Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Bolton Wanderers | Tuesday 28th September 2021

Comments

• Options
    While not wishing to make excuses, I do wonder what impact the appalling weather had in that. Lots of goals going in at other games in League 1 last night.
  • Options
    I haven't read the other comments, going the stats is enough!

It was bad enough losing 1-4 but it was made worse by the fact the we started so well and played some attractive attacking football combined with good defending then it all went bad. I started watching NA's interview on CTV and just gave up and turned it off - pitiful!
  • Options
    Elliot Lee looks a luxury player, don't rate him - spends most of the game on the floor
    No that was Jonny Williams!
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Even if you get fit in pre-season, you still need 'match fitness' which comes early in the competitive season. Chopping and changing players every game wont achieve that. So after 10 games we are now behind on other teams even more.
    I'll defend Nigel on this one.  I don't think it's out of choice.

At the start of the season we all knew what the team was, and that it wasn't good enough.  Kirk came in and filled an obvious gap.  Clare got a knock. To everyone's surprise Inniss got injured. He has played, basically the same formation in all bar 2 games he has been our manager for.

Gilbey, Arter, both left backs, Leko, Lee, CBT, Clare now aren't for different reasons match fit.  That's a lot of players who need managing.  I think 4 or 5 of them would probably be in everyone's, including Nigle's, "best team". 

Even more worrying for me is that Stockley and Famewo, who we were almost all pleased to get back, don't look like the same players at all we had last year.  That's 2 more changes I don't think he would have made out if choice. 
  • Options
    Ben18 said:
    The score line don’t really reflect the game .. first half we were excellent best home performance of the season .. our movement was good … then a bad mistake by the ref for their goal McG clearly had a player in an offside position in his eye line and it’s 1-1 .. totally undeserved by Bolton .. second half again end to end very even game looked like a draw .. then a deflected effort finds its way into our goal .. straight down the other end and we are centimetres from going 2-2 with Washington lob ( that goes in if your top of the league ) … Late on a third and another offside goal for the 4th … 

but it far far from a poor performance and like Gillingham , Pompey we showed we can play but we need a little luck to go our way a d the right decisions made by officials 

Come on then, lets have a laugh,

"then a bad mistake by the ref for their goal McG clearly had a player in an offside position in his eye line and it’s 1-1"

The player that jumps over the ball is a good yard onside, as shown below.

"deflected effort finds its way into our goal"

It's a free shot from 12 yards out. The angle on the replay showed it was heading for the other corner, so going in regardless.

"another offside goal for the 4th"

You can see from the cut of the grass, that Lavelle is playing the Bolton player onside comfortably.

I though the referee was poor, for what its worth. But not particularly in either team's favour.
    Bang on - I watched the goals on Sky last night and was freezing the screen to see whether they were bad decisions, and low and behold they were perfectly ok goals 
    The top one every single Charlton player in the frame is out of position.  That is shocking by any standards. 

The bottom one is slightly more forgivable in that we were chasing the game but again the whole back line is out of position. 
  • Options
    If we bring in a new manager for gods sake TS needs to back him and get rid of advisors. If the players think that the manager doesn't have the final say they will be less likely to take him seriously.
  • Options
    If we bring in a new manager for gods sake TS needs to back him and get rid of advisors. If the players think that the manager doesn't have the final say they will be less likely to take him seriously.
    You can extend that beyond the players as well. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    kentred2 said:
    Another thing to note I think is the lack of quality players that have come through the academy in recent years. Only Davison in last night’s squad and though he works hard he’s not what we are used to. 
    It is things like that which are a hangover from the Duchatalet nightmare that Sandgaard has to fight with. 
    This in spades. 
  • Options
    PWR as its all too painful! We are such a fragile side its a joke! Once that 2nd went in we were fucked. No lack of effort in the first hour but then we just fell apart and gave up. Mightily pissed off still. Can't believe Nige is still in a job today tbh. Was saying after the game that we need a sergeant major type manager to whip this lot into shape, even if its just a short term deal. We are in real danger of getting relegated I fear. Tommy needs to act fast.
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:
    PWR as its all too painful! We are such a fragile side its a joke! Once that 2nd went in we were fucked. No lack of effort in the first hour but then we just fell apart and gave up. Mightily pissed off still. Can't believe Nige is still in a job today tbh. Was saying after the game that we need a sergeant major type manager to whip this lot into shape, even if its just a short term deal. We are in real danger of getting relegated I fear. Tommy needs to act fast.
    We don't need this, we need a lord of doom. We need John Yems
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Ben18 said:
    The score line don’t really reflect the game .. first half we were excellent best home performance of the season .. our movement was good … then a bad mistake by the ref for their goal McG clearly had a player in an offside position in his eye line and it’s 1-1 .. totally undeserved by Bolton .. second half again end to end very even game looked like a draw .. then a deflected effort finds its way into our goal .. straight down the other end and we are centimetres from going 2-2 with Washington lob ( that goes in if your top of the league ) … Late on a third and another offside goal for the 4th … 

but it far far from a poor performance and like Gillingham , Pompey we showed we can play but we need a little luck to go our way a d the right decisions made by officials 

