Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

**Adkins Gone - Jackson Caretaker**

Comments

• Options
    The more I think about it, the happier I am with the idea of JJ taking over full time. I think its his unless the results stay exactly the same. There's no one out there I can think of who could galvanise an average squad of players like he will be able to with this lot. There is the worry of his reputation being tarnished but he has been very clear he wants the job and he knows what's at stake with that. 
  • Options
    I'm glad Jackson has been given a chance to prove himself  , he deserves it . A good if not exceptional player for us , he will command more respect from the players than Adkins ever would . It will be tough , but I think it has what it takes to get us performing to a better level than what we have been this season. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Got to remember with Bristol Rovers, he only had one day to prepare ahead of that game.

Sunderland again, he's only really had a few days working with the team - So I'd be surprised if we saw massive differences this weekend to what we've been seeing before... He should then have a week on the training ground, unless Sandgaard gets someone else, ahead of the Doncaster game so hopefully we'll then see his own style being implemented a little bit more.
    Don't ignore the fact that for cups Adkins (more likely Sandgaard) has given him the duties of preparing and managing the side. 
    True, but is that fact though, has it ever been mentioned in a press conference?

Genuinely ask, as know we've seen Jackson in the dugout for the EFL Trophy games, with Adkins in the stands. But is that definitely the squad / tactics that Jackson has picked himself. Or has it been the Adkins way, with Jackson just given the opportunity to lead with decisions in-game and teamtalks etc.
    Even if Adkins picked the team & Jacko was managing the team in game, our best performances this season have been in the cup
    Playing who?

Beating Crawley and Southampton kids aren't exactly a ringing endorsement. 
  • Options
    Got to remember with Bristol Rovers, he only had one day to prepare ahead of that game.

Sunderland again, he's only really had a few days working with the team - So I'd be surprised if we saw massive differences this weekend to what we've been seeing before... He should then have a week on the training ground, unless Sandgaard gets someone else, ahead of the Doncaster game so hopefully we'll then see his own style being implemented a little bit more.
    Do us a favour. He has been working with this lot as long as Adkins, longer in a few cases. He sits in on the technical stuff on other teams and must have had an input on this seasons selections . 

Yet here you are trying to say he hasn't  had enough time with the team. How much fucking time does he need. Things may change a bit but Jacksin us not completely  new to this squad!
    So angry!! - Of course he's been working with the squad for as long as we remember.

But he's basically been working to the Managers instructions hasnt he? - Apart from a few potential game.

Like he's said himself (quote below) - Its going to take time for that system to get through, you cant expect him to have turned up for training yesterday, to explain how they're going to operate going forward and for that to simply be the case!!

So you see Jackson having no input with Adkins and Euell also. What planet are you on. So angry ? Over what ? 
    Jackson is and has been part of this team, Euell too. 

I doubt he stood by and said, "Yes bozz, no bozz, three bags full sir. "  You described  him as a sheep or aged butler in that case.  If so he won't  be of use. 
    A new manager would not have his knowledge.  Angry indeed ! 
    I'm sure Jackson and Euell have been giving their input but at the end of the day Adkins was the Manager and he has the final say so whatever input Jackson and Euell had doesn't mean it was listened too. It could be that Adkins didn't trust their input. That is why he should have been allowed to bring Andy Crosby in instead of having Jackson and Euell forced upon him. 
    At the end of the day we don't know who was responsible for what. 

Saturday, and especially the Doncaster game will give us more idea though, if Jacko changes things radically
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Don't ignore the fact that for cups Adkins (more likely Sandgaard) has given him the duties of preparing and managing the side. 
    True, but is that fact though, has it ever been mentioned in a press conference?

Genuinely ask, as know we've seen Jackson in the dugout for the EFL Trophy games, with Adkins in the stands. But is that definitely the squad / tactics that Jackson has picked himself. Or has it been the Adkins way, with Jackson just given the opportunity to lead with decisions in-game and teamtalks etc.
    Even if Adkins picked the team & Jacko was managing the team in game, our best performances this season have been in the cup
    Playing who?

Beating Crawley and Southampton kids aren't exactly a ringing endorsement. 
    But are at least better results than losing to Cheltenham or Accrington Stanley. They are still the best results we've had, as low a bar as that might be. 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    The thing about other up & coming young managers/coaches is that Jackson may very well be one of those himself.  So we must give him a chance to prove that.  He’s earned it 
    100%. For how bad this season has been, I cannot wait for the Doncaster home match to see Jackson’s first game in charge. Remember Bowyers & Powell’s first game and hoping Jackson will get the similar response. 

