Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

**Adkins Gone - Jackson Caretaker**

Comments

• Options
    Not super psyched to see the return of the diamond, never been a huge fan of it. It'll be interesting to see how Jackson lines up given that last season we had players Bowyer had brought in to work in the diamond, and this year we've signed players for a 4-2-3-1/4-3-3. Having Leko, CBT, Kirk and DJ kicking their heels doesn't seem like the best possible choice we could make. I wouldn't hate to see two proper strikers but I don't think we've got the defenders to play 3-5-2. I guess we'll see
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    We can't do much, but one thing we can do is give Johnnie and Jason all of our support and faith. They are both proper Charlton and wore our shirt with distinction so let's expect the come back to start here. 
  • Options
    Happy that Adkins is gone, lovely guy but results were awful and something needed to change. 

JJ in charge, at least we as fans can get behind him. He's never let us down I think/hope he surprises a few 
  • Options
    Right decision however I remain to be convinced about JJ. I simply can’t tell how good he is, or could be, or how much responsibility he has for the current situation. Knowing and having loyalties to the club, being a great player and well liked, does not necessarily equate to being a good manager. Personally I don’t think pitching him into the current situation is good for his development and is unreasonable.

Viewed from another perspective Sandgaard has dithered over Adkins and is now dithering over a replacement. If this goes wrong we might end up in an even worse situation in three games. Of course he will gain short term popularity (which he clearly loves) and save money with this decision, however it it’s certainly not without its risks, and doesn’t suggest an underlying strategy. Seriously what was being discussed into the small hours?!? 

I sincerely hope I’m wrong and JJ is the next Curbs
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Happy for Jackson to have a crack but surely they need to bring someone more experienced in the support them?
  • Options
    Inevitable that NA had to go in the end. Nice guy but just couldn't seem to break the losing mentality.

Bringing in a completely new team with a game on Saturday would be optimistic to say the least and as has been said, we've a good record of appointing from within. Apart from Les Reed, they've been pretty successful, usually under much more difficult circumstances behind the scenes than we thankfully have at the moment.

The only immediate change I'd like to see is the appointment of Steve Brown as part of the coaching team to concentrate on the defence. We need some clean sheets if we're going to climb the League and his no-nonsense approach is what I'd say is needed to start building some confidence within the team again. (I expect someone has already said this but haven't had time to read the whole thread!)
  • Options
    edited October 2021

It was inevitable and probably should have happened a month ago.

Don't share the 'need for a complete clear out' theory. 

Having witnessed Jackson as a player personally turning games around  based on his sheer bloody grit, tenacity and determination I find it hard to believe that we will see any more half-hearted, limp and defeatist performances from the team.

He is proper Charlton. 

We might lose heavily to Sunderland but we will go down fighting as a team - that's my expectation.

If we get anything from that match against all the odds, he will be rightly hailed as the new Messiah . 

I am backing him. 
    I hope so, but the same was said about Stuart Pearce, famous for his passion and commitment, but it didn't rub off on his teams as a  manager 
  • Options
    I think Adkins did try to get players fit by chopping and changing but that didn't work and contributed to the slide. We can see the lack of fitness in the side in games where some players are clearly running on empty. This shouldn't be happening in late October but is a consequence of our transfer window. 

With TS highlighting it do you not think the issue may be actaully NA not doing enough fitness work within the training schdules? 
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Sad on a personal level to see Adkins leave but it is the right decision. 

Think he's a decent man but for whatever reason or reasons it hasn't worked this season. I don't think the players or the senior leadership team come out of this spotless.

I know some fans will be saying JJ and JE are part of the problem and should go too but we can't be sure of that.  Maybe now we'll find out. 

Many years ago when Charlton sacked Steve Gritt but kept his co-manager on I didn't see the logic and thought they both should have gone. And I wasn't the only one.

And I knew nothing about Ken Craggs' assistant who stepped up when he left.

Sometimes the solution to your problem is already in your hands. 

I'm the same i still know nothing about Leighton Phillips
    The reason Lawrence was picked was because he had some Caretaker Manager experience at Plymouth and as Reserve Team Manager he knew the club but was far enough from the first team to have some perspective .

Phillips had been the most capped Welsh International defender at the time with 58 Caps and seemed to be a shoe in . He ended up having a brief spell at Exeter later that season and disappearing back to South wales as a Financial Adviser . He now is a Swansea Season Ticket holder Swans and Dragons: Leighton Phillips | Swansea (swanseacity.com)
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Bye Nige, regardless of any other factors he had to go, wish him well.

Not expecting much in the way of changes tbh, hopefully get that "new manager bounce". 

I'd like to see DJ back involved. Washington paired upfront with Leko (in a back to basics 442) & Dobson back in the squad.

For me Dobson was no worse than anyone else. Put in some promising performances and didnt deserve to be completely pushed out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mac

Matthews
    Famewho
    Lavelle
    Purrington

Washington 
    Dobson
    Arter
    Clare

Stockely  
    Leko

Back to basics - solid - Lee, CBT and Davidson to come off bench as game opens up  

• Options
    All I can say is.......  YES.

Nigel Adkins is a good man and I wish him well, but he deserved to be sacked weeks ago.  Not making the worst performing side we've ever had hard to beat is inexcusable.  Whatever issues that have occurred, the biggest factor in appalling results is Nigel.  We don't have a great squad, but neither are they relegation quality.
  • Options
    As a manager, you really want your squad ready and fit on day one. When you have that level, it is easier to keep it. I think the preparation for the season was a joke and I doubt Adkins was to blame for that. He had to go because he didn't have the answers and a reset often helps. It isn't always that the manager replacing him is better, but just the fact he is different. 

Had we started the season with a few improvements to the squad that ended last season, we would be up there. But rather than have continuity and momentum and build from that, we lost key players and go back to the first game of the season and we had a team with few goals in it and a bench of kids.

Then it is hard playing catch up and I think it is easier for JJ as he will have a freshness to the role, players who will feel pressure lifted and a squad that he ought to be able to steer to safety. Adkins wasn't fully to blame, but he was the manager and had to go. JJ and JE have to be their own men. They don't need Roddy interfering at all, and Sandgaard needs to sort that out if it is a potential issue. Which I don't know if it is or isn't.
  • Options
    Diamond formation? Is Roland back as adviser then?
  • Options
    I wonder what his administration talents are like…..we need a CEO?
    I realise that’s a somewhat ‘out of left field’ comment but he’s a popular individual.
    Not going to happen of course but an interesting thought.🤔
  • Options
    Thank fuck for that.  Nice guy, shit manager
    Actually, shit manager is probably a bit harsh.  I just think he'd been out of the game too long & was out of his depth 
    That explains why only 2 missed penalties stopped us getting in the playoffs while beating playoff contenders home or away. Plus a 6-0 win at Plymouth.  

I think the shoddy recruitment is to blame and that probably lays elsewhere mostly. After the dead cat bounce, then what. Nothing will have changed.
    That was last season?
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Oggy Red said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Mac

Matthews
    Famewho
    Lavelle
    Purrington

Washington 
    Dobson
    Arter
    Clare

Stockely  
    Leko

Back to basics - solid - Lee, CBT and Davidson to come off bench as game opens up  

No Gilbey?

I would honestly play Clare RB at the moment. We are so poor RB and Clare is meant to be decent there. I know that's why he left Oxford but needs must at the moment and promise him game time. Can re-evaluate in January but I don't trust Matthews or Gunter there at the moment. It's that bad that if Clare is preferred in CM I would put a u23 RB.
  • Options
    This news will wipe the smile off Havant & Waterlooville's faces
    All 9 of them