Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Bolton Wanderers | Tuesday 28th September 2021

Comments

• Options
    Left at 3-1, dlr were cancelled.. bus to Greenwich, cab to London Bridge and now a train hitchin. Add to that I'm piss wet through and it's been a shitshow of an evening all round. 
  • Options
    As Deano said on the half time commentary, the reaction was delayed because of the player that jumped over the ball.
  • Options
    CAFCOlly said:
    Players coming across as petulant if what being discussed is true. One thing thinking it/discussing it with your team mates. It’s another thing leaking it to fans/mates. Complete lack of professionalism and just feeds in to that line of this squad of players (not all) being unlikable. Squad needed a fresh start but it didn’t happen. 
    Considering the whole panic buying of toilet paper and petrol will tell you that we are genuinely weird as a human race, and the fact whenever a football team performs poorly you often hear the same thing, I'd probably argue that some people are being very liberal with the truth for whatever reason they feel necessary. 
    Wouldn’t be at all surprised! Hope you’re right. 

• Options
    Adkins seems clueless but he aint the only problem. Absolutely no faith in this team if he goes anyway
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    That’s twice you’ve said that tonight. Can you elaborate at all?

Sorry, no - but I know for a fact he has, and it's happened before with him.

@bobmunro Posted without getting to the next couple of pages and seeing your reply to @Uboat about the same question as mine. 

Sorry for that, take your point of reply.   
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sums it up.

• Options
    Fear not, Gunter will be back in on Saturday 
  • Options
    Someone needs to destroy the black box, the recruitment has been woeful. 
  • Options
    Every time the oppositon cross it they look like scoring, why don't our full backs ever get forward and put a ball in?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    siblers said:
    Scoham said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Don’t want Jackson or Euell in the job, this is too critical now and we need an experienced head. 
    I’d argue that’s the last thing we need.

An experienced manager at this level means a “big name” like Adkins dropping down, or someone who’s been at this level for years and not made the step up.

Give JJ and Euell a few games to see if they get a reaction, if not bring in a good young manager on the way up.

Successful managers at this level tend to be younger. Maybe it’s fresh ideas, more drive to do well or finding it easier to relate to players? Whatever it is it works more often than the likes of Adkins and Slade stepping down and feeling like they’re doing us favour.
    Hard to know how much influence JJ has under Adkins but isn't he somewhat responsible for this mess too? 
    Partly, but Bowyer had very different ideas to Robinson. JJ can a go as caretaker and if it doesn’t work out get someone else in. It’s worth a gamble to see if he can turn it around.

The problem there though is money, so we give JJ and Euell 15 games and we're still in the relegation zone, does Sandgaard then spend more money sacking them off and bringing in a whole new manager and coaching staff? 

Two rounds of payoffs and some new appointments, don't see that happening personally. 

When I said caretaker I meant 1-3 games, no reason to give them a guaranteed 15 games.

But what if that's what the fans want?  Already singing JJ's red and white army.

You said yourself the reason he didn't get shot of Bowyer was because of fan support. Would it be any different with them in charge? If they're appointed permanently or as caretakers they'll get the fan support and a lot more time. What if it goes wrong?

What if the next appointment, is, say Wilder, is he going to come in with JJ and Euell as his coaches? Will he want his own? If he wants his own will Sandgaard pay for them, and keep JJ and Euell on the payroll? 
  • Options
    LTKapal said:
    I joked at the time on the match thread ‘60 minutes up. Jonny Williams and Chuks Aneke about to come on’.

I honestly think there’s a chance we would have won if that had happened!
    Although I agree, Lee is an upgrade on Williams, one of the few positives. 
    I really like Elliott Lee, think he’s a real intelligent player 
    Yep - he’s good at this level - and I also think we will see a superb player in Clare when fully fit - his movement and control is good, but he isn’t fully fit yet

And whilst we have some positive comments, on what is largely a depressing thread (understandably) we need to secure CBT long term - I also hope that Leko’s knee hasn’t gone on him, if only for the lads career 
  • Options
    Hopefully people on this website will now realise how poor Matthews is as a defender. He is OK going forward but 3 of the last 6 goals has been down to him showing his player inside rather than down the wing and they have scored 3 times and he was possibly at fault for two other goals , so many people on this website keep saying how great he is and hopefully they will now realise how wrong they are . There is a reason why so many Welsh managers have given Gunter over 100 caps and Matthews only 14 because a Right Back needs to be a defender first which clearly Matthews cannot do !!! Please wake up to the fact that Matthews cannot defend 
    No but I've realised that you know bugger all about football.
    Have you not noticed the lack of defensive cover from the midfield. None of them track runners, ever. It's difficult to defend when you've got at least two players coming towards you, time and time again.
    Matthews is infinitely better than Gunter. Whether he had been over the last ten years I don't know, but in a Charlton shirt he certainly has. 
    Agree he is sometimes over run but on all the goals that he has been at fault at , it has been him on a 1 on 1 situation and he has let the player inside ,rather than showing him the line,  maybe you should listen to Brownie on the CAFC TV and he also blames Matthew - maybe he don’t know about football either -even though he played in the premiership!! 
    He did play in the Premier League but he does also talk some shit. As much as I loved him as a player I can't stand him as a co-commentator. 
    Pleased to hear that you also know more about football than him or anyone else that comments on here . Did not realise that you played at premiership level as you seem to know better than anyone else . 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Hopefully people on this website will now realise how poor Matthews is as a defender. He is OK going forward but 3 of the last 6 goals has been down to him showing his player inside rather than down the wing and they have scored 3 times and he was possibly at fault for two other goals , so many people on this website keep saying how great he is and hopefully they will now realise how wrong they are . There is a reason why so many Welsh managers have given Gunter over 100 caps and Matthews only 14 because a Right Back needs to be a defender first which clearly Matthews cannot do !!! Please wake up to the fact that Matthews cannot defend 
    No but I've realised that you know bugger all about football.
    Have you not noticed the lack of defensive cover from the midfield. None of them track runners, ever. It's difficult to defend when you've got at least two players coming towards you, time and time again.
    Matthews is infinitely better than Gunter. Whether he had been over the last ten years I don't know, but in a Charlton shirt he certainly has. 
    Not quite right. Watch the replay of their first goal and you'll see Leko sprinting back to mark the wide player. So what does Matthews do?  Partly cover the wide player anyway, which shows Afolayan inside, allowing him to shoot (and score). That's two weeks in a row he's backed off allowing a player to score. Sorry, he's not really good enough.
    Leko does run back, but where is the midfield cover?
    Matthews does show the player outside but the Bolton player does well to turn inside. Where was the cover inside? Just because you shown them the outside doesn't mean that that is where they will go. A proper defence will have cover in case the forward cuts inside. This team, defensively, is a shambles. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Sums it up.

Wally with no Brolly.