Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Match Thread: Lincoln City vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 16th October 2021

Comments

• Options
    Redrobo said:
    ross1 said:
    First game I have seen live this season, I was about half way in the Serenity stand. Some things I could see that our supporters could not as they were right to one end.

MacG: Had nothing to do first half and the first time he is needed, he pushes the ball on to Stockleys head instead of catching it.
    Gunter: I thought he had a good game considering all the moans I ever read about
    Lavelle: Commanding at the back and brought it forward well a few times
    Famewo: He looked quite confident
    Souaré: I kept reading that he is preferred to Purrington because he is more of an attacking player, never saw any of that
    Arter: I liked the way he kept driving the team forward, after Lee went off, he kept rollocking Davison for not challenging their defence when they had the ball
    Gilbey: Tried to control the midfield for a lot of the game but got overrun
    Leko: One player I looked forward to after reading reports from fans on previous games, I was very disappointed
    Kirk: Apart from screaming like a little girl everytime he was tackled, I cannot understand why, when Lee was injured, he did not bring on Washington and leave Kirk on the wing
    Davison: Run about a lot, but nothing else
    B-T: Started slowly but at last gave us something to hope for towards the end
    Stockley: Worked hard in defence and attack, at last we started winning some balls in the air in their area
    Referee: Not a bad game, missed two handballs, one for each side, and not allowing our penalty, otherwise OK for League 1

I know many will not agree with many of my comments, but that is what it is all about, opinions
    I assume it was thought too early in the game for Washington given he'd been away with NI.

It was a baffling decision to put Kirk in the middle though. It obviously needed to be Leko, if CBT was the one to come on. 
    A big if re CBT. 
    I would have bought Watson on and put Gilbey up into Lee’s role as very similar strengths. I thought Atkins had finally learnt that we need three in the midfield who know how to defend, and one of those needs to be able to make it into the box to support the lone striker. 
    Increasingly, I have the feeling that Prof Adkins doesn't "do" learning from his mistakes....

He will question the choices he's made regarding the starting line up, for instance, over & over again ad infinitum.

But will inevitably come to the conclusion that he's been right all along. 

Stubborn, maybe ?

Or delusional ? 
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    ross1 said:
    First game I have seen live this season, I was about half way in the Serenity stand. Some things I could see that our supporters could not as they were right to one end.

MacG: Had nothing to do first half and the first time he is needed, he pushes the ball on to Stockleys head instead of catching it.
    Gunter: I thought he had a good game considering all the moans I ever read about
    Lavelle: Commanding at the back and brought it forward well a few times
    Famewo: He looked quite confident
    Souaré: I kept reading that he is preferred to Purrington because he is more of an attacking player, never saw any of that
    Arter: I liked the way he kept driving the team forward, after Lee went off, he kept rollocking Davison for not challenging their defence when they had the ball
    Gilbey: Tried to control the midfield for a lot of the game but got overrun
    Leko: One player I looked forward to after reading reports from fans on previous games, I was very disappointed
    Kirk: Apart from screaming like a little girl everytime he was tackled, I cannot understand why, when Lee was injured, he did not bring on Washington and leave Kirk on the wing
    Davison: Run about a lot, but nothing else
    B-T: Started slowly but at last gave us something to hope for towards the end
    Stockley: Worked hard in defence and attack, at last we started winning some balls in the air in their area
    Referee: Not a bad game, missed two handballs, one for each side, and not allowing our penalty, otherwise OK for League 1

I know many will not agree with many of my comments, but that is what it is all about, opinions
    I assume it was thought too early in the game for Washington given he'd been away with NI.

It was a baffling decision to put Kirk in the middle though. It obviously needed to be Leko, if CBT was the one to come on. 
    A big if re CBT. 
    I would have bought Watson on and put Gilbey up into Lee’s role as very similar strengths. I thought Atkins had finally learnt that we need three in the midfield who know how to defend, and one of those needs to be able to make it into the box to support the lone striker. 
    Increasingly, I have the feeling that Prof Adkins doesn't "do" learning from his mistakes....