Personally, think if we can get to January 5+ points out the relegation zone think we still be able to attract good signing in the window. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cabbles said:
    The thing about other up & coming young managers/coaches is that Jackson may very well be one of those himself.  So we must give him a chance to prove that.  He’s earned it 
    100%. For how bad this season has been, I cannot wait for the Doncaster home match to see Jackson’s first game in charge. Remember Bowyers & Powell’s first game and hoping Jackson will get the similar response. 

Personally, think if we can get to January 5+ points out the relegation zone think we still be able to attract good signing in the window. 
    Agreed - i'm always guilty of feeling optimistic whenever we make an appointment or signing even though there are plenty of reasons not to but i am starting to feel like this could be the start of a great era for us - Jackson has the fans on board and has a 'run through a brick wall for the man' type of respect from the players i reckon so if he can get the tactics sorted (the only thing that really we don't know about him yet) we could be ready for lift off   
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Genuinely nice bloke. Didn't work out for us but some of the vitriol he got was well OTT
    Agree but sadly it goes with the territory with football supporters all over. ( In this country) If he wasn't good enough fair enough but you can be sure he tried his best which is possibly more than some of his players did.
  • Options
    A manager's job is one of motivation. Motivating a group of well trained professional athletes to execute the tactics practiced on the training ground. And to have a sense of fighting for something. Thats what all successful managers succeed in doing.   

I cant think of one occasion when I thought Adkins had that ability. To truly motivate.. His constant "positivity" spin and irksome grin made me think of football management by Tony Blair. That doesn't win football matches that wins elections. 

I am so delighted I will never hear "Yes, scotty [Minto] we were really great for that first 20 minutes .[Blair smile] .. Passing the ball around, looking dangerous [blair again] ...and, well, although we didnt get the result we wanted ... they [pick every team we have played]  showed how hard this division is [serious blair face to camera] ... But we take the positives [blair ecstatic face]  ... There was that terrific throw- in from the young lad Clare who's come in [blair grin]  shown what he can do and that delightful goal kick from Macca who has shown why he we went in for him [blair]  so we go again Tuesday. Thanks Scotty. Pleasure" [blair smirk to camera]. 

Yuk! 

Wishing Brian Clough was around ... No nonsense. Total motivation ... to the death. 
    TS should expect nothing less from the short listed candidates. 

Question One to the shortlisted candidates: 

"Are you prepared to die for Charlton Athletic football club?". 

I wonder where the motivation came from during Adkins W5 D5 L1 came from last season. 
    I think in part as it was the end of the season, some of the opposition teams weren't themselves as motivated as previously.
    Hull were up or as good as up, Lincoln were guaranteed a play off place, Accrington were safely going nowhere, Crewe were going nowhere, Plymouth were going nowhere, Ipswich were going nowhere, Sunderland were on a bad run, Doncaster were on an awful downward trajectory, AFC Wimbledon were poorish.

Yes we did well and were unbeaten, but I'm far from sure we would have done as well against them teams in January/February.
  • Options
    A manager's job is one of motivation. Motivating a group of well trained professional athletes to execute the tactics practiced on the training ground. And to have a sense of fighting for something. Thats what all successful managers succeed in doing.   

I cant think of one occasion when I thought Adkins had that ability. To truly motivate.. His constant "positivity" spin and irksome grin made me think of football management by Tony Blair. That doesn't win football matches that wins elections. 

I am so delighted I will never hear "Yes, scotty [Minto] we were really great for that first 20 minutes .[Blair smile] .. Passing the ball around, looking dangerous [blair again] ...and, well, although we didnt get the result we wanted ... they [pick every team we have played]  showed how hard this division is [serious blair face to camera] ... But we take the positives [blair ecstatic face]  ... There was that terrific throw- in from the young lad Clare who's come in [blair grin]  shown what he can do and that delightful goal kick from Macca who has shown why he we went in for him [blair]  so we go again Tuesday. Thanks Scotty. Pleasure" [blair smirk to camera]. 

Yuk! 

Wishing Brian Clough was around ... No nonsense. Total motivation ... to the death. 
    TS should expect nothing less from the short listed candidates. 

Question One to the shortlisted candidates: 

"Are you prepared to die for Charlton Athletic football club?". 

I wonder where the motivation came from during Adkins W5 D5 L1 came from last season. 
    I think in part as it was the end of the season, some of the opposition teams weren't themselves as motivated as previously.
    Hull were up or as good as up, Lincoln were guaranteed a play off place, Accrington were safely going nowhere, Crewe were going nowhere, Plymouth were going nowhere, Ipswich were going nowhere, Sunderland were on a bad run, Doncaster were on an awful downward trajectory, AFC Wimbledon were poorish.

Yes we did well and were unbeaten, but I'm far from sure we would have done as well against them teams in January/February.
    And probably Adkins positivity being a nice change from Bowyer’s negativity. Our injuries also cleared up allowing us to play a more consistent 11 and formation.

