Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Accrington Stanley | Tues 19 October | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    Dobson have to be on the bench at least.  Clare too to be honest even though I am not a fan.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Back to picking players who were shit weeks ago because the others were shit more recently.  Be calls for Matthews back come Doncaster. 

A box midfield scares the shit out of me to be honest.  We get over run with 3, let alone 4.  Flash backs to Cheltenham. 

God knows what team he will pick and I haven't got a scooby what I would pick. I am just juggling least worse options round in my head. 

If we don't play 3 proper center mids we will get ripped apart.  Still might even if we do mind. 
    Completely agree.  It will be exactly as you say.  X in for Y not because they are any better, but because we haven’t seen them in a few weeks and it’s their turn on the crapowheel
  • Options
    BFG94 said:
    Will be going to the match but finding it hard to drum up any real enthusiasm. Can’t see anything other than a draw - other teams have us sussed out. Another defeat would be absolute disaster. 
    At least the 40 Accrington fans will go home happy.
    and you can bet on the Covered End singing 'your support is fucking shit' in between 'we're fucking shit' and 'we want Adkins out'.
  • Options
    We all know the script for this type of game, the confidence is at rock bottom and we can barely string three passes together. 3-1 Accrington. 
  • Options
    Accy game has all the characteristics to be a repeat of the Bolton game. Players need a real kick up the bollocks from someone who gives a shit but isn't washed 
  • Options
    According to Lancashire Lad's statbank: Sam Lavelle was the least bad player for CAFC at Lincoln on Saturday.
    That being so we're so far up shit creek it's too late for a search party
    If he's the benchmark 22nd in division 3 is the limit of this squad's capabilities
    Never lower
    Until Saturday evening...
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Mac

Gunter Lavelle Pearce Purrington 

Watson Clare 

Leko Gilbey CBT

Stockley 

This is the team I think he’ll go with rather than the one I would like to see.  For the record I’d rather see 

Paulie

Leuth Henry Irving Oohaahmortimer Gribbo

Aliwibble Fanny

Mr Largo Sage Seth Plum 

Elfsborg 

They would do a better job 
    Genius! At least it’ll stop the route one stuff to Elfs and he’ll be brilliant with nutmegs as he runs between the CBs legs 😉.
  • Options
    Can't see us getting anything from this with Adkins still in charge.  3-0 away win  .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nope, gonna be positive and say that we can (and must!) scrape a 2-1 win.
  • Options
    Play the under 23's, I'll be willing to bet they'd win more than 2 games in the next 12 matches
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    1-0 Stockley with the winner. Will be an awful game tho' - but I'll still watch it  online :(
  • Options
    Great review as always...., Anything less than a team performance, and a convincing result i think should spell the end for Adkins, however nice a chap he is. Only thing that counts is points!!
    The ball spends so long in the air it comes down with snow on it! Lets play the ball to Stockers feet instead of a long punt and hope that he knocks down and then wins the second ball.

Heart say 2-0 , head says 0-2. 

But i will be there, hoping i can see some glimmer of improvement before the odyssey that is Sunderland away.

COYRs!!!
  • Options
    With Accrington's anti-football tactics, it's going to be a really shite evening of football.

At least they won't pass through us. I reckon 0-0
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Croydon said:
    With Accrington's anti-football tactics, it's going to be a really shite evening of football.

I wold fancy us to give a stupid goal away in a tight game. I think it will boil down to who is the most crap. I can see us winning, possibly 2-1 but we have no chance on Saturday unless something amazing happens out of nowhere!
  • Options
    Croydon said:

At least they have tactics - we're hardly in a position to criticise other teams. 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Mac

Watson Clare 

Leko Gilbey CBT

Stockley 

This is the team I think he’ll go with rather than the one I would like to see.  For the record I’d rather see 

Paulie

Aliwibble Fanny

Mr Largo Sage Seth Plum 

Elfsborg 

Interesting team you have picked @cabbles and I understand some of the positions:

Seth Plum as a left winger seems apt.
    Elfsborg up front so the ball has to be played on the deck.
    Henry Irving as a CB as he is a good reader of the game. Has every copy of Shoot mag.
    Ali and Fanny as they have the legs in midfield.
    Sage, such a bright young player who can support the vertically challenged Elf.

Have doubts on a few others.
    Leuth will wander lonely as a cloud.
    Oohaahmortimer  will go missing when he needs a pony and trap.
    Gribbo is a natural Left back in the sense he is normally Left back in the dressing room.
    Mr Largo is similar to Ben Watson in that he gets a lot of yellow cards and he prefers to walk.
    Paulie is a similar keeper to Thurman, he prefers to punch the ball even when he is taking a goal kick.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    cabbles said:
    Mac

Watson Clare 

Leko Gilbey CBT

Stockley 

Paulie

Aliwibble Fanny

Mr Largo Sage Seth Plum 

Elfsborg 

I can see some problems here, you need some subs.

Henry's cardigan will clash with the Accrington kit

Aliwibble will not leave her laptop for 90 minutes in case someone on here tries to start a thread that should really be in Marketplace

Fanny is not available, she is half way through binge watching a box set

Mr Largo will be late as his train will be stuck at Lewisham

Elfs will need stilts or a lightweight step ladder if we intend playing the long ball.

