Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Accrington Stanley | Tues 19 October | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Bailey said:
    That team sums up the problems, look at the group of front players, Lee, Corey Blackett Taylor, Leko and Stockley. This leaves Gilbey and Watson exposed and over run as there is not a cover from the forward group. If you are an opposing manager you would tell your players to work the space wide of Gilbey and Watson. Football is a simple game but is sometimes over complicated by fools. No offence to you Sage as your team is a reflection of the system Adkins has used most of the season, if he persists then we will lose more than win and the Accrington game will be another sad addition to the losses.
    Agreed, our system doesn't work as the wingers and Lee provide no defensive cover, and as a result our full backs and 2 midfielders get swamped, as we end up with 424 on the field. And every other opposition manager knows this, and will exploit it.

We need 3 proper midfielders, and no Lee doesn't count as he's a forward. Indeed we generally played that way under Adkins last season, 433 with 3 midfielders, 2 wingers and Stockley, so I don't know why he seems so fixated with 4231 this season.
    This is the big tactical difference to last season.  For the first few games Morgan played a similar positional role to that that Gilbey did last season.  He didn't do it very well mind, but come the Wigan home game he was basically playing as a second striker with Stockley moaning at him for being too deep for most of the time.  He was actually replaced in that role by Washington, and the Crewe game.  Its a subtle change but quite a big one. 

I have no idea why he has changed that, especially when we got over run at Oxford and MKD in the two games immediately before he changed it.  He still, at that time, had basically the same players. 

He had a chance to change it on Saturday by bringing Watson on for Lee and moving back to last seasons shape.   At least we might have got some control on the game. 

4231 isn't a system Adkins has been wed to through out his career, unlike Robinson, who has now learnt at least a bit of flexibility. 

It's literally a case of moving one player back 10 yards, it's not revelationary like moving to a back 3 or 2 up front.   We don't have any 2 that are good enough, especially when tonight Accrington will have 4 in there. 

I thought Morgan was unfairly criticised for not being the super attacking, flairy No 10 when that wasn't the role he was playing in the side, which was as one of the 3 in midfield, but the most advanced one.

He doesn't get all his defensive decisions right, but provides FAR more of a defensive shield than Lee or any of the wingers. Lee's old man might have successfully played a more defensive role for Newcastle and England, but Lee junior is much more like the Charlton Rob Lee in the side for his attacking play.
    I get what you mean but his general play was well below the level he got to towards the end of last season.  He was very good against posh, Lincoln and Hull in different roles. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Bailey said:
    That team sums up the problems, look at the group of front players, Lee, Corey Blackett Taylor, Leko and Stockley. This leaves Gilbey and Watson exposed and over run as there is not a cover from the forward group. If you are an opposing manager you would tell your players to work the space wide of Gilbey and Watson. Football is a simple game but is sometimes over complicated by fools. No offence to you Sage as your team is a reflection of the system Adkins has used most of the season, if he persists then we will lose more than win and the Accrington game will be another sad addition to the losses.
    Agreed, our system doesn't work as the wingers and Lee provide no defensive cover, and as a result our full backs and 2 midfielders get swamped, as we end up with 424 on the field. And every other opposition manager knows this, and will exploit it.

We need 3 proper midfielders, and no Lee doesn't count as he's a forward. Indeed we generally played that way under Adkins last season, 433 with 3 midfielders, 2 wingers and Stockley, so I don't know why he seems so fixated with 4231 this season.
    This is the big tactical difference to last season.  For the first few games Morgan played a similar positional role to that that Gilbey did last season.  He didn't do it very well mind, but come the Wigan home game he was basically playing as a second striker with Stockley moaning at him for being too deep for most of the time.  He was actually replaced in that role by Washington, and the Crewe game.  Its a subtle change but quite a big one. 

I have no idea why he has changed that, especially when we got over run at Oxford and MKD in the two games immediately before he changed it.  He still, at that time, had basically the same players. 

He had a chance to change it on Saturday by bringing Watson on for Lee and moving back to last seasons shape.   At least we might have got some control on the game. 

4231 isn't a system Adkins has been wed to through out his career, unlike Robinson, who has now learnt at least a bit of flexibility. 

It's literally a case of moving one player back 10 yards, it's not revelationary like moving to a back 3 or 2 up front.   We don't have any 2 that are good enough, especially when tonight Accrington will have 4 in there. 

I thought Morgan was unfairly criticised for not being the super attacking, flairy No 10 when that wasn't the role he was playing in the side, which was as one of the 3 in midfield, but the most advanced one.

