Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Women to rebrand as "Charlton Ladies" - turned down by FA (p28)

Comments

• Options
    I would guess it came from the FA who are quiet intent on wanting to make a point 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    I asked the same question last season when she was responding on social media re the inflated attendance figures the club was giving out. Judging by the flack I got a large proportion of fans, at least on here are happy with her involvement and comments even though she is not an employee of the club.

I got/get the feeling TS has asked her to run the women's side of things, possibly her idea re the name change hence the letter??
  • Options
    I think he would have got the change through if only he had gone for ‘Charlton Lahadies’
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Whilst I’m not particularly fussed about the name it is something Thomas was pushing for.
    Another thing I believe he is pushing for is to stop all the leaks from the club

The fact this letter managed to get into the hands of a reporter, moreover the particular reporter it fell into the hands of, is potentially going to seriously piss him off.
    I’m afraid that’s what we call in the business “hard luck”.  
    'The business' LMAO
  • Options
    Fails the height test does Tom. 
  • Options
    The club are proud to welcome you to our new official club website. The new website provides a one-stop hub for Charlton fans, with coverage of our men’s first team, women’s first team, academy, girl's Regional Talent Club (RTC) and Community Trust, as we are all “one club”.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes, but what about the ladies?
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Swisdom said:
    Whilst I’m not particularly fussed about the name it is something Thomas was pushing for.
    Another thing I believe he is pushing for is to stop all the leaks from the club

The fact this letter managed to get into the hands of a reporter, moreover the particular reporter it fell into the hands of, is potentially going to seriously piss him off.
    Do you believe the theory that certain things have been leaked on purpose to identify who’s passing information on?

In the last few months we’ve been about to sign Bostock and Marquis, the Spain trip was cancelled, TS hadn’t paid rent for months and he’s been looking to sell the club.
    It’s…Rebekah Vardy
  • Options
    Jackson sorted it  :D
  • Options
    There are only 10 players listed on the team page of the website. No goalkeeper and no real strikers. 

Contract extensions are being drip fed to us at about one per week. 

A cause for concern given the number of players released. 
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Glass of White Wine or Fruit based drink.......
  • Options
    Lois Heuchan has left Charlton to join London City Lionesses.

A big loss. 

Not enough effort seems to be going into getting a squad together.
  • Options
    There's a perception within the women's game that "Ladies" implies an amateur team and "Women" implies a professional one, There isn't a simple relationship, and there's certainly no rule about it, and it's easy enough to find exceptions, but that's how people see it. So it's understandable why there would be objections, even if you wouldn't be able to find anything in a rule book to say it's wrong.

I do get what TS is trying to do underneath all this - "Charlton Athletic Women's FC" sounds like an independent club, which is what it used to be, and I can see why he'd want to make it clear that they're a full part of the club, not separate. And a change to "Charlton Athletic FC Women" is a bit too subtle for any sort of big announcement. It's just the name he chose has implications he may not have been aware of at the time, and there surely comes a time when the right thing to do is forget what the team's called and focus on the fact they're one of the top 20 women's teams in the country
    One way for TS to still come out on top and get some good PR for the women’s team (deliberately using small capitals if you read on) would be to rebrand them as Charlton Athletic FC making us truly one club.

If they have to have a slightly different name to meet any rules for inclusion in their League then ‘Women’ on the end would be an improvement. Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea all changed from originally being … Ladies FC. On Sky Sports Man City are often just referred to by the club name without the Women part of their title. Chelsea seem always to be titled Chelsea Women.

We are very good on here at bemoaning the FA and especially the EFL. In this instance all I can say is well played the FA.

For the record I would greet any bunch of female players with the title ‘Ladies’. I would do the same to a bunch of male players as I wouldn’t presume some fake matey-ness* by calling them ‘Lads’ instead of ‘Gentlemen’. I would only ever refer to them as a Men’s team or a Women’s team when discussing them though.

* not sure if that’s a word but spelling it with an ‘I’ instead of the ‘et’ I opted for makes it sound like early afternoon cinéma / theatre
  • Options
    Beat Glasgow Rangers 1-0 in a pre-season friendly. Winner scored by a trialist!
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    swordfish said:
    swordfish said:
    It's a shame that the achievement of incorporating the women's team into the club and turning them professional has been tarnished to some degree by this episode.

Hopefully TS will not now contest the decision, although he'd have to write off any cost already incurred in the rebranding, money which would have been better used for less misguided initiatives.

If he does contest it, he will have chosen the wrong issue to make a stand on imo due to the negative messaging surrounding it.