I wonder if those who said we should have brought Adkins in earlier have changed their mind? Bowyer started that good run, it wasn’t all down to Adkins.
  • Options
    Who were the signings he didn't want and do you know who he wanted?
    I am sure this is all suppersition. Wonder if Adkins will ever be prepared
    to give his side of this story. Would be very interesting reading.
  • Options
    Smithy said:
    The more I think about it, the happier I am with the idea of JJ taking over full time. I think its his unless the results stay exactly the same. There's no one out there I can think of who could galvanise an average squad of players like he will be able to with this lot. There is the worry of his reputation being tarnished but he has been very clear he wants the job and he knows what's at stake with that. 
    Problem with this is that the results can hardly get any worse. So, if JJ loses tomorrow but gets a win against Donny but then draws the next couple would that make him a success....?? Would say 3 wins, 3 draws & 4 defeats be ok to keep him in post past xmas ??

Unless we see a complete turnaround with players playing how we know they should, keeping clean sheets & scoring 3's or 4's  then it's all a bit moot.
  • Options

Do us a favour. He has been working with this lot as long as Adkins, longer in a few cases. He sits in on the technical stuff on other teams and must have had an input on this seasons selections . 

Yet here you are trying to say he hasn't  had enough time with the team. How much fucking time does he need. Things may change a bit but Jacksin us not completely  new to this squad!
    Honestly now, he has been working with the team as his bosses have been telling him to do so. Bowyer, Adkins outline what they work on and JJ & JE will implement it. 

JJ can put his 2 pence in all he wants but in the end, Adkins will have final say.

He will have his own ideas on how to do things. 

Give him a break in the meantime will you.
    Dud you just write that as a wind up or are you being silly.

Of course he would have been involved. He was also training  the defence. You are painting Johnny as a non thinking Yes bozz fellow and Adkins as a deaf dictator.  Do you think the go getting Jackson see would havecput up with that ?
    Didnt say he wasnt involved, I just said he wouldnt have had the final word on things. 

He trained the defence on what the manager told him to train them on...he didnt do as he pleased.

The "go getting Jackson" would "havecput" with that as it suits the long game of his own plans!

PLUS....he is there to learn from others so he can pick there brains and learn to implement his own strategy & tactics down the line. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Let's hope Jacko can get a similar response against Sunderland on Saturday.

Charlton secure last-gasp win! | Charlton 2-1 Sunderland | Highlights | League One Play-Off Final - YouTube

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Smithy said:
    Problem with this is that the results can hardly get any worse. So, if JJ loses tomorrow but gets a win against Donny but then draws the next couple would that make him a success....?? Would say 3 wins, 3 draws & 4 defeats be ok to keep him in post past xmas ??

Unless we see a complete turnaround with players playing how we know they should, keeping clean sheets & scoring 3's or 4's  then it's all a bit moot.
    I’d be judging him on results, performances and the direction we seem to be heading. Difficult to put that down as a number of points, but we need to be looking like at least a decent mid table side rather than a relegation one. 
    And I totally agree......but I don't see tomorrow as a "free hit" like some posters do. Every point is vital & JJ is not coming in "new" so knows the players & their best positions. 

In fact I reckon we will win tomorrow. 
    I'm in between honestly. I want to see a reaction and at least a sign of changes being made but realistically Jackson will only have had a few days to adjust to his new role and to start changing things, and it will take longer than that for us to really know whether it's working. 

He's said a lot of the right things about wanting to change what wasn't working but the scale of change we need won't come easily or quickly.

I want a win tomorrow, I would take a point but even a loss wouldn't be a complete disaster IF we see players who actually try and play football for 90 minutes. 
  • Options
    We'll get a reaction tomorrow if it was true that the 'dressing room was lost.'

If instead it was a dodgy recruitment, poor players and fitness issues, the turnaround will take a lot longer. 
  • Options
    I’ve said this before over the last few years and it’s never been true but we’ve hit rock bottom. The only way is up now. Can’t think of many people that are made of Charlton rock better than JJ to guide us upwards. Won’t be easy because I don’t think we’re all that but I also don’t think we should be worrying about relegation. 
  • Options
    The performances are the key for me

I can accept us losing, but not the WAY we've been losing. I expect us to lose tomorrow, but I want Sunderland to have to work for it
    Exactly this!!!

Pretty much what JJ has said himself too!
  • Options
    We'll get a reaction tomorrow if it was true that the 'dressing room was lost.'

If instead it was a dodgy recruitment, poor players and fitness issues, the turnaround will take a lot longer. 
    It’s both 
  • Options
    Spot on, Exiled.
  • Options
    Good news for Nigel. Now he's got some time on his hands, he can go along to this: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/nigel-name-shortage-sparks-nige-25248908