Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

**Adkins Gone - Jackson Caretaker**

Comments

• Options
    as said many many times above, pity that he was appointed in the first place, he is a decent man who is well past his best as a manager/coach .. I expect a new manager bounce and a win at Sunderland on Saturday
  • Options
    Jacko might turn out to be a brilliant coach & master tactician but he still has to start matches with either Davison or Stockley up front.  He might be bold & play Washington up there or even Lee or Leko. But in the end we are severely lacking up front.

As they say, you can polish a turd but in the end its still a turd. 
  • Options
    Looking forward to seeing what JJ & Euell bring to the table with them,understand it may not be what most of us want right now,but I think this is actually a sensible decision right now…how many of us have said,”given the chance we woulda got more out of this team” well unfortunately we are not going to ever be in that position,so why not give it to 2 Charlton people who want the job,they know the consequences if it goes tits up,then so be it,but if they do manage to get it right…🤞🏻,their remit is now different from what NA was…we just got to stay in this division,try for mid table & build from there,I can’t believe the players we have could be soooo Charltonalized so early in the season,hopefully the problem has know gone,but who knows & who can guess,it is what it is,let’s get behind the new set up & just forget about the euro dream & put it on the burner for now,we got another 4 seasons to do that…🙄👍,

Cmon U Addicks, JJ & Euell Red n White Army…
  • Options
    Just hoping it’s enough of a shake up to change performances. Hopefully the players will react and build confidence and belief again.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Some players aren't fit because they didn't have a proper pre-season. Maybe this would have not been a problem if the right players were brought in before pre-season started instead of panic buying/loaning in mid to late August.

Most players did do a pre season though, even if it wasn't with us.

Signing players late is rubbish for team work on the pitch etc, but the likes of Kirk, Leko, Lee, Arter, Lavelle all had pre seasons elsewhere so should have been fit. CBT spent some time with us, while Souare spent some time at Palace before joining us
  • Options
    Phil said:
    Jacko ought to get it on a permanent basis. Ignore all that lack of experience nonsense, everyone has got to start somewhere. He's more managerial experience at a higher level than Nathan Jones had when he got the Luton gig and he ain't done too bad!
    Jacko is passionate and intelligent and someone we can all readily get behind!
    COYR!  
    Jackson said himself he needed two years before he would be ready for too job that’s why NA was brought in on the understanding that Jackson was his assistant on 18 month contract so Jackson would be ready to take over … but that plan not happened ??

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    This is JJs chance to join Curbs and Chrissy as undisputed Charlton legends. It isn't anything technical but I just have a feeling he is going to take it. As long as he gets a fair chance.
    I really really really really want it to work for JJ (more so then any other manager we have had come in since Powell). However I really really really cannot see it happening.

We need a whole cultural and ethos change in our coaching and backroom staff. Issue such as fitness, injuries (thankfully not so much this year) are not just something that has cropped up under Adkins. It's clearly a longstanding thing that various managers have never really been able to get on top off - Bowyer tried but that just lead to half our squad breaking down.

Alongside this there's nothing I have seen about our play style that has changed under any manager we have had since at least Robinson. 

Again I hope it work, but if it does not, and we barely pick up a point in the next 10 games. We are likely down.
    Come on, amongst our squad we've got some very good players for the level.

It just needs better fitness, organisation, consistant selection, set up and game plan.
    And for those players to give 100% and fight for the shirt.

In short, we need to become a team again.
    That's the task for Jacko and Euell.

Well said Oggy.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Sure Nige will be a bit miffed and pissed off with the outcome but we really had no choice, it just wasn't working out, and I for one wish him well in his next venture, he comes over as a nice genuine guy and he will come good in his next role, just couldn't get it sorted here, i wish Nige all the best for the future, he was certainly a positive input at the begining  and came over sincere in his beliefs, so all the best Nige.
    Lets just see how Jacko does in the next couple of games starting Saturday, but I hope it goes well because it would be great if he proved any doubters wrong and took on the job full time, club legend B)
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

To me it sounds like Jackson's been doing a bit of sandbagging so he could get the job. 

