Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

**Adkins Gone - Jackson Caretaker**

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Dave2l said:
    What it looks like at the moment.

Sad for Nigel as a man as lovely bloke but it wasn't working. 

Hopefully JJ & JE can do the business.

Who's Michael Flynn? 

He's either an aspiring young league 2 manager, or his name just makes people think of Walt junior
    He was the Newport Manager, resigned a few weeks ago
    Michael Flynn is highly thought of down here in lovely South Wales. However, he resigned as the Newport manager citing stress as one of the reasons.
  • Options
    Mametz said:
    Dave2l said:
    What it looks like at the moment.

Sad for Nigel as a man as lovely bloke but it wasn't working. 

Hopefully JJ & JE can do the business.

Who's Michael Flynn? 

He's either an aspiring young league 2 manager, or his name just makes people think of Walt junior
    He was the Newport Manager, resigned a few weeks ago
    Highly thought of down here in lovely South Wales. However, he resigned as the Newport manager a couple of weeks ago citing stress as one of the reasons.
    I imagine he also felt that he had taken them as far as he could
  • Options
    Nigel Adkins: Charlton Athletic sack manager after poor run - BBC Sport

Interesting quote from Louis Mendez in the above article saying and I quote

"I know he was disappointed with how the transfer window went this summer"

Which backs up the rumours that Nigel was not involved with selecting/buying the players.
    Don't dispute this but more Adkins fault for going along with it.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    A manager's job is one of motivation. Motivating a group of well trained professional athletes to execute the tactics practiced on the training ground. And to have a sense of fighting for something. Thats what all successful managers succeed in doing.   

I cant think of one occasion when I thought Adkins had that ability. To truly motivate.. His constant "positivity" spin and irksome grin made me think of football management by Tony Blair. That doesn't win football matches that wins elections. 

I am so delighted I will never hear "Yes, scotty [Minto] we were really great for that first 20 minutes .[Blair smile] .. Passing the ball around, looking dangerous [blair again] ...and, well, although we didnt get the result we wanted ... they [pick every team we have played]  showed how hard this division is [serious blair face to camera] ... But we take the positives [blair ecstatic face]  ... There was that terrific throw- in from the young lad Clare who's come in [blair grin]  shown what he can do and that delightful goal kick from Macca who has shown why he we went in for him [blair]  so we go again Tuesday. Thanks Scotty. Pleasure" [blair smirk to camera]. 

Yuk! 

Wishing Brian Clough was around ... No nonsense. Total motivation ... to the death. 
    TS should expect nothing less from the short listed candidates. 

Question One to the shortlisted candidates: 

"Are you prepared to die for Charlton Athletic football club?". 

I wonder where the motivation came from during Adkins W5 D5 L1 came from last season. 

He had a super Sub Chuks Aneke, and our Canadian winger did track back most of the time. Plus Gilbey was all action and Stockley made the most of indifferent passing and was effective.

• Options
    A manager's job is one of motivation. Motivating a group of well trained professional athletes to execute the tactics practiced on the training ground. And to have a sense of fighting for something. Thats what all successful managers succeed in doing.   

I cant think of one occasion when I thought Adkins had that ability. To truly motivate.. His constant "positivity" spin and irksome grin made me think of football management by Tony Blair. That doesn't win football matches that wins elections. 

I am so delighted I will never hear "Yes, scotty [Minto] we were really great for that first 20 minutes .[Blair smile] .. Passing the ball around, looking dangerous [blair again] ...and, well, although we didnt get the result we wanted ... they [pick every team we have played]  showed how hard this division is [serious blair face to camera] ... But we take the positives [blair ecstatic face]  ... There was that terrific throw- in from the young lad Clare who's come in [blair grin]  shown what he can do and that delightful goal kick from Macca who has shown why he we went in for him [blair]  so we go again Tuesday. Thanks Scotty. Pleasure" [blair smirk to camera]. 

Yuk! 

Wishing Brian Clough was around ... No nonsense. Total motivation ... to the death. 

I wonder where the motivation came from during Adkins W5 D5 L1 came from last season. 

He had a super Sub Chuks Aneke, and our American winger did track back most of the time. Plus Gilbey was all action and Stockley made the most of indifferent passing and was effective.

who was that?
  • Options
    edited October 2021

Yuk! 

He had a super Sub Chuks Aneke, and our American winger did track back most of the time. Plus Gilbey was all action and Stockley made the most of indifferent passing and was effective.

who was that?

Cheers Large, edited to Canadian.
    Liam Millar who had a decent learning curve at Cafc.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Redhenry said:
    PWR hearing Jacko gonna be given a go before anybody else...
    Sorry don't see the joke here :)
    Well it made me chuckle. You may have posted without reading, but your post was about 4hrs after the announcement on the official site.
  • Options

Yuk! 

They still heard Bowyers voice singing in their ears.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Got to remember with Bristol Rovers, he only had one day to prepare ahead of that game.

Sunderland again, he's only really had a few days working with the team - So I'd be surprised if we saw massive differences this weekend to what we've been seeing before... He should then have a week on the training ground, unless Sandgaard gets someone else, ahead of the Doncaster game so hopefully we'll then see his own style being implemented a little bit more.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Got to remember with Bristol Rovers, he only had one day to prepare ahead of that game.