;) 

• Options
    cabbles said:
    Mac

Watson Clare 

Leko Gilbey CBT

Stockley 

Paulie

Aliwibble Fanny

Mr Largo Sage Seth Plum 

Elfsborg 

Love how you even get my position right, Cabbles for gaffer.
  • Options
    After watching my first live game on Saturday, I know why there are so many moans on here. We seemed to bring in four wingers at the start and until CBT woke up in the last 10 minutes, you would think that we had none. Kirk, waste of time, Leko decided to not live up to the good football I have been reading about, DJ is nowhere to be seen, and even CBT seemed to take time before he got started. If we are going to start with Stockley, two of these have got to give him service. I am normally positive, but after Saturday, I cannot see how we will win any game. 
  • Options
    looking forward to the game bizarrely enough even though everything suggests it will be utter crap - its a competitive fixture, its not a farcical international match or a silly cup game and we need the 3 points so it has my interest - i hope we give dobson and clare some game time - really don't want to see watson return - hope Lee is playing - shame arter isn't as haven't seen him yet - we were very good in the first half the last night match i was at before the late collapse and f we do manage to get a couple of goals up, i could say us thumping a team - equally likely however is that we lose 1-0.  
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Charlton Athletic v Accrington Stanley
    Tuesday 19 October | Kick-Off: 19:45
    Live on Valley Pass

Referee: Sam Allison - Previously officiated a Charlton match away at Wigan back in March where the Addicks came out victorious, 0-1

Introduction
    No identity. No structure or game plan with and without the ball. No clue. And that's just some of the things said about us by opposition supporters. Charlton's season for any kind of success, as has been so accurately said elsewhere, is dead in the water. More than a quarter of the season has passed and it's quite clear the longer this situation continues, the higher the chances are that we will indeed get out of League One, just falling through the dreaded trap door instead. As I write this, Adkins remains in charge. It seems as though our owner, who did unbelievably well to save us a year ago, is burying his head in the sand. As a whole, it's not like this group of players can't do it or get results, much of the team just missed out on the play-offs last season, others have played regularly at a higher level. But 20 minute spells or a good half here and there is not enough. We need to put it together consistently, and we have to do that now. In contrast, our opposition on Tuesday evening have an identity. They know their jobs on the pitch with and without the ball, and they have idea of how to play the game. For the famous saying, "who are they?", it's now very much, "who are we?". Up next you know exactly who it is, Accrington Stanley travel to The Valley.

Opposition
    Manager: John Coleman | Stadium: Crown Ground
    League Position: 13th | Nickname(s): Stanley, Accy, The 'Owd Reds
    Form: LWLDLL

Accrington Stanley travelled to Cheltenham Town on Saturday, losing 1-0, their line up was:

Savin
    Sykes | Nottingham | Amankwah
    McConville | Conneely | Morgan | Hamilton
    Butcher | Pell
    Bishop

One notable absentee from the Stanley squad is Dion Charles. The striker was prolific last season in his partnership with Colby Bishop, but he's currently in the midst of a stand-off with the club around his future. With his contract expiring in the summer of 2022, Stanley feel they deserve the right value for him, whilst Charles feels his career has been stagnated by not securing a move away. All of this is going on whilst results of late have slipped, they've been poor. Stanley's only wins this season have come against sides who are below them in the table, notably 3 of them against the other clubs who make up the relegation zone...

As we saw live on Sky Sports the last time Accy played in SE7, they can be a good footballing team, especially with the influence of Nottingham bringing the ball out of defence. They're a big side too and will make it tough for us, not giving us a moment's peace to settle on the ball. They'll get in our faces, make it difficult, and will look to pick up the second balls. Here, they'll give themselves a platform to go and play. It's going to be a challenge and if I were to pick a fixture at home after a poor performance and result on the road, this would be low down on my list.

Charlton Team News
    We are likely to see a few enforced changes to the side who started the last two league fixtures. Elliot Lee came off in the first half ill on Saturday so could miss out. Harry Arter came off with a hamstring complaint so is likely to be in the stands, and Akin Famewo has a calf issue that could force him out too.

As Stanley are a big side who will play 3 at the back, I would've anticipated us to match them up. However, if Famewo misses out that is unlikely to happen. I am expecting a few changes, even though Adkins has said he'd like to keep a settled side - picking the team for this is still anyone's guess. For example, Stockley will be hoping to get his first start in the league for a few weeks, Purrington could come in for Souaré, whilst Blackett-Taylor and Washington will be pushing to be involved too. 

As clean sheets are extremely hard to come by this season, we've put ourselves in a position where we have to score at least 2 goals a game to give ourselves a chance. This has to stop. In a game that's going to be a battle, I think we'll see as many experienced heads on the pitch as possible.

Subs: Henderson, Souaré, Dobson, Clare, Jaiyesimi, Washington, Davison

Prediction
    Charlton fans will turn up and give it their all in the hope that we can somehow push the team on to victory under the lights. Whether that pushes the players on and transpires into 3 points and a good performance, we will find out at 21:45.

Charlton Athletic 1-1 Accrington Stanley
    Leko
    Jesus that's an awful looking team. A plodding back 4 & a midfield full of width but nothing else. 
  • Options
    We will pull the rabbit out of the hat for this game and pick up only are 3rd league win of the season. Not going to be easy but 2-0 to Charlton before heading up to the North East this weekend.
  • Options
    I think it is going to be important we get the first goal. 
  • Options
    Has Fans4Fans decided on our behalf who we want selected in the starting XI?
  • Options
    Croydon said:

I wold fancy us to give a stupid goal away in a tight game. I think it will boil down to who is the most crap. I can see us winning, possibly 2-1 but we have no chance on Saturday unless something amazing happens out of nowhere!
    What I think. Win tomorrow, lose Saturday, Adkins stumbles on, nothing changes.