Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

**Adkins Gone - Jackson Caretaker**

Comments

• Options
    JJ and Euell the next Curbs and Gritt? 

No.

Steve and Alan were joint managers until Murray decided Alan could make decisions more than Steve. ( Murray said this at a meeting)

JJ will pick the team and Jason will be his Assistant.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    TEL said:
    Thomas saying a noisy minority wanted Adkins out.

Showing a bit more naivety in my opinion. 

I know he means well but the club is crying out for a football savvy CEO.
    Naivety ...... or just minimally answering a journo's question and keeping much of the rest to himself?

Agree with you though with needing a savvy and experienced football CEO.

I honestly believe he is naive in football terms. 
    Do you think a small minority of fans wanted the manager sacked?
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    OK folks, one last time and then we can all move on.

My deepest sympathies and condolences to the 57 arseholes that LOLd me back in March when I pointed out that Adkins was an “awful appointment.”

Also in my thoughts and prayers are the jokers that tied themselves in knots trying to convince people that his 33% win rate at Hull was not an abject failure.

To be fair though compared to this season with us - win ratio of 15.3% - his time at Hull was a raging success.

After Jacko won that game vs Bristol Rovers we should have given him the job till the end of the season to see how he went, there was really nothing to lose.

Now there very much is.

Jesus wept lad, who hurt you? I can only imagine the burning rage you've had in your heart ever since 57 people laughed at you for being a bit of a ranting nut. I imagine there's a Sainsbury's employee who didn't give you your nectar points once sat there not knowng they're on your list, unready for the comeuppance they're about to receive. What a life.
    They’ve already heard about it on Sainsbury’s Life 
    Actually, there's a great current takeover thread on there, for those of you who like that kind of thing.
  • Options
    Shame for Adkins but I couldn’t see him being able to turn this around, should’ve happened after the Cheltenham game though when there was less of a mountain to climb…
    I’ve confidence in JJ and hope he is allowed to choose the formation and players he wants….
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    I'll read the "players not fit enough" comment as meaning they don't have the general level of fitness to play a high intensity pressing game, rather than match fitness.

We've tried playing like that and as most of us have said, half the players are fucked after 40 minutes.

Sean Clare is fit enough to play a game of league one football for 90 minutes, but can he charge around covering his areas of the pitch closing down and pressing oppo players for 90? Nope.

Someone obviously forgot to tell the Aussie fella to add "athlete" "stamina" and "aggressive" into the black box search query.
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Odds on seeing a midfield diamond on Saturday?

Stockley Leko
    Lee
    Clare Gilbey
    Dobbo/Watto/Arter
    Purr Fam Lavelle Matthews
    Mag
    A very good call Canters, should have happened weeks ago.
    I think given the opponents on Saturday, it is the way to go. We are playing two wide men and they are not consistently contributing to attack and/or defence at the moment so that has to be a starting point. That isn't to say we won't find a system to accommodate one or two of them, but now it is making sure we compete or even win the midfield battles.

In many ways Sunderland away is a great first game. Nobody is expecting much from it and I have a suspicion that Sunderland aren't that good. With a diamond midfield and the quality we do have, I think we can frustrate them. It is going to be important that we carry a threat and I think Stockley and Leko up top ought to pose problems.  
    Sunderland will have had us watched. And may well set up and have a gameplan to take advantage of an Adkins' shape and set up.

If Jacko goes up there with a diamond or a narrow 4-4-2, that could completely throw Sunderland to start with.

• Options
    Mametz said:
    I was one of those who was reasonably pleased with Adkin’s appointment. After the chaos of the Roland years and the turbulent end of Bowyer’s reign, he seemed to be a cool head who had had some success as a manager. The close miss of the play offs last season seemed to back that impression. I thought that with a reasonable amount of financial backing from TS we would be somewhere in the promotion mix this season.

My worries started over the lack of much transfer activity over the close season. Most of the new players came in after the pre-season friendlies and a lot after league season had begun. The first game I attended was Oxford where we were truly terrible. I still believed that the situation would be turned around after a few games. It hasn’t been and we are genuinely in a relegation battle. Tactics that were failing in August are being endlessly repeated game after game. Hoofball! Adkins had to go.

However, the person or people responsible for the  recruitment and transfer policy over the summer ought to go as well because that has been a shambles that has contributed mightily to the omni-shambles of the last few months. 
    Agreed but i guess there are a series of cheaper options to try first - what has just happened being the cheapest and most logical.  If Jackson can't get them playing either then another managerial set up is next - with existing backroom staff - then with a new backroom staff - if none of that works its a complete player clear out along with roddy and his black box and probably gallen - in fact a new manager appointment will probably involvea  few candidates having a good say on our squad at interview so may well prove very useful in gauging the merits of roddy and co.    
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    The owner saying the players aren’t fit enough two or so months into the season is a damming indictment not just of Adkins, but if the whole coaching set up. 
    And as Golfie said, maybe the recruitment side of things.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    DOUCHER said:
    I reckon he'll stick Henderson in goal and bring Pearce into the starting 11 and as canters said, probably play a diamond midfield
    trust me, henderson looks way off - i think there's more chance of him becoming the goalkeeping coach 
    Not disagreeing but why he's on the bench? To justify the signing? May as well have Harness there if Henderson is way off. If MacGillivray doesn't improve maybe AMB should be given a go in January. 
    i genuinely believe he will become the coach to replace the no mark that roddy brought in - i don't know but it won't surprise me at all 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DOUCHER said:
    I reckon he'll stick Henderson in goal and bring Pearce into the starting 11 and as canters said, probably play a diamond midfield
    trust me, henderson looks way off - i think there's more chance of him becoming the goalkeeping coach 
    Then why on earth did we sign him?

