adkins said, Alofayun cuts inside, that's what he does and they know about it. So it was pointed out to him and he didn't do it. He doesn't need another player with him there, all he has to do is show him outside, it's so basic.

Matthews will continue to cost us goals this season, it's criminal that his replacement is even worse.
  • Options
    The cries of "I don't think anyone can possibly come in here and change things" is absolutely potty. Just needs a manager who can motivate, nominate his captain who will ensure EVERYONE on the pitch knows who is the leader and who is the boss and this squad will rise. It is a perfectly good enough squad. It's just run by fannies at the moment. 

TS, wield the axe. And make it snappy. I have to say, just hearing Curbs on Charlton TV each week makes me think he really should consider having another shot. He brings instant identity (huge problem at the club) connects past and present. Is a really grounding presence and clearly still has the spark and the nous to do something. If TS is unsure it fits his 5 year plan to conquer Europe (!!) He could at least give him this season to steady the ship. 
    If TS gets this one wrong it could end up being another Dowie, Les Reed, Pardew, Parkinson fiasco...

Giving Curbishley a go is not the answer.
    Why's that then? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think we have good players; they are not managed very well and there doesn’t seem to be a defensive strategy. We seem all at sea every time the opposition attack. I really thought that we would win last night given the first half an hour. So the disappointment is far more crushing. You cannot continue like this.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Oggy Red said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Hopefully people on this website will now realise how poor Matthews is as a defender. He is OK going forward but 3 of the last 6 goals has been down to him showing his player inside rather than down the wing and they have scored 3 times and he was possibly at fault for two other goals , so many people on this website keep saying how great he is and hopefully they will now realise how wrong they are . There is a reason why so many Welsh managers have given Gunter over 100 caps and Matthews only 14 because a Right Back needs to be a defender first which clearly Matthews cannot do !!! Please wake up to the fact that Matthews cannot defend 
    No but I've realised that you know bugger all about football.
    Have you not noticed the lack of defensive cover from the midfield. None of them track runners, ever. It's difficult to defend when you've got at least two players coming towards you, time and time again.
    Matthews is infinitely better than Gunter. Whether he had been over the last ten years I don't know, but in a Charlton shirt he certainly has. 
    Not quite right. Watch the replay of their first goal and you'll see Leko sprinting back to mark the wide player. So what does Matthews do?  Partly cover the wide player anyway, which shows Afolayan inside, allowing him to shoot (and score). That's two weeks in a row he's backed off allowing a player to score. Sorry, he's not really good enough.
    Leko does run back, but where is the midfield cover?
    Matthews does show the player outside but the Bolton player does well to turn inside. Where was the cover inside? Just because you shown them the outside doesn't mean that that is where they will go. A proper defence will have cover in case the forward cuts inside. This team, defensively, is a shambles. 
    And Bolton's Afolayan has a reputation for cutting inside. That's what he does.

Surely our analysts and management team had picked up on that. The players would have been warned.
    People can blame Matthews but he should never have been left unsupported - the inside channel should have been closed off. Somebody else didn't do their job.

It's that switching off which costs us dearly.

As Adkins said, Alofayun cuts inside, that's what he does and they know about it. So it was pointed out to him and he didn't do it. He doesn't need another player with him there, all he has to do is show him outside, it's so basic.

Matthews will continue to cost us goals this season, it's criminal that his replacement is even worse.
    Too easy to simply cut inside and compounded by no midfield cover (Clare). Defensive lapses at pathetic levels every week. This shouldn't be happening. Somebody mentioned the Washington chance not being that easy. The point is, he is a shoe in to f*ing miss it. He does it too often. 

