Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Match Thread: Lincoln City vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 16th October 2021

Comments

• Options
    Croydon said:
    Maccn05 said:
    There’s a rumour on Twitter today saying DJ told Adkins to go for a walk… if that’s the case he’s already lost the room or at least their respect 
    These players are cunts if that's the truth. So unprofessional, hate the lot of them. Adkins is underperforming hugely but so are they, and they did the same under Bowyer.
    Also and I know people are gonna view this view with contempt but what if the rumours of no promotion bonuses and also Thomas's clear messaging about agents and their roles then him strutting around the Valley with his phallic guitar has really added to a possible lack of respect among the players for the SMT above Jackson and Euell.
  • Options
    Have we had a tweet about yesterdays capitulation from TS or have I missed it? 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    This is what will force the issue. Crowd numbers will start to fall if they keep putting out performances like we have seen so far.
    I have 4 tickets for Sunderland away for myself, wife and 2 kids but I wont be bothering. I cant be arsed to spend hours travelling there to watch this shite. As I keep saying it isnt the results it's the ineptitude of the performances that is driving mad
    I am getting in the same bad frame of mind .. forecast is cold (10 degrees ish), possible rain, and despite the fact that I am booked in a hotel for a long weekend and enjoy the North East, I am having serious doubts about leaving home on Thursday morning
    The answer is obvious Lincs, you can still have your long weekend & enjoy the North East just avoid the football. 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    mogodon said:
    I have backed Adkins but there comes a point when you have to start looking at alternatives.  My real fear here is that while he will be the fall guy, there's something more fundamentally wrong in the entire structure from the top down and, if that is the case, then it needs something more unsentimental than a managerial change.

An absentee owner (and I accept all he did and is doing) has to rely on good staff to manage all aspects. At the moment it seems that is woefully lacking.
    For me, the failings are on the pitch, and the fingers should be pointing at the players and the coaching staff. I can't connect the CEO position or corporate structure to 11 players away at Lincoln failing to show for the ball or mark their man on the correct side. What is the connection?

Yes, you can argue "It's the structure that brought in these players" but all of those we signed are capable of doing the absolute basics, and yet they repeatedly don't.

Example: Some weeks ago we got caught out from a short corner 2-3 times in 1 match, they scored. The next game, the very same thing was happening again. It hadn't been sorted out. It's things like this that should be so basic but seem to be getting overlooked, these things are solely coaching and playing issues.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Maccn05 said:
    There’s a rumour on Twitter today saying DJ told Adkins to go for a walk… if that’s the case he’s already lost the room or at least their respect 
    These players are cunts if that's the truth. So unprofessional, hate the lot of them. Adkins is underperforming hugely but so are they, and they did the same under Bowyer.
    Also and I know people are gonna view this view with contempt but what if the rumours of no promotion bonuses and also Thomas's clear messaging about agents and their roles then him strutting around the Valley with his phallic guitar has really added to a possible lack of respect among the players for the SMT above Jackson and Euell.
    I still think the stuff about him sitting in team meetings and having breakfast with the players is strange too … he acts like a fanboy and not the owner 

I have a view that an absent owner and no leader in LDN has led to an overall slipping of standards- and it doesn’t take much to impact a team at that level.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    It may just be the case that Rickie Lambert and an owner with £squillions hid the fact Adkins is a shit coach?!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2021
    ross1 said:
    First game I have seen live this season, I was about half way in the Serenity stand. Some things I could see that our supporters could not as they were right to one end.

MacG: Had nothing to do first half and the first time he is needed, he pushes the ball on to Stockleys head instead of catching it.
    Gunter: I thought he had a good game considering all the moans I ever read about
    Lavelle: Commanding at the back and brought it forward well a few times
    Famewo: He looked quite confident
    Souaré: I kept reading that he is preferred to Purrington because he is more of an attacking player, never saw any of that
    Arter: I liked the way he kept driving the team forward, after Lee went off, he kept rollocking Davison for not challenging their defence when they had the ball
    Gilbey: Tried to control the midfield for a lot of the game but got overrun
    Leko: One player I looked forward to after reading reports from fans on previous games, I was very disappointed
    Kirk: Apart from screaming like a little girl everytime he was tackled, I cannot understand why, when Lee was injured, he did not bring on Washington and leave Kirk on the wing
    Davison: Run about a lot, but nothing else
    B-T: Started slowly but at last gave us something to hope for towards the end
    Stockley: Worked hard in defence and attack, at last we started winning some balls in the air in their area
    Referee: Not a bad game, missed two handballs, one for each side, and not allowing our penalty, otherwise OK for League 1