That said, tbh, I wasn't aware that the term was considered outdated  before this came up, and have always begun my speeches "Ladies & Gentlemen," not realizing some might take offence. Not all though and my wife says she doesn't have an issue with it.

Perhaps it's more a generational thing. As one of my favourite characters from Heartbeat, Claude Jeremiah Greengrass used to say often, "I'm nearly an old age pensioner now you know!"

Doh, apologies for that. it's Senior Citizen now isn't it, or is that now 'so last year' too. I give up. It's all so confusing nowadays 🤔
    Did you refer to the male players as “gentlemen” and wouldn’t it feel absurd to do so? I think it’s as simple as that.
    To answer your questions, no and yes, but I never would have in the first place and nothing has changed for them. For the womens teams though, many have changed their monicas to reflect the times we live in.
    It was so much simpler when the FA had banned them. 

The Preston woman footballers of the 1920's who were banned as the crowds were too big will be looking down with pride when they see the England woman being allowed to express their skills on a big stage as Professional players.

Thomas Sandgaard and his partner were out of kilter with the concensus.
    It's talking in the vernacular to say Woman footballers. 

When your at the Matches, you hear Girls said whether it's a 17 year old young player or a 37 year old veteran player the male and female crowd are talking about. When you write it down as a group name you say Women.
    I don't think it's that complicated.

I still feel the majority of CL who are men who don't have sporting competitive daughters, sister, wives etc really understand what the fuss is about.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Crusty54 said:

A big loss. 

I think we've signed 8 players since this post. Do you think it might have been a bit premature?
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Always makes me picture Little Britain 🤦🏻‍♂️   

This was said to me by a female friend:

Women footballers when written down.
    Girls when spoken about regardless of age.
    Ladies on a night out when dressed to kill.

Don't shoot the messenger.
  • Options

Always makes me picture Little Britain 🤦🏻‍♂️   

This was said to me by a female friend:

Women footballers when written down.
    Girls when spoken about regardless of age.
    Ladies on a night out when dressed to kill.

Don't shoot the messenger.
    For some reason the image of Viz’s ‘fat slags’ has popped into my mind. 
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:

A big loss. 

I think we've signed 8 players since this post. Do you think it might have been a bit premature?
    Definitely not. We need a team and substitutes. Only one goalkeeper signed. No cover in the backs. 
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    swordfish said:
    It's a shame that the achievement of incorporating the women's team into the club and turning them professional has been tarnished to some degree by this episode.

Hopefully TS will not now contest the decision, although he'd have to write off any cost already incurred in the rebranding, money which would have been better used for less misguided initiatives.

If he does contest it, he will have chosen the wrong issue to make a stand on imo due to the negative messaging surrounding it.

That said, tbh, I wasn't aware that the term was considered outdated  before this came up, and have always begun my speeches "Ladies & Gentlemen," not realizing some might take offence. Not all though and my wife says she doesn't have an issue with it.

Perhaps it's more a generational thing. As one of my favourite characters from Heartbeat, Claude Jeremiah Greengrass used to say often, "I'm nearly an old age pensioner now you know!"

Doh, apologies for that. it's Senior Citizen now isn't it, or is that now 'so last year' too. I give up. It's all so confusing nowadays 🤔
    Did you refer to the male players as “gentlemen” and wouldn’t it feel absurd to do so? I think it’s as simple as that.
    Cricket used to have Gentlemen v Players.

I think our team last season were Gentlemen.  Not many were players if performance is anything  to go by.
    It did - and it finished in 1962 (50 years ago!).

I only know this because I recently read David Kynaston's book On The Cusp, about Britain in 1962, although he's also written one about the fixture.
  • Options
    swordfish said:

I think our team last season were Gentlemen.  Not many were players if performance is anything  to go by.

I only know this because I recently read David Kynaston's book On The Cusp, about Britain in 1962, although he's also written one about the fixture.
    He’s written a few excellent books 
  • Options
    swordfish said:

60 years ago.
  • Options
    I note following a call on Women's Hour there has been heated talk of re-branding the Lionesses as Lions. 

......... Runs for cover. 
  • Options
    swordfish said:

60 years ago.
    Even more pertinent!
  • Options
    I note following a call on Women's Hour there has been heated talk of re-branding the Lionesses as Lions. 

......... Runs for cover. 

The Lions are a nickname for a small club In Sarf London and the name of the best of British, when the Rugby team go traveling.

The lionesses are a great name for an English woman's football team. 

The Matilda's are a cracking name for the Aussie cricket team even though I prefer the Sheila's.