Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Accrington Stanley | Tues 19 October | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    Never been in the ground to see Charlton play Accrington Stanley at the Valley so worth going for that alone. Fairly sure that’s the case for most fans (correct me if I’m wrong). No doubt in about 20 years time 50,000 CL posters will claim they were there

• Options
    The team needs solidity and the squad is short handed in this department
    Adkins witless deployment of many lightweight "creative" (hollow laugh) players has proved time and again to be stupid - ergo he'll repeat the wuckfittery in delusion it'll turn out different
    Lee will leave a big hole and Famewo would be the least bad option at the back
    From the ragtag leftovers in the squad I'd go 5 at the back with cloggers to protect them thus:
    MacG: Gunter, Lavelle, Pearce: Matthews, Purrington: Watson, Clare: Gilbey, *?*: Stockers
    *?* would be whichever theoretical attacking mid has pretended to give a shit in training since Sunday out of DJ, Kirk, CBT & Leko, desperate measures indeed, bottom of barrel scraped right through
    The bench would see Henderson, Davison, Elerewe, Soaré, Dobson, Morgan and another *?*

The match will be awful to watch with our best chance likely to come from a set piece

Have fun Addicks!
  • Options
    I’m going along tonight, although the principal attraction is having a few pre-match pints - anything positive on the field will be a bonus. I expect that a significant number of the 9.000 odd season ticket holders will buy a stream tonight. The number of non-attendees is naturally higher for midweek games and the team’s dismal form is hardly encouraging for any waverers, especially for people who have to rush home from work and struggle to make kick-off.
  • Options
    Adkins is a busted flush - if he stays, we will most likely go down.

TS needs to change the manager = lots of teams in this division are more dynamic and will fight to win the points. We are lightweight, unfit, poorly led and unlikely to bring out any results.  We need a hard nosed manager who will ge the best out of this squad. 

If we stay up, we can then hopefully improve next season.

• Options
    TS seemed to be disappointed that we didn't get 20,000+ in for the Wednesday game. Wonder what he's thinking about the actual gates now. Must be half that what he had hoped for. His dream has already become a nightmare and despite his genuine enthusiasm, he isn't a Charlton fan, more a wealthy benefactor that wants to be an owner of a successful club. My concern would be that he loses heart in the European football plan and jumps ship, licking his wounds and taking the losses thus far on the chin. How sad the current state of affairs, when the promise was so much different 12 months ago. 

No quick fix for the reds. Adkins stays to fight another day, regardless of tonight's result, which will be a loss (but so hopeful that it isn't).

COYR

Yes, I would be very interested to know the actual, through the turnstiles attendance figure for tonight.
    I am also not convinced Adkins faces the sack today.
    Doing so calls into question TS's whole medium to long-term business model (quite rightly IMO) and I don't think he'll want to face up to it being a flawed vision so soon.
    Of course, continuing poor results and fan reaction will eventually force his hand.

• Options
    MacGillivray 
    Gunter - Lavelle - Pearce - Purrington 
    Leko - Gilbey - Arter - Kirk
    Washington - Davison

2-1 Win

Whatever we actually put out Lose 2-1
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    MacGillivray 
    Washington - Davison

2-1 Win

You want to play three of the four in midfield who played the second half at Lincoln? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2021
    I refuse to believe that Charlton won’t beat Accrington Stanley at The Valley. I refuse. 
    We didn't last season.
  • Options
    Is Lee still ill? He might have had a 24 hour bug. If he isn't ill, he needs to play as he is the one player that links our attack to our midfield.
  • Options
    Never been in the ground to see Charlton play Accrington Stanley at the Valley so worth going for that alone. Fairly sure that’s the case for most fans (correct me if I’m wrong). No doubt in about 20 years time 50,000 CL posters will claim they were there

The last time we played them in front of a crowd was quite memorable. Karlan's last goal in a Charlton shirt too. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46847459
  • Options
    TS seemed to be disappointed that we didn't get 20,000+ in for the Wednesday game. Wonder what he's thinking about the actual gates now. Must be half that what he had hoped for. His dream has already become a nightmare and despite his genuine enthusiasm, he isn't a Charlton fan, more a wealthy benefactor that wants to be an owner of a successful club. My concern would be that he loses heart in the European football plan and jumps ship, licking his wounds and taking the losses thus far on the chin. How sad the current state of affairs, when the promise was so much different 12 months ago. 