He will question the choices he's made regarding the starting line up, for instance, over & over again ad infinitum.

But will inevitably come to the conclusion that he's been right all along. 

Stubborn, maybe ?

Or delusional ? 
    or totally out of his depth and slowly drowning ?

intuitive post b t w FF
  • Options
    Thanks, Lincs.

Just saying what I'm thinking.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Just seen that Adkins video. What planet is he on, blaming the officials.  If Lincoln had won that by 3 goals we could have had no complaints and they are very average.  We were dire.  It's not the officials it is his prehistoric, one trick tactics that are the issue.  Was that Fortune in the studio when it cut back just brushing his jumper and looking down- looked like he was laughing at the nonsence of the interview and then Scotty trying not to laugh too but I am probably wrong.

The highlight of the game for me was when Lincoln scored their offside goal and the Lincoln lad running towards us waving his scarf and taking his iPad out to record our reaction for a good 30 seconds before he realised the goal had not stood.  

On 89 mins I told my boy that this was the time to score and win and just watch the crowd go wild.  🙆‍♂️
  • Options
    Ultimate piss take from Michael Appleton. 

He reckoned that Lincoln City dominated Charlton Athletic in their 2-1 victory – and added that they were so comfortable his heart rate didn’t go above 80.

• Options
    Redrobo said:
    Leuth said:
    Gilbey and Lee have similar strengths?! One runs around a lot, the other plays football 
    Both put a lot of effort in, both can tackle, and both have an eye for a goal.
    Lee can't tackle, he's a second striker/number 10
  • Options
    Embarrassing performance by grown men on the pitch, embarrassing behaviour by grown men off it.
    You forgot to include the embarrassing behaviour and willy waiving in the high street. Supporting CAFC is embarrassing now and I bought a season ticket. 
    What happened in the high st?
    We had been to craft beer pub. O  the way to the ground we passed another pub. It was kicking off a bit. Six Charlton fans and some home supporters mouthing off.  The police reinforcements appeared really quickly.  Dog car and a Police Van plus more police. Someone said they also waived their tackle at them. We left the area and went to the ground.
    Much swearing and leering too. Police prevented it kicking off really.
    I didn't see that incident, and indeed was surprised there were so many police around (and from before 11am), as if it was a local derby or grudge match
  • Options
    Embarrassing performance by grown men on the pitch, embarrassing behaviour by grown men off it.
    You forgot to include the embarrassing behaviour and willy waiving in the high street. Supporting CAFC is embarrassing now and I bought a season ticket. 
    What happened in the high st?
    We had been to craft beer pub. O  the way to the ground we passed another pub. It was kicking off a bit. Six Charlton fans and some home supporters mouthing off.  The police reinforcements appeared really quickly.  Dog car and a Police Van plus more police. Someone said they also waived their tackle at them. We left the area and went to the ground.
    Much swearing and leering too. Police prevented it kicking off really.
    I didn't see that incident, and indeed was surprised there were so many police around (and from before 11am), as if it was a local derby or grudge match
    I think Lincoln have a bit of a bad boy element and the police seeing 1300 fans coming up north probably thought it was going to be a rough day.

Good turn out by our fans, shame the players didn't show up.
  • Options
    0%      Top 2
    1%    Play offs 
    25%     7th-12th
    68%   13th-20th
    6%  The big R 

• Options
    0%      Top 2
    1%    Play offs 
    25%     7th-12th
    68%   13th-20th
    6%  The big R 

With no manager change 
    0%
    0%
    0%
    25%
    75%

Wish Adkins could get it right, but it seems he's not the man he was a decade ago.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    0%      Top 2
    1%    Play offs 
    25%     7th-12th
    68%   13th-20th
    6%  The big R 