We started fine then the gaps between defence, midfield and attack get bigger. If this is fitness, we are virtually in f*ing October. It just isn't good enough and prolonging sacking Adkins is prolonging the inevitable although I doubt it is solely his fault. The structure looks wrong. Too complicated like Murray's super plan after Curbs. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    The BBC had Charlton's line up as four four two, totally incorrect it was basically four three three. Adkins has persisted with his chosen formation in most games and that system has left us second from bottom. Mathews was at fault for the first goal but there was no covering player, I keep hearing on here that Mathews or Gunter are bad players but time and time again they are left one on one. If he lines up the same way again on Saturday they will lose again, they are far too open and easy to get at. 
  • Options
    The look on pearce’s face at the end looking at Adkins said it all for me. It was like your fucked now mate. 
    People saying we played well yes we did but not well enough for all Adkins says how he wants to play attacking football with 3 up front. 
    The end result was 2 shots on target. 
    So for all that we end up wide open at the back with 3 players doing nothing defensively up top to create 2 shots on target. 
    Can’t work out how our 2 main signings are now out the team million pound wasted did Adkins want these players or not. Stockley is never going to fit into his system of play so why have we got him. 
    All the slagging of purrington he is our best full back he gets tight and when he got beat he brought his main down without getting cautioned. Really need Matthew’s to do this now. But I agree with people our wide players are giving them no cover. 
    I’d be tempted to play double full backs temporarily how bad we look at defending at moment. Let’s concentrate on not conceding at moment because for all our attacking 2 shots on target ain’t going to win you a match. 
    We need to have a team set up where if we ain’t in possession we have 8 defenders not seven like we have now. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Slept on it. Yep that was crap. Bolton supporting mate in the away end said we were the better team first half, but the frailties were there and we just collapsed when their 2nd went in. Some of the players come out of that with credit. I'm now in the Adkins out camp - it's the only thing we've got left that can be done. However short a new manager bounce is, it might get us out of the drop zone. Can anyone outside of Adkins and Sandgaard see this getting better?

Being rained on and drenched by a bus going along Woolwich Rd going through a puddle weren't the worst parts of last night. 

• Options
    edited September 2021
    CAFCOlly said:
    Players coming across as petulant if what being discussed is true. One thing thinking it/discussing it with your team mates. It’s another thing leaking it to fans/mates. Complete lack of professionalism and just feeds in to that line of this squad of players (not all) being unlikable. Squad needed a fresh start but it didn’t happen. 
    Considering the whole panic buying of toilet paper and petrol will tell you that we are genuinely weird as a human race, and the fact whenever a football team performs poorly you often hear the same thing, I'd probably argue that some people are being very liberal with the truth for whatever reason they feel necessary. 
    It's an internet forum. People chat shite in real life so behind a keyboard they can make up any silly old bollox. The rumours thread was case in point with some players said to have signed when they hadn't even talked to the club.

I take everything a person supposedly ITK says with a large pinch of salt.
  • Options
    Just when I thought it couldn't be more depressing, take a look at the other League 1 scores and see the teams that recently beat us get smashed. 

Then see that Bonne has scored 7 in 8. Oh how smug we all were about our great bit of business. Maybe lets say that again sitting in the relegation zone of L1.
  • Options
    It is so easy for oppo managers to work us out.Our entire threat lies around CBT,when he tires ,thats it,threat gone,we should have at least one winger on the bench,Kirk,DJ,Cleyden to come on and continue pressing CBT s full back.We are suckers for the "showing inside" game,how many times now has it cost us,if the FB has instructions to show inside,there has to be someone covering the run,they got 2 goals last night from this situation and had other attempts,after saturday,did no one sit down and look at the Video and identify a problem,I am dumbfounded.It doesnt really happen on our left as the cover seems tighter.Our defence as a unit is a sieve,and getting worse,players just are not working together,there is no pace back there,personally,somehow I would put Deji,or Barker in to inject a bit off life,they cant do any worse.
  • Options
    I have never been in the know or contributed anything of importance relating to football on this site because I don't know enough about it and many have LOLd me. Well it seems I was right as I still know f*** all
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Adkins has to go but this squad isn't as good as some people seem to think. Think it will be tough for whoever has the job. 
    I think this squad is shite - there is very little quality across the squad