He doesn't get all his defensive decisions right, but provides FAR more of a defensive shield than Lee or any of the wingers. Lee's old man might have successfully played a more defensive role for Newcastle and England, but Lee junior is much more like the Charlton Rob Lee in the side for his attacking play.
    I get what you mean but his general play was well below the level he got to towards the end of last season.  He was very good against posh, Lincoln and Hull in different roles. 
    Albie will play tonight - holding midfield.
  • Options
    I think it is going to be important we get the first goal. 
    And the second and possibly the third as well  :)
  • Options
    Has TS just come over to see Accrington? Me thinks not.
  • Options
    Can't play Leko, CBT and Kirk together. They don't track back. When Adkins put in CBT for Lee on Saturday that was a mistake when everyone was crying out for Washington. MacG needs to be dropped as well. 
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    I think it is going to be important we get the first goal. 
    And the second and possibly the third as well  :)
    Even if we get the fourth, fifth and sixth goal, you know we'll concede one AND lose the next two 2-1
  • Options
    Charlton have won one home game this season - Accrington have won one away game this season.

Both of those results came against Crewe
  • Options
    CAFC 2 - Stanley 0

I refuse to believe that Charlton won’t beat Accrington Stanley at The Valley. I refuse. 
    Frank Bruno once said I refuse to be beaten before being annihilated by Mike Tyson.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ct_addick said:
    Can't play Leko, CBT and Kirk together. They don't track back. When Adkins put in CBT for Lee on Saturday that was a mistake when everyone was crying out for Washington. MacG needs to be dropped as well. 
    Definitely agree, need players you can trust and I think the goalkeeper, Kirk and CBT would not fit that description. 
  • Options
    Would make two changes to Sage's team, Famewo in to make a back three, choose what wing backs you like and move Lee to CBT's position, if not fit Washington, oh and put Henderson between the sticks. 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Redrobo said:
    Has TS just come over to see Accrington? Me thinks not.
    Exactly. A midweek home game sandwiched inbetween 2 distanced away games. Not a cats chance in hell this was planned some time ago. I imagine it has been very hastily arranged & he's over for some very frank talking....or sacking. 
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Would make two changes to Sage's team, Famewo in to make a back three, choose what wing backs you like and move Lee to CBT's position, if not fit Washington, oh and put Henderson between the sticks. 
    Famewo one of the players doubtful tonight … so expect to see Pearce and Laville  
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    ct_addick said:
    Definitely agree, need players you can trust and I think the goalkeeper, Kirk and CBT would not fit that description. 
    If that's the basis of picking the team I don't think there will be a single name on the team sheet........
  • Options
    Here's hoping we can rise to the occasion and beat the footballing giants of Accrington Stanley...
  • Options
    This really is a must win - Adkins cannot remain if we lose this one

Saying that, I expect a convincing 3-1 victory to the Addicks
  • Options
    In the old days I didn't really appreciate the likes of Johnnie Robertson, thought he was pretty average, but now I realise the amount of work he did to help out his fullback and then have the nous and stamina to attack. Hats off Johnnie! So will DJ get a run out tonight and leave Gunter/Matthews exposed? He is such an attacking talent, likewise CBT but they have to learn to defend. Nott sure about Kirk. Give the lad time to settle I suppose. Hope Purrington plays. Sadly I think we will lose and bye bye Adkins.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    BigDiddy said:
    Adkins is a busted flush - if he stays, we will most likely go down.

TS needs to change the manager = lots of teams in this division are more dynamic and will fight to win the points. We are lightweight, unfit, poorly led and unlikely to bring out any results.  We need a hard nosed manager who will ge the best out of this squad. 

If we stay up, we can then hopefully improve next season.

We had one last season and the majority seemed against him because he told the players to get stuck in. 
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Famewo one of the players doubtful tonight … so expect to see Pearce and Laville  
    All pf the players are doubtful all the time....oh I see what you mean.
  • Options
    This has to be Adkins last stand. Surely?? I cannot take any more. Hearing Palace fans laughing about Sutton taking our place in L1 hurts. Losing to Accrington will hurt too. 2-0 again, they blow us away.
  • Options
    robroy said:
    I won’t even be watching the stream. First time I can’t be bothered to even watch that. 
    Fair enough, but I just don’t get this.
    This is a huge game tonight. 
  • Options

What this team really needs is an inspiring pre-match heavy-rock guitar solo from a middle-aged businessman dressed in tight latex trousers.

That will fire them up. 
    Only reason I'm going tonight.
  • Options
    I have bought the stream and will as usual watch willing us to win. However in truth I would rather a loss than a scrappy 1-0 or something. I want to see a good performance otherwise time for a change. For once for me the result isnt everything
  • Options
    Charlton have won one home game this season - Accrington have won one away game this season.

Both of those results came against Crewe
    If both us could only play Crewe, we'd have the automatic promotion places tied up  :D
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    robroy said:
    I won’t even be watching the stream. First time I can’t be bothered to even watch that. 
    Fair enough, but I just don’t get this.
    This is a huge game tonight. 
    And the same can be said to you Valley11.  Why the fuck would you want to pay, for let's face it will most probably be a complete ball ache.

Fair play to you.
  • Options
    Famewo has arrived at The Valley so presumably fit enough to play