Sunderland again, he's only really had a few days working with the team - So I'd be surprised if we saw massive differences this weekend to what we've been seeing before... He should then have a week on the training ground, unless Sandgaard gets someone else, ahead of the Doncaster game so hopefully we'll then see his own style being implemented a little bit more.
    Don't ignore the fact that for cups Adkins (more likely Sandgaard) has given him the duties of preparing and managing the side. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Don't ignore the fact that for cups Adkins (more likely Sandgaard) has given him the duties of preparing and managing the side. 
    True, but is that fact though, has it ever been mentioned in a press conference?

Genuinely ask, as know we've seen Jackson in the dugout for the EFL Trophy games, with Adkins in the stands. But is that definitely the squad / tactics that Jackson has picked himself. Or has it been the Adkins way, with Jackson just given the opportunity to lead with decisions in-game and teamtalks etc.
  • Options

May be a good chance to hit reset for this game. 

Play it simple. Defend the box etc...stuff they have coached on all there careers then have next week to implement his own ideas. 

Id take a point in this game of course but it would be nice to see go through the motions and potentially go for the jugular if we smell blood.  
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

True, but is that fact though, has it ever been mentioned in a press conference?

Genuinely ask, as know we've seen Jackson in the dugout for the EFL Trophy games, with Adkins in the stands. But is that definitely the squad / tactics that Jackson has picked himself. Or has it been the Adkins way, with Jackson just given the opportunity to lead with decisions in-game and teamtalks etc.
    Even if Adkins picked the team & Jacko was managing the team in game, our best performances this season have been in the cup
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The strong spine as mentioned in Grapevine's brief post above was pivotal in our 7 matches last season when we were winning and not conceding a goal.

Amos, Inniss, JFC and Aneke (even if from the bench)

Our spine is weak and we have no backbone.

Anyone know a good Physio looking for a job ?

• Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Leuth said:
    'non contributing lightweight wingers' is some Bowyer talk. At some point you have to back attacking play. Really annoyed by that phrase. Leko, CBT, even DJ really not contributed? Look at our goals and assists...
    Problem is that they largely don’t contribute much, especially when things aren’t going well.  I’m not saying I wouldn’t play them but the new manager will have to find a way to get them a lot more involved. 
    I would agree with this. It isn't that a way can't e found, but at this time we can't waste points trying to find it. It could be fitness as was mentioned earlier, a player like John Robinson used to get up and down and was clearly willing to run through brick walls for the team. Even last season, I recall Millar, who wasn't perfect by any means, working with the full back.

We are not really seeing this much this season. It feels like our wide players are waiting for a ball that rarely comes to them and when it does, they lack options. You hardly see them defending and it is like playing with a man down or even possibly two men down at times.

In this day and age, managers and coaches know the exact yardage a player puts in during a game and there needs to be minimum standards in this respect expected of our wide players and if they are not fit enough to meet these they have to get fitter. In the meantime we need to be solid and a bit conservative in our play and try to be more difficult to beat.
  • Options
    ''I wonder where the motivation came from during Adkins W5 D5 L1 came from last season.''

Came on the end of a run that Lee Bowyer had started, sadly Adkins motivation skills applied more to Walkers and Twitchers. Personally I never felt Adkins could put consecutive wins together in the league this season.
    Shame he didn't go after the Bolton fiasco. Nice Bloke - yes. Decent Manager for us - no.
    Will be OK as he's had plenty of pay-offs in the past!
  • Options

Do us a favour. He has been working with this lot as long as Adkins, longer in a few cases. He sits in on the technical stuff on other teams and must have had an input on this seasons selections . 

Yet here you are trying to say he hasn't  had enough time with the team. How much fucking time does he need. Things may change a bit but Jacksin us not completely  new to this squad!
    So angry!! - Of course he's been working with the squad for as long as we remember.

But he's basically been working to the Managers instructions hasnt he? - Apart from a few potential game.

Like he's said himself (quote below) - Its going to take time for that system to get through, you cant expect him to have turned up for training yesterday, to explain how they're going to operate going forward and for that to simply be the case!!

So you see Jackson having no input with Adkins and Euell also. What planet are you on. So angry ? Over what ? 
    Jackson is and has been part of this team, Euell too. 

I doubt he stood by and said, "Yes bozz, no bozz, three bags full sir. "  You described  him as a sheep or aged butler in that case.  If so he won't  be of use. 
    A new manager would not have his knowledge.  Angry indeed ! 
    I'm sure Jackson and Euell have been giving their input but at the end of the day Adkins was the Manager and he has the final say so whatever input Jackson and Euell had doesn't mean it was listened too. It could be that Adkins didn't trust their input. That is why he should have been allowed to bring Andy Crosby in instead of having Jackson and Euell forced upon him. 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    I wanted JJ to be given a chance after Bowyer left but can't deny Adkins did a decent job last season. I can't deny if he wasn't to blame for the window debacle, how he can be blamed for everything happening this season. I think we started the season as weak as I can remember and then acted in desperation.

But given that, we have ended up with some decent players and it isn't how it is framed with one manager being useless and the next being brilliant but more, you do need to make a change and change the mood. A manager losing game after game will impact on the players and sometimes you have to make a change for the sake of it and change the atmosphere and lift the pressure.

I think for that reason, Adkins should have gone after Bolton at least, but I don't hate the guy and respect that he is not solely to blame. I actually suspect he is not mainly to blame, but he still had to go and I hope JJ and JE stand up to the elements that are to blame and do what they think is right. And I hope the owner may get that and ensure they don't have any unwanted interference whatsoever in the important next couple of months.