No quick fix for the reds. Adkins stays to fight another day, regardless of tonight's result, which will be a loss (but so hopeful that it isn't).

COYR

Doing so calls into question TS's whole medium to long-term business model (quite rightly IMO) and I don't think he'll want to face up to it being a flawed vision so soon.
    Of course, continuing poor results and fan reaction will eventually force his hand.

Are we not passed that point already?
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

COYR

Are we not passed that point already?
    Evidently not!
  • Options
    Cold damp Tuesday evening in October against Accrington Stanley with Charlton 3rd bottom of Div 3 - gonna probably swerve this one, which says more about Charlton than me !!!
    Massive misjudgement mate. 

It’s going to be 18 degrees at kick off. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Cold damp Tuesday evening in October against Accrington Stanley with Charlton 3rd bottom of Div 3 - gonna probably swerve this one, which says more about Charlton than me !!!
    Massive misjudgement mate. 

It’s going to be 18 degrees at kick off. 
    Just checked and you are right - I’m still swerving it though
  • Options
    Tonight will be the first time in my life that I’m purposely not going to a Charlton game. Everything is so rubbish, it’s not even fun anymore. 

I don’t care about the points, we need a massive change in the clubs hierarchy and we needed it a month ago
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    MacGillivray 
    Washington - Davison

2-1 Win

Probably close to the starting line up imo although I wouldnt put Kirk in as for whatever reason he seems miles away from doing anything productive at the moment
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    That team sums up the problems, look at the group of front players, Lee, Corey Blackett Taylor, Leko and Stockley. This leaves Gilbey and Watson exposed and over run as there is not a cover from the forward group. If you are an opposing manager you would tell your players to work the space wide of Gilbey and Watson. Football is a simple game but is sometimes over complicated by fools. No offence to you Sage as your team is a reflection of the system Adkins has used most of the season, if he persists then we will lose more than win and the Accrington game will be another sad addition to the losses.
    Agreed, our system doesn't work as the wingers and Lee provide no defensive cover, and as a result our full backs and 2 midfielders get swamped, as we end up with 424 on the field. And every other opposition manager knows this, and will exploit it.

We need 3 proper midfielders, and no Lee doesn't count as he's a forward. Indeed we generally played that way under Adkins last season, 433 with 3 midfielders, 2 wingers and Stockley, so I don't know why he seems so fixated with 4231 this season.
  • Options
    I won’t even be watching the stream. First time I can’t be bothered to even watch that. 
  • Options
    I can see this being a terrible game, ending up in a really unsatisfactory draw that spares Adkins the chop but shows no signs of us turning the corner
  • Options
    Great preview as always @Sage mate... Not easy writing them when we're in this form.

Worth remembering that its unlikely that Accrington will be here to 100% focus on the Football come Tuesday night... Its not pretty to watch, but it works for them, Sam Morsy for Ipswich bemoaned their style of time wasting when Ipswich played them recently and fully expect the same this coming midweek.

If I was John Coleman I would encourage it even more, there is going to be very little fluidity to this game, and can see Accrington doing more than usual to try and frustrate our fans and so make the players even more nervous than usual.

Its one reason why I'm never a fan of the negativity from the stands during a game (although can understand it), as think it only serves two things: (1) to make yourself feel better (2) to help the opposition

Teams know this at the moment

If I was an opposing Manager I'd be trying anything to create unrest amongs the Charlton fans.

Accrington will do it very well, none of our games against them have been remotely entertaining!!
    Accrington are very good at frustrating good footballing teams, by stopping them playing.