Come on then, lets have a laugh,

"then a bad mistake by the ref for their goal McG clearly had a player in an offside position in his eye line and it’s 1-1"

The player that jumps over the ball is a good yard onside, as shown below.

"deflected effort finds its way into our goal"

It's a free shot from 12 yards out. The angle on the replay showed it was heading for the other corner, so going in regardless.

"another offside goal for the 4th"

You can see from the cut of the grass, that Lavelle is playing the Bolton player onside comfortably.

I though the referee was poor, for what its worth. But not particularly in either team's favour.
    Bang on - I watched the goals on Sky last night and was freezing the screen to see whether they were bad decisions, and low and behold they were perfectly ok goals 
    The top one every single Charlton player in the frame is out of position.  That is shocking by any standards. 

The bottom one is slightly more forgivable in that we were chasing the game but again the whole back line is out of position. 
    Couldn't agree more.  Neither were remotely close calls (seeing the players arms flailing around protesting was just embarassing!), and what worries me more is that these are the basics.  It smacks of lack of effort, focus, and professionalism........like so many of the goals we're conceding.

Yes, some of our issues are down to coaching or a formation and style of play that is beyond our playing staff, but the ability to perform the basics of football sits squarely with the players.  In a World where criticism is fast-becoming a dirty word, they need to man the fuck up, take some personal pride, and do their jobs.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">We protested when we lost our home, when we were called customers, when crooks stole from us, when our club was at risk. Tonight was utterly abysmal and something has to change, but protesting an owner&#39;s decision not to sack a manager ten games in is not the one, in my opinion. <a href="https://t.co/7rTyGt7kmS">https://t.co/7rTyGt7kmS</a></p>&mdash; Lauren Kreamer (@LaurenKreamer) <a href="">September 28, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    I make her right
    definitely - embarrassing to be protesting after 10 games 
  • Options
    robroy said:
    All this talk of another protest smacks of a toddlers tantrum to me. 

We can’t keep bloody protesting every time we get a run of bad results. It’s embarrassing on and off the pitch. Some of the drivel and venom I’ve read on Twitter is sickening. People being very abusive to TS. 

As for last night I opted to save my £10 and read the match thread. Having watched the highlights it’s the basics yet again we fail to do in defence. 

The middle of the park is a stroll. 

The alarm bells should have rang for everyone when Morgan was given the number 10.

“All this talk”? It’s just a bloke with a meaningless Twitter handle who is so in touch with events that he doesn’t even know Rotherham is an international weekend. Laughable. 

Sandgaard, of all people, knows what the fans are saying. I don’t personally see any point in giving Adkins Fleetwood, but I’d sack him regardless of the result. This structure doesn’t work - too many mistakes in the window, too many mistakes on the pitch. Results will bring it down. It’s only a question of when.
    So if its the structure (and not disagreeing necessarily) - why will getting rid of NA work? Aren't you  suggesting the way TS /GR/NA work is the root issue and hence until that set up changes any new manager will also fail?

Change the structure and not the manager maybe?
    I think Adkins has lost all credibility and that won’t just be with the fans. Replacing him may not work, but I think it’s more likely to work than more of the same. We need to bring in someone who can call the shots and is in charge, accountable only to the owner. There’s no role for someone sitting in the background whispering in Sandgaard’s ear, especially if they don’t have a background in club management.
    I think (I don't know) that TS may believe he needs to be strong and NOT sack him & try to promote the long term stability line. But it depends on who else (apart from GR) is whispering in his ear and may validate that the players have lost faith in NA.

Potentially GR is advising to do nothing as he helped identify NA and it reflects on him too?
    absolutely - thing is, i've not heard anybody have a good word about Roddy (admittedly the sample isn't massive) and there isn't normally no smoke without fire - he is as also as wedded to the formation as Adkins is - i'm in the curbs /powell camp and turf out adkins and roddy - black box, database, 433, structure this hollowed out that - load of bollox - good manager
    have players wrapped round them or players they know they want - how many players has adkins brought in that he has worked with previously? how many of his staff has he brought in? Get Curbs in and get Powell in and lets turf the theory man out and adkins who is barely a manager at our club - more a figurehead for some sort of coaching / physio school 
  • Options
    how long did it take bolton to turn things around and get better than us? 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    YTS1978 said:
    We don't need this, we need a lord of doom. We need John Yems
    Haha...lord of doom! Yes, I've revised my opinion,  Yems In!!!
  • Options
    How about trashing every last one of em,  you know the "stalwarts", the "legends", because we have been shit for a while now.