Having him as assistant when he was desperate for the managers job seemed a bit of a bad decision. Turned out that way too. 
    Sandbagging? If he'd done that, word would have soon got around and it would've been Jackson out of a job.
    Jackson was entrusted as Assistant Manager to work with Adkins and follow instructions.

Now Jacko gets the chance to do things his way. 

It's just an interesting dynamic. 

They've never worked together before and Jackson wanted the main manager's job. 

An assistant manager would offer their own input and advice rather than just following instructions no? 
    Quite possibly the input was offered but ignored.
  • Options
    The only decision possible. The toxic atmosphere at the Valley will be lifted for a short while and the fans will get behind Jacko, remains to be seen if he can make a go of it but he has to be a better appointment than some of the names mentioned.
  • Options
    OK folks, one last time and then we can all move on.

My deepest sympathies and condolences to the 57 arseholes that LOLd me back in March when I pointed out that Adkins was an “awful appointment.”

Also in my thoughts and prayers are the jokers that tied themselves in knots trying to convince people that his 33% win rate at Hull was not an abject failure.

To be fair though compared to this season with us - win ratio of 15.3% - his time at Hull was a raging success.

After Jacko won that game vs Bristol Rovers we should have given him the job till the end of the season to see how he went, there was really nothing to lose.

Now there very much is.

What exactly are you after here? Well done, you told people so….you had a 50 / 50 chance of getting it right. I’m guessing you weren’t so keen to post the “I told you so comment”  at the back end of last season? Only when things went sour. Get over yourself ffs.
    I think he wants the Job!
  • Options
    Adkins seems like a really nice guy (although this isn't necessary to be a football manager), and its a shame it hasn't worked out.

First 10 games W5 D4 L1 19 points (50% win ratio 1.9 points per game)
    Next 13 games W2 D3 L8 9 points (15% win ratio 0.7 points per game)

Those first 10 games turned out to be such a false dawn, they bought him time this season, but nothing seemed to changing for him.

Now hoping Jacko can work his magic
  • Options
    Odds on seeing a midfield diamond on Saturday?

Stockley Leko
    Lee
    Clare Gilbey
    Dobbo/Watto/Arter
    Purr Fam Lavelle Matthews
    Mag
  • Options
    Jacko might turn out to be a brilliant coach & master tactician but he still has to start matches with either Davison or Stockley up front.  He might be bold & play Washington up there or even Lee or Leko. But in the end we are severely lacking up front.

As they say, you can polish a turd but in the end its still a turd. 
    I don’t think anyone has tried to polish a turd, hence the expression “you can’t polish a turd”.
    You could go down the glitter line, but it will indeed still be shit.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think Adkins did try to get players fit by chopping and changing but that didn't work and contributed to the slide. We can see the lack of fitness in the side in games where some players are clearly running on empty. This shouldn't be happening in late October but is a consequence of our transfer window. 
  • Options
    Jackson rightly gets his chance.

Really hope he grabs it.
  • Options

Stockley Leko
    Lee
    Clare Gilbey
    Dobbo/Watto/Arter
    Mag
    I wouldn't be surprised to see the old warrior Pearce involved, instead of Famewo.

If Pratley was still here, he'd have played too!

• Options

Stockley Leko
    Lee
    Clare Gilbey
    Dobbo/Watto/Arter
    Mag
    Close to an example of a formation a mentioned a few games back, just can't see it happening with the whole 'cultural 4-3-3' change.

Wonder what it would mean for Kirk, CBT, and DJ if it was the case.
  • Options

Stockley Leko
    Lee
    Clare Gilbey
    Dobbo/Watto/Arter
    Mag
    I think Saturday is (and should be) more of a park the bus performance for this team.
  • Options
    I think it is the right decision - the hope must be that JJ was carrying out Adkins instructions and he has a completely different outlook on things - i guess we will know in a few months time - the aim has to be just to stay up for now