Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

**Adkins Gone - Jackson Caretaker**

Comments

• Options
    Johnnie, oh Johnnie Jackson sends out the team for me...

I have no ill feeling for Nigel at all but it had gone too far ever to turn around. After being offended by Bowyer, then misunderstood or asked to do too much by Adkins, some of the players have nowhere else to hide now. Jacko may or may not prove to be a successful manager but we know how much he cares about our club - time for the players he selects to demonstrate they do too.
  • Options
    CAFCTJSE said:
    Jacko interim, curious to see who we go for for permanent manager
    Indeed
    Really?

Surely we're not that desperate its going on indeed?
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Oggy Red said:
    mogodon said:
    A decent man but one seemingly not really given the back-up within the club to succeed and his departure has been inevitable for weeks.  
    It makes you wonder why this decision was not reached a month ago.

I wondered that , was Thomas wanting to 'do the deed' face to face, and it couldn't / didn't fit in with his hectic schedule,to come over in which case , why is he COO?
  • Options
    Sam_777 said:
    seth plum said:
    From memory Jackson has played under or observed a lot of managers since he has been at Charlton.

Phil Parkinson
    Keith Peacock
    Chris Powell
    Jose Riga
    Bob Peeters
    Damian Matthew
    Guy Luzon
    Karel Fraeye
    Russell Slade
    Karl Robinson
    Kevin Nugent
    Lee Bowyer
    Nigel Adkins

I wonder what the single best quality Jacko could take as a learning point from each person on that list.
    Don't be shit
    Exactly - someone new to the company once asked me what my teams mission statement was, to which I answered “Don’t fuck up”
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    clive said:
    Sandgaard talking to Jim White & Simon Jordan on TalkSport this morning, begins about 21 minutes.

https://talksport.com/radio/listen-again/1634806800/1634808600/

That interview worries me.

Sandgaard thinks that we have a talented squad and that the recipe for success is that we run a few more miles and be aggressive from the first whistle.

It looks like Jackson has the job until he loses it.

Clearly there will be no more backroom exits.  The Roddy blackbox and TLAs are here to stay.

OK ... if you can't beat 'em ... we should all just take a back seat, chill out a bit more and see what the cat brings home.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2021
    For posterity

• Options
    20 points behind Plymouth!!!  Plymouth!!!
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    clive said:
    Sandgaard talking to Jim White & Simon Jordan on TalkSport this morning, begins about 21 minutes.

https://talksport.com/radio/listen-again/1634806800/1634808600/

That interview worries me.

Sandgaard thinks that we have a talented squad and that the recipe for success is that we run a few more miles and be aggressive from the first whistle.

It looks like Jackson has the job until he loses it.

Clearly there will be no more backroom exits.  The Roddy blackbox and TLAs are here to stay.

OK ... if you can't beat 'em ... we should all just take a back seat, chill out a bit more and see what the cat brings home.
    I can definitely see the concern but I would imagine that Sandgaard's probably doing at least a little bit of damage control. Certainly he's unlikely to be saying in a radio interview that the players are a bunch of feckless wasters and we have to bin off the lot of them and start from scratch. I imagine there's probably been talks about what went wrong with Adkins as well that won't be shared. 
  • Options
    That Table hurts.

We have taken one point from nine games against teams in the top 16.
  • Options
    I think TS got the impression that the players were not fit from Adkins. He said so often enough.
  • Options
    If he plays Davidson and stockley together from the start at least we will know if my major tactical change makes any significant difference. 
  • Options
    I wish people would stop going on about how Adkins is  decent man.

He kicked my dog when he was out walking and said "brilliant".
    I saw the incident. Your dog went down far too easily, when he was barely touched. It's a contact sport, it's a man's game, the standard of referees is terrible etc
    TBF Adkins was tactically naive.

Or something.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well I don't see any tangible improvement.  Jackson out.
  • Options
    The League Table really does hurt me. Never seen anything like it. Less points than games, with team's that have no footballing history behind them around us. (Said without sounding like a time big Charlie...or Johnnie).
  • Options
    Mametz said:
    I was one of those who was reasonably pleased with Adkin’s appointment. After the chaos of the Roland years and the turbulent end of Bowyer’s reign, he seemed to be a cool head who had had some success as a manager. The close miss of the play offs last season seemed to back that impression. I thought that with a reasonable amount of financial backing from TS we would be somewhere in the promotion mix this season.

My worries started over the lack of much transfer activity over the close season. Most of the new players came in after the pre-season friendlies and a lot after league season had begun. The first game I attended was Oxford where we were truly terrible. I still believed that the situation would be turned around after a few games. It hasn’t been and we are genuinely in a relegation battle. Tactics that were failing in August are being endlessly repeated game after game. Hoofball! Adkins had to go.

However, the person or people responsible for the  recruitment and transfer policy over the summer ought to go as well because that has been a shambles that has contributed mightily to the omni-shambles of the last few months. 
    Re your last paragraph.
    Little or nothing is known as to the severity of constraints they ‘may’ have had to work under.
    It would seem that there were some as a number of players on Adkins wish list weren’t signed.🤔
  • Options
    Finally!! I’m glad Jacko and Jason have got it. 
  • Options
    Elder statesman figure that Jacko is closest to is Chris Powell, by a country mile. If he wants advice that’s who he’ll be asking, IMO, not Curbs.

I’d much rather Jacko succeeds than we get someone else in, but there is a risk this becomes just another attempt to justify a set-up that is broken. 
    True enough, but then going for a completely clean sweep could be argued as a risk of throwing the baby out with the bathwater, especially if the hypothetical new team didn't get off to a flying start themselves. 

I'm personally not sure that Jackson is the best person to stop the rot and oversee a total reinvention of the team's culture/mentality but I can see why it might appeal for reasons other than the financial. 
  • Options
    My biggest thing is the lack of player motivation....I have seen that this season with a lot of players lacking the fighting spirit needed to compete.....JJ is partly to blame for that because he is part of the coaching team....I hope he can turn it around.....  
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:
    To all thos that are saying JJ was already part of the coaching team and so won’t make much of an impact or difference, remember when Bows first took over from Robbo? Wasn’t it the same comments , but he changed things completly and got a reaction I’m sure Jacko can do the same 
    We were 9th when Bowyer took over, and finished that season 6th, so the impact was important, but not massive. The team wasn't quite good enough for promotion that season, whoever was coaching them
  • Options
    RobRob
    edited October 2021
    Not being fit is not just about physical though. If the players were uncomfortable with how they were supposed to play or even not really knowing what their role really was then that would affect them mentally which could result in them not getting into the game. Not be enthusiastic for it. That’s probably why when we would go 1 down or any sort of change took place then everything would just fall apart. 

I think Sandgaard knows that. For crying out loud. They are professional footballers so it shouldn’t take too much to get physically fit. But, it’s not all about that.