Go out and find footballing people who wouldn't know how to spell Chalton (geddit?) AND knock the community, SISSS on the head.  Bastards win football matches!

Grrrr!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    bobmunro said:
    I think the saddest thing is I've never been less interested in Charlton. Barely even got a reaction from me when they started thumping us. Couldn't even be bothered to go last night I just stayed at home. Fallen out of love with football massively, never thought I'd say that.
    I went through what you are feeling during the Dowie season - took a few years to get the passion back I can tell you…..
    I left during early part of Chris Powell reign- Gary Doherty did a back header that striker ran on to and scored- and I didn't go back until Taylor-Grant combo  linked up. Missed the whole Powell promotion season- if it doesn't bring you joy get rid
    and I still don't regret missing it.
    Still signed in for the moment......
    That can be said for many things in life, but regrettably not when it comes to the life long supporting of a football club. It is impossible to 'get rid' even though the thought very briefly crossed my mind at about 10.00pm last night.
    A moment of weakness @bobmunro.  We forgive you.

We almost didn't get there last night ... no petrol and a long trip from the Hertfordshire/Cambridgeshire borders.

But my lad came up trumps.  I am the World's worst car passenger, but a powerful sedative and a decent journey meant that we got to The Valley in good time.

We then got soaked, and thoroughly miserable.  The car steamed up on the return journey and we plodded Northwards over partially-flooded roads.  The final part of our trip home involved a detour due to road closures and a furtive scurry down country lanes and forgotten by-ways.

My lad got home well after midnight.

But I'm glad we were there.  For those who us who love this Club ... while results like last night's break our hearts ... being there is part of what it is all about.

Shared pain ... but we will enjoy the good times (for there will be good times) all the more for nights like last night.

I have endured this feeling a hundred times before ... maybe a thousand times before.  But I don't care.  I'm glad that we made it last night.

And I am glad that this is my Club and that my lads were there with me.
    I was having some personal reflections after returning home last night too and thought that despite the dirge we've been served up so far this season, I know I will still have the excitement that I've had since I was 8 years old for our next home game, and the one after that, regardless of the results and performances on the pitch, the same that I have for every game.
  • Options
    The most depressing stat is we have been in Division 1 in 8 of the last 13 seasons. Will be 9 in 14 this time next year, if we can avoid relegation. 

I wish we’d been in Division 1 in 8 of the last 13 seasons! 
  • Options
    While not wishing to make excuses, I do wonder what impact the appalling weather had in that. Lots of goals going in at other games in League 1 last night.
    I think typically bad weather means fewer goals. I researched it a while back as I'd gotten from £20 to £220 betting on there being 1+ goal in games, then lost it all due to a wet & windy 0-0 in Barnsley.

I reckon Adkins will be gone if we don't win on Saturday.
  • Options
    I need to find that post where someone listed the amount of goals they thought players would score this season. 

Hilarious in hindsight. Think Stockley was over 20, Washington over 10. Morgan with 5+. 
  • Options
    PWR

Watched it on Charlton TV. For 30 minutes or so we were excellent, fashioning a really good goal to take the lead, and then gradually melted away in what has become typical Charlton fashion.

I would gladly take 5th from bottom now, ie avoidance of relegation, as I am seriouly beginning to wonder if there are 4 worse teams than us in this division.

It was interesting listening to Curbs and Deano last night. I found myself wishing Curbs was at the helm in one way but would not wish his legacy to be tarnished by the shower of shit presently masquerading as Charlton Athletic.

I reckon @oohaahmortimer will include relegation (21st to 24th) in his percentages this week.
  • Options
    Why all the gloom?

Thomas set Nigel the goal of getting us out of league one within two seasons. It's looking like Nigel will achieve that in half the time.

Onwards and, erm...how does the rest of that go? 
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Big chance missed by Washington at 1-2 (the lob just past the near post). I like him and his off the ball movement but he needs a lot of chances.

Didn't look like our goalie made much of an effort for Bolton's first goal. Think he's got to save that one (he looked similarly suspect at Wycombe). But maybe I'm expecting too much from a Div 3 keeper. 
    Deano explained that on Charlton TV. He said the keeper was watching the Bolton player between the goalscorer and the goal in case he deflected it. Hence the late movement.