Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

**Adkins Gone - Jackson Caretaker**

Comments

• Options
    JJ caretaker does make a lot of sense. He knows the players and i imagine he's well liked by them. Maybe we need a complete shake up of the coaching set up etc, but that's not gonna happen overnight and getting the right man in long term shouldn't be a quick decision. 

I'd give him at least 3-5 games, Sunderland away on Saturday is probably the toughest fixture out of the 46 - If Sandgaard is serious about thinking JJ is the right man then it shouldn't be defined on just that game.

My reservations about having Jackson as boss, isn't the fact he hasn't got experience or that he's the reason we're defending so poorly (which he's not imo), its the fact it will probably end in tears at some point. It's a ruthless business, and i'd hate for his Charlton legend status to be diminished. Having said that, we've tried the bloke who has been promoted before out of this league before and that was a disaster, so maybe JJ does deserve a chance.  
  • Options
    Jackson's first games: 

Sunderland
    Doncaster
    Rotherham
    Burton
    Plymouth

Other than Doncaster all teams that have enjoyed a very good start to the season. Think we'll be in the poo after 3 losses and a draw out of those. 
    Massive pressure on the Doncaster game, as that's the only "easy" looking game in that list

Sunderland and Rotherham are 2 promotion favourites, Burton are playing well, while Plymouth are the surprise package of the season
  • Options
    Assuming Burton is called off, we have 5 matches before the international break. Big pressure on the Doncaster game but can’t see anyone coming in before then. I see it as Jackson job to lose this time around.
  • Options
    Whoa whoa slow down people I'm missing all the new internet facts.

Just for you... 5AD, Tiberius conquers Germania Inferior
  • Options
    Sorry for NA on a personal basis as he came across as a thoroughly decent bloke but after the last 2 performances he had to go.

Good luck to JJ. He may need it. Hopefully though the players will respond to him and he can get us out of this mess we are now in.

However I just hope this doesn't turn into a Pardew/Parkinson saga. When Pardew was sacked, Parkinson was appointed on a caretaker basis and despite not winning in his first dozen or so games still got the job on a permanent basis. That didn't end too well. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Mike Bailey 
    Alan Curbishley 
    Chris Powell 
    Lee Bowyer 

All played for Charlton and went on to Manage the club to promotion.  

Come on Johnnie, add your name to the list. 
    History shows Nigel was doomed from the start - no manager since Andy Nelson in 1975 has achieved promotion from this level who hasn’t been an ex player. And since 1933, bar Seed, Nelson and Lawrence, all promotions  have been achieved by ex players.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Mike Bailey 
    Alan Curbishley 
    Chris Powell 
    Lee Bowyer 

All played for Charlton and went on to Manage the club to promotion.  

Come on Johnnie, add your name to the list. 
    Heres to hoping but if he does it this season then he can have the West Stand named after him!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2021
    For starters, a lot of the pressure will have lifted. This will impact on the players. No Charlton fan is going to get on JJs back and will give him and JE a chance. The players will know that in the short term at least their own supporters are not going to be singing how shit they are. 

I think JJ will be close to the problems and will have developed ideas on what to do differently. He should also be empowered to make brave decisions in terms of not playing certain players or a specific formation. I am expecting some sort of change of approach on Saturday. It can be subtle, you don't have to throw the baby out with the bath water, but Adkins was just re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic every week.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Whoa whoa slow down people I'm missing all the new internet facts.

Just for you... 5AD, Tiberius conquers Germania Inferior

Yeah but, did his manager tell him to do it?
  • Options
    Mugs the lot of you if you think our defensive coach is gonna turn it around.

Same old nicey nicey don't win anything in football.

Very happy to be proved wrong of course.  
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    The board meeting probably went something like this:

TS: yeh, I've just read charltonlife. Bloke called dave2l said jacko should be caretaker manager. He's a genius and knows everything about football.
    That's what we're going for.

TS wife: yeh can't go wrong with that. Dave's are usually right about stuff.
    I tried to give you a like AND a Lol.  

Apparently, that’s not allowed.  🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    This is JJs chance to join Curbs and Chrissy as undisputed Charlton legends. It isn't anything technical but I just have a feeling he is going to take it. As long as he gets a fair chance.
    I really really really really want it to work for JJ (more so then any other manager we have had come in since Powell). However I really really really cannot see it happening.

We need a whole cultural and ethos change in our coaching and backroom staff. Issue such as fitness, injuries (thankfully not so much this year) are not just something that has cropped up under Adkins. It's clearly a longstanding thing that various managers have never really been able to get on top off - Bowyer tried but that just lead to half our squad breaking down.

Alongside this there's nothing I have seen about our play style that has changed under any manager we have had since at least Robinson. 

Again I hope it work, but if it does not, and we barely pick up a point in the next 10 games. We are likely down.
    Come on, amongst our squad we've got some very good players for the level.

It just needs better fitness, organisation, consistant selection, set up and game plan.
    And for those players to give 100% and fight for the shirt.

In short, we need to become a team again.
    That's the task for Jacko and Euell.

I agree we do have talented players, which is why I don’t think overall they are to blame for the situation we are in.

Nothing in football is a given, but it’s hard for me not see past the downward spiral over the past few seasons and not see how Jackson is not somehow culpable to some extent for that.

Its all well and good people saying JJ will put fire in the players belly etc etc, but even league one football has moved far past sheer grit and determination winning you games over the long term. You can see that in the way lots of teams set up and play, even teams like Accrington Stanley are able to get the ball down and move in between the lines quickly. As a coach and manager these days you need to be able to drill players to understand and react to patterns of plays and to know where and when fellow team mates will turn up.

Weve not parlayed like that for a long long time.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Personally I don't know our best 11, and I'm not sure NA did either, the constant changes too the side must have confused/upset players imo, a settled side only rotated when necessary would help, wouldn't it. 
  • Options
    Pretty amazed a bunch of professional sportmen cannot get themselves fit.
    I guess there's a difference between fitness in general and the super level of fitness needed to be successful these days
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

To me it sounds like Jackson's been doing a bit of sandbagging so he could get the job. 

Having him as assistant when he was desperate for the managers job seemed a bit of a bad decision. Turned out that way too. 
    Sandbagging? If he'd done that, word would have soon got around and it would've been Jackson out of a job.
    Jackson was entrusted as Assistant Manager to work with Adkins and follow instructions.

Now Jacko gets the chance to do things his way. 

It's just an interesting dynamic. 

They've never worked together before and Jackson wanted the main manager's job. 

An assistant manager would offer their own input and advice rather than just following instructions no?