But we're not a good footballing team, so should be ok. We're already playing hoofball...
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Some of you will be in trouble with the owner! Lol

“Looking forward to seeing everyone at the Valley for tonight’s game #cafc” - TS
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    MacGillivray 
    Washington - Davison

2-1 Win

You want to play three of the four in midfield who played the second half at Lincoln? 
    I would rather we bought a whole new side and a new manager ala Parkinson being replaced by Powell... But that's not going to happen. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Some of you will be in trouble with the owner! Lol

“Looking forward to seeing everyone at the Valley for tonight’s game #cafc” - TS
    Meeting and greeting those that turn up ? Nice touch by TS 
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    That team sums up the problems, look at the group of front players, Lee, Corey Blackett Taylor, Leko and Stockley. This leaves Gilbey and Watson exposed and over run as there is not a cover from the forward group. If you are an opposing manager you would tell your players to work the space wide of Gilbey and Watson. Football is a simple game but is sometimes over complicated by fools. No offence to you Sage as your team is a reflection of the system Adkins has used most of the season, if he persists then we will lose more than win and the Accrington game will be another sad addition to the losses.
    Agreed, our system doesn't work as the wingers and Lee provide no defensive cover, and as a result our full backs and 2 midfielders get swamped, as we end up with 424 on the field. And every other opposition manager knows this, and will exploit it.

We need 3 proper midfielders, and no Lee doesn't count as he's a forward. Indeed we generally played that way under Adkins last season, 433 with 3 midfielders, 2 wingers and Stockley, so I don't know why he seems so fixated with 4231 this season.
    This is the big tactical difference to last season.  For the first few games Morgan played a similar positional role to that that Gilbey did last season.  He didn't do it very well mind, but come the Wigan home game he was basically playing as a second striker with Stockley moaning at him for being too deep for most of the time.  He was actually replaced in that role by Washington, and the Crewe game.  Its a subtle change but quite a big one. 

I have no idea why he has changed that, especially when we got over run at Oxford and MKD in the two games immediately before he changed it.  He still, at that time, had basically the same players. 

He had a chance to change it on Saturday by bringing Watson on for Lee and moving back to last seasons shape.   At least we might have got some control on the game. 

4231 isn't a system Adkins has been wed to through out his career, unlike Robinson, who has now learnt at least a bit of flexibility. 

It's literally a case of moving one player back 10 yards, it's not revelationary like moving to a back 3 or 2 up front.   We don't have any 2 that are good enough, especially when tonight Accrington will have 4 in there. 

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Bailey said:

This is the big tactical difference to last season.  For the first few games Morgan played a similar positional role to that that Gilbey did last season.  He didn't do it very well mind, but come the Wigan home game he was basically playing as a second striker with Stockley moaning at him for being too deep for most of the time.  He was actually replaced in that role by Washington, and the Crewe game.  Its a subtle change but quite a big one. 

I have no idea why he has changed that, especially when we got over run at Oxford and MKD in the two games immediately before he changed it.  He still, at that time, had basically the same players. 

He had a chance to change it on Saturday by bringing Watson on for Lee and moving back to last seasons shape.   At least we might have got some control on the game. 

4231 isn't a system Adkins has been wed to through out his career, unlike Robinson, who has now learnt at least a bit of flexibility. 

It's literally a case of moving one player back 10 yards, it's not revelationary like moving to a back 3 or 2 up front.   We don't have any 2 that are good enough, especially when tonight Accrington will have 4 in there. 

I thought Morgan was unfairly criticised for not being the super attacking, flairy No 10 when that wasn't the role he was playing in the side, which was as one of the 3 in midfield, but the most advanced one.

He doesn't get all his defensive decisions right, but provides FAR more of a defensive shield than Lee or any of the wingers. Lee's old man might have successfully played a more defensive role for Newcastle and England, but Lee junior is much more like the Charlton Rob Lee in the side for his attacking play.