I know many will not agree with many of my comments, but that is what it is all about, opinions
    I assume it was thought too early for Washington given he'd been away with NI. It was a baffling decision to put Kirk in the middle though. It obviously needed to be Leko, if CBT came on. 
    Baffled me as if it was too early due to him being away with Northern Ireland, then it was too early to have been starting both Gunter and Arter as they'd been away too - Just didnt make sense.
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    Croydon said:
    Maccn05 said:
    I still think the stuff about him sitting in team meetings and having breakfast with the players is strange too … he acts like a fanboy and not the owner 

I have a view that an absent owner and no leader in LDN has led to an overall slipping of standards- and it doesn’t take much to impact a team at that level.
    If we were playing good football and winning games, nobody would care about what the owner chooses to do. The buck stops with a professional manager, coaches, players taking the piss and underachieving/ underperforming/ no giving it there best. 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Didn't watch yesterday, but not seeing anyone saying we were good, or even okay, for 10 / 20 / 30 minutes, so take it we were shit for the entire 90? Which would mean we're getting worst by the week.....
    We were only good for the 5 mins after there 1st. Then resort back to type.
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    Maccn05 said:
    Croydon said:
    Maccn05 said:

If we were playing good football and winning games, nobody would care about what the owner chooses to do. The buck stops with a professional manager, coaches, players taking the piss and underachieving/ underperforming/ no giving it there best. 
    Agreed!

My point was he acts like it’s a toy and not having anyone to run the business full time in the UK could be letting a crap coach and unprofessional players get away with coasting or worse.

like when the teacher is away from class. Adkins is the supply teacher nobody respects or listens too
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    paulfox said:
    Maccn05 said:
    Croydon said:
    Maccn05 said:

Agreed!

My point was he acts like it’s a toy and not having anyone to run the business full time in the UK could be letting a crap coach and unprofessional players get away with coasting or worse.

like when the teacher is away from class. Adkins is the supply teacher nobody respects or listens too
    Well seeing that its Roddy who has to report back to Sandgaard after defeats.

If anything I'm beginning to wonder if Sandgaard is being fed a true story of events as to whats going on here - Or whether people are trying to paint a picture to pass the buck.
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    First game I have seen live this season, I was about half way in the Serenity stand. Some things I could see that our supporters could not as they were right to one end.

MacG: Had nothing to do first half and the first time he is needed, he pushes the ball on to Stockleys head instead of catching it.
    Gunter: I thought he had a good game considering all the moans I ever read about
    Souaré: I kept reading that he is preferred to Purrington because he is more of an attacking player, never saw any of that
    Arter: I liked the way he kept driving the team forward, after Lee went off, he kept rollocking Davison for not challenging their defence when they had the ball
    Leko: One player I looked forward to after reading reports from fans on previous games, I was very disappointed
    Kirk: Apart from screaming like a little girl everytime he was tackled, I cannot understand why, when Lee was injured, he did not bring on Washington and leave Kirk on the wing
    Stockley: Worked hard in defence and attack, at last we started winning some balls in the air in their area
    Referee: Not a bad game, missed two handballs, one for each side, and not allowing our penalty, otherwise OK for League 1

I know many will not agree with many of my comments, but that is what it is all about, opinions
    I assume it was thought too early for Washington given he'd been away with NI. It was a baffling decision to put Kirk in the middle though. It obviously needed to be Leko, if CBT came on. 
    Baffled me as if it was too early due to him being away with Northern Ireland, then it was too early to have been starting both Gunter and Arter as they'd been away too - Just didnt make sense.
    He started both international games though. Gunter only started one and Arter came on as a sub in one.
  • Options
    ross1 said:

He started both international games though. Gunter only started one and Arter came on as a sub in one.
    If I had two weeks tp prepare for a game though, I'd analyse the opposition early and get the squad setup as early as possible so there is plenty of time to put a game plan into practice that can beat Lincoln.

If that meant leaving out the three Internationals then so be it, as would question if there would be enough time for Gunter | Arter | Washington to get up to speed with that plan within a day, possibly two, depending on when they travelled up to Lincoln.