We must be getting to the stage where thought must be being given to pulling MacGillivray out for a few games but if Henderson isn't up to it and we've packed Maynard-Brewer off to Scotland on loan then there is no-one to challenge MacGillivray for his position which is madness.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Mac

Matthews
    Famewho
    Lavelle
    Purrington

Washington 
    Dobson
    Arter
    Clare

Stockely  
    Leko

Back to basics - solid - Lee, CBT and Davidson to come off bench as game opens up  

No Gilbey?

Make you right Oggy, and in the cauldron of the Stadium of light I would have Watson in there, his second half performance at Gillingham shows why, calm head gets the ball down and passes.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    If Adkins never got the job and it was handed straight to JJ earlier this year. I wonder where we would be now.

Would have also saved a £1m or 2
    Jackson turned it down said he was not ready .. 

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Croydon said:
    Phil said:
    Jacko ought to get it on a permanent basis. Ignore all that lack of experience nonsense, everyone has got to start somewhere. He's more managerial experience at a higher level than Nathan Jones had when he got the Luton gig and he ain't done too bad!
    Jacko is passionate and intelligent and someone we can all readily get behind!
    COYR!  
    We'll see how the team play against Sunderland. Not expecting us to win, but if there's no improvement in shape or tactics then he has to go too.
    Wow, you’re literally giving him one game?! I’m not 100% convinced he’s the right guy, but that’s harsh. 
    I've said on the other thread he gets 4-5 games, but if we play like we did on Tuesday (zero effort, zero sense) and get pumped 5-0 then clearly he was part of the problem under Adkins. I don't think that will happen though.
  • Options
    I predict some improvement from our results with Nigel Adkins under Jackson.
  • Options
    Have the club given any indication when they expect the next manager to be installed?
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Then why on earth did we sign him?

We must be getting to the stage where thought must be being given to pulling MacGillivray out for a few games but if Henderson isn't up to it and we've packed Maynard-Brewer off to Scotland on loan then there is no-one to challenge MacGillivray for his position which is madness.
    my thoughts on it are above 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Here is the Talkshite Interview With Thomas this morning LINK
  • Options
    Be good to see an interview with JJ to get the place going again! 
  • Options
    I'm a bit uneasy about TS saying the players are unfit. It begs several questions.

I certainly agree that the energy levels that we saw, especially in the first half of last season under Bow, are not visible this season. Although there are some exceptions; Gilbey obviously, as well pointed out in a post above. Davidson. Stockley. Morgan. Lavelle. Leko, he has never looked fitter, nor more up for it. I don't think fitness is Kirk's problem, much more what's going on in his head. Are we saying that fitness is what makes Gunter a shadow of the player that featured in the Euros, and nearly scored the first goal against Italy in 30 games? Is it fitness that makes his potential replacement a shadow of the player we saw in the Championship?

So why might some players be fitter than others? (OK, Soare and CBT might have obvious excuses, although I'm not sure about CBT's case. First half on Tuesday I thought, aha, this is why a L2 team let him go...then he gets a rocket and is on fire. For about 15 minutes.)

And if TS has more to go on than just watching on a stream, like me, who has informed him? And who is responsible for it?
    If it wasn't our club and it was happening to someone else this would be hilarious. All we heard last season from the 'experts' on here was Bowyer was running the players into the ground by training them too hard. Now we have the owner saying they are not fit enough despite his appointment of Ged Roddy being responsible for Sports Science and he stays in post (Adkins had to go as well)
  • Options
    Jackson's first games: 

Sunderland
    Doncaster
    Rotherham
    Burton
    Plymouth

Other than Doncaster all teams that have enjoyed a very good start to the season. Think we'll be in the poo after 3 losses and a draw out of those. 
    That’s the spirit. 
  • Options
    I do have a slight concern that Jacko is just a little too close to the players. He’s a diamond bloke but as manager he can’t be friends with any of them. He doesn’t have to be a tyrant or bully but he has to be the boss and everyone needs to want to stay on his right side. Curbs was so successful because he was the boss. Players didn’t mess him around and if they did they knew about it. I believe it helped that Curbs was fastidious in his new signings being the right type. I’m not sure JJ is going to get that level of autonomy or perhaps hasn’t really got that hard streak in him. I guess we’ll see soon enough.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Have the club given any indication when they expect the next manager to be installed?
    At the moment they are working flat out to secure free train travel. 
  • Options
    Let's just be grateful that the CEO Rockstar owns us while we are languishing in the third tier and nobody outside the fan base gives a shit. I really hope it works for Jackson even though I wanted to see a new coaching set up and strategy. But man alive Thomas really loves the sound of his own voice. And the timing of the announcement plus him on Talkshite?? To come out that stuff about the players fitness and aggression on a national radio station talk about an own goal. 
  • Options
    I do have a slight concern that Jacko is just a little too close to the players. He’s a diamond bloke but as manager he can’t be friends with any of them. He doesn’t have to be a tyrant or bully but he has to be the boss and everyone needs to want to stay on his right side. Curbs was so successful because he was the boss. Players didn’t mess him around and if they did they knew about it. I believe it helped that Curbs was fastidious in his new signings being the right type. I’m not sure JJ is going to get that level of autonomy or perhaps hasn’t really got that hard streak in him. I guess we’ll see soon enough.
    I never liked the players calling Bowyer "Lee" which i guess came from when he was just a coach, can see JJ having a similar thing  
  • Options
    Curbs was a player when he was appointed with Gritty. I'm sure he can help JJ with advice on that front. I think a call to Chrissy won't do any harm either. He was liked and respected by the players and gained success too. JJ was there anyway so he would know what happened.