With no manager change 
    0%
    0%
    0%
    25%
    75%

Wish Adkins could get it right, but it seems he's not the man he was a decade ago.
    Mrs Kips says the same to me almost daily. So Nads you have my sympathy there at least.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    I could see within five minutes they were better than us, travelled from Hove got home at 1145pm after jumper near Lincoln, won't be rushing to go again anytime soon...
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    What an arse of a day that was. I lost my bank card on the way to Lincoln . Totally shit team and then the train problem. Finally got to Brighton at 11.30. I thought as the women’s team were playing at Lewes on Sunday I give them a watch. They lost 2-0 but what a difference watching that team a real team fighting for each other. I’d put Megan Wynne in place of any of the men at the moment . Pure guts and a winner.  I’ve still booked the train to Burton though. Glutton for punishment 
  • Options
    LMHR said:
    What an arse of a day that was. I lost my bank card on the way to Lincoln . Totally shit team and then the train problem. Finally got to Brighton at 11.30. I thought as the women’s team were playing at Lewes on Sunday I give them a watch. They lost 2-0 but what a difference watching that team a real team fighting for each other. I’d put Megan Wynne in place of any of the men at the moment . Pure guts and a winner.  I’ve still booked the train to Burton though. Glutton for punishment 
    The Burton game is on an international weekend, so might not happen
  • Options
    £21. So I’m not that fussed 
  • Options
    LMHR said:
    The Burton game is on an international weekend, so might not happen

NO No,
    Play the Burton game as we are worse the more time we spend on the training ground with Nads.

Unless a new manager comes in before !
  • Options
    Yes, play the bloody game. Are the people running the club so thick that they can't see the outcome every time we cancel a game in the international break? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    In fairness I believe that it was Rotherham who requested the last postponement.  My hunch is that we would have played it because of
    a) the heavily swollen number of playing staff at our disposal and
    b) we inevitably lose revenue by playing the match mid week.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    LMHR said:
    Burton will be called off as an international weekend.
    I can always find you a non-league game in the area.
  • Options
    Thanks , but whitehawk is 10 mins away 
  • Options
    Did anyone see the two little Lincoln lads on the left hand side of the ground?
    They must have been about 6 or 7, when they scored the offside goal, one of them came running up to the away end, dancing & cheering, we were all waving at him and he was loving it. His mate then came up to him to tell him the goal was offside, resulting of him putting his head in his hands in unbelievement. 
    Didn't see him when the winner went in, as he would have been told he was going to bed without his dinner.
  • Options
    LMHR said:
    Err....you want some...
  • Options
    LMHR said:
    Err....you want some...

• Options
    Having now recovered from my 14 hour round journey to watch that debacle, here's my thoughts on the game/team.

Whenever the Lincoln defenders had the ball, our number 10 would push up to play as a second striker and together they would try and press their defenders. The trouble was that none of our midfield were pressing, so it was easy for them to knock it around until one of their own midfielders dropped into the space to collect a short pass and start their attack. You have to press as a team other wise it just too easy for the opposition. 

On the train to Lincoln, one of their fans said their bad form is down to the fact they have no pace upfront, yet we allowed their number 10 to run in behind our defence time and time again. So we've somehow found a way to defend, where the midfield sits too deep to help with the press and the defence sits too high to stop runs in behind. 

As an 'attacking' unit, we made it so easy for them, as we seem completely unable to get in behind the opponents defence ourselves. Not sure what Washington has to do to get in this team, but he's our only forward that can offer this (he did it against Crewe time and time again). If Adkins is refusing to change his formation (which seems to be the case, as he won't go two up top even when chasing games in final 10mins), then try playing Washington as the lone striker and hitting balls over the top for him to run onto. Even if he doesn't get onto most of them, it should force the opponents defensive line to drop a little, which then creates space for our  midfield and attacking midfielders to get on the ball more. With no threat in behind it's easy for any team to mark us out the game. 

Looking at the touchline, Euell and occasionally JJ seem to be the ones doing most of the shouting of instructions to players. Maybe it's me putting two and two together and getting five, but I do wonder if there's issues between coaching staff and manager at present. Might explain the stubbornness to change formation/style when it's clearly needed.  
    I noticed a couple of times, Adkins was talking to JJ and Euell and then they started shouting to the players, I assume Adkins leaves the shouting of his instructions to the coaches
  • Options
    Yeah mines a double 
  • Options
    LMHR said:
    Yeah mines a double 
    What? A left right combination………..masochist! 😉.