Then again, there have already been comments on here that Adkins doesnt seem to prepare for games like that, and players are going into games without the information they should have.
  • Options
    mogodon said:
    I thought I might be less angry this morning but that post match bollocks from Adkins has not made me any less livid. If he didn't see what was happening on the pitch, then he should be sacked, if he wants to pretend it wasn't happening he should be sacked. What a complete **** he is.
    The difficulty for any manager is that if they throw the players to the wolves with honesty then they get slammed, and also run the risk of "losing the dressing room".  If they try to be upbeat then they are accused of being unrealistic.

Adkins is also not a bad or inexperienced manager. He thinks carefully what he says post match. He is also not an idiot and probably know as well as any of us how dire things are at the moment.  The only question is has the ability and the tools at his disposal to turn things round.
    Keep Adkins and replace Jackson and Euell with his own men.  That should have happened in the first place.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Maccn05 said:
    I'd sooner think the player, rather than players.
  • Options
    Embarrassing performance by grown men on the pitch, embarrassing behaviour by grown men off it.
    You forgot to include the embarrassing behaviour and willy waiving in the high street. Supporting CAFC is embarrassing now and I bought a season ticket. 
    What happened in the high st?
  • Options
    CBT actually made a couple of decent runs and crosses in the second half, which is more than any other Charlton player did
  • Options
    Gunter made a couple of decent crosses to be fair. Not much point crossing when there is nobody on the end of it though.
  • Options
    Gunter made a couple of decent crosses to be fair. Not much point crossing when there is nobody on the end of it though.

I'm trying to fathom why no one could get on the end of these crosses. Did we need another forward player as well as Stockley ? Or did the centre midfield not get in to support him?

Must admit I did appreciate some of Stockley's movement during dead ball situations. His game doesn't allow him to take on players when he has the ball to feet though. Yesterday no one else in the team in the middle of the park took on that role either. We were predictable to that extend which made it easy for Lincoln.

I think alot of teams have figured Stockley out after last seeing him last season. He isn't being as effective. Or perhaps he isn't getting the help on the pitch.
  • Options
    Had a chance to sleep on it. Was up there for this one. Thought performance was pretty turgid. I was also at Fleetwood and a lot of people said how well we played there. Personally didnt think that was great. I thought this performance was a lot worse than the Bolton game that we lost 4-1. If Lincoln could score goals it could of been a lot worse.

Like ChippyCAFC I also chatted some some Lincoln Season Ticket holders at the pub afterwards and they all said that we were the worse team they've seen all season. They thought we might have held on for an unfair (in their opinion) Draw.

Where do we go from here ? I will resist from calling for Adkins to go. But need to see an uptick in results and the players attitude. Yesterday I felt we lacked any sense of urgency or desire.

Let's see what Tuesday brings.

• Options
    From what I remember of yesterday.

I think Adkins is being very generous claiming we were good for 20 minutes, it was more like 5, that’s it.  Also it didn’t change just because Lee went off, Lee is one of our best players agreed, but again we was genuinely only half decent for about 5 minutes when he was on.

The players looked disheartened and almost expecting the inevitable, some may blame them for this, I don’t, that’s the managers responsibility.

As others have stated, only two worth a mention are MacG and Lavelle.

I also agree with someone who mentioned that we are cursed, I’m not superstitious in the slightest but it really does feel like we are, owner with a few quid, experienced manager, some decent players for this level IMO, and we still deteriorate as a club.  Just depressing now, I’m actually bombing Tuesday off, Gillette soccer special over a night at the valley is where I’m at now. 

One last thing, Adkins Out.
  • Options
    ross1 said:

I assume it was thought too early in the game for Washington given he'd been away with NI.

It was a baffling decision to put Kirk in the middle though. It obviously needed to be Leko, if CBT was the one to come on. 
    A big if re CBT. 
    I would have bought Watson on and put Gilbey up into Lee’s role as very similar strengths. I thought Atkins had finally learnt that we need three in the midfield who know how to defend, and one of those needs to be able to make it into the box to support the lone striker. 
  • Options
    Gilbey and Lee have similar strengths?! One runs around a lot, the other plays football 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Gilbey and Lee have similar strengths?! One runs around a lot, the other plays football 
    Both put a lot of effort in, both can tackle, and both have